Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

This is exactly what I voted for. :swoon:

The batchall was an expert troll. :smugdon: Now we just have to be able to deliver. Good luck, Goons! In particular, good luck Bloody Pom. Use that Cauldron Born well. Shoot all the things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Neopie posted:

Okay. Would someone in the thread be inclined to prime me on the gun features and guns of my mech?

Your mech is kind of a doozy- It has a diverse selection of guns and movement options, and sorta needs careful planning.
The big guns that you will probably want to lean on for most of the time are the two iHLLs and the Gauss Rifle. These are all heavy damage weapons, doing 16/15 damage a shot respectively.
The "Improved" part of the Heavy Large Lasers means that they don't suffer from the +1 to hit penalty that regular HLLs have to deal with.
Buut it also means they explode when they take a hit, just like the Gauss Rifle (Except less deadly- The large only explodes for 8 damage). Luckily, they're all arm mounted, and clan mechs get CASE on all sections, so you can lose either arm and still remain super effective.

With the extra -3 heat from the environment, you're able to fire both HLLs and the gauss rifle while standing still, and remain heat neutral. Or, you can run for two turns, then cool off on the third while not suffering any heat penalties. Jumping would require changing things up though, so you're going to have to be very careful about when you want to start eating heat penalties.

The Plasma Cannon is a heat based weapon that does no damage to 'Mechs. Instead a hit deals 2d6 points of heat. It absolutely *murders* non-Mechs though- Vehicles or Infantry take 3d6 points of damage.

Finally the AP gauss is a long range anti-infantry weapon primarily, that also does a few points of damage to mechs. It does explode if hit like normal gauss rifles, but it's so tiny that it only does 3 damage.

You do have battlefists, and as such are good at punching things, but, that should really end up being a last resort option since you give up the ability to fire arm weapons, and all your big guns are in the arms.

I'd probably start out playing this machine as a mid range skirmisher, since your weapons have relatively good range. I'd also stay away from using the jets unless you really need to, since with only 4 jumping MP, you are screwing up your own shots more than any enemy shots against you. Keep them for if you really need to get over obstacles, or get a perfect position right in back of an enemy, but otherwise you're better off staying on the ground.
That's the last bit, MASC: You can get up to 8 MP in a turn by using MASC, but you really don't want to use it when not strictly needed, and definitely not multiple turns in a row unless you're super in trouble- The failure chance is leg crits, which have an annoying tendency to make your leg(s) pop off and kill you.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Here's hoping August picks up a name for this one. The fun part of Clan-on-Clan scenarios is it's basically all about the point-scoring and getting sweet kills.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

That's the last bit, MASC: You can get up to 8 MP in a turn by using MASC, but you really don't want to use it when not strictly needed, and definitely not multiple turns in a row unless you're super in trouble- The failure chance is leg crits, which have an annoying tendency to make your leg(s) pop off and kill you.

To reinforce Gwaihir's point, don't forget the story of Lil' Brudder

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Neopie posted:

Okay. Would someone in the thread be inclined to prime me on the gun features and guns of my mech?

Congratulations, Neopie: You have a ded shooty killing machine primed to cause all sorts of mayhem. You have MASC, which has a small chance to fail which increases each consecutive turn you use it but lets you run up to 8 hexes for that sweet +3 move mod. You have no less than three headcappers: Improved heavy larges (the 'improved') means no to-hit malus, but they can explode if crit) and a gauss rifle. The AP gauss is a nice little inexpensive extra plinker that can be really effective against infantry, and the plasma cannon is murder on vehicles and infantry/elementals, plus really great at overheating enemy mechs.

Now, the thing to watch out for is your heat. The IHLLs as you can see on the sheet produce a whopping 18 each or 36 total. Normally your heat sinks can't fully handle that, leaving you at 2 overheat if you fire both and don't even move. However, the extra -3 a turn really helps you. Sinking 37 heat, you can fire all three headcappers and only accrue heat from your movement. Your best bet is going to be volley firing, IE both IHLLS one turn, one and the plasma cannon/other toys the next, to keep from going higher than 4 overheat.

That help?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
The cautionary tale of David the formerly 4 legged mech is more relevant here I think.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

An Ebon Jaguar pulseboat? Are you trying to compensate for my terrible luck on hit rolls, PTN? :getin:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh huh, I'm on the alternates list. Checking in in case you need me!

This looks like a gud un' too :getin:

Niacin
Mar 8, 2005
not so much
Ooh, double LPL's and comfortably over-sinked. Should be good times, no?

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!
All that goodness and there's goon star competition between Bobbin and Niacin (potentially) baked into the scenario too.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Niacin posted:

Ooh, double LPL's and comfortably over-sinked. Should be good times, no?

I think its time the Clans threw a wicked Pink Floyd concert. Combat drugs and a wicked light show, it'll be sweet as hell.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Gee Bobbin, why does PTN let you have THREE Stormcrows?

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
Really excited to finally see the Scorps in action, and dancing on top of a glacier to boot.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Bloody Pom posted:

Gee Bobbin, why does PTN let you have THREE Stormcrows?

Pretty sure he only gets one of the three, but he's gotta choose which one. I vote the Stormcrow Prime for TINY HANDS PUNCHING.

