Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

TotalLossBrain posted:

lmao fucker deserved that just for the stupid stack he's running.

and the wheels, and the lift. way to ruin a good usable truck. :|

From the factory they have some form of block on the axle anyway to act as the bumpstop. mine has one and nopenopenope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

I completely forgot to mention this... VW brought us real-life, actual cases of blinker fluid, but it took BMW to put electrons in the water pumps and water in the electron pumps.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
https://gfycat.com/SpryArtisticHamadryad

e: I’m linking it because SA’s embed code is dumb and it breaks tables something fierce.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 1, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Also through the FITV and the goddamned throttle body?

I mean, if everything's a constant temperature, I get that it's easier to control things. But, still. Coolant in the Idle Air Control Valve?! Jesus christ. This is a simple engine. Everything else on it is simple, easy to understand. Comparable to only my Enfield in engine simplicity. But this?!

I was going to paste the infamous twin turbo RX7 vacuum line diagram, but felt I should keep it in the Honda family.

I'm thinking it's a late 2nd gen since it has an 1500cc with a carb - I think the 3rd gen's 1.5 had EFI?

edit: whoops. looked up the engine code, found the CARB executive order for it from 1984, for a 1985 model year. So I guess that engine was approved for sale in California in the middle of the 3rd gen's run.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 1, 2016

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

the infamous twin turbo RX7 vacuum line diagram

I get 'nam flashbacks every time I see that poo poo. There was a bank of solenoids in the guts of that loving spaghetti mess that never got recalled, even though they knew they were shitter than poo poo, so they were just replacing them on a case-by-case basis. I did about 20 of those things things in 1999-2000, with each one having a warranty time of ten hours. Mazda being Mazda, that time was basically only achievable if you had wrists that bent all the way backwards so you could touch the point of your own elbow, and also if you designed the emissions system to begin with.

Many years later I was doing some work for a Mazda tuning house, and one of the cars that I did the warranty work on came in to get the twin turbos thrown away and a proper aftermarket set up done. I recognised the white-out markings that I would make on the individual vacuum tubes. Tearing all of that poo poo off without any regard for where anything went and throwing it all in the bin was a cathartic experience.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Yep. Tyres proper hosed. Torn out belts and everything.

POSSIBLY could patch it, tube it and run it as a spare, but considering where these machines go and how inaccessible they can get when they're working its not worth the risk for $1500... I dont really want to blow a tyre when im hanging on a 40 degree slope above a gully thats 500m deep below me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

On the plus side you now have a bitchin tyre swing right?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Sell the busted tire to a crossfit gym for $2000

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Sell the busted tire to a crossfit gym for $2000

Charge people $250/month for access to it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sell it on etsy for $2500 as a rustic artisinal flower planter

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Powershift posted:

sell it on etsy for $2500 as a rustic artisinal flower planter

30 bucks for an old motorcycle tire

Each tire comes with 15 feet of rope and an easy to disconnect carabiner.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Impending transmission failure:

E: I can't figure out how to get the stupid thing to play

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 1, 2016

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Door Frame posted:

Impending transmission failure:

How so?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I assume the car is towing the semi.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

I'm assuming the Audi is towing the lorry.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Is the gif not playing? It's totally towing the truck, and at least 1 axle on the truck isn't spinning

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

How about just link it?

I'd say transmission of the gif failed :q:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Krakkles posted:

How about just link it?

I'd say transmission of the gif failed :q:

:(

http://i.imgur.com/naU4c4Ah.gif

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think that one axle that's not spinning may be elevated.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Ah, there we go.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even with the link I get a still image so maybe imgur is hosed for some of us.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Data Graham posted:

I think that one axle that's not spinning may be elevated.

Correct, it's a tag axle that isn't being used.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

xzzy posted:

Even with the link I get a still image so maybe imgur is hosed for some of us.

Try hitting ctrl+f5, I had the same issue but it loaded for me after that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/naU4c4A.mp4

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ferremit posted:

Ballast helps with stability and traction- Each of my rear tyres has about half a tonne of water/glycol mix in them and the fronts are about 300kg each. Nearly 1.5T of tyre ballast lowers your centre of gravity to the point where this thing will happily climb and descend 40 degree slopes and a 30 degree side slope, while making you poo poo yourself, isnt that big a deal.

We've got radials on it because it would do 2-3000kms a year driving on the road between parks. Bit different from a farm tractor that might go paddock to paddock, our two furthest parks apart are nearly 3hrs travel time each way.

Why would you not load the tractor on a trailer and truck it there in that case?

buttcrackmenace posted:

out of curiosity I started computing the strength of the materials that would be needed to keep the driver's seat in place in a ~35MPH crash into an immovable barrier

the numbers almost immediately became ridiculous

Uh, the exact same strength of materials it would take to keep any driver's seat in place? Do you mean because of the swivel feature? Because that's hardly unique. See '70s GM A-bodies and almost any custom van.

kastein posted:

Take pictures, cancel the payment with your bank, and tell them they need to pay for the replacement parts or you'll see them in court? That's some high grade fuckery.

