Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

exploded mummy posted:

UFC has the exact same issue, but their rates aren't reduced as much as WWE.

They're losing a bit of money in the sense that live production is more expensive then taped, and they're eating that difference.

SD being live really wasn't a condition of the deal, it was more or less WWE and USA cutting a deal to boost the SD ratings and getting it off a night where it had to run against football.

It's worked well for the first 6 or so months at least.

I think Meltzer the other day said that TV money is up (and hiding PPV losses).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WWE revenue is up, but the WWE Network is a huge money sink and they effectively abandoned the PPV market, which means profits aren't what they used to be. It doesn't help that Network subscriber numbers have stagnated and haven't hit projections after 2 years.

The company's financials aren't nearly as dire as some people want to believe, but we shouldn't pretend it's all sunshine and rainbows, either.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Harnarayan Singh, he of the amazing Punjabi NHL goal calls, made his English broadcast debut last night for Sportsnet. He looked so amped up, it was awesome.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fox will outfit referees with cameras during the B1G championship game and have live feeds from them. Neat.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

That is a terrible idea and I'm for it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cash Monet posted:

That is a terrible idea and I'm for it.

They've done ref-cams in hockey for a couple years now and it rules, but i'm sure it helps that they're skating and gliding. Unless they're gonna have stabilizers of some kind I'd imagine it's going to be shaky as hell for someone running.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DJExile posted:

They've done ref-cams in hockey for a couple years now and it rules, but i'm sure it helps that they're skating and gliding. Unless they're gonna have stabilizers of some kind I'd imagine it's going to be shaky as hell for someone running.

It'll probably be for goal-line situations and maybe refs trying to dig bodies out of a pile for possession. Unless they get that 4.0 40 ref I can't imagine it'll be used for actively chasing a dude down.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

Unless they get that 4.0 40 ref

This would own. Imagine some side judge out-running a WR along the sideline on a deep ball

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DJExile posted:

This would own. Imagine some side judge out-running a WR along the sideline on a deep ball

I'm pretty sure I saw this with a ref and DeSean Jackson to make sure he didn't drop the ball before the line

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Niwrad posted:

It's bizarre to me that they haven't figured this out. Just make sure you have an extra late game or two each week.

I think the best solution is killing TNF, adding a second bye week for each team, and staggering the games on Sunday better. Just have them all start at 12pm local time each week with the exception for a game of the week that starts late. That way your Sunday has games starting and finishing at different times. Much more exciting.

https://twitter.com/GallesKraco3/status/804520721477210112

Speak of the devil.

There's just got to be a better model than this....

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

FuzzySkinner posted:

Speak of the devil.

Chiefs-Falcons, Dolphins-Ravens, Lions-Saints, Eagles-Bengals and 49ers-Bears will all be varying levels of fun, good or competitive idgi

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Spoeank posted:

Chiefs-Falcons, Dolphins-Ravens, Lions-Saints, Eagles-Bengals and 49ers-Bears will all be varying levels of fun, good or competitive idgi

They're at the same time. NFL typically has 8-9 early games and then 3-4 late games. Why not space them out more so that it's easier to follow? Easy solution is to have West Coast teams get the late afternoon game when they are on the road in the Central time zone. For instance, the Bears-Niners should be a late game. Not only does it balance the day but Niners fans don't have to watch their team play at 10 in the loving morning.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Oh I misread it as "look at all this trash on at the same time" :downs:

And 10 am games own. West Coast football experience is great.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Get rid of Thursday night and do Sunday doubleheaders on both channels.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Spoeank posted:

It's pretty great, only MNF and TNF start in the middle of my commute, living in mountain time was the sweet spot.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spoeank posted:

Unless you root for a Big Ten team and have to wake up by 9am almost every Saturday :(

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

MourningView posted:

Unless you root for a Big Ten team and have to wake up by 9am almost every Saturday :(

La Liga has 6 am EDT games, at least the Premier League has the decency to not start before 7:45

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

Maybe the joke's on you since you root for a B1G T1N team :grin:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Speaking of La Liga, why the hell is El Clasico on at 7:15 a.m. PT this week? I need those 11:45 a.m. start times to accommodate my Saturday morning hangovers.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Benne posted:

Speaking of La Liga, why the hell is El Clasico on at 7:15 a.m. PT this week? I need those 11:45 a.m. start times to accommodate my Saturday morning hangovers.

