Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Auuugh the Water Purifier is being impossible to find for some reason. I bet the parts glitched under the sand.

Anyway, my "newbie" guide mostly for people returning.

Light blue fish are water, eye fish are food. Cook 'em in the evacuation pod.
Make sure you're filled up on food, same for water + carry a bit of extra, grab the medikit from the evacuation pod.
Beeline away from the Aurora compared to the evacuation pod until you arrive at the edge of Stuff Looking Different.
Keep tracking that line until you hit creepvines. Collect 6 of their seeds - the glowing yellow things - they take 24 inventory.
Get back to the evacuation pod, collect salt on the way back, make three Rubber, turn 2 rubber into fins, then 1 rubber + 1 titanium into knife. Grab a medikit.

Go and annoy the crashpods (red things in caves near the evacuation pod that shoot a missile if you get too close) until you find one with Crash Powder in it.
It's annoying as poo poo for everyone, that's why you got the fins before.
Make the Repair Tool. Repair the pod and its radio.
Stock up on supplies again.
Go to the edge of Stuff Looking Different and break rocks on the different-looking area until you find silver ore. If necessary, return to the evacuation pod to store extra stuff. Make the floating containers in the last crafting menu if you need to.
Grab the crystal looking things and the metal scraps on the way back - quartz is used for glass, the metal's used for building. Do not turn the titanium into ingots.
Once you have the silver, grab 2 Table Coral (red mushroom looking things on the side of rocks, usually multiple on top of each other) with the knife, then make a Habitat Builder.
Go under and a bit to the side of the evacuation pod, make a foundation, then a tunnel on it, then a Solar Panel (in the Power tab of the Habitat Builder), then a hatch.
Make a Locker inside the little habitat you have. You have not-awful storage.
Then make a Scanner - you need two weird mushrooms that are everywhere around the evacuation pod, some copper and titanium. Same parts for batteries that power everything - you can recharge empty batteries later.

At this point, the world's your terrifying oyster, but generally you'd make a beeline for the Floating Island - the Aurora is east of the evacuation pod, and the Floating Island is south, quite a journey.
You need at least spare water, a knife, a scanner and a habitat builder for the trip. Stay near the surface, scary things are below.
Once there, find the abandoned place. It has fruits. Scan the exterior growbed, then build your own somewhere nearby, pick up the Marblemelons from the pre-built one, plant them into yours, then break them with a knife for seeds, and plant the seeds. Scanning the buildings on the floating island grabs you all of the normal base building blocks.
Escape Pod 6 has the Radiation Suit, it and the tools you have allow you to go to the Aurora and repair the engine so it removes the radiation problem. You can't get to New Stuff without a cutter there, but you can grab a set of Seamoth blueprints and get rid of the radiation. Near the Aurora has a bunch of annoying wildlife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

endlessmonotony posted:

Go under and a bit to the side of the evacuation pod, make a foundation, then a tunnel on it, then a Solar Panel (in the Power tab of the Habitat Builder), then a hatch.

Then make a Scanner - you need two weird mushrooms that are everywhere around the evacuation pod, some copper and titanium. Same parts for batteries that power everything - you can recharge empty batteries later.

You need the scanner to scan the solar panel parts lying around the safe shallows and kelp forest before you can build panels.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Paracelsus posted:

You need the scanner to scan the solar panel parts lying around the safe shallows and kelp forest before you can build panels.

Not as of the latest update you don't.

Also yeah I forgot you probably want 2-4 titanium for the trip to the Floating Island just for the growbeds.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Don't go near the deep water around the aft side of the Aurora... just don't

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
I got back into this after a long while and spent a few hours looking for the exosuit parts. I found an arm piece, but not the suit itself. I finally looked it up on the wiki and went to look for stuff in the Aurora. The ship has changed, but the stuff that wiki says is there doesn't exist in my game. There also some odd empty areas visible in the ship.

Is my save file possibly broken, or was I supposed to start a new game to have all the new features?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Some features don't load into existing games.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

endlessmonotony posted:

Escape Pod 6 has the Radiation Suit, it and the tools you have allow you to go to the Aurora and repair the engine so it removes the radiation problem.

