Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing
I have an extremely specialized and nerdy request: is there an app that can read the sensors and make a notification appear when over a certain threshold, like if the magnitude of acceleration is over a limit? I know there are apps that can read a phone or tablet's sensors, but I'm looking for one that can specifically post a notification message or send an alert or something. If Tasker can do this I'll just go get that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Blue Train posted:

Thirding solid explorer owning tho

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Seconding this, it's a very solid app.

Is SE that much better than just Explorer? Already installed the latter but if it's like, that much better I can swap out.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Is SE that much better than just Explorer? Already installed the latter but if it's like, that much better I can swap out.

I've tried most of the major file managers for Android and they've all annoyed me in some way, except Solid Explorer, it's really that good.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I switched to Solid Explorer when EZ started putting bullshit in their app, zero complaints.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

xtal posted:

Pocket Casts has a terrible UI but in my experience it's the least-worse

I like it :shrug:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

Basically I suggested it because it's free. Solid isn't necessarily worse but it's not better and the Root Explorer guy (same as Explorer minus root) at least isn't making a bad product. Plus it's nice that it includes everything you'd need, cloud/SMB built in rather than through extra apps.

Given how seldom you should be touching the file system (I bet I haven't opened Root Explorer in 2016) really anything's fine.

FYI, the Nexus *should* have a file explorer built in, it's just not very good and hard to get to. If you go to Settings > Storage & USB, at the very bottom is Explore. It's very bare-bones, don't expect much.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

48 Hour Boner posted:

I have an extremely specialized and nerdy request: is there an app that can read the sensors and make a notification appear when over a certain threshold, like if the magnitude of acceleration is over a limit? I know there are apps that can read a phone or tablet's sensors, but I'm looking for one that can specifically post a notification message or send an alert or something. If Tasker can do this I'll just go get that!

Tasker only has these in the sensor category:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tamba posted:

Tasker only has these in the sensor category:

Oh poo poo that reminded me that I actually purchased Tasker way back in the day but haven't used it. Is there still a Tasker specific topic here on SA?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

48 Hour Boner posted:

Before you go down this rabbit hole. I don't think there are APIs to trigger on these kinds of conditions. If there are no APIs then the only way to monitor is to constantly poll the sensors, which requires an actively running app. This would kill your battery.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

FunOne posted:

Before you go down this rabbit hole. I don't think there are APIs to trigger on these kinds of conditions. If there are no APIs then the only way to monitor is to constantly poll the sensors, which requires an actively running app. This would kill your battery.

The Moto double-twist camera or karate-chop flashlight work by doing exactly this within specific gesture ranges, I'm pretty sure modern SoCs can handle it but it's probably at a level where you'd have to reassign some phone manufacturer features with hacky crap. Like a sideways approach to the problem.

It does sound like a nightmare without APIs, though.

Edit: Doubleday Boner man, is the device expected to be plugged-in during this usage? Or just restrained like in a car cradle, or what?

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 30, 2016

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Holy loving poo poo, the latest Hangouts updates seems to have fixed both the "custom named group contact icon not displaying correctly" bug AND the "sms contact photos not displaying within the chat thread" bug. Maybe Trump's American isn't that bad...

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh poo poo that reminded me that I actually purchased Tasker way back in the day but haven't used it. Is there still a Tasker specific topic here on SA?

Technically yes, if you enjoy threads that haven't been touched in over six months.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

sweart gliwere posted:

The Moto double-twist camera or karate-chop flashlight work by doing exactly this within specific gesture ranges, I'm pretty sure modern SoCs can handle it but it's probably at a level where you'd have to reassign some phone manufacturer features with hacky crap. Like a sideways approach to the problem.

It does sound like a nightmare without APIs, though.

Edit: Doubleday Boner man, is the device expected to be plugged-in during this usage? Or just restrained like in a car cradle, or what?

I kind of figured it was complicated. I picked up a Chinese smartwatch for :10bux:, and you can send any notification you want to it provided it's only text. Currently I get work email and texts on it, I thought it would be cool if I could get a watch message when something triggers the sensors over a threshold. It looks like that would technically work albeit at a significant battery cost. Thanks thread! :)

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Blue Train posted:

Loads of ads and pop-ups now, it's bad. Thirding solid explorer owning tho

Never ran into any popups myself, but yeah, adsadads, you can't kill the (ad-enhanced) "home" window that is mainly useless, no more dark theme option (unless it was added very recently), and gently caress YOU ES I DON'T WANT A GODDAMN NOISE FOR EVERY TOUCH OR SCREEN-WIPE.

