Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Raluek posted:

My local Ace stocks them. Not cheap or super high quality, but I was surprised that they had them.

Thanks. My local ace is ran by a scumfuck who i have gotten into an arguement with and i once watched a short latino punch him in the face after he called him a "dirty illegal". But i will go look for it. And the snap on cup you gave me last year died the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

clam ache posted:

Thanks. My local ace is ran by a scumfuck who i have gotten into an arguement with and i once watched a short latino punch him in the face after he called him a "dirty illegal". But i will go look for it. And the snap on cup you gave me last year died the other day.

Sorry to hear that about the mug, I guess they're not rated for impact use.

If you can't find your screwdrivers locally, I like the Xcelite drivers, and Amazon carries those. Not as nice as the Wera ones, but you can get them individually.
For example, the T6: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UNGDYA

fake e: Looks like you can actually get the Wera individually.
For example, the T6: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00365EY6W

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Raluek posted:

Sorry to hear that about the mug, I guess they're not rated for impact use.

For a moment I thought you were talking about the ACE managers face.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Platystemon posted:

For a moment I thought you were talking about the ACE managers face.

I assure you, that guy is totally impact-compatible.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I ordered the set of insulated Wera drivers from Amazon today. $29 bucks, couldn't resist.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
So sears had the flex head wrenches on sale for 27$ over the weekend, and I thought hey, perfect opportunity to pick up a set of metric and sae ratcheting flex heads. But now I've got another problem... There's no more room in my wrench drawer, what with standard, ratcheting, oddball sizes, flare nut wrenches, and now flex heads :negative:

Help me thread, how do you keep your tool chest drawers organized? I want to be able to grab a specific set, eg metric, or sae, and take it out to work on stuff, but I don't have room for five different carry handle holders in there

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

TotalLossBrain posted:

I ordered the set of insulated Wera drivers from Amazon today. $29 bucks, couldn't resist.

Same here, it's the type of tool where when you need it you really need it and nothing else will do (safely). Great price.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

So sears had the flex head wrenches on sale for 27$ over the weekend, and I thought hey, perfect opportunity to pick up a set of metric and sae ratcheting flex heads. But now I've got another problem... There's no more room in my wrench drawer, what with standard, ratcheting, oddball sizes, flare nut wrenches, and now flex heads :negative:

Help me thread, how do you keep your tool chest drawers organized? I want to be able to grab a specific set, eg metric, or sae, and take it out to work on stuff, but I don't have room for five different carry handle holders in there

I haven't set it up yet but I picked up a couple of sheets of kaizen foam from rocklers and they might help you organize things a bit better

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Caribeaners through the box end. Just get a big one to hold more wrenches. And I butchered the spelling but whatever.

Edit: Raluek it fell apart on the inside...breaks my heart cause i used that thing for beer and tea alll the time. I am buying another one and may just give one to my santee this year. Also you suck because i cant find that cider and it was SOOOOOO DELICOUS

clam ache fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 1, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

clam ache posted:

Caribeaners through the box end. Just get a big one to hold more wrenches. And I butchered the spelling but whatever.

Edit: Raluek it fell apart on the inside...breaks my heart cause i used that thing for beer and tea alll the time. I am buying another one and may just give one to my santee this year. Also you suck because i cant find that cider and it was SOOOOOO DELICOUS

I'm glad you got some use out of it, but it's kind of disappointing that you didn't even get a year out of that thing. Was it like the coating on the inside that flaked off? I haven't really used mine much at all :( (I bought one for myself when I bought yours)

As for the cider, if your zip is the same as it was last year, their web site implies that it's available near you. Which is kind of surprising, because it's local to me and I didn't know that they had any sort of wide distribution. If you can't find any, let me know! I decided not to participate in AISS this year, but maybe I can send you some cider.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

clam ache posted:

Ermagherd, this is utterly genius, thank you! That's exactly what I need--I woulda never thought of that in a million years of fruitless Google searches.

Muchos gracias!