Radiation Suit? Is my game glitched or is this information wrong? I'm able to build the suit with 2 Rubber and 2 Lead from the very beginning of the game, didn't need to scan blueprints or anything. This is starting a new game on the latest version.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

scuba school sucks posted:

Radiation Suit? Is my game glitched or is this information wrong? I'm able to build the suit with 2 Rubber and 2 Lead from the very beginning of the game, didn't need to scan blueprints or anything. This is starting a new game on the latest version.

You find an actual suit, not fragments to be scanned. The pod is in shallow water near the center, so it's easier to grab than 2 lead if you're still in the first couple of hours in a new game.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Promontory posted:

I got back into this after a long while and spent a few hours looking for the exosuit parts. I found an arm piece, but not the suit itself. I finally looked it up on the wiki and went to look for stuff in the Aurora. The ship has changed, but the stuff that wiki says is there doesn't exist in my game. There also some odd empty areas visible in the ship.

Is my save file possibly broken, or was I supposed to start a new game to have all the new features?

You have to start a new game. But thankfully they have changed things so much in the other updates that the experience is totally different from your first playthrough. Wrecks are where it is at. So repair the Lifepod and listen to distress calls.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Preem Palver posted:

You find an actual suit, not fragments to be scanned. The pod is in shallow water near the center, so it's easier to grab than 2 lead if you're still in the first couple of hours in a new game.

I think the suit is missing one part of the "set", though.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I can never seem to find the suit, that pod's always just empty for me :saddowns:

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

Lonos Oboe posted:

You have to start a new game. But thankfully they have changed things so much in the other updates that the experience is totally different from your first playthrough. Wrecks are where it is at. So repair the Lifepod and listen to distress calls.

Yeah, seems like that's the case. I could use the console to spawn a suit but that's just not the same. Thanks for the replies!

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Yep, jest playing hardcore, I bet I can find some silver down in this cave so I can get started building a base. Hmm, better be careful, that stalker could be a problem, I'll just keep watching him and shank him if he gets too close. I can whack this sandstone and still see where he's at, I thin- IT IS YOUR PRIMARY OBJECTIVE TO SWIM CLOSER TO TH GRARRR RIP REND SHRED CHOKE GASP DIE

Goddammit I never had them double team me like that before. gently caress you Subnautica. Okay let's try that again gently caress it I'll go see about these lifepods with all these signals and stuff. Okay Lifepod 7, well, that's not much but it's one medikit and one more water than I had a minute ago, it's getting dark I better get back to the pod. drat, I thought this new update got rid of the pop-in but I really can't see this shallow sandy area in front of me for poo poo. Okay it's loading I can kinda see OH HOLY GREAT GODDAMN gently caress I NEVER SEEN A REAPER THIS SHALLOW BEFORE CRUNCH GULP SWALLOW DIE

Fuhu-hu-hu-huck yew, Subnautica, I am NOT playing hardcore ever again. The first one, that was a legitimate death, but this second one is total bullshit. Start new game, SURVIVAL. Take your hardcore and jam it sideways Subnautica. Take your pop-in biomes and jam them backwards and jam your Reapers appearing out of midair right next to them.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

I mean I still love the game but goddamn that is demoralizing.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Lonos Oboe posted:

A few pages ago I suggested the thread title should be changed to "Subnautica: If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea" alas, no dice. Otherwise this thread would be top of the games forum.

I am seconding and thirding this

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I am seconding and thirding this

Good news, just check the thread title again.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Ask me about dying on a 6 hr plus run to a stinging cave jellyfish

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Yeah, I believe you can thank Met for that.

I am not a fan of hardcore modes in games. I think it's mostly because a lot of survival games are about figuring out the limits and where you can push them. Also, the fact stuff glitches so much means it's not exactly fair. I recently replayed Alien Isolation based on our earlier stalker creature chat and I could not imagine a universe where Amanda Ripley could possibly have survived all the poo poo she went through. It's like Ellen Ripley X6 including her dying and coming back. That element of fear that gives men wings is central to a survival game, but there is no need to go overboard. Losing all your stuff and respawning at your base is punishment enough.

