Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What good is a company that is so incredibly lovely at managing themselves that they can't even successfully predict what will happen in two weeks?

I mean that seems indescribably incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Aneurexorcyst posted:

Ah, it was grey in the UK...

(also, not actually the worst port...)

Starcraft for n64 was the worst port.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What good is a company that is so incredibly lovely at managing themselves that they can't even successfully predict what will happen in two weeks?

I mean that seems indescribably incompetent.

A company whose project managers should probably never be hired for project management again.

spathi-wa
Sep 8, 2005
hu hu hu ^_^
Lipstick Apathy
tane

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

phosdex posted:

A company whose project managers should probably never be hired for project management again.

Better talk to HR about it.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I played a shitload of Doom on the Atari Jaguar :ohdear:

It was actually a pretty good port, oddly enough.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

so whats the odds of cig managing to limp through 2017? i used to be amazed when anybody gave them another dollar but after the recent bump anything seems possible

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Tokamak posted:

Production schedule diff checker:
https://www.diffchecker.com/A9nozxJ8

Previous:
https://www.diffchecker.com/ucNCNlQy

-----

The more interesting thing is if you compare the latest version with the first:
https://www.diffchecker.com/fmvSgRFW

Almost everything is delayed by two weeks - optimistic estimates, pessemistic estimates... Two weeks later and they are still investigating the prop serialisation code. One section was completed but has gone back for a rework (network sync [lol]).

In two weeks they have completed: art dressings for the FPS map, prop dressings for ships, pick up icons for arena commander, the remaining camera bugs, gamerules refactor (this one seems substantial) and telling QA how to access the new PU missions for testing. On the otherhand you have Turbulent (leaderboards) and the music composer submitting their contributions on time.

They are also using the previous estimate, and not the original. So you get: ETA is 9th December (delayed from 2nd December). But the original states: ETA is 18th November. Turning a three week delay into one week.

They gave us a schedule to deliver the patch in roughly four weeks. In two weeks almost everything has been delayed by two week, and the release was pushed back one week. Given that the estimates converged by around 50% over 50% of the time frame, we can probably expect at least another weeks delay. This would put it around 23rd of december, aka january 2017.

2.6 was a sure lock for 2016, until it wasn't.

RIP BIND CULLING
yeah I'm pretty sure we'll see a broken as hell invite only ptu 2.6 around the anniversary livestream

a real, live version of this poo poo ain't hitting until 2017

3.0 with all included features is a year+ from when 2.6 drops out and will probably bear the beta/release moniker

the good news is we'll all get to see the amazing sq42 before then

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

the good news is we'll all get to see the amazing sq42 before then
actually wait
  • sqlude is the only planned sq42 release; everything else is delayed indefinitely
  • the rest of the chapters depend on the success of sqlude and additional ship sales
  • 2.6, then sqlude, then 3.0
  • all that subscriber nonsense I posted about awhile back is still being discussed, ie certain classes, missions, skins, weapons locked behind sub

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I will say this though, I'm 100% certain they will put out these games

I'm also 100% certain they gonna be p bad

but hey, I'm sure some people will love them

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
btw top execs are going to pay themselves out over $1m in bonuses this xmas

happy holidays

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TheAgent posted:

I will say this though, I'm 100% certain they will put out these games

I'm also 100% certain they gonna be p bad

but hey, I'm sure some people will love them

So basically, one day, SC will be the Bad Rats of that year's Steam thread gift train? How horrid.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Agent is 3.0 a total rebuild separate branch deal? Like the 2.0 PU has just been a total sideshow distraction right? And this is the real game that's been secretly worked on for 1836 months?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Solarin posted:

Agent is 3.0 a total rebuild separate branch deal? Like the 2.0 PU has just been a total sideshow distraction right? And this is the real game that's been secretly worked on for 1836 months?
2.0/3.0 are basically POC/early WIP builds

the real tech they are trying to cram in there won't really be ready until 4.0

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

TheAgent posted:

happy holidays

By "top execs" do you mean Chris Robber, his brother, his wife, and assorted asskissers?

:drat:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I wonder at what point it becomes the MMO that they sold people.