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Harbor Freight has wrench rings
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/wrenches/2-piece-wrench-rings-37074.html

I use large loose leaf binder rings (or small ones for things like tiny distributor wrenches)

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Ermagherd, this is utterly genius, thank you! That's exactly what I need--I woulda never thought of that in a million years of fruitless Google searches.

Muchos gracias!

De nada muchacho. My wife showed me it from Pinterest.

Raluek I will never say no to booze but since your Google FU is better I will buy some at a local dive.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

So Kobalt made gearless ratchet wrenches. Oh my they are smooth.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Hows the take-up? I used one of the ratchets for a while, and there was a few degrees of play before it would "bite".

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

MRC48B posted:

Hows the take-up? I used one of the ratchets for a while, and there was a few degrees of play before it would "bite".

It varies. Save it for when you really need to turn a bolt off with next to no wiggle room, as wear on them seems to be fast. The one I have has seen only light use but likes to not grab all the time.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
These are adorable and I must have them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Spot-T...%3D262719828541

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

They are very cute, but I have a set and have only rarely had real use of them (very similar looking, but a set with 8, 10-15, 17mm). Seems to be very few cases where a regular spanner won't fit, but one of those do. The ratcheting flexing end is pretty chunky and often gets in the way, and in places where it can go on I can usually get a socket on as well with the regular arsenal of accessories for that. Nice to have around and sometimes helpful, but it's never been "that crucial tool" where nothing else would fit.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
BITCH!

Blue Spot Tools, nice.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Why am I just learning about this thing's existence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51HMVr444XU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Ziploc posted:

Ive found power (electric and air) impact ratchets to be very bulky and cumbersome. I can see the appeal if working on an engine that's sitting on a stand or something not in a tight space but then why not just use a regular rattle gun?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

Ive found power (electric and air) impact ratchets to be very bulky and cumbersome. I can see the appeal if working on an engine that's sitting on a stand or something not in a tight space but then why not just use a regular rattle gun?
I'm the type of person that will absolutely buy tools because they're useful fun toys.

I've been trying to convince myself for about a year to buy one (electric), and I can't come up with a reason why I need one since I have a rattle gun and nice ratchets.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I picked up an air ratchet a few years ago at a garage sale and have yet to find a single situation to use it in.

I could see some of the compact 12v ratchets being handy, but then I'd wonder if they had enough oomph to rattle off rusty Midwest car bolts

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Ziploc posted:

I have not personally life tested one of those but I haven't heard that good of things from other engineers in the industry. Trying to make bevel gears survie impact loading like that is a bit of an exercise in futility.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I love my 1/4 and 3/8 air ratchets and use them whenever I can. The hose can make it bulky sometimes, though. The impact gun gets used only if I cannot break it loose.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

My 20 year old inherited corded power drill finally died a few days before I need to drill some 2.5inch holes through steel plates. Tell me what drill/hammer drill to buy for under $150 that is both versatile and can handle my carbide hole cutters going through some 4mm steel plate and hopefully last another 20 years.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

My 20 year old inherited corded power drill finally died a few days before I need to drill some 2.5inch holes through steel plates. Tell me what drill/hammer drill to buy for under $150 that is both versatile and can handle my carbide hole cutters going through some 4mm steel plate and hopefully last another 20 years.

I'd suggest the Makita Corded D handle drill, they are tanks, but 200 Canadian Pesos. I don't think you will find anything that will last 20 years anymore.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

DocCynical posted:

I'd suggest the Makita Corded D handle drill, they are tanks, but 200 Canadian Pesos. I don't think you will find anything that will last 20 years anymore.

Find a old Makita hammer drill at a garage sale and replace the brushes. I bought one at an auction (lol) for 15 Canuckistani Funbux. Needed a new chuck key that was promptly taped to the cord like every corded power drill ever.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

Go on your favorite replacement parts website (I use ereplacementparts.com but there are others) and find all the parts you need to rebuild yours so it will last another 20 years.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I have no use for a copper hammer, but I just saw this on a new AvE video and, by god, I want it.

https://www.amazon.com/OSCA-OS070K1000-12-5-Inch-Copper-3-Component/dp/B00KXX930M

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

HF used to have one (I bought one ages ago) but apparently have discontinued it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I need a refillable air duster to clean the dust and poo poo off my records when I plop them on my turntable.
Nevermind why, or the semantics, or alternatives...