Seriously, anyone having trouble finding the suit in the Aurora. Especially if your playthough is before June or July, you really should restart. You can use the console to give you starter resources. I would suggest using "MADLOOT" (Spawns Survival Knife, Habitat Builder, 3x Battery, 4x Computer Chip, 5x Creepvine Sample, 10x Titanium and 10x Glass.)

But as I mentioned, it's much more balanced and challenging to just vanilla it. Also, you know a lot of the mechanics Within about 6 hours I had a decent base, the Seamoth, Cyclops and the Prawn

dylguy90 posted:

Ask me about dying on a 6 hr plus run to a stinging cave jellyfish

You know, you can hook up your nuts to a car battery and pay someone in Yemen to activate it for you over Skype. It's less time consuming and achieves the same result.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

LuiCypher posted:

I'm honestly surprised they haven't programmed the vending machine to shoot colas at you fast enough to hurt you.

Alas, you cannot make a pirate radio station either.

AND I SAY TO MYSELF
"I NEED EXACT CHANGE"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lonos Oboe posted:

Yeah, I believe you can thank Met for that.

I am not a fan of hardcore modes in games. I think it's mostly because a lot of survival games are about figuring out the limits and where you can push them. Also, the fact stuff glitches so much means it's not exactly fair. I recently replayed Alien Isolation based on our earlier stalker creature chat and I could not imagine a universe where Amanda Ripley could possibly have survived all the poo poo she went through. It's like Ellen Ripley X6 including her dying and coming back. That element of fear that gives men wings is central to a survival game, but there is no need to go overboard. Losing all your stuff and respawning at your base is punishment enough.

Seriously, anyone having trouble finding the suit in the Aurora. Especially if your playthough is before June or July, you really should restart. You can use the console to give you starter resources. I would suggest using "MADLOOT" (Spawns Survival Knife, Habitat Builder, 3x Battery, 4x Computer Chip, 5x Creepvine Sample, 10x Titanium and 10x Glass.)

But as I mentioned, it's much more balanced and challenging to just vanilla it. Also, you know a lot of the mechanics Within about 6 hours I had a decent base, the Seamoth, Cyclops and the Prawn

You know, you can hook up your nuts to a car battery and pay someone in Yemen to activate it for you over Skype. It's less time consuming and achieves the same result.
A lot of people flip their poo poo over the concept of voluntary bronzemans being no replacement for designated hardcore modes. Which fascinates me because hardcore modes remove the responsibility of the most difficult part of any hardcore style gameplay. Deleting your save file when you die.

I think it's mostly because between the people unironically saying "Because I need it to do it for me. Also, please disable consolein hardcore mode so I can't use it", are people who are honestly more concerned with their cheevos and that other people are suffering just as much as they are.

Then again, these are also generally the sort of people who get super mad that companions don't suffer permadeath in Fallout 4. Despite the fact 90% of your companion deaths are due to the insane physics engine or other stupidity. Within 2 minutes of getting Dogmeat myself for the fist time, he walked between some road cones and physics engined himself into crippled status. But no, people still want their perma death companions even with their habit of clipping through overpass roads and catwalks over and over.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Yeah exactly. The amount of times i would get the message in Fallout New Vegas "Boone has died' because he decided to feck off and try and fight Cazadors with his bare hands. I am all for Iron Man modes and the psychos who love them. But in a game where you can play for 12 hours and a Sea Reaper can glitch out of a landscape feature and eat you would be my definition of hell.

Even though I never played it on such, the X-Com Iron Man mode seems like the best kind. You are less likely to be totally boned with a single glitch (even though it can happen)

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Lonos Oboe posted:

Yeah exactly. The amount of times i would get the message in Fallout New Vegas "Boone has died' because he decided to feck off and try and fight Cazadors with his bare hands. I am all for Iron Man modes and the psychos who love them. But in a game where you can play for 12 hours and a Sea Reaper can glitch out of a landscape feature and eat you would be my definition of hell.

