Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Holy poo poo, just had someone go off on me with a Talir, Who Sees Beyond. That was hilarious as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Kyrosiris posted:

Holy poo poo, just had someone go off on me with a Talir, Who Sees Beyond. That was hilarious as hell.

Yeah, I have actually lost a game by decking myself out with Talir.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Kyrosiris posted:

This is why Clockroaches owns

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, I have actually lost a game by decking myself out with Talir.

That did not happen for me, but I think I would've hurt myself laughing if it had.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

This is why Clockroaches owns

I made a budget Clockroaches for Gauntlet grinding before the reset.

The first Crown of Possibilities is spicy.

The second Crown of Possibilities is amazing.

The third Crown of Possibilities is insane.

Now if only I had the shiftstone for a Clockroaches deck :saddowns:

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Serperoth posted:

I made a budget Clockroaches for Gauntlet grinding before the reset.

The first Crown of Possibilities is spicy.

The second Crown of Possibilities is amazing.

The third Crown of Possibilities is insane.

Now if only I had the shiftstone for a Clockroaches deck :saddowns:
They nerfed the interaction between echo creatures and Crown when they did the reset. They also bumped Crown to Legendary... RIP fun.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I have GOT to stop using Unstable Form offensively. I just gave someone a 10/9 trying to get rid of a Treasury Guard with a Mantle on it.

What are the ratios you should be going for in a deck?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Doctor Goat posted:

I have GOT to stop using Unstable Form offensively. I just gave someone a 10/9 trying to get rid of a Treasury Guard with a Mantle on it.

What are the ratios you should be going for in a deck?

rngeternal.com

RNG himself is in the discord as well if you want to ask some more specific questions directly.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

standard.deviant posted:

They nerfed the interaction between echo creatures and Crown when they did the reset. They also bumped Crown to Legendary... RIP fun.

Aw man that's a huge bummer :saddowns:

I mean it was busted, especially with literally anything that put cards back, but still.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

standard.deviant posted:

What was the nerf?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

ThePeavstenator posted:

What was the nerf?
Echo creatures used to get Crown bonus twice on the second copy. That doesn't happen anymore.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

standard.deviant posted:

Echo creatures used to get Crown bonus twice on the second copy. That doesn't happen anymore.

Ah ok, so it can still go off by giving the roaches destiny.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

ThePeavstenator posted:

Ah ok, so it can still go off by giving the roaches destiny.
Half as often, yes.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
Okay, this game is really well-done. It has a really nice interface, and the mechanics are familiar but simplified just enough to make it run quicker without loosing strategic complexity. It also takes advantage of the online format without making it into who gets the best RNG rolls.

How have they not been sued by Wizards yet? Maybe they're negotiating to be bought and replace MTGO>

Any suggestions on good starting decks for someone who likes Dimir colors and draw-go in MTG? I'm running a somewhat-budget Howling Scream variant for Gauntlets, and it's been pretty fun so far.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Borachon posted:

How have they not been sued by Wizards yet? Maybe they're negotiating to be bought and replace MTGO?

I don't remember exactly what the terms of the settlement were with Hex, but the only thing I remember changing was the minimum deck size after they settled their suit with Wizards. Maybe they were forced to buy a license to the rest or something, I don't know. Since Eternal already has a different minimum deck size and no obvious stack mechanism, I wonder whether they'd have the grounds to sue.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

CompeAnansi posted:

Since Eternal already has a different minimum deck size and no obvious stack mechanism, I wonder whether they'd have the grounds to sue.

I don't know the legalities, but there is a stack, isn't thre? It's just resolved all at in LIFO order once everything is on it, not resolved one step at a time with passes in between each step, right?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Considering LSV is on the development team, and how he's also technically working for wizards as a caster now, maybe they already discussed how to make the game different enough to not infringe on Magic?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Can I skip the tutorial?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

fadam posted:

Can I skip the tutorial?

Not the first part - the Fire deck, which is 4 matches long, you have to finish before you can even see the menu. After that you can do whatever while you put off the rest, but you really should do them eventually since you get a bunch of free cards out of it, and possibly don't get daily quests until you finish it?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Okay, this looks pretty sweet. I've watched the videos in the OP and think I'll give it a shot. The only reason I ever got into Hearthstone is because I loved playing Magic, but didn't like MTGO. Hearthstone's not a bad game, but I kind of wanted something with a little more depth and I'm not super fond of all the crazy random stuff going on with it. It looks like Eternal handles the digital aspect of a CCG in cooler ways--Warcry, for instance, is a really cool ability. Ditto for the Worldpyre Phoenix that continually gets stronger--in a paper based cardgame, you'd have to have it sitting in a non-hand zone to prevent shady things being done.

I'll poke through the subreddit and numotgaming later, but it looks like the basics are 1) do tutorials, 2) play a bunch of gauntlet to get cards?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Aranan posted:

Okay, this looks pretty sweet. I've watched the videos in the OP and think I'll give it a shot. The only reason I ever got into Hearthstone is because I loved playing Magic, but didn't like MTGO. Hearthstone's not a bad game, but I kind of wanted something with a little more depth and I'm not super fond of all the crazy random stuff going on with it. It looks like Eternal handles the digital aspect of a CCG in cooler ways--Warcry, for instance, is a really cool ability. Ditto for the Worldpyre Phoenix that continually gets stronger--in a paper based cardgame, you'd have to have it sitting in a non-hand zone to prevent shady things being done.

I'll poke through the subreddit and numotgaming later, but it looks like the basics are 1) do tutorials, 2) play a bunch of gauntlet to get cards?

