Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
That sounds like a real problem. Final Fantasy 4-6 convey a lot of concepts with a relatively sparse, simple, ambiguous set of sprite animations. And using the music is definitely a point in its favor; one of the most consistently praiseworthy things about the franchise is the quality of the soundtracks, even in the weird spinoff games and the divisive modern ones.

WoW thing is cool too. Nice to see new and different goon content, I'll pick up both for a listen later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You do a really good job of selectively picking what bits of NPC dialogue to showcase and placing them within the show well so that the actions of the protagonists make sense and you don't have to make up any dialogue of them deciding what to do next.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Sounds like the transit game Chris was pining for in the latest Idle Thumbs might be Cities In Motion. You get to design various transportation systems for cities based on actual European cities (the base game has Vienna, Berlin, Amsterdam and Helsinki, but there's a lot more as dlc.) that grow out as time passes. I got hooked on that game for dozens of hours when it came out. It was made by the developer that did Cities: Skylines.

There's also a sequel, but I never really got into it, so I can't really say how it compares.

(Just remember to turn down the traffic a bit when starting a game... I remember buses getting stuck in traffic a lot being an issue, at least early on. Maybe that got better with patches.)

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Hey credbern if you do end up doing any next up there are at least two or three goons in the megaten thread who would be able to assist you with any questions you'd have about the game

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork
After butchering japanese all the way, the Megaten Marathon guys stop have words about the right way to pronounce... Michael. Really?

Also, it bugs me every single goddamn time that at least one of them keeps saying Tensei as Tensai.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Late to the Bastion WOFF, but I have to say this is one of the rare times I had the exact same experience as you guys. Burned through the game, got to the end, chose to evacuate (after much agonizing), and then never touched it again. It just didn't feel right, even though I enjoyed it and never managed to get through the dream sequences. Also Bow supremacy.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

greatn posted:

You do a really good job of selectively picking what bits of NPC dialogue to showcase and placing them within the show well so that the actions of the protagonists make sense and you don't have to make up any dialogue of them deciding what to do next.

Thanks, that's mostly RPG Rabbit's work. It can be a tricky balance because on one hand, we want to recreate a kind of nostalgic familiarity with fans of the game. Like, if some NPC off the beaten path has something interesting to say, or something that foreshadows something (which it turns out there's a lot of) then we want to have him speak, though it can be hard to contrive a reason for Cecil to wander way out of the way to talk to a single guy. We aren't trying to write a story, but rather articulate an already written story, so we can't just say "Cecil was feeling lonesome and he knew there was company through the trees..." or anything like that because the idea of Cecil feeling lonely (or any kind of emotion) is not something we can just assume or interpret based on the small nuances of the sprites. There are some exceptions to be made, interjecting a little meta-narrative. For instance, if I or RPG Rabbit got lost while searching for something in the game, we might articulate that as "Cecil got lost..." We haven't had to cut very much -- occasionally there will be a single line of dialogue or a small conversation that isn't necessary.

I'm working on the script for Fallout, a game I'd like to do some day in the future, and it's a pain in the rear end because it's so massive and there's so much text. Whereas a single 45 episode in FFIV can encompass a visit to a town, a dungeon, a major plot point and a boss, in Fallout a 45 minute episode might be a handful of conversations and a radscorpion attack.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Do the script for a TAS run, that'll make it easier.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

thark posted:

After butchering japanese all the way, the Megaten Marathon guys stop have words about the right way to pronounce... Michael. Really?

Also, it bugs me every single goddamn time that at least one of them keeps saying Tensei as Tensai.

One of the guys saying how easy Japanese was cause you can only pronounce it in such limited ways and then proceeding to mangle the language every time he spoke was pretty great. Like dude you're not wrong but you actually have to make sure you're right on the pronunciation.

That said it's the first game that I'm actually playing a long with them so that's interesting. I have to wonder if they'll be as positive about it next episode, shortly after it leaves off the game becomes slightly harder and significantly more tedious. Although from them coming off of SMT 1 it probably will feel breezy.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

greatn posted:

Do the script for a TAS run, that'll make it easier.