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 1, 2016

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Epic batchall is epic. Looking forwards to watching this one.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

A fast heavy full of pulse lasers and streaks, and my objective is killing light mechs? Bring it on :pcgaming:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I am extremely sanguine about that Stormcrow B.

(Really though I'd probably go the LBX version, I love the LBX/LPL/MPL combo, great range, great hitting power, good hit modding)

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

I am extremely sanguine about that Stormcrow B.

(Really though I'd probably go the LBX version, I love the LBX/LPL/MPL combo, great range, great hitting power, good hit modding)

All the storm crows are super good. But pulse lasers and an LBX is super saucy. I would probably also take that one.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I feel like minimizing the chances of dice loving you over via bringing the most accurate weapons available is always a good option, no?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Artificer posted:

I feel like minimizing the chances of dice loving you over via bringing the most accurate weapons available is always a good option, quiaff?

FTFY

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

On the other hand, Ultra AC20! And a bunch of medium lasers are never bad.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, it's a really hard choice. Feels like there's just not quite enough cover for the UAC suckerpunch to work all that well on this map though, combined with ammo issues.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

This is going to be great :munch: A huge crevasse, incentives to try shoving an enemy in, slippery surfaces, what could go wrong?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Dumb question: the gargoyle G has the goal 'punch a mech half your weight,' does this mean you need exactly 40 tons, or is one of the smaller guys also an acceptable target?

I look forward to goonforce pulling widowmakers into the chasm with them.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
PTN, can the players fulfill a Bonus Objective by not using any contractions for the duration of the mission?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

vorebane posted:

Dumb question: the gargoyle G has the goal 'punch a mech half your weight'

Or less. Half your weight or less.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

PTN, can the players fulfill a Bonus Objective by not using any contractions for the duration of the mission?

Even in jest, why suggest something that would be a chore for me to try to do and unfun for them to attempt?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Some people just want to watch people get cheevos :shrug:

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Eh, I think some of us might think that's fun. I did for one post, but then I was like 'naah, if anyone notices at all they'll think it's OTT'. (plus it was work, but some like that :D)

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 1, 2016

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I'll be visiting family next week, so if I come up as an alternate that week I'll have to pass. I'll be back to my goony flat on the 10th.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

RA Rx posted:

Eh, I think some of us might think that's fun. I did for one post, but then I was like 'naah, if anyone notices at all they'll think it's OTT'. (plus it was work, but some like that :D)

If people want to do it for fun sure, but it's absolutely not something I'm going to monitor. I have enough trouble editing contractions out of my own dialogue haha.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, it's a really hard choice. Feels like there's just not quite enough cover for the UAC suckerpunch to work all that well on this map though, combined with ammo issues.

Oh, I'm not arguing that it is the optimal choice. Only that opening someone up with a UAC20 is always a good time. That's a decent part of why I never sign up to pilot. The urge would be strong to just run forward holding down the alpha strike button until I'm out of ammo, blown up, or all enemies have been sacrificed for the glory of King Dadlas.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sel Nar has passed, Back Hack is up in the Nova!

Players with `Mechs and/or Elementals to choose from were sent PMs yesterday, please respond to those as soon as practical.

If I don't get a response your unit will be determined randomly.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 1, 2016

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If someone isn't responding to even pick their unit, shouldn't an alternate just take over?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
You could maybe give them at least 24 hours before you try to have them booted, friend.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Sel Nar has passed, Back Hack is up in the Nova!

Players with `Mechs and/or Elementals to choose from were sent PMs yesterday, please respond to those as soon as practical.

If I don't get a response your unit will be determined randomly.

PM sent. Please fling vituperation at me if this didnt work/was not acceptable.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Not sure which Elemental to bring, but I'm thinking Salamanders to help possibly 'shutdown' mechs to complete my personal goal. Thoughts? :ohdear:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Back Hack posted:

Not sure which Elemental to bring, but I'm thinking Salamanders to help possibly 'shutdown' mechs to complete my personal goal. Thoughts? :ohdear:

You're fighting on Hoth, I don't know (one way or the other) how effective a plan trying to shut down things by heat will be. It'd probably still piss them off, though. :v:

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

The fun of working two high-volume jobs that ramp up for the month of December; I'm pulling 60+ hour work weeks all month, and don't get a day off until the 31st.

I really wanted to join in, but the work schedule really kicked me in the teeth this time around. Sorry guys.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Back Hack posted:

I think you should get back on Jabber!!

e: Salamanders would help you a lot with that though- You'll have to coordinate with Neopie to get a good chance at shutting down an enemy mech either way, but the Salamanders will help guarantee it. Unless PTN is using optional rules though, you can only generate a maximum of 15 heat from external sources. Your plasma cannon does an average of ~6-7 heat, but Salamanders can pump out 30 heat on their own (if they hit).

15 overheat is totally enough to start seriously screwing an enemy mech though- +15 heat means your target has -3mp, +2 on it's shooting, and needs to roll a 4+ to avoid shutdown. You'd really need two turns in a row of pounding the heat to guarantee a shutdown: 22 heat is avoid shutdown on 8+, and 30 is the guarantee.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

Zaodai posted:

You're fighting on Hoth, I don't know (one way or the other) how effective a plan trying to shut down things by heat will be. It'd probably still piss them off, though. :v:

Thought: There is water under the ice. The ice currently supports mechs. Infernos may change that.

• Locked thread