The Forge is good for cards too, since you get to keep what you draft, it's just a hearthstone arena type draft. It's usually pretty easy, though you play against the precon decks that you'll play against in Gauntlet, so you can get random blow outs at times. Luckily you get 2 tries before you lose. Also Forge gives gold chests as well, which gives packs and ~500 gold. Getting all 7 wins nets you about 2000k gold and 4 packs, which isn't bad. Though you only get the rank up chest until you reach master I believe.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elblanco posted:

The Forge is good for cards too, since you get to keep what you draft, it's just a hearthstone arena type draft. It's usually pretty easy, though you play against the precon decks that you'll play against in Gauntlet, so you can get random blow outs at times. Luckily you get 2 tries before you lose. Also Forge gives gold chests as well, which gives packs and ~500 gold. Getting all 7 wins nets you about 2000k gold and 4 packs, which isn't bad. Though you only get the rank up chest until you reach master I believe.

Gauntlet is free, unlike Forge, but as long as you have free Forge runs, it's worth it no matter what. Otherwise, I think it's still worth it, especially before ranking up to Master for the last chest.

Draft is also worthwhile, since for the same cost as Forge you get 4 boosters' worth of Shiftstone, a wider pick of cards (including at least four rares, even if they're not ones you want), and you break even in terms of gold after 3 wins I think.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Draft costs twice as much as forge, but forge is a good way to warm up to draft. I sick at drafting mtg, so I just do forge mostly. Recently I've drafted and have gone 3-3 , 4-3 and 5-3, which is pretty awesome for me. Though you won't make your money back unless you win 6 I believe, since drafting is 5k, but going 2-3 gets you a pack into of what you drafted, so you at least get your monies worth.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
Went 7-2 in my first draft :toot:

Got carried pretty hard by twinbrood sauropod and pillar of amar in a few of my games.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I've tried Hearthstone and MTGO and didn't really stick with either one. This looks pretty fun so hopefully I'll stick with it and build and Orzhov esque deck.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Is there another way to buy gems rather than going through the Steam wallet? The wallet amounts don't sync up with the gem costs.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Aranan posted:

Is there another way to buy gems rather than going through the Steam wallet? The wallet amounts don't sync up with the gem costs.

As long as you're spending at least $5 the wallet will give you the option to spend exactly what it costs to buy. If you're spending under $5, Steam will make you add $5 and hold on to the extra until you use it. Just try and check out in-game with whatever amount of gems you want to buy, Steam will make the purchase work.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Fair enough. I was just going to buy the smallest gem packet to toss some money at the devs since I'm enjoying this so far, but I guess I could bump it up to the whatever-is-right-after-$5 amount.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

So when you play Pilfer and get a card from your opponent's deck is it supposed to remove the influence requirement (to make it actually usable, I imagine)? I'm playing a Primal/Shadow deck and pilfered an Amber Acolyte and there was no Time Influence requirement on it, just the power requirement.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

No Safe Word posted:

So when you play Pilfer and get a card from your opponent's deck is it supposed to remove the influence requirement (to make it actually usable, I imagine)? I'm playing a Primal/Shadow deck and pilfered an Amber Acolyte and there was no Time Influence requirement on it, just the power requirement.

Yep, stolen cards lose their influence requirements.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

No Safe Word posted:

Yeah, same happens when you draw a card from their deck with Feln Bloodcaster, and when you get 5 random spells with Feln Cauldron.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

That's good to know. I just started playing in the last week and only drafted the card to fill out my collection in the first place. Without knowing that it seemed pretty bad in most matchups, but I was far enough ahead in a game that I just played it anyway to see what I got. Then I saw the influence stuff removed from the card and was like "hey, this is still probably not a great card but at least it's not totally useless most of the time"

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I'm assuming if I do Forge I should be conceding the last game to prevent levelling up to maximize rewards. Is that correct?

Is there a reason to actually win Forge? A few packs from the rank up awards at the expense of making the AI massively more difficult on future runs doesn't seem to be worth it.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

MisterZimbu posted:

I'm assuming if I do Forge I should be conceding the last game to prevent levelling up to maximize rewards. Is that correct?

Is there a reason to actually win Forge? A few packs from the rank up awards at the expense of making the AI massively more difficult on future runs doesn't seem to be worth it.

AI gets harder every win, regardless of whether you rank up or not. Grab those level up chests then get drafting!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

MisterZimbu posted:

By the time Forge gets too hard you'll have gotten like 4K gold and 8 packs from rankups and are probably trying to chain drafts anyway.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Welp, 7-2'd a draft today and pulled a Deepforged Plate out of one of the packs; guess my red/green warcry deck just got real stupid.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Welp, 7-2'd a draft today and pulled a Deepforged Plate out of one of the packs; guess my red/green warcry deck just got real stupid.

Nice, good pulls always feel so good. I pulled a promo Legendary out of a pack on stream once, and it was just :downs: in terms of grins.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

So I got a Promo card quest with a time limit, does everyone get that quest? Wump, Party Starter is cute but I don't know if it's all that great :v:

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

No Safe Word posted:

So I got a Promo card quest with a time limit, does everyone get that quest? Wump, Party Starter is cute but I don't know if it's all that great :v:

Yea, it's the winter promo, you'll get it once a day until the event ends i think, or until you have 4, not sure. It seems ok, if you make a yeti based deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Oh man, the Android release is really nice. Finished a "win 2 as Primal" quest while taking a poo poo. :c00l: