Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

One of my favorite animations in DS1 is when you block an extremely heavy attack with your shield but don't lose all your stamina. You're sent flying a little ways but recover in a flip. You can see it a lot with basically anything Artorias does to you.

I love that animation, makes you feel extremely powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The first one was intended to be a bit of a badass moment.
But then he becomes goofy teenager dante, then goofier uncle dante and it becomes a running joke.

(Cant really call it running any more since dmc5 will probably never happen.)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
There's one mission in Dishonoured 2 where you go to the mansion of an evil inventor, named Jindosh, who has turned the whole place into a fun house with moving walls and floors everywhere. It's an incredible game dynamic and you can just spend so much time playing it over and over and doing things in different ways.

I found this video which illustrates it perfectly by someone far better at the game than I'll ever be. The person playing finds 80 different ways to kill Jindosh as well as a bunch of other inventive kills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWSIHC2lvn4

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm playing Final Fantasy XV right now and the developers have really put a lot of thought into creating four likable characters (at least, I think they are, I'm sure others may not find them as endearing).

There's this guy named Prompto, who's the typical 'high-energy, peppy' kind of fellow, and while doing a quest to slay a chocobo-eating monster, he just starts singing a song to the typical chocobo theme, because he just can't get the tune out of his head.

Also there's something really chill about driving around with bros listening to the soundtracks of various final fantasy games. Especially the overworld themes, they seem to fit particularly well.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Alpha Protocol

I finished Moscow with Brayko on my first run. I thought it was an abandoned story arc when I didn't see Surkov or his bodyguard afterward. on my second run I stumbled into the right speech check to find out Surkov was playing me and I closed that loose end. even the interrogation with Leland acknowledged that I found out the truth.

it's cool to have a game straight up lie to you if you don't explore all the options.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Action Tortoise posted:

Alpha Protocol

I finished Moscow with Brayko on my first run. I thought it was an abandoned story arc when I didn't see Surkov or his bodyguard afterward. on my second run I stumbled into the right speech check to find out Surkov was playing me and I closed that loose end. even the interrogation with Leland acknowledged that I found out the truth.

it's cool to have a game straight up lie to you if you don't explore all the options.
You also get one of the best lines in the game if you team up with Brayko there.

I love Alpha Protocol. :allears:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

theshim posted:

You also get one of the best lines in the game if you team up with Brayko there.

I love Alpha Protocol. :allears:

Oh poo poo you can partner up?

doing this on my nice guy/all orphans run next

Slide McGriffin
Nov 16, 2009

OOOOoooOOooo
Looks like you won the gold medal.... In dying :coal:

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Professor Wayne posted:

I vaguely remember something like that in Saints Row 3. There is a mission where you are chased out of a bondage club by people in carriages pulled by gimps. In development, Volition forgot to to unflag the carriages and gimps as vehicles, so they would explode whenever they crashed or took a certain amount of damage. The end result was funny enough that they never bothered to fix it.

Actually, the vehicle designer wanted them to explode like cars but was voted down. So for most of the development they just went ragdoll. Some period right before certification some secret person changed the flag, nobody noticed, and the world benefited.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been gradually doing the Lego City Undercover post game (And oh god there is way too much poo poo to do) but I just realised in the final part of the final level, where they play a faux-latin dramatic song - the lyrics are just "LEGO! LEGO! LEEEEEeeEEEgo!" forever :3:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Morpheus posted:

I'm playing Final Fantasy XV right now and the developers have really put a lot of thought into creating four likable characters (at least, I think they are, I'm sure others may not find them as endearing).

There's this guy named Prompto, who's the typical 'high-energy, peppy' kind of fellow, and while doing a quest to slay a chocobo-eating monster, he just starts singing a song to the typical chocobo theme, because he just can't get the tune out of his head.

Also there's something really chill about driving around with bros listening to the soundtracks of various final fantasy games. Especially the overworld themes, they seem to fit particularly well.

I don't know how little it actually is, but I'm really enjoying the photography feature. For those who aren't playing, this same character, Prompto, chronicles the journey the four characters are on by taking pictures during the course of play. I don't think he actually stops and pulls out a camera, but when you make camp you get to look at a series of pictures of the characters stopping and posing or action shots during combat and can save them and share them. A buddy of mine who's playing says that Prompto also gets more proficient and the photos look better as his photography skill goes up.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In Pokemon Sun and Moon, if you have a full team and go to the daycare to pick up an egg, you can have it transferred to the pc, or swap it out with one of your party - like you can now do with a wild pokemon.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

scarycave posted:

In Pokemon Sun and Moon, if you have a full team and go to the daycare to pick up an egg, you can have it transferred to the pc, or swap it out with one of your party - like you can now do with a wild pokemon.

The daycare also doesn't level up your Pokemon at all, which is going to be a PYF little thing in the lategame but early on it's more of a "dragging this thing down". I want to breed my cool monsters but it's only the second island, it would be nice if they didn't end up underleveled while I run around hatching their eggs.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
That's what Isle Evelup in the Poke Pelago is for.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sun & Moon still has XPshare, right?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inzombiac posted:

Yes. You'll get it a little ways into the game.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Yes it does.

Guess I should have refreshed the page.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I just killed a big monster in Final Fantasy 15 and one of my bros sang the victory song :3:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

I've been gradually doing the Lego City Undercover post game (And oh god there is way too much poo poo to do) but I just realised in the final part of the final level, where they play a faux-latin dramatic song - the lyrics are just "LEGO! LEGO! LEEEEEeeEEEgo!" forever :3:

This has been confirmed for PC release next year.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

scarycave posted:

Weirdly, you cannot do the same thing when taking a pokemon back from the daycare people.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mokinokaro posted:

This has been confirmed for PC release next year.

