Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I lost a bunch of resources by building a storage container underneath a round room, I can see it highlight in construction view but there doesn't seem to be any way to target it with the delete command :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Is base-building only available in Creative mode or can you find base foundations in the normal game?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Anime Store Adventure posted:

On the patch as a whole, I'm surprised how much I enjoy the game now. It still needs a lot for me to say it's "good" outright to anyone asking

Yeah, way I would phrase it is that with the changes in the patch and the reduced price, the game is now pretty much worth what they are charging for it.

It's still all surface but it's a lot more enjoyable than it was because there's actually a point to exploring new planets now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Serf posted:

Is base-building only available in Creative mode or can you find base foundations in the normal game?

All the new mechanics are present in the normal game, I'm still using my old save.

Serf
May 5, 2011

haveblue posted:

All the new mechanics are present in the normal game, I'm still using my old save.

Nice. Still think I'll restart because I pretty much had all the upgrades and stuff. Plus the new procgen sounds cool, I'd like to start with that.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Restarted my save games a few time to get a cool new starting spot and the game rewarded me with the best looking planet since I started the game at launch. Paradise planet with plenty of multicolored grass, various trees, huge caves, canyons and floating islands.

This is enough to renew my interest and make me want to explore base building.

It really shows what this game could be if they tweaked the procgen to take more extreme paths more often (water planet, canyon planet, crystal formations planet, dune planet, forest planet) instead of thousands of meh-looking average planets with a bit of everything colored differently.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It really shows what this game could be if they tweaked the procgen to take more extreme paths more often (water planet, canyon planet, crystal formations planet, dune planet, forest planet) instead of thousands of meh-looking average planets with a bit of everything colored differently.

Yeah it seems like that's what they have started doing but they could definitely still turn it up a notch or two, there are still way too many "solid rock plains with sparse trees and grass" planets

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Agreed. I'm hoping they keep bumping it up as we progress in updates.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Anime Store Adventure posted:

How do bases work if you pick a spot on a new planet? Do you start from scratch? Disassemble the old one?
I think it was mentioned but in case you missed it, there's a console in all the 'empty' bases that will fill up with refunds from your previous base if you claim the base you're in as a new one. I didn't fly back to the old one to make sure it was dismantled but I assume so.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

Also, base building seems fun. But is there also a practical point to it that can help you in other aspects of the game?

farming rare resources for obscene profit

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Was all this Nada/Polo story in the game before? Because I somehow missed it if it was. I mean, I met Nada and Polo in my old save, but in my new game the dudes giving me the Warp Drive recipes are also telling me to seek out Nada and Polo

e: in any case, it's very Sean Murray to put a bunch of stuff into 1.1 without putting it in the patch notes. I understand why they'd do it (surprise!) but still.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
I wonder if they could do multiple biomes for each planet without loving everything up. Just take three biomes (let's say forest, desert, arctic) and stripe them across the planets. Suddenly you have north and south poles with temperate and arid regions. Boom, one full step above Star Wars planets. Mix and match enough of them to avoid more of the "samey" feeling we have now.

I wouldn't put money on it happening, but it'd make things more interesting.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

precision posted:

Was all this Nada/Polo story in the game before? Because I somehow missed it if it was. I mean, I met Nada and Polo in my old save, but in my new game the dudes giving me the Warp Drive recipes are also telling me to seek out Nada and Polo
That was always there, and it was always mentioned in a very casual way that you could easily miss entirely

Don't worry about it though, there's not much to see there. Basically they just try to make you do the cheevos and occasionally give you a blueprint. I guess you can get instructions to a black hole too but black holes are dumb and going to the center is dumb

Oh, maybe they are one of the ways to get Atlaspass 1, I forget

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
:raise:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yeah I had that happen too in my re-generated system. It's apparently a moon, and it looks more correct when you get closer but still a bit too close to seem feasible

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The deal breaker for me was ship handling and this didn't fix it. This add on does make me think they may fix it in the future, though, and if they do I'll give it another shot.

