Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!
Has anyone said 'ManofManyAnuses' yet?

edit: I, for one, am glad of the fresh start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

It's time for a new belt imo

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hav posted:

They were preceeded by Voodoo and S3 who broke hard into 3d around the time of wing commander prophecy. Voodoo never managed to break away from the limitations of Glide and S3 Virge cards were really loving variable; but they were cheap enough for LAN games of Quake Arena. gently caress the Longest Yard.

I believe that the release of Tie Fighter coincided with the launch of 3d hardware, mainly because you had the dos4/gw executable and a brand new windows client that used a new API called Direct3D.

Yeah, I only bring up nVidia because of the 1993 connection and what we've arrived at today in terms of market share — the GeForce 256 didn't come out until, what? '98-'99:ish, and that was the end of the old 3D add-on cards — on-chip hardware T&L had arrived.

TIE Fighter was essentially the 2.0 of X-Wing: take everything that worked, refine it, and make one of the best games in the genre for a long time. However, the initial version didn't use any of that tech, iirc (although the first Voodoo was released that year). They made a (significantly) updated version for the Collector's CD Edition in 1998, running on Windows, and I think that's when they squeezed in 3D acceleration and all the other good stuff. So it may have coincided with the GeForce launch, if that's what you're thinking of?

The other important year would otherwise be 1996 (but then I'd have to rant about Wing Commander IV instead): the year of Quake, Duke 3D, Civ II, Super Mario 64, Diablo, Warcraft II… aaaand Tomb Raider. Why does TR get a special mention? Because it is commonly credited as the first major title to come with 3D acceleration support built in from the start rather than as a later patch or addition (which is why I'm curious about the details of TIE Fighter… but then, Descent (1995) didn't have acceleration either so the TR claim is probably accurate). Even Quake had to wait a year until GLQuake was released.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

someone's on a roll

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ART

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

What human interface devices do you oft elect to use

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What human interface devices do you oft elect to use

He only uses human restraint devices though?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Erenthal posted:

He only uses human restraint devices though?

if he had human restraint he'd be $10k richer

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This guy. :allears:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Yeah, I only bring up nVidia because of the 1993 connection and what we've arrived at today in terms of market share — the GeForce 256 didn't come out until, what? '98-'99:ish, and that was the end of the old 3D add-on cards — on-chip hardware T&L had arrived.

TIE Fighter was essentially the 2.0 of X-Wing: take everything that worked, refine it, and make one of the best games in the genre for a long time. However, the initial version didn't use any of that tech, iirc (although the first Voodoo was released that year). They made a (significantly) updated version for the Collector's CD Edition in 1998, running on Windows, and I think that's when they squeezed in 3D acceleration and all the other good stuff. So it may have coincided with the GeForce launch, if that's what you're thinking of?

That's very possible - the era coincided with my discovery of ecstacy, so recall gets fuzzy for a three year period that I just recall being awesome.

I remember picking up Carmageddon Max Damage, then going back a week later to splurge on a Voodoo 1 and wing commander prophecy; the Voodoo 1 was the piggyback card where you took the output of your normal graphics card and fed it through the Voodoo with a little lead.

After initial problems with the drivers, I was blown away because gourud was all we had until that point.

While I'm fairly certain that I downloaded an executable at some point from a BBS that updated Tie Fighter to 3DFX, your recollection of the time might be better.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yes. You.

I don't know why, though. Masochism? :shrug:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Libluini posted:

Yes. You.

I don't know why, though. Masochism? :shrug:

Post / AV Combo checks out.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

How about this guy?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hav posted:

That's very possible - the era coincided with my discovery of ecstacy, so recall gets fuzzy for a three year period that I just recall being awesome.

I remember picking up Carmageddon Max Damage, then going back a week later to splurge on a Voodoo 1 and wing commander prophecy; the Voodoo 1 was the piggyback card where you took the output of your normal graphics card and fed it through the Voodoo with a little lead.

After initial problems with the drivers, I was blown away because gourud was all we had until that point.

While I'm fairly certain that I downloaded an executable at some point from a BBS that updated Tie Fighter to 3DFX, your recollection of the time might be better.