That is bizarre. I thought Spain played games really late at night. Isn't that what they do? Weirdly late like after their late dinner or whatever?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

algebra testes posted:

That is bizarre. I thought Spain played games really late at night. Isn't that what they do? Weirdly late like after their late dinner or whatever?
Not always. They tend to space their games out more during the day. You'll never guess why!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Spoeank posted:

Yeah, while I'm not a fan of the current NFL product? I wouldn't say any of those games are bad.

In fact..I'm bummed I won't be able to see a lot of them.

Niwrad posted:

They're at the same time. NFL typically has 8-9 early games and then 3-4 late games. Why not space them out more so that it's easier to follow? Easy solution is to have West Coast teams get the late afternoon game when they are on the road in the Central time zone. For instance, the Bears-Niners should be a late game. Not only does it balance the day but Niners fans don't have to watch their team play at 10 in the loving morning.

You got 12 games this Sunday on the networks. By the time 4:30 or so hits? 66 percent of them will be done. I think the goal would be to cut that number down to 50 percent.

The model itself feels very dated. You don't get anything in terms of choice, and it feels like the NFL is still using broadcast rules from when the Dumont Network was a thing.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

algebra testes posted:

Crazy Ted posted:

Not always. They tend to space their games out more during the day. You'll never guess why!

These are both true, but I'm still scratching my head at the early start.

For soccer laymen in this thread, El Clasico is the semi-annual grudge match between Barcelona and Real Madrid. It's routinely the biggest global ratings draw in club soccer, and La Liga usually does a good job scheduling it late enough to get the most eyeballs around the world. Putting it on so early, while making it compete with the meat of the EPL slate, is such an odd decision to me.

Benne fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 2, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I guess there is only one marquee EPL game (City v Chelsea) so maybe they figure El Classico will outdraw the rest of the Big Team v Little team games or whatever.

Crazy Ted posted:

It's so they can have siestas, right? ;)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

algebra testes posted:

It's so they can have siestas, right? ;)
Aren't siestas a once/afternoon thing?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Speak of the devil.

NFL needs to learn from March Madness opening weekend and space those out at like 15 minute intervals. That way you can jump from the end of one game to the next all through the day.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

NFL needs to learn from March Madness opening weekend and space those out at like 15 minute intervals. That way you can jump from the end of one game to the next all through the day.
But then Fox and CBS wouldn't be able to do their halftime segments. :v:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Didn't La Liga start doing really odd game times to accommodate the Chinese market or something like that?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crazy Ted posted:

Maybe the joke's on you since you root for a B1G T1N team :grin:

I didn't ask for this life. We all have our crosses to bear and mine is dragging myself out of bed hungover to watch two teams exchange a combined 75 punts

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Didn't La Liga start doing really odd game times to accommodate the Chinese market or something like that?

Possible. I usually go to a pub to watch Arsenal in the morning and if El Clasico is going on I'll grab lunch and stick around. I was planning on doing that since I figured El Clasico was like a 2:30 start time.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Benne posted:

I think it's because La Liga wanted to put a big game in the traditional Premier League multi game window as competition

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bird in a Blender posted:

I like the idea, and this something that needs to be encourage.

Josh Lyman posted:

But then Fox and CBS wouldn't be able to do their halftime segments. :v:

http://deadspin.com/5678805/the-chuckling-idiots-of-nfl-pregame-shows-a-video-compilation

WE CAN'T MISS OUT ON THAT FUN!

(seriously..the NFL has the worst coverage in all of sports..)

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I think it's because La Liga wanted to put a big game in the traditional Premier League multi game window as competition

Yep. The game was originally scheduled for Sunday night local time.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Fox is in a bad spot with UFC but they are slowly positioning themselves as the place for soccer. Granted NBC owns the premiere league but fox has Bundesliga, all UEFA, and they now have the next World Cup. They also have carried things like COPA and still split MLS with espn.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

soggybagel posted:

still split MLS with espn.

What does this have to do with soccer

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Idea for soggybagel: tell the Fox guys to consider rebranding Fox Soccer Plus as FS3 and integrate their programming with one another.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Idea for soggybagel: tell the Fox guys to consider rebranding Fox Soccer Plus as FS3 and integrate their programming with one another.

and stop making it a premium channel, there's no reason to watch it besides the aussie rules grand final

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Vertical Lime posted:

and stop making it a premium channel, there's no reason to watch it besides the aussie rules grand final

Let me tell you about Multimatch 90.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I wouldn't be surprised to see NBC come hard after UFC, not only for their sports channel but also to maybe position at least one program with wrestling. MMA and wrestling generally both do better ratings when paired together, much to the chagrin of some fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Magic Johnson and Michael Wilbon are back on "NBA Countdown" because..... reasons?