Having actually had this happen while exploring the mountain caves, I agree.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Lonos Oboe posted:

Even though I never played it on such, the X-Com Iron Man mode seems like the best kind. You are less likely to be totally boned with a single glitch (even though it can happen)

Games that include ironman need to be balanced around it at a fundamental level. It sets an extraordinary standard for fairness, balance, and stability and sets a soft limit on how long the game can be.

But it's a very easy feature to add so you see it in every open world survival game no matter how janky.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Haven't checked this out in a couple months. Did they remove the terrain terraforming stuff or whatever feature was giving making the game so resource intensive? My FPS was pretty much unplayable last time I had the game installed.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The terraformer was removed but the terrain can still be destroyed in other ways. There's a patch currently slated for January 24th that will address pop-in which I think will have a bigger effect on FPS issues.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I believe the switchover to static terrain is set for the update that should be coming in a week or so.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
And once that switch over happens I am willing to be that there will be huge changes to landscape (Like the port mid-ship Aurora entry hole being moved a few months back)

So I don't know about anyone else, but I would hold off on playing for a while, because that update will most likely break your save.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Where are diamonds this days? Are they still in basalt? I can't find any basalt for that matter, how deep do you need to go?

Oh and what are luggage bags for?

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 3, 2016

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Where are diamonds this days? Are they still in basalt? I can't find any basalt for that matter, how deep do you need to go?

Oh and what are luggage bags for?

Check out the rocks in the mountains or the grand reef.

The ones that usually drop gold.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Starting to think it might be bugged. Got tons of gold and silver and 0 diamonds.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I think luggage bags are like the coffee machine and lab equipment... just decorative.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

So, uh... been wandering in Experimental for a bit.

Anyone else running into Crabsnake Leviathans? Even across multiple saves, I'm finding about 3 crabsnakes of ridiculous size in the jellyshroom caves. Like, their body is bigger around than the jellyshroom stalk.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Does anybody else have survival knife dissapear every once in a while? I've had 2 knives vanish

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

They wear out, don't they? Though I assume you don't mean that.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Does anybody else have survival knife dissapear every once in a while? I've had 2 knives vanish

Knives have durability. They really need a percentage like items that use batteries.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Definitely getting diamonds from basalt (although in 24 basalt I only got 2 diamonds) and definitely having the survival knife become invisible in my hand. It still works though, I found out you can actually kill, not just drive off, sandsharks and stalkers with determined shanking even if your stabbin' iron is invisible at the time.

There's another glitch, if you have two survival knives the one in your hand will degrade as you use it but will never go below 0% durability and disappear. I kinda like this glitch as if it was a level of abstraction - the game assumes that if you take the trouble to carry a spare knife then you have a spare knife when you need one.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

StrangeAeon posted:

So, uh... been wandering in Experimental for a bit.

Anyone else running into Crabsnake Leviathans? Even across multiple saves, I'm finding about 3 crabsnakes of ridiculous size in the jellyshroom caves. Like, their body is bigger around than the jellyshroom stalk.

No, that sounds amazing. Any screenshots?

I noticed the survival knife glitch too. I think once it's triggered, that knife is unbreakable after. I have had the same hot knife for ages and ages.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Lonos Oboe posted:

No, that sounds amazing. Any screenshots?

I noticed the survival knife glitch too. I think once it's triggered, that knife is unbreakable after. I have had the same hot knife for ages and ages.

Unfortunately I took screenshots with the ingame thing, so I'm not sure I can upload them anywhere. I'll either look around more or just go back. Probably with the Invisible cheat so I can get better shots.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Steam screenshot them?

Manually screenshot them with PRTSCR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

StrangeAeon posted:

Unfortunately I took screenshots with the ingame thing, so I'm not sure I can upload them anywhere. I'll either look around more or just go back. Probably with the Invisible cheat so I can get better shots.

I'm pretty sure in game screenshots are just in a folder somewhere.

Gimme a minute.

Yeah they're under your save slot folder.