It would simplify it, but we don't want to limit ourselves only the plot related NPCs and locations. There's lots of little side bits that are largely inconsequential but add a little flavor to the world.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

One of the guys saying how easy Japanese was cause you can only pronounce it in such limited ways and then proceeding to mangle the language every time he spoke was pretty great. Like dude you're not wrong but you actually have to make sure you're right on the pronunciation.
Next time on Phonology Watch: we put Kole on blast for mispronouncing "eroge" in the latest Abject Suffering. No podcaster is safe from our unwavering scrutiny.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The weight has been impossible to bear until this point. I crave punishment for my sins. Please, rake me and all others like me over the coals for our hubristic assumption that just because people could understand what we were saying, we were communicating effectively. In time, may we learn.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Spare me your crocodile tears. I know your kind don't change your ways just because we tell you to. As soon as we let you out of our sight, you'll go back to pronouncing "Caesar" with a voiceless alveolar sibilant instead of a voiceless velar stop, just like the rest. You're the worst kind of scum.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
For real though, I'm glad you don't let the prescriptivists get to you.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

credburn posted:

It would simplify it, but we don't want to limit ourselves only the plot related NPCs and locations. There's lots of little side bits that are largely inconsequential but add a little flavor to the world.

Oh I was just kidding, imagine the absurdity of the narration when glitches start being exploited and the game breaks down.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Childish Games

RSS: http://feeds.feedburner.com/childishgames

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/childishgamespod

Childish Games is a podcast I make with my 3 year old where he discusses video games and talks about the video games he wants to make and all the bosses in it. I try to prod more details out of him on plot, characters, and development.

Release Schedule: Bi-monthly

Episode 8: Finasal Fantasy 11: MMORPG(Megaman Mom On Ramp Phone Game)

https://soundcloud.com/childishgamespod/episode-8

In this episode of Childish Games, we start making Finasal Fantasy 11, continue making Mega Man 9, get an update from a special guest, and forget what we were doing.

Also I released a bonus episode two weeks ago but didn't post about it because the audio is low quality, it was the "pilot" recorded on a cell phone before anything else. It's a game called Claffy he references as lot.

greatn fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 22, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Song For The Deaf posted:

The weight has been impossible to bear until this point. I crave punishment for my sins. Please, rake me and all others like me over the coals for our hubristic assumption that just because people could understand what we were saying, we were communicating effectively. In time, may we learn.

Go on. I'm almost there.

FractalSandwich posted:

For real though, I'm glad you don't let the prescriptivists get to you.

In a way having someone correct your pronunciation of "eroge" is probably a self-esteem booster.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

wizard on a water slide posted:

In a way having someone correct your pronunciation of "eroge" is probably a self-esteem booster.
did you know that "hentai" doesn't mean the same thing in Japanese as it does in English? loanwords are cool

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Childish Games

Childish Games is a podcast I make with my 3 year old where he discusses video games and talks about the video games he wants to make and all the bosses in it. I try to prod more details out of him on plot, characters, and development.

Episode 9: Chrono Trigger 4

https://soundcloud.com/childishgamespod/episode-9-chrono-trigger-4

In this episode of Childish Games, we make a long awaited sequel to the SNES most beloved RPG, and a pizza.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
A literal child has beaten Gary and Kole to Chrono Trigger. :v:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Phone posted:

A literal child has beaten Gary and Kole to Chrono Trigger. :v:

Philistine, this is Chrono Trigger 4, a new an better game. Gary and Kole will probably be covering it in the new year when Watch Out for Lens Flare comes back.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bug Squash posted:

Philistine, this is Chrono Trigger 4, a new an better game. Gary and Kole will probably be covering it in the new year when Watch Out for Lens Flare comes back.

Chrono Trigger 4 was called Chrono Trigger 2 in the US.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hey, what's a good way to promote this? For the first time I saw actual strangers tweeting about this episode and that was awesome, I'd like more people to hear it, my only strategy so far is posting to twitter and Facebook.

I guess step one is actually bite the bullet and install iTunes so I can get this on iTunes? I don't even usually run a PC that can install iTunes, but I'll go ahead and boot back into my windows partition. I haven't found a way to submit it from my iPad.