I still use it (updates turned off) because I like the handling of streaming media over SMB, and that it can stream pictures over SMB without individually downloading them to my tablet first - they don't make me choose an image, download it to storage, display the image, and oh hey repeat for any other pictures you want. ES is select image, view, swipe for next/previous.

The old pre-adfucked versions are still better, though.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Is there a generally good cleaning/housekeeping app? I've tried a handful but I'm not sure which is better or if they're really doing anything at all (e.g. 360, Power Cleaner, etc)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

Holy loving poo poo, the latest Hangouts updates seems to have fixed both the "custom named group contact icon not displaying correctly" bug AND the "sms contact photos not displaying within the chat thread" bug. Maybe Trump's American isn't that bad...

Holy poo poo!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

96 spacejam posted:

Is there a generally good cleaning/housekeeping app? I've tried a handful but I'm not sure which is better or if they're really doing anything at all (e.g. 360, Power Cleaner, etc)

They're all useless poo poo and if you tried any your phone is full of Chinese viruses now, congrats.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

96 spacejam posted:

SD Maid works for me and is well regarded, regularly updated.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
On a similar note is there a good housekeeping app for actual housekeeping? Set up weekly chores and things that need to be done?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Spermanent Record posted:

On a similar note is there a good housekeeping app for actual housekeeping? Set up weekly chores and things that need to be done?

Couldn't you just set up recurring events in google calendar? If you use a computer to log on you can even create a new, uh, calendar category thing for them to go under so you can disable them on other devices if you want.

I use this a lot for weekly stuff I'd forget otherwise.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I have a bunch of Google Now recurring reminders for that too

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Changelog Droid appears not to work on Nougat. Is there another good changelog app? I found Changelogs, but it's not very good about showing only the apps with updates.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Like what are you looking for it to do. If you need a reminder, I'll second the alarms, but if it's more of a habit tracker, I have Habit Hub although I haven't been using it for the last few months.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I don't know if this is on Android or only a web app but Habitica is a dumb little RPG where you level up by doing poo poo on your to do list. For a lot of people it's pretty stupid and I don't use it but have a few friends whose dopamine buttons are properly activated by little "+3 XP!" messages whenever they take out the trash or whatever, might be worth a shot.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Wrist Watch posted:

Couldn't you just set up recurring events in google calendar? If you use a computer to log on you can even create a new, uh, calendar category thing for them to go under so you can disable them on other devices if you want.

I use this a lot for weekly stuff I'd forget otherwise.
I do this for some stuff, then I use Tasks (based off of the Astrid source code) for other things that I need to make sure I mark as complete before they disappear.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Open Google Calendar, hit the floating + and choose 'Goal'. It'll present you with a few suggestions like 'clean', 'exercise', 'call your parents you wretched ingrate', or 'add your own'. Tell it how often you want to do that, when you want to do that and for how long, and it'll find a time for you.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Is the YouTube app not saving your spot in videos anymore? It used to do it automatically when switching between the app and desktop but now whenever I watch a video, it just starts from the beginning.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

i like tacos posted:

Is the YouTube app not saving your spot in videos anymore? It used to do it automatically when switching between the app and desktop but now whenever I watch a video, it just starts from the beginning.

Mine seems to be forgetting my place a lot when I switch away to do something else. When I come back, it'll autoplay from the beginning. It will also automatically play the last video I watched if I don't manually close the video, which is super annoying if I just want to look around the app and not watch anything and all of a sudden my phone starts emitting audio.

I think it's getting kicked out of memory and losing my place when that happens.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Uthor posted:

It will also automatically play the last video I watched if I don't manually close the video, which is super annoying if I just want to look around the app and not watch anything and all of a sudden my phone starts emitting audio.

Especially annoying when you have Youtube Red and it starts blasting audio in the middle of a meeting, requiring you to press back 500 times to close it as the home or power button just keeps it playing in the background.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
So all SwiftKey themes are free for Christmas.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

i like tacos posted:

It's always been unreliable for me. Sometimes it works perfectly between my phone/ipad/pc/roku tv, sometimes not. It feels like it's gotten a lot better lately, but it's still a bit of a crapshoot too often for me to trust it completely.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Been giving Google Play Music a try for the past week or so. I managed to get it to play some songs that don't make me want to tear my ears off, but the interface feels so clunky, unresponsive, requires way too many taps to do simple things. For example, can't vote up/down on a song from the lock screen.

I've also found the connection to be absurdly unreliable, I mainly use it in my car during commute and it seems to get through 3 or 4 songs before giving up, just going silent. I have to unlock the phone, open the app, click play, wait 10 seconds or so, can't tell if its doing anything or not, click play again, oh, it looks like it might be loading a song now? Ok the light is green again, drop the phone and continue driving... and its still not playing... wait for the next stoplight to gently caress with it again.... The whole time my signal is showing like 75% LTE connectivity, I'm driving around in a major city, not the bermuda triangle.