Dexo posted:

As someone who lived through the build for the OG Fable and had my teenage heart crushed and broken then.

NMS is just this generations Fable.

Sean Murray wishes he could bullshit as well as Peter Molyneux

The crucial difference is that Fable was a reasonably solid, though generic, adventure game if you ignored the hype. No Man's Sky at launch was basically an interactive screensaver even if you knew nothing going in.

I bought both games around or at launch without reading much about them. I actually still have a soft spot for Fable and have been meaning to play it again.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yeah, Fable doesn't live up to hype but it's a competent and complete game if you strip the hype away. NMS just kind of is a bundle of mechanics waiting for the other half of the game to be written.

Of course so is Minecraft but you have to come up with something really addictive to get away with that and NMS aint it. I like the potential and I don't regret the purchase though, and I'll probably doink around with the new update for some time making a dumb base and trying to set up as much auto-harvesting as I can.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Rereading that post makes me sound bitter. I'm not. It was sixty dollars and maybe in 6 mo or a year there will be a neat game to go back to.

I've spent that much on things like booze, cigars and unhealthy food that actively shortened my life and are now dust, poo poo and piss. I've spent several times that on sporting tickets that did nothing but make me miserable. NMS was a dumb purchase but most purchases are.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Flawed as this game is I still can't seem to stop playing it so I guess it's not a total wash.

The other night I came out of hyperspace into a new system right in front of a freighter that was being attacked, only to discover that my newly-purchased ship had purple lasers and it was the raddest poo poo i'd ever seen :okpos:

edit: also i'm pretty sure that buying ships is cheaper now since freighters are the real money sink, i have yet to see one that costs more than like 2 million credits. which is good because it seems like it's a lot harder to find abandoned ships now that you can't search for transmission towers anymore

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 1, 2016

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

So I decided to try this out again since Steam wouldn't give me my hard-earned dollars back.

Seems a little bit better, more variability in finding elements, new equipment, etc. Spaceflight blows rear end, even with the sensitivity turned way down you're either making a gentle turn or pulling 10g's, which makes fighting pirates harder than it should be. Not that they're particularly hard.

So now freighters: I bought one, moved some high-dollar stuff into it. Does it do anything else aside from follow you around? Can you expand its storage?

And why would I want to build a base in a quintillion planet-having game? Am I supposed to stop exploring? I can store stuff there, but what's the point if I'm just going to fly off anyway?

Also, fix the horrific pop in, for christ's sake.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

a mysterious cloak posted:

And why would I want to build a base in a quintillion planet-having game? Am I supposed to stop exploring? I can store stuff there, but what's the point if I'm just going to fly off anyway?

You can teleport back to it from any space station no matter how many warp jumps you've made

also

Tim Burns Effect posted:

farming rare resources for obscene profit

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

a mysterious cloak posted:

And why would I want to build a base in a quintillion planet-having game?

Well, maybe this feature wasn't added for you but for the tens of thousands of people complaining about the lack of base building at launch.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Hey guys I found all the missing Thamium asteroids.

This planet was pretty much coated in it.

Also is it just me or do planets seem to have far fewer landmarks than they used to? I spent 45 minutes flying and scanning a planet earlier today and got literally no pings.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They definitely do, no more uniformly spaced points of interest exactly 1-2 minutes of walking apart. If you want to find something now you pretty much need to build a scanner yourself.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Yeah it really seems that on release the game had some kind of uniform distribution in it for everything.

Last night was the first time I had to actually go and LOOK for plutonium.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Jibo posted:

Hey guys I found all the missing Thamium asteroids.

This planet was pretty much coated in it.

Also is it just me or do planets seem to have far fewer landmarks than they used to? I spent 45 minutes flying and scanning a planet earlier today and got literally no pings.

I don't know. My starting planet is covered in landmarks but for some strange reason my non upgraded scanner is ignoring them 90% of the time and I have to scout visually.

I still have to upgrade the scanner to see if this improves

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, Fable doesn't live up to hype but it's a competent and complete game if you strip the hype away. NMS just kind of is a bundle of mechanics waiting for the other half of the game to be written.

