Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Shockeh posted:

My Gek-bro Architect wants me to fetch the plans for a Storage crate...

...from an underwater facility with no doors. :negative:

The farm dude sent me to a ruin I already discovered and I couldn't advance his line until I got a new home. Now at the new home he's sending me to an under water one that doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

a mysterious cloak posted:

Alien scrote discovered

That's just a normal deposit of Blueballs, though yours seems to be slightly diseased compared to the ones I usually see

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ok, so playing survival if I ever manage to find zinc to repair my thrusters what should my next move be?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A useful tip before you're able to fly is to use whatever tunnels you can to avoid the hostile environment. So long as you don't jetpack, the life support bar drains pretty slowly, even when running. Check whatever exit you can for zinc plants nearby.

In survival I've been putzing around harvesting plutonium, zinc, platinum and such in large quantities, and only landing when I see a landing pad, outpost, or HUGE plutonium deposit(2+ large crystals). Be very strategic and consistent with your scanner use, I.E. make sure to be in a relatively "new" area before using it due to the long recharge time. And make sure you're in a relatively heavily populated area in terms of plants, objects, etc and not barren plains. The planet I'm on is fairly barren, only found a single spawn of 4 of a given resource plant so far, usually 1-2 max in a group. Tunnels are pretty empty too.

I got really, really lucky and got a radiation shield tau recipe semi-early on(radiation planet), so that's helped immensely.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Is the 200 plutonium cost incurred for launching and flying around the planet, or is that just for taking off into space or warping to a new system? My ship isn't really very close to caves and my planet is very cold so I can't really venture too far without freezing to death (even in the day, at night it drops down to -90 or so and my hazard shield drains in no time at all).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Leaving the ground always costs launch thruster charge, no matter what you do after that. Taking off into space has no extra cost, you just fly up after launching. Warping costs hyperdrive charge but not pulse engine or launch thrusters.

e: Launching from a landing pad or one of those little hard-to-spot beacons next to some structures is free.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 2, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ahh ok, thanks. Now it makes sense why a lot of people are talking about constantly running out of plutonium.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

e: Launching from a landing pad or one of those little hard-to-spot beacons next to some structures is free.

:aaa:

this is an accurate representation of me while reading that sentence

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I never knew that! Was it always like that?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Ahh ok, thanks. Now it makes sense why a lot of people are talking about constantly running out of plutonium.
I find way less Plutonium even on normal difficulty, it's kind of annoying. I used to stumble on the stuff every few feet and that seemed like the right amount for how much it was used. Even in caves I'm not finding it like I used to.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It seems that players still can't see each other, but if you put a message in a Communications Station other players can read it.

https://imgur.com/a/JCFNS#h4QmNkl

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

John F Bennett posted:

I never knew that! Was it always like that?

Yes.

CrashCat posted:

I find way less Plutonium even on normal difficulty, it's kind of annoying. I used to stumble on the stuff every few feet and that seemed like the right amount for how much it was used. Even in caves I'm not finding it like I used to.

Same here. Resource management has gone from barely there to tedious as poo poo in the span of one patch.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jibo posted:

Same here. Resource management has gone from barely there to tedious as poo poo in the span of one patch.

Thats why I like creative mode. Now that there is more difference in planets and they look better, its actually a pretty good loving around while high game if you remove all the tedious resource management crap (there are still a few minor traces of it left unfortunately)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

It's probably a rebalance because you can't just shove plutonium into everything like before. (The impulse-engine now takes iron instead of isotopes, for example. Refueling your life support now only takes Thamium 9, too. Which to be honest, is a lot better than feeding loving raw Plutonium into your life support.)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I just hate how touch and go everything is. It feels like I land at a structure, do stuff, go back to my ship and then find the next structure and repeat.

