Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Is there a way to make Timely start up on reboots? It's a great alarm app but if my phone reboots overnight (Pixel XL, twice???), the alarm doesn't go off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Deathlove posted:

Is there a way to make Timely start up on reboots? It's a great alarm app but if my phone reboots overnight (Pixel XL, twice???), the alarm doesn't go off.

I've never had Timely not come back up to the state it was when the phone was powered down ever. That's definitely something I would have noticed. My first thought was maybe it's not signed in (so the cloud backup can work) but there's nothing about that in the settings and I don't think it uses Marshmallow permissions where some can be denied. Still, check Settings > Apps > Timely to see that all permissions are accepted (there are only Contacts & Storage, and it would seem to me that Storage is the one that matters, Contacts is for sharing).

I checked and mine doesn't have it excluded from Doze (alarms shouldn't need to be) so I know that isn't it.

Worse comes to worst, clear data & storage, uninstall and reinstall and see if that fixes the problem. The best I can tell you is that what you're seeing isn't normal and it's not how it behaves for me at all.

Also why is your Pixel rebooting? It shouldn't be doing that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Deathlove posted:

So yeah, like the big buried lede here is that your Pixel is rebooting...

Also like LastInLine says Timely shouldn't need any special treatment to continue working between reboots.

Your phone is hosed.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Thermopyle posted:

Interesting, you're describing my experience with Pandora except saying it's GPM.
I'm not gonna say that Pandora never loses connection, but its about 1/10th the frequency compared to GPM, if not less.

Oh yeah, the other lovely thing is when you go to look at the app to see why it stopped playing, it tries to trick you into thinking you are in power saving mode, with the same color theme.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

:siren: Multiple security vulnerabilities found in AirDroid, including ability to send malicious APKs to a user's device :siren:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Deathlove posted:

It does that, I've never had timely not persist during reboots/anything. As said, why the hell is your phone rebooting??

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Thanks for the keyboard info. I'll look at what I have then read up on the others.

Update, I installed SwiftKey and will give it a trial run. Is it worth making an account?

wormil fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 2, 2016

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

It does that, I've never had timely not persist during reboots/anything. As said, why the hell is your phone rebooting??

Dunno, I'm asleep when it happens! :v:

I assumed it was part and parcel of the Android 7 experience, but my patch is still at 11/5/2016. Other than that, and a weird Maps glitch when I'm in Auto (which I assumed was because Auto is pretty much beta at this point), my experience has been extremely solid, so! If there's a system log somewhere where I can say "yo why'd you reboot", that'd be a good thing for me to check.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
How often is it rebooting?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Deathlove posted:

Dunno, I'm asleep when it happens! :v:

I assumed it was part and parcel of the Android 7 experience, but my patch is still at 11/5/2016. Other than that, and a weird Maps glitch when I'm in Auto (which I assumed was because Auto is pretty much beta at this point), my experience has been extremely solid, so! If there's a system log somewhere where I can say "yo why'd you reboot", that'd be a good thing for me to check.

http://android-revolution-hd.blogspot.com/2014/02/how-to-generate-kernel-log-after-random.html

dmesg or logcats from before it reboots would be handy too but harder to get obviously seeing as it's random

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Vykk.Draygo posted:

How often is it rebooting?

Had it for about five weeks, first time was about two weeks ago.

Blue Train posted:

http://android-revolution-hd.blogspot.com/2014/02/how-to-generate-kernel-log-after-random.html

dmesg or logcats from before it reboots would be handy too but harder to get obviously seeing as it's random

Can't seem to find that file location and looking for where such a thing would be in Android 7.1 isn't turning up anything.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

wormil posted:

Update, I installed SwiftKey and will give it a trial run. Is it worth making an account?

Making an account is tied to it going through and learning your patterns from all your previous texts/emails/IMs /whatever you want it to predict from so if you want it to get scary accurate yes make an account.
If you don't care about its prediction ability then don't.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Deathlove posted:

Can't seem to find that file location and looking for where such a thing would be in Android 7.1 isn't turning up anything.