LC:U needed a multiplatform release, because it does not get the love it deserves :allears:. If you have a WiiU, go buy it!

Now please just give us a sequel.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I don't know how little it actually is, but I'm really enjoying the photography feature. For those who aren't playing, this same character, Prompto, chronicles the journey the four characters are on by taking pictures during the course of play. I don't think he actually stops and pulls out a camera, but when you make camp you get to look at a series of pictures of the characters stopping and posing or action shots during combat and can save them and share them. A buddy of mine who's playing says that Prompto also gets more proficient and the photos look better as his photography skill goes up.

Can't say for certain if they get better, as some of the earlier ones look pretty good, but he definitely gets more filters to use on his photos :D

I really do like the photo feature, if nothing else because it really adds to that feeling of 'bros on a trip' that permeates the entire game.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Morpheus posted:

Can't say for certain if they get better, as some of the earlier ones look pretty good, but he definitely gets more filters to use on his photos :D

I really do like the photo feature, if nothing else because it really adds to that feeling of 'bros on a trip' that permeates the entire game.

"That's really good."

Photo of a bush you can sort of see a monster behind.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

"That's really good."

Photo of a bush you can sort of see a monster behind.

I had one where I was talking to an NPC in the shade of a building, but Prompto must've been in the sunlight and the game didn't adjust so it was just a completely black photo with two black silhouettes kinda visible.

'You're really improving"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite was a selfie one...but it was all hosed up. It was a picture of Noctis, except that Noctis was really close to the camera. However since Noctis was really close, his head was actually larger than Prompto, whose head by perspective should've been bigger. So you got what appeared to be a giant-headed Noctis standing behind a selfie of Prompto.

I do like that the characters will recognize other characters in the photo and comment on them. Sometimes it's simple, like Gladiolus seeing his sister and saying "Oh it's Iris" or whatever her name is.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
Playing the 2013 Tomb Raider game and I love any game with a bow where releasing the aim button cancels the shot. A lot of games make you switch weapons or waste an arrow.

I also like subtle animations in the game like Lara grabbing her ribs while running or limping after a fall.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

samu3lk posted:

Playing the 2013 Tomb Raider game and I love any game with a bow where releasing the aim button cancels the shot. A lot of games make you switch weapons or waste an arrow.

I also like subtle animations in the game like Lara grabbing her ribs while running or limping after a fall.

Skyrim does something similar - if you hit R (the draw/sheathe weapon button) while you have an arrow drawn (or you're holding the fire button on a crossbow) and it cancels the shot. There was also a mod for Oblivion that added the same function.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
MGS2 in a similar way, releasing square slowly will let you lower the gun instead of firing. Takes advantage of the DualShock2 pressure-sensitive buttons, really nice feature.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

samu3lk posted:

The best part of the bow in Tomb Raider is there is no set of separate ammo types, just normal arrows for all of them. There is zero reason not to go hog-wild with Napalm Arrows for everyone :unsmigghh:

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

samu3lk posted:

It really surprised me when I first played and was running around a cave, and she actually started breathing louder. I had a tendency to let her pause and catch her breath throughout the game after that.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The best part of the bow in Tomb Raider is there is no set of separate ammo types, just normal arrows for all of them. There is zero reason not to go hog-wild with Napalm Arrows for everyone :unsmigghh:

Wait, really???
I'm gonna play it again :haw:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

aren't you limited by how many grenades, though? you need both to have the ability iirc.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Nuebot posted:

I'd settle for an open world GTA clone based on Hawaii. It would be very cathartic to just plow through all of the daily traffic in a video game.

Test Drive Unlimited had drivable Hawaii

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

skooma512 posted:

Test Drive Unlimited had drivable Hawaii

Both of them did. They were mediocre racing games at best, but no open-world racing game since has come close to matching them in pure scope I think. To give some perspective, both TDU and TDU 2 modeled Oahu (and also Ibiza in 2) in 1:1 scale with no invisible walls. In both games, the ultimate races are time trials where you circumnavigate the island, which will take ~50min in the fastest performance car you've got.

The racing part of the games was not particularly strong but drat if they weren't great games to just put on some chill music and cruise around to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Action Tortoise posted:

aren't you limited by how many grenades, though? you need both to have the ability iirc.

Noooope, that's only for Explosive Arrows. You can set as many motherfuckers on fire as you like.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's still a consumable for crafting napalm arrows, but you can hold more of it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm finally playing Mark of the Ninja and it's amazing. My little thing is that there is a cardboard box, and it works like it should, and there is an achievement for the special cardboard box stealth kill called "Inner Heaven" :ocelot:

e: voracious serpent :yum:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Replaying Prototype 1 and it's sorta amazing how much of a groundbreaking game it was. Complete amorality in the main character, the parkour/gliding flying that pretty much every game that didn't copy AC/Infamous did (and even Infamous made it like that in the last one) and the multiple powers you switch between on the fly.

You can call it just a synthesis of already existing stuff but it's still such an amazing power fantasy and terrorist simulator that's rarely been equaled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In Mad Max you team up with a magical mutant who among other things, can drive your car to you when you're on foot. Normally this is achieved by calling him with a flare gun but if you do it within shouting distance he just yells for the car.

Also your character is Aussie so its more like "Bring me the cahh"