Of course so is Minecraft but you have to come up with something really addictive to get away with that and NMS aint it. I like the potential and I don't regret the purchase though, and I'll probably doink around with the new update for some time making a dumb base and trying to set up as much auto-harvesting as I can.

Yeah this is how I look at it

HoboTech posted:

Yeah it really seems that on release the game had some kind of uniform distribution in it for everything.

Last night was the first time I had to actually go and LOOK for plutonium.

It seems like at launch the procgen had lots of issues they didn't have time to test. They said themselves that with the scale of the number of worlds, they had to write little bots to go out and probe the world to test for things for them, and that probably wasn't a perfect process and probably overlooked lots of stuff. Its been months and months since release though, so they've had lots of time with actual players running around taking pictures of things and complaining about things to be a much better probe of the procgen worlds, and so it seems they took that and improved it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I don't know. My starting planet is covered in landmarks but for some strange reason my non upgraded scanner is ignoring them 90% of the time and I have to scout visually.

Oh poo poo, they did say they added a bunch more upgrades, do you suppose they added one for "actually see all the poo poo on the scanner"? Guh, that would be annoying

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Well, maybe this feature wasn't added for you but for the tens of thousands of people complaining about the lack of base building at launch.

True, true. I actually never really thought that building a base would ever be part of a game like this.

This coming from a nurse who refuses permanent job offers because working per diem or contract doesn't tie me down for very long...

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

They added a new way to find stuff which is the "signal booster", a piece of base building tech that you can plop down anywhere at any point and when you use it will give you directions to outposts or whatever else

However Ive only tried it in creative mode where they are free, no idea how much of a pain they are if you have to actually build them from resources

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Signal Boosters are dirt cheap even in Survival Mode, they're like 100 Iron and 25 Plutonium or 25 Platinum, very easy to make.

Also you can use each booster four times to look for four different things, which I don't know if it's working as intended but it works.

e: holy poo poo, look what this guy found :stare:

precision fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 2, 2016

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Good god I can't play more than twenty minutes without the game crashing to desktop.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Signal Boosters are dirt cheap even in Survival Mode, they're like 100 Iron and 25 Plutonium or 25 Platinum, very easy to make.

Also you can use each booster four times to look for four different things, which I don't know if it's working as intended but it works.

e: holy poo poo, look what this guy found :stare:

Looks like a freighter glitched out. I thought it was some superstructure for a second and got excited.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tyshalob posted:

Good god I can't play more than twenty minutes without the game crashing to desktop.
I have a PC that can handle it but got PS4 instead and I was jealous of the modding, so in a meanspirited way I am happy to hear this

But I dunno, try a different version video driver before you give up, that seems to be the number one thing with wonky PC games

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
My Gek-bro Architect wants me to fetch the plans for a Storage crate...

...from an underwater facility with no doors. :negative:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Slim Pickens posted:

Looks like a freighter glitched out. I thought it was some superstructure for a second and got excited.

Superstructures would be too cool for this game. Give me a Dyson sphere or something to find. With a single door, and probably a room with a trade interface and single alien farting around.

Xenosmilus
Sep 16, 2006

Shockeh posted:

My Gek-bro Architect wants me to fetch the plans for a Storage crate...

...from an underwater facility with no doors. :negative:

If that's the mission I'm thinking of, there should be a sealed door you can target and blast open. Grenades work well.

Hopefully it's not bugged.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CrashCat posted:

I think it was mentioned but in case you missed it, there's a console in all the 'empty' bases that will fill up with refunds from your previous base if you claim the base you're in as a new one. I didn't fly back to the old one to make sure it was dismantled but I assume so.

Also if you build storage boxes and start a new base all the stuff in the storage box is still in there when you rebuild it.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Also if you build storage boxes and start a new base all the stuff in the storage box is still in there when you rebuild it.

Well I guess that explains why they're numbered (probably would have been obvious but i haven't rebuilt my base anywhere yet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Alien scrote discovered

• Locked thread