Try /sys/fs/pstore/console-ramoops 

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I uninstalled AirDroid a while back due to never really using it anymore, but holy poo poo.

quote:

The request is encrypted, but uses a hardcoded key in the AirDroid application (so essentially, everyone using AirDroid has the same key).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Deathlove posted:

Had it for about five weeks, first time was about two weeks ago.

That doesn't answer my question. How often is it rebooting?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Realistically if the answwer is anything other than "never" then something's seriously wrong. When's the last time you had your device panic? For me I'm certain it's been more than a year, and probably years.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Realistically if the answwer is anything other than "never" then something's seriously wrong. When's the last time you had your device panic? For me I'm certain it's been more than a year, and probably years.
For me it's every other time I use Daydream. That thing is a bit of a disaster.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Snapchat used to reliably crash my phone into a reboot, never figured out if it was my phone or the app, didn't care enough about it to troubleshoot. But otherwise, yeah never.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

But if it's a nightly occurrence, then it's easier to narrow down than if it's completely random.

Tunga posted:

For me it's every other time I use Daydream. That thing is a bit of a disaster.

Daydream the VR poo poo or Daydream the screensaver thing?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Any waze users know what triggers it interrupt driving directions randomly and say "how can i help you" and overlay a microphone and no amount of screaming to gently caress off will make it go away?

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

peepsalot posted:

Any waze users know what triggers it interrupt driving directions randomly and say "how can i help you" and overlay a microphone and no amount of screaming to gently caress off will make it go away?

Voice Commands. I had them turned off for a long time, but recently figured I'd check the box and see what happens. It hasn't done anything good for me, so you just reminded me to shut it off too.

You can tap the microphone icon to make it go away. Or you can go to Settings ==> Voice commands

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

iluvpr0n posted:

Voice Commands. I had them turned off for a long time, but recently figured I'd check the box and see what happens. It hasn't done anything good for me, so you just reminded me to shut it off too.

You can tap the microphone icon to make it go away. Or you can go to Settings ==> Voice commands
Hrm, yeah. Voice commands honestly seem like a good idea for a driving navigation app, but the times it happened to me, I wasn't touching the phone at all, it was sitting in my passenger seat(still need to get a phone mount for this car). I guess it falsely detected waving at it to activate, i'm gonna try the 3 finger tap only to activate, though I'll probably forget to ever use it. Wish I could set it to respond to "OK Waze", or something like that, that wouldn't involve hands.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

wormil posted:

I recently switched back to Android from a Win phone and I don't care much for the keyboard. In some apps a double tap on a word will select it, in other apps it does nothing, in some apps it asks if I want to select everything. It doesn't anticipate that I want to paste something I just cut or copied from another tab. Sometimes double tapping or press and hold does nothing useful.

I dunno if other keyboards mess this up somehow, but the usual way to select a word is to long-press it. Then you can drag the end points to select more. A short tap should just put the cursor there, and you can tap its anchor point to get a paste menu etc

LastInLine posted:

Actually this is a good time to ask something: I was in the official Philips Hue app and noticed they disable swiping in their renaming fields. How loving annoying! Has anyone else has ever seen this before? I've seen it for password fields but I could of course see the letters and I wouldn't suspect you could have one without the other. This was on the Google Keyboard if that makes a difference.

There isn't a specific password box, you just add attributes to a text input box to make it look and behave in certain ways. Here's the list if you care! I guess it's probably just disabling suggestions, and that also prevents swiping?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It's amazing how often I run across text inputs that have terrible choices of attributes. The worst are ones that disable suggestions needlessly.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Daydream the VR poo poo or Daydream the screensaver thing?
VR.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Just the two times, once on Thursday night and once a few weeks ago, both times when I was asleep. Never when I've been using it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

baka kaba posted:

... but the usual way to select a word is to long-press it.

Usual to what? That works on a web page but in an input field it selects all text, same behavior in Swiftkey and Google keyboards. Also, I hated Swiftkey. Half the words I swyped would be wrong and after I corrected them it would "fix" them wrong again. I had a horrible time with "many" which it thought should be "mammy" and wouldn't relent. Also it forces you to delete the word letter by letter instead of a whole word at a time. I uninstalled it and went back to Google keyboard.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

wormil posted:

Also it forces you to delete the word letter by letter instead of a whole word at a time. I uninstalled it and went back to Google keyboard.