I really was hoping it would be good because I think I read that its supposed to have a much larger library of content than Pandora, but the user experience is abysmal in comparison.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
You might want to try Spotify. The free version of that always seemed kind of OK, where you can even play specific albums on shuffle. Of course the real benefit these things have over Pandora is the premium version where you just have access to everything, but you probably already knew that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

peepsalot posted:

Been giving Google Play Music a try for the past week or so. I managed to get it to play some songs that don't make me want to tear my ears off, but the interface feels so clunky, unresponsive, requires way too many taps to do simple things. For example, can't vote up/down on a song from the lock screen.

I've also found the connection to be absurdly unreliable, I mainly use it in my car during commute and it seems to get through 3 or 4 songs before giving up, just going silent. I have to unlock the phone, open the app, click play, wait 10 seconds or so, can't tell if its doing anything or not, click play again, oh, it looks like it might be loading a song now? Ok the light is green again, drop the phone and continue driving... and its still not playing... wait for the next stoplight to gently caress with it again.... The whole time my signal is showing like 75% LTE connectivity, I'm driving around in a major city, not the bermuda triangle.

I really was hoping it would be good because I think I read that its supposed to have a much larger library of content than Pandora, but the user experience is abysmal in comparison.

Interesting, you're describing my experience with Pandora except saying it's GPM.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I am trying out firefox for the adblock,
but the way it handles bigger text and zoom seems to be pretty bad. I tried one of the add-ons on that's suppose to fix this but it made things worst i think. is there a good addon for this problem?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I recently switched back to Android from a Win phone and I don't care much for the keyboard. In some apps a double tap on a word will select it, in other apps it does nothing, in some apps it asks if I want to select everything. It doesn't anticipate that I want to paste something I just cut or copied from another tab. Sometimes double tapping or press and hold does nothing useful. Adding words to the dictionary isn't as quick. In general the keyboard just isn't as polished and doesn't work as well. Are there alternative keyboards that are better?

And before anyone feels the need to defend it, I'm more happy with Android. Swipe works much better. It has apps that work and get updated more than once a year or two. Just not 100% happy with the keyboard.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

wormil posted:

I recently switched back to Android from a Win phone and I don't care much for the keyboard. In some apps a double tap on a word will select it, in other apps it does nothing, in some apps it asks if I want to select everything. It doesn't anticipate that I want to paste something I just cut or copied from another tab. Sometimes double tapping or press and hold does nothing useful. Adding words to the dictionary isn't as quick. In general the keyboard just isn't as polished and doesn't work as well. Are there alternative keyboards that are better?

And before anyone feels the need to defend it, I'm more happy with Android. Swipe works much better. It has apps that work and get updated more than once a year or two. Just not 100% happy with the keyboard.

The context menu behaving inconsistently between apps is, unfortunately, because apps control how that works rather than the keyboard (which can't really see into the text field).

Anyway, the default keyboard varies by device. Manufacturers have their own, you should generally avoid these. Google would like you to use their keyboard, which is the one I like/work on, but may be the one you're unhappy with ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Other good keyboards include Swiftkey, which touts its learning capabilities and has a free theme promo going right now. Fleksy if you need easy access to gifs. Swype, known for swiping I guess? Nintype if you're feeling unconventional and want to try for wpm highscores.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Femur posted:

I am trying out firefox for the adblock,
but the way it handles bigger text and zoom seems to be pretty bad. I tried one of the add-ons on that's suppose to fix this but it made things worst i think. is there a good addon for this problem?

This is a lot easier to answer if you elaborate on what exactly "pretty bad" and "fix" mean.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wormil posted:

As Steely Glint says, it's impossible to know what you want until you tell us what you have. In general, people seem to be happy with Swype, SwiftKey, or the Google Keyboard depending on your preferred method of typing.

Actually this is a good time to ask something: I was in the official Philips Hue app and noticed they disable swiping in their renaming fields. How loving annoying! Has anyone else has ever seen this before? I've seen it for password fields but I could of course see the letters and I wouldn't suspect you could have one without the other. This was on the Google Keyboard if that makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

LastInLine posted:

Actually this is a good time to ask something: I was in the official Philips Hue app and noticed they disable swiping in their renaming fields. How loving annoying! Has anyone else has ever seen this before? I've seen it for password fields but I could of course see the letters and I wouldn't suspect you could have one without the other. This was on the Google Keyboard if that makes a difference.

iPhone ports seem to be doing this. ibird is an example, and yes it's annoying as heck.