Speaking of high grade fuckery, take a gander at this. I was really confused till I read a bit...
https://www.facebook.com/100001808796830/videos/1252202608183354/

turns out that's a ford/international 7.3L IDI nonturbo. The RMS rides on the OD of the crank bolt flange and the flywheel bolt holes are through drilled on this particular motor. So if the crankcase gets filled with something past the bottom of the crank flange, it will pour out when you remove the bolts. I'm guessing this truck was sank in a pond or stream while offroading... which is why water pours out till the level drops enough that the oil floating on top of it can get to the holes.

LSx-based motors will piss oil from the crankshaft bolts, too. Just learned that on Finnegan's Garage.

quote:

e:
don't do burnouts in your brodozer with a janky (probably lift blocks) rear suspension!
https://www.facebook.com/DieselTruckAddicts/videos/1357927934239217/

That's hilarious. Especially when FB keeps looping it...

Memento posted:

I get 'nam flashbacks every time I see that poo poo. There was a bank of solenoids in the guts of that loving spaghetti mess that never got recalled, even though they knew they were shitter than poo poo, so they were just replacing them on a case-by-case basis. I did about 20 of those things things in 1999-2000, with each one having a warranty time of ten hours. Mazda being Mazda, that time was basically only achievable if you had wrists that bent all the way backwards so you could touch the point of your own elbow, and also if you designed the emissions system to begin with.

Many years later I was doing some work for a Mazda tuning house, and one of the cars that I did the warranty work on came in to get the twin turbos thrown away and a proper aftermarket set up done. I recognised the white-out markings that I would make on the individual vacuum tubes. Tearing all of that poo poo off without any regard for where anything went and throwing it all in the bin was a cathartic experience.

And speaking of coolant through the ACV, don't second-gen RX-7s do that, too?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Terrible Robot posted:

Correct, it's a tag axle that isn't being used.

quote:

What benefit does a tag deliver anyway? Well, it provides an increase in carrying capacity, usually an additional 10,000 lbs. to 20,000 lbs. It also may decrease the distance from the rear most axle center to the further rear-most portion on the vehicle, often termed the drawbar. This decreased distance increases the departure angle of the rear overhang of the coach body and frame, making the rear of the coach frame less liable to contact the roadway on uneven ramps or sloped surfaces. Further more, the extra axle today is equipped with an additional set of air brake drums, or in some cases, air disc brakes.

Huh, I didn't know that those had a name. I knew that they distributed the weight more evenly and aided in braking, and I remember seeing them be moved on a trailer to change the turning radius, but I suppose that pulling them off the ground would reduce rolling resistance and aid the passenger vehicle's ability to tow the truck.
I don't know how they plan to stop, since it's attached by a tie-down cable, but I wouldn't have guessed that they could even start, so...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Why would you not load the tractor on a trailer and truck it there in that case?
If I recall his post history correctly, it's probably not actually a tractor. It's probably a giant off-road fire truck.

Other possibility, "there" is somewhere a tractor trailer can't go.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

dor1 posted:

I'm assuming the Audi is towing the lorry.

I'm assuming that it's a reversed gif of a tractor trailer sliding backwards down a hill with an Audi tied to the front.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Memento posted:

I live your nightmares. Three engines I've built up from kegs in the last few weeks.

Don't worry, I fix them too.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 2, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

MrYenko posted:

I'm assuming that it's a reversed gif of a tractor trailer sliding backwards down a hill with an Audi tied to the front.

Unless that guy is running backwards up a hill in the snow, it's not been reversed

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Krakkles posted:

If I recall his post history correctly, it's probably not actually a tractor. It's probably a giant off-road fire truck.

Other possibility, "there" is somewhere a tractor trailer can't go.
Probably, given that Ferremit is likely talking about the Australian bush?

I'd have thought something like a Unimog would be the best platform.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha gently caress sequential turbos.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The factory service manual for the FD RX-7 has the vacuum lines on colored transparencies, so that you can lay them down on top of each other and try to understand just what the gently caress is going on in the center there

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sagebrush posted:

The factory service manual for the FD RX-7 has the vacuum lines on colored transparencies, so that you can lay them down on top of each other and try to understand just what the gently caress is going on in the center there

Those motherfuckers. A through G.

gently caress those loving fuckers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

gently caress vacuum lines forever.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:agreed: also gently caress CARB fuel-vapor-recovery systems dumping an octopus of hoses and canisters all over my motorcycle's engine, making it impossible to get into without half an hour of painstaking removal all so that 0.1mg of gasoline vapor doesn't escape into the air when it gets hot

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
As a guy thats colorblind? LOLLLL gently caress THAT.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

InitialDave posted:

Probably, given that Ferremit is likely talking about the Australian bush?

I'd have thought something like a Unimog would be the best platform.

Unimogs won't tow what this big bastard weighs- she's 9T for the tractor, 1.5T for the front end loader and 1.8T for the slasher on the back. Would need a legit heavy machinery float to move it and then you need the truck to tow it, plus that combo isn't fun to drive around the adelaide hills. Work decided that instead of spending $100K on a trailer and truck they'll drop about $10K on tyres on the tractor every 10 years.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Sagebrush posted:

The gently caress is EMPTY PIPE for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Christ and I thought doing the N/A engine was bad.

iirc there is a recall in canada for the 86 RX7s because the vacuum lines were hooked up incorrectly from the factory.