Long pressing the backspace key in flow mode deletes full words.

The "mammy" resolution is to backspace once so the word appears in the prediction box, long press that, and set it to never predict that word again.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 4, 2016

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

Usual to what? That works on a web page but in an input field it selects all text, same behavior in Swiftkey and Google keyboards.
As mentioned already this isn't a function of the keyboard, it's determined by the app that you are using. In most apps long pressing will select a single word. You can also double tap the word. By default that is how a text input works so if it works otherwise the developer has deliberately changed that. Google apps, for example, will all select a single word.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
I have a question for a recommendation, and I'm not sure what I'm asking for would be the proper solution, or just an ugly hack job. But here goes.

Is there a good app that reads a pdf out loud? I've got a few e-books that don't have an audiobook available, and I was wondering if this would be a good (or at least, tolerable) work around.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

wormil posted:

Also, I hated Swiftkey. Half the words I swyped would be wrong and after I corrected them it would "fix" them wrong again. I had a horrible time with "many" which it thought should be "mammy" and wouldn't relent. Also it forces you to delete the word letter by letter instead of a whole word at a time. I uninstalled it and went back to Google keyboard.

Don't swipe with SwiftKey. If you want a swiping keyboard, try Swype. If you turn off swiping, you can swipe from right to left to delete by word.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

GoingPostal posted:

Is there a good app that reads a pdf out loud? I've got a few e-books that don't have an audiobook available, and I was wondering if this would be a good (or at least, tolerable) work around.

Moon Reader for document TTS + generic reading, or for a literal READ ANYTHING ALOUD app there's SayIt

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Tunga posted:

As mentioned already this isn't a function of the keyboard, it's determined by the app that you are using. In most apps long pressing will select a single word. You can also double tap the word. By default that is how a text input works so if it works otherwise the developer has deliberately changed that. Google apps, for example, will all select a single word.

I just tried it in Google chrome and long pressing selects everything in a text input.

Scudworth posted:

Long pressing the backspace key in flow mode deletes full words.

The "mammy" resolution is to backspace once so the word appears in the prediction box, long press that, and set it to never predict that word again.

I don't want it to never predict that word again, I want it to predict more accurately without making an account. It couldn't do that so I switched back.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

wormil posted:

I just tried it in Google chrome and long pressing selects everything in a text input.

I just tried it in Google chrome and long pressing selects one word in a text input.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just tried as well, in a Gmail body. What was the exact website and field you were typing in that exhibited this behavior?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

wormil posted:

Sometimes a text box is set to highlight everything when you move focus to it, so you can clear it easily. Tap on it again and you'll get the normal cursor where you tapped, and everything will be deselected. Then you can long-press to select part of the text if you want

You're probably just not used to the general input behaviour and we are, so it's second nature to tap twice to put the cursor in a field or whatever. You'll get the hang of it. Keyboard suggestions are a whole other thing

Also the Google keyboard is pretty broken for me sometimes, probably the swipe backspace thing messing up (even when I'm tapping it). Really weird poo poo happens

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wormil posted:

I don't want it to never predict that word again, I want it to predict more accurately without making an account. It couldn't do that so I switched back.

wormil posted:

Scudworth posted:

Making an account is tied to it going through and learning your patterns from all your previous texts/emails/IMs /whatever you want it to predict from so if you want it to get scary accurate yes make an account.
If you don't care about its prediction ability then don't.

I think I found the problem.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I don't use Gmail, tried it in Hangouts and long pressing selected one word. Tried again in chrome search bar and long pressing selected everything.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

LastInLine posted:

I think I found the problem.

And there it is, inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

wormil posted:

I don't use Gmail, tried it in Hangouts and long pressing selected one word. Tried again in chrome search bar and long pressing selected everything.

It's like that only for the location bar and it's extremely annoying