Also what is the funding tracker showing? There's no loving way that figure represents money changing hands

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

TheAgent posted:

all that subscriber nonsense I posted about awhile back is still being discussed, ie certain classes, missions, skins, weapons locked behind sub

"Will never be pay to win!"

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

TheAgent posted:

2.0/3.0 are basically POC/early WIP builds

the real tech they are trying to cram in there won't really be ready until 4.0

lol

real tech? What is this real tech that eludes the general populace? This has got to be good

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

nawledgelambo posted:

lol

real tech? What is this real tech that eludes the general populace? This has got to be good
its when chris roberts uploads himself in SC like the lawnmower man

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

TheAgent posted:

its when chris roberts uploads himself in SC like the lawnmower man

Only in this version he becomes more and more retarded as time goes on, culminating in the singularity of fuckwittery.

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

TheAgent posted:

actually wait
  • sqlude is the only planned sq42 release; everything else is delayed indefinitely
  • the rest of the chapters depend on the success of sqlude and additional ship sales
  • all that subscriber nonsense I posted about awhile back is still being discussed, ie certain classes, missions, skins, weapons locked behind sub

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that sqlude is the end then.

They already promised more than a million copies to people, and we all know what the quality will be like (in animation and script writing alone LOL)

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

TheAgent posted:

happy holidays

Performance bonuses?

Non deliverable bonuses?

Bogus bonuses?

Money laundering?

Swedish Mafia?

Gizmondo unpaid bonuses?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

bonuses all around, everybody earned it

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Star Citizen gives me a raging bonus.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

is it too late to trade D1E for Marching Powder?

It's never too late.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

quote:

NETWORK – MESSAGE ORDERING
Delayed slightly due to illness
Network Engineering is finishing off current work on message ordering today ready for QA to being testing this on Monday
If these tests from QA don’t show serious issues, the work will be submitted on Monday
ETA is 5th December (was 28th November)
NETWORK – SERIALIZED VARIABLE (STRETCH GOAL)
Delayed slightly due to illness
ETA is 9th December (delayed from 8th December)
that whole thing made me lol

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

TheAgent posted:

actually wait

SQ42Prelude had what, about 10 hours of gameplay I think you mentioned? How can they possibly think......oh, nevermind.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

like how the gently caress are you testing star marine when the loving network code isn't in and functioning

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Star Citizen: Delayed slightly due to illness

Also, who in their right mind would plan to release a product (sqlude) before work is finished on fundamental game code (3.0)?

It's like launching a cruise liner from a dock and expecting it to make a maiden voyage before the engineers have actually made the hull.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 3, 2016

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015
I want some squaaludes, hook me up Agent (STRETCH GOAL)

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tarquinn posted:

:argh: B4tBG for cheating us out of page 6666.

https://i.imgur.com/urzLhrC.mp4

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

I hope there's going to be a fastening your safety belt minigame.

That gets much more difficult in multi-crew ships.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

alf_pogs posted:

so whats the odds of cig managing to limp through 2017? i used to be amazed when anybody gave them another dollar but after the recent bump anything seems possible

When you think about it development didn't really start until 2016.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

When you think about it development didn't really start until 2016.

Love how they're now using the "backers wanted increased scope" for an excuse for SQ42.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

TheAgent posted:

"delayed due to illness" is barely a viable excuse for my 12-man enterprise software team. literally cannot imagine how a company with millions and 300+ employees can use it

you'd think that out of all departments, "network engineering" of an MMO would be the most protected as far as resources go

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Sunswipe posted:

I hope there's going to be a fastening your safety belt minigame.

Nice beltdown?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
also if my experience with QA and any features related to network ordering are any indication:

this isn't going to sniff prod before Christmas

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

TheAgent posted:

like how the gently caress are you testing star marine when the loving network code isn't in and functioning

CryEngine 3's netcode could support up to 32 players out of the box, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

They've been silently discounting the reality of the ships by continually mentioning that they're adjusting the "flight model" although not a single ship in the game is actually using flight physics. It is as you said, a noclip zero-grav, with the numbers continually tweaked to make it feel like flight without any actual flight physics calculations. Occasionally a developer will pipe up about adjusting "mass" then gently caress off for 3 months to write a script that kills you if you hit <<USE>> in an airlock while you're not wearing pants.

CIG can't simulate a vacuum in their space game. CIG