I'd like somthing with a decent spray nozzle.
I was looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009IY6IHS/ref=dra_a_rv_ff_fx_xx_P2000_1000, but I really don't like the plastic atomizer, and I'm not trying to spray chemicals, I just want to dust off some records.

Please recommend me something similar, but with a better nozzle.
Maybe a nozzle like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Falcon-Dust-off-Replacement-Classic-Chrome/dp/B000FTLHBM/ref=sr_1_3

Alternatively, If someone could confirm that the Dust-off nozzle linked above would fit the True Power bottle (doesn't look like it will) then I'd be all set.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
My mom has complained to me that she does not have a full set of screwdrivers and has asked me to get her one for Christmas. I'd like one that comes in a nice case (I think they get lost when they aren't organized). She likes the classic Craftsman-style clear acetate handles, not big rubber ones. Anyone have a good idea where to get something like that?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

My mom has complained to me that she does not have a full set of screwdrivers and has asked me to get her one for Christmas. I'd like one that comes in a nice case (I think they get lost when they aren't organized). She likes the classic Craftsman-style clear acetate handles, not big rubber ones. Anyone have a good idea where to get something like that?

Check out PB Swiss. I'm actually not aware of my sets that come in cases anymore. Maybe she could use a small tool bag with other common tools? Adjustable wrench, hammer, nippers, pliers, ect.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I need a refillable air duster to clean the dust and poo poo off my records when I plop them on my turntable.
Nevermind why, or the semantics, or alternatives...

I'd like somthing with a decent spray nozzle.
I was looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009IY6IHS/ref=dra_a_rv_ff_fx_xx_P2000_1000, but I really don't like the plastic atomizer, and I'm not trying to spray chemicals, I just want to dust off some records.

Please recommend me something similar, but with a better nozzle.
Maybe a nozzle like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Falcon-Dust-off-Replacement-Classic-Chrome/dp/B000FTLHBM/ref=sr_1_3

Alternatively, If someone could confirm that the Dust-off nozzle linked above would fit the True Power bottle (doesn't look like it will) then I'd be all set.

You want the Datavac duster, there's nothing else in its class for that kinda thing:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001J4ZOAW/

There's currently a warehouse deal for 55$, fyi

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I'd recommend the Wera drivers, but if she wants everything in a case, why not get her something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Husky-High-Torque-Driver-Destornillador-Torsion/dp/B00PD9CRXG

I've got the same kit, and I love the ratcheting screwdriver. Plus it's got pretty much every bit you'd need, which would be handy for her.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 8, 2016

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Seminal Flu posted:

I have no use for a copper hammer, but I just saw this on a new AvE video and, by god, I want it.

https://www.amazon.com/OSCA-OS070K1000-12-5-Inch-Copper-3-Component/dp/B00KXX930M

I have seen these for sale here and there, and they're always way more expensive than the brass hammers right next to them. What's the advantage?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EKDS5k posted:

I have seen these for sale here and there, and they're always way more expensive than the brass hammers right next to them. What's the advantage?

Coppers is softer. Good for when you want to mar your hammer and not whatever your hitting with it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

OSU_Matthew posted:

You want the Datavac duster, there's nothing else in its class for that kinda thing:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001J4ZOAW/

There's currently a warehouse deal for 55$, fyi

No I don't. I've got one already.
I need very focused short blasts of air.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Could you put a small air compressor next to your record player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Safety Dance posted:

Could you put a small air compressor next to your record player?

I have multiple record players on different floors of the house.
Also its nice to have the convenience of a can of compressed air. When something just needs a quick blast like my keyboard, I'd rather not take it out to the garage, or drag 100' hose, or a pancake compressor through the house.