Otherwise I don't really have any ideas to extend my reach. I've tweeted to some genre adjacent podcasts in the past who were kind enough to retweet, but I don't like doing that more than once.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I would suggest trying to get listed on itunes and make a facebook page for promotion to get people to rate it. That helps visibility. I'd also suggest posting them on youtube as well, easier to mix a visual element into it and get more exposure.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I'm gonna be straight with you guys: I still haven't gotten over "subsequent"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Hey, is it cool I mention my podcast again, here? I don't want to get annoying; I already posted the update in the Pimp Your Podcast thread in RGD, but I'm not sure how many people visit that. I hope you fellas know, I'm not making money off this or anything, so the only thing I have to gain is, I guess, more listenership. Which would be stellar.

The Spoony Bard's Aural Theatre.

It might be best described as an audio-only Let's Play driven by narration and goofy voice work in a game that previously had no vocal talent. This first "season" we're doing Final Fantasy IV, in 45 - 60 minute installments. It's just two of us -- my girlfriend and I -- doing the voice work, though after we complete this we're going to have lots of people contribute their voices. I'm currently writing a script for Fallout 1, and she wants to do a Shin Megami Tensei game after this (a series of which I'm not really familiar.) She's a dramaturg and has many degrees in Shakespeare and theatre; she mostly has worked adapting scripts for various themes, like not long ago she adapted the old Greek play Lysistrata into a 60s motown thing. She's also a huge nerd, so combining theatre and video games is a great motivation for her.

So the way we do it is, we essentially add a narrator to the game who describes, as objectively as possible what is happening on-screen. We use only the dialogue written in-game for voice work. In this case, we're using the localization for FFIV that came in the Final Fantasy Chronicles thing for the PS1. The original SNES release here (called Final Fantasy II) is so goofy that we couldn't use it without editing it, which we didn't want to do, and we didn't want this to be just a big jokey thing. I mean, there's humor in it, and humor in the way we're doing it, but we're trying to play it mostly straight.

This isn't exactly a "let's play" because we're playing it like a real story, and not a video game, though we try to incorporate video game stuff in a contextual way; for instance, a level up or just gaining experience may just use the narrative line, "having defeated the _____, they feel more experienced..." and we don't dwell on every single battle, though some grinding is quickly summarized. Also a few times when our party was wiped out and we had to reload a savegame, we try and incorporate that without specifically saying "reloaded the saved game" or whatever. There are lots of winks to those who are very familiar with the game, if you're savvy.

The latest episode is called the Tower of Zot. In this episode, Cecil and gang swap a crystal for a love interest and the story takes them all the way from the top of a tower down to the underground. There are several boss fights in this round, and we're approaching the climax. I think, maybe, this season will have four more episodes? It's hard to estimate, necessarily. Also, each episode is composed of roughly 10,000 words. Just a neat factoid, I guess; after ten episodes, it's essentially a complete book-on-tape.

Here is the episode

Future games we definitely want to do:

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (I think)
Fallout 1
Fallout 2
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2
Planescape: Torment
Final Fantasy VI
Finaly Fantasy VII (eh, maybe. Only if we get it done before the remake comes)
Final Fantasy VIII
Chrono Trigger
Ultima VII

One goon recommended the Paper Mario game, Thousand Year Door. It's also something we'd love to do, but since that's basically a cartoon, we need vocal talent that will extend beyond just having different voices; a more talented troupe of actors will be needed than just me and whoever. Oh, speaking of which, if you fellas have an idea for a game, OR YOU MIGHT WANT TO LEND YOUR VOICE please let us know! This game Girlfriend is writing as she plays it, but we're not going to start another project until we have a completed script, that way we can assign roles to people and they can record all their lines at once. Well, anyway, thanks. Sincerely, above everything else, we want you to enjoy this, and we want to make it enjoyable. We're very new at this, and this first season is kind of a proof of concept; it'll only get better. And this season's turning out much better than I initially anticipated.

Website
RSS
Facebook

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Not entirely sure whether or not I've shilled us before, but my friend Josh and I run a podcast over at Shareware. The show's first half is your typical podcast fare - rotating guest hosts, one topic per person, (ranging from "what I did when I was drunk last night" to "I'm actually going to talk about games") and entirely too much improv from yours truly. Some of the jokes don't land, some of them do, and there are a few episodes I'll even consider kind of funny.

(Check out Episode 11 if you're looking for the funny.)