Could be both, tbh. A lot of games scrambled to update for 3D once the cards started to gain traction — Lucasart weren't exactly lazy so they probably did so too. I just remember that TR got a lot of press, not just because of the game itself (which obviously spawned a side-genre of its own) and because of Lara, but because of how they managed to ride that wave perfectly right from the release version.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

spacetoaster posted:

How about this guy?

what about him

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
He's right.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
HOOAH

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
'Murica, gently caress yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1mlCPMYtPk

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Tippis posted:

Also, continuing the discussion where we last left off…

Microsoft peripherals were amazing back in the day and some kind of silly brand loyalty to them is the only sensible reason not to go to Logitech. It would still be silly, but at least understandable.

Ok. Only 6664 to go.

I got a steel series sensei because it was on some sort of super sale and it's been ridiculously awesome.

I miss the Microsoft Intellimouse Optical. The Sensei was the closest I could find to it though.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Zowie EC-1 Evo has mostly the same shape as the intellimouse explorer

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I got a steel series sensei because it was on some sort of super sale and it's been ridiculously awesome.

I miss the Microsoft Intellimouse Optical. The Sensei was the closest I could find to it though.

:same:

That old Microsoft mouse was the best.

I had a razor mouse for a few years but it wore out.

Some idiot goon told me to get a Logitech one because they have great customer service and will send you a replacement when it breaks every nine months or something.

I ended up getting a steel series one and I really like it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I swear I had the only MX518 that wasn't bulletproof. Mine crapped out after a year or so. The logitech mmo mouse is good though, for sure. It's very large and I didn't like the third mouse button they put under your pinky, but I loved that mouse. Mine recently died and I got the Corsair one, I think it's called the Scimitar. It's a bit smaller, but it's nice because the number pad on the side can be moved backward or forward and then locked in place so you can put the thumb buttons exactly where you want them. The only downside is it uses Corsair's CUE program to control the lighting and buttons and junk, but CUE is getting better and since I have a Corsair headset I already use it anyway, so it's nice to be able to control all my peripherals from one window.

It's extra handy for doing multicrew in Star Citizen because I can macro commands to my thumb buttons and have different macros for each mouse mode - one for doing scanning, one for C&C, one for working the main weapons control, one for ahahahaha just kidding.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

spacetoaster posted:

How about this guy?

This guy is a special snowflake! :allears:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5g3ujj/do_i_have_to_download_entire_game_again_after_26/

Star Citizen: Tedious and Frustrating

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
What mouse is best for fidelitously tilting my character to space poop in the space toilet across the room while manning the space gun for multi space crew battles?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

reddit poster CradleRobin (gets me every time) in there quick with the Jesus patch defense.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Charles Get-Out posted:

What mouse is best for fidelitously tilting my character to space poop in the space toilet across the room while manning the space gun for multi space crew battles?

The trackball on the star citizen HOTAS of course

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

The trackball on the star citizen HOTAS of course

Simple.

Elegant.

Functional.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

reddit poster CradleRobin (gets me every time) in there quick with the Jesus patch defense.

Yeah. The name really hit home during the Happy Alaskan defense thread.

He's going to always have a Jesus Patch defense. Even when/if 3.0 comes out, it'll be "In the next one. They're working on it. Cut them some slack! They've progressed to pre-alpha-alpha-beta now!" - ad infinitum.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Charles Get-Out posted:

Apple Mighty Mouse or the Magic Mouse in a pinch.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Simple.

Elegant.

Functional.

Dementropy posted:

Yeah. The name really hit home during the Happy Alaskan defense thread.

He's going to always have a Jesus Patch defense. Even when/if 3.0 comes out, it'll be "In the next one. They're working on it. Cut them some slack! They've progressed to pre-alpha-alpha-beta now!" - ad infinitum.

Be careful quoting me guys, you could end up on the Old School Internet Warlord's ignore list.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Be careful quoting me guys, you could end up on the Old School Internet Warlord's ignore list.

Just keep posting the good stuff and soon he'll have the whole thread on ignore

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chalks posted:

Just tested, you can't put a mod or admin on ignore. Anyone wanting to talk to Derek will have to go through Beet or Beer.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chalks posted:

:grin:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Zowie EC-1 Evo has mostly the same shape as the intellimouse explorer

Zowie is good and is what I use for my gaming mice. For work/everyday mice, though, I like the vertical mouse design of Evoluent more.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
(Stealing Daztek's valor)

Have they kissed & made up yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Hey Derek, seriously though: a while back you mentioned that some source dropped a lot of dirt on your lap. Did that turn out to be a hoax or troll or something? You haven't mentioned it in a while.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm just honestly curious.

e: taxxe

Propagandist fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 2, 2016