I'm afraid to jetpack places because it still takes forever and then you have to jetpack back to your ship when you're done.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Regarding the plutonium:

I have a suspicion that the game will (eventually) generate at least a small amount of plutonium anywhere you land, and I think it can do it even after you've been in an area. Every time I land, I hit the scanner key, and 9 times out of 10 if I chill for a minute there will be some plutonium near by.

This could just be coincidence, but it also could be built in to wherever the player lands just so you don't get stuck for too long. I'll need to experiment further.

The current issue I'm having is I started over and want to find a new place to build a base, but I can't seem to find one after having skipped out on a previous site (hostile sentinels? nah). Does anyone know if the player base locations are super limited or if I'm just having bad luck finding them? Usually I find them by scanning while out in space, but I haven't been locating any and it's starting to get old.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I think the more radioactive a planet is the more plutonium you find. On planets with high radiation it's not that much reduced, but nice tranquil planets it is pretty scarce.

Apparently crafting the fuel power things is more efficient than just using raw mats but I haven't really messed around with it yet.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Playing on normal I haven't had trouble with plutonium. If you find a big crystal of it make sure to grab all of the mini crystals around it, too, all together that usually grabs me quite a bit that I only do it once a planet (and usually land several times.)
If you're on PC, there's a mod that halves (or x.25) your launch cost that I really like because 12.5% for each take off feels about right to me.

I have more trouble finding thaumium 9 for warp fuel. It seems like you can only either find it from sparse flowers (dumb) or randomly in small amounts from asteroids. I wish there was a more reliable source, either more consistent asteroids (or a way to scan them!) or crystals or something.

Edit: and Zinc, too. Anything that is sourced only from flowers and needed in large amounts is annoying.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

SlothBear posted:

I think the more radioactive a planet is the more plutonium you find. On planets with high radiation it's not that much reduced, but nice tranquil planets it is pretty scarce.

Apparently crafting the fuel power things is more efficient than just using raw mats but I haven't really messed around with it yet.
That's good to hear, I'll have to look into both of those. I have enough of a stockpile from before but it would be good to secure a supply before it becomes an issue.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Anime Store Adventure posted:

If you're on PC, there's a mod that halves (or x.25) your launch cost that I really like because 12.5% for each take off feels about right to me.

That and the mod that speeds up hazard recovery in your ship and in caves has made Survival a much more enjoyable experience for me.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Does sun color effect non-iron, non-Thalmium asteroid elements? I just hit up my first green sun system and there were a ton of gold asteroids. Haven't seen them anywhere else, but I've probably only visited a dozen or so systems so far.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Bob Socko posted:

Does sun color effect non-iron, non-Thalmium asteroid elements? I just hit up my first green sun system and there were a ton of gold asteroids. Haven't seen them anywhere else, but I've probably only visited a dozen or so systems so far.

I think it may. I know that the different classes of systems have different elements available (gated behind the various warp drives required to get to them).

I know systems labeled as "B" or "O" have the rarest stuff, while I think "G" or "F" planets have the most common. The letters also correspond to the colors of the sun, so I think you're right...?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

How do I recover the materials from a beacon scanner, and do I lose any in the process? Also, how do I know if I can land at a beacon that will let me take off without using plutonium?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

How much do freighters cost on average? I'm still on 1.04 so I figured I'd grind out some ship salvaging before upgrading so I can buy one straight away.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Woke up to a small patch on the experimental branch that has fixed my SLI/flickering problem. Hooray I can play!

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

zenintrude posted:

How much do freighters cost on average? I'm still on 1.04 so I figured I'd grind out some ship salvaging before upgrading so I can buy one straight away.

They are priced just like the flyable starships. I paid 7 million for my first 13 slot freighter, and they scale up to 48 slots.

Also, the physical size of the freighter has nothing to do with it's slot capacity, and each freighter slot can hold 1000 units of a material, so each freighter slot has 4 times the capacity of your personal inventory slots.