The second half of the show is where cooler heads prevail, however - we choose one game per season, and devote what usually amounts to 60-90 minutes of pure discussion about the segment of the game we played. So far we've completed fourteen games, and we're sitting at a pretty solid backlog of 36 episodes. The games we've completed are as follows:

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
Uplink
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
INSIDE
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
A Story About My Uncle
Binary Domain
Cibele (christ)
Jet Set Radio
The Graveyard
Alpha Protocol
Ori and the Blind Forest
Mirror's Edge
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

If any of these games are near and dear to your heart, and you want to hear some further discussion on them, we do well enough for a group of hobbyists without any actual games journalism experience. I'm not going to claim that we're fantastic or anything, but we've come a long way since starting out almost a year ago. The game we'll be doing this week is Oxenfree, a somewhat forgotten release from early 2016. Come have a listen!

e: Christ, thought this was the "shill your podcast" thread, only just found the actual one in RGD. Let me know if I should take this down, didn't mean to be a dick. :kiddo:

klapman fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 8, 2016

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I'll give it a listen!

Also, I'm liking spoony bard.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

klapman posted:

e: Christ, thought this was the "shill your podcast" thread, only just found the actual one in RGD. Let me know if I should take this down, didn't mean to be a dick. :kiddo:

Errr this thread barely moves anymore bc the Thumbs seemed to stop posting a while back and afaik the Duckfeed fam sticks to their own sandbox. Advertising your own games podcast is one of the best possible uses for it, thanks for giving me something to check out this weekend.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

wizard on a water slide posted:

Errr this thread barely moves anymore bc the Thumbs seemed to stop posting a while back
I suspect they (or at least Jake) still read the thread, every once in a while at least.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I suspect they (or at least Jake) still read the thread, every once in a while at least.

Still read it daily!

I don't think we ever posted much except in response to others. Happy to be here reading along though.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

ja2ke posted:

Still read it daily!

I don't think we ever posted much except in response to others. Happy to be here reading along though.

I'm happy you're here too, Jake.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Chiming in to say that I read this thread on the reg. Just not that much to say from my end.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

zapjackson posted:

I'm happy you're here too, Jake.

I see you almost every day so this feels very emotionally hollow.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
If you guys wear gopros on your heads, would that be a first person cast? It can be a new genre of listening, an FPC.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Childish Games

Episode 10: Grasslands

https://soundcloud.com/childishgamespod/episode-10-grasslands

In this episode of Childish Games, we have a special holiday double episode where we make Grass Ball and another game all about grass called Clonglonglong and you won't believe who's developing it! The second half of the episode devolves into a play session and if you like ASMR it has a lot of Velcro and clanking plastic objects.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

So, uh, quite a day in gaming journo news. Kat owns and good on her for getting EIC at US Gamer. Really sucks that Chris Kohler got canned at Wired though. And while it wasn't announced today, Jared Petty leaving IGN bums me out as I've really enjoyed his perspective on things. While I don't know what he's going to be doing at EA, I'd assume whatever it is will limit his ability to comment on games publicly.

Also, good luck on growing Retronauts Bob and Jeremy. With your announcement I decided to quit being cheap and upped my contribution from $2 to $10 a month. You guys make my Monday commute considerably less lovely and I really hope you guys hit your goal.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 20, 2016

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Also, good luck on growing Retronauts Bob and Jeremy. With your announcement I decided to quit being cheap and upped my contribution from $2 to $10 a month. You guys make my Monday commute considerably less lovely and I really hope you guys hit your goal.

Patreon just emailed me that they've just jumped a reward tier, so clearly something is coming of this.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Thanks! Assuming we hit the weekly episodes tier that's next up, I'll be adding an "east coast" show to the mix featuring RDU-area people who will help us break into topics Bob and I can't speak about with any real expertise, such as vintage computers (courtesy of the editor of vintagecomputing.com). I'm looking forward to strengthening an area that's been a shortcoming of the show since its inception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Confirmed: Retronauts CliffyB exclusive.

On a more serious note, I guess with IBM being up the road (and RTP being developed around the IBM campus decades ago), there should be a massive knowledge pool about mini and micro computers in the area. Congrats on rolling out (and hitting) the new Patreon goals.