Freighter inventory management still sucks though. You can only transfer between freighter and ship, so materials that you are holding have to go to your ship before they can go into the freighter. And a full 1k slot on the freighter has to be fully unloaded to two 500 unit slots in your ship, and then one of those has to be split into 250 unit slots to get into your backpack.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

HoboTech posted:

Regarding the plutonium:

I have a suspicion that the game will (eventually) generate at least a small amount of plutonium anywhere you land, and I think it can do it even after you've been in an area. Every time I land, I hit the scanner key, and 9 times out of 10 if I chill for a minute there will be some plutonium near by.

So I mined up a patch of plutonium and as I was walking away a few sentinels came over and started scanning the ground and moving around in circles. I turned around again and there was more plutonium there. I'm pretty sure I cleared the area of plutonium (I'm always desperate for the stuff), so it seemed like the sentinels actually made it appear. Of course, that could be coincidental and it's always possible I was just sleepy and missed a bunch.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It definitely will occasionally spawn. I walked past a spot, turned around after hitting my scanner, and there was a new spawn of chrysonite or whatever it is, the blue crystals. Same goes for flowers, had a pair of thaumium spawn nearby my ship on a return trip after I had already cleared the area.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm probably gonna cave in and install a mod to lower the plutonium cost of launching. I'm spending the vast majority of my time looking for plutonium and waiting for my hazard shield to recharge.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Land on a dead planet to farm plutonium because the crystals are more plentiful there. The environment won't drain your hazard shield, though it will drain your life support faster but that's no problem because thamium9 is everywhere in big clusters.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

HoboTech posted:

The current issue I'm having is I started over and want to find a new place to build a base, but I can't seem to find one after having skipped out on a previous site (hostile sentinels? nah). Does anyone know if the player base locations are super limited or if I'm just having bad luck finding them? Usually I find them by scanning while out in space, but I haven't been locating any and it's starting to get old.

Yeah, there are multiple bases per planet. You can scan from space but that's not really how you're supposed to find them. Once on a planet, craft a scanner. I think it's like 100 plutonium and 50 platinum or iron. It will find a home base, drop pod, trading post or something else. Like a planet? Craft the beacon, find a home, donezo beans.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

How do you fix your ship? I got blasted by some pirates and barely made it out alive, but I can't find the option to fix the 'health' of my ship (not the shields, I know you can recharge those with iron).

e: Also in survival it feels like I'm constantly being attacked by pirates to an annoying extent. I'd like to fly around a bit and maybe mine an asteroid or two in peace. Does it ever let up?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

How do you fix your ship? I got blasted by some pirates and barely made it out alive, but I can't find the option to fix the 'health' of my ship (not the shields, I know you can recharge those with iron).

e: Also in survival it feels like I'm constantly being attacked by pirates to an annoying extent. I'd like to fly around a bit and maybe mine an asteroid or two in peace. Does it ever let up?

Talk to an NPC in a building or the one behind the bar in a space station, after the initial puzzle option you can give them carbon to interact with them again and one of the options is to request ship repairs. You need 20 carbon for each time you talk to them and it doesn't pop up every time so you have to do it a few times, and you may need to be of a certain standing with their race. At least that's how I always do it, there may be an easier way that I'm missing.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Grr, right now my entire base building quest chain is stalled behind me finding venom sacs. I've combed four large blue star systems so far and not seen them.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Often aliens that are in space stations and sometimes outposts on planets will offer a ship repair if you answer their riddle correctly.

You can also feed them carbon to reset them so that they can be talked to again and try multiple times. Honestly, it might be faster to die in space and respawn; you should be able to recollect your dropped inventory.

Once you install all the shield upgrades you are basically invincible, as long as you can keep shoveling iron back into your shields.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Is any progression actually gated behind the story (whether nada and polo or atlas?) can i get both the atlas passes and warp reactors with out bothering with those dudes?

Also, how do I get the loving warp reactor blueprints? I feel like I should be progressing more effectively. I have tons of money but I just can't seem to leverage it into upgrades.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm enjoying survival if only for the fact that it actually takes effort to stay alive in the first couple of hours. The trek of getting to the shop and finding materials while also scavenging for thamium has been actually fun. I can roam at night without issues but I need to hide in caves during the day. Scanning being as slow as it is and jetpat draining your life support means I actually need to trek places instead of mindlessly rocket boosting to the next checkpoint. Makes you appreciate where you are a bit more.

And the landscape isn't littered (so far) with outposts! This game could actually be fun now holy poo poo.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I went from about 50k to 700k just trading poo poo from one ship to another in the space station in my starter system. Seems like a good way to help get your feet under you in survival.

e: Now 2 million, and I've never even landed on a second planet. I also have like 1500 plutonium. Looks like a good way to cheese survival.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 3, 2016

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I played NMS for 80 hours and finally uninstalled it about a month ago. Now these changes have me hyped again. The only stumbling block is that all the mods I had installed are no longer compatible, so I had to remove them and try find up to date versions of them.

So longs Mountains, big stuff and that one mod that placed objects from the beta footage onto planets... You'll be sorely missed :(

But at least now I get Survival and Plutonium isn't powering everything I own.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

blackguy32 posted:

I just hate how touch and go everything is. It feels like I land at a structure, do stuff, go back to my ship and then find the next structure and repeat.

I'm afraid to jetpack places because it still takes forever and then you have to jetpack back to your ship when you're done.

Really need some kind of "call ship" tool. The landing spots aren't convenient enough, especially now that buildings are more spread out.

Or poo poo, just let me 'beam up' to my ship Star Trek style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I bought NMS this week, because it was on sale and the Foundation update features seemed cool (in a "gosh I hope the Subnautica dev has a good lawyer" kind of way).

I'm about 20 hours in, just dawdling around, on my fourth or fifth ship (a cool submarine-rear end space submarine; the first ship I've truly loved). I've explored a handful of systems pretty thoroughly, and passed through a handful more. I've started construction on a rad hot pink base on a rad hot pink planet covered in adorably rad hot pink blob aliens.

Altogether I'm having a pretty good time, and could see myself sticking with it for a good long while. It's good space-out podcast/YouTube chilltime, just like Elite: Dangerous, or driving trucks in ETS2/ATS.

A few random things I wish:
* That my little assistant would hurry up and teach me how to build landing pads.
* That ships slots were upgradable in number (like exo slots); I'm sad that I'm probably going to have go through a number of uggo ships before landing that 40-slot space submarine of my dreams.
* An actual objective list to track multiple quests; also loving quit giving me reminders to hire a Builder when I obviously already hired a Builder ages ago.
* Lemme bookmark poo poo on some kind of map.

Keep in mind, I never played NMS v1, but a few of the things people are complaining about in the Foundation update don't really ring true to me. Stuff like OMG NO PLUTONIUM! In my admittedly limited experience, the elemental balance RNG pretty clearly varies by planet. Sometimes planets have jack poo poo for Pu, forcing you to scrounge and conserve; possibly even bringing a couple extra stacks of the stuff with you. But other planets are chock full of the red stuff, throwing more Pu in my path than I could possibly carry. I can see how a low-Pu world could be really frustrating in a new game, but once your warp drive is up and running, for Atlas' sake don't just hunker down in a lovely spot that's short on one of your most precious elements; search for greener pastures!

Because of its extreme degrees of randomness, I feel like this is a really bad game to string together a couple handfuls of anecdotal experiences and assume they apply to the game in its entirety...?

NPC inventories are in that same boat, sometimes being annoyingly identical as ships come and go, but streaks like that don't always happen and they don't last forever.

In conclusion I like NMS quite a bit so far, but I don't think I would have liked it very much at all if I'd bought it for full price on release day, so I'm sure glad I didn't do that. :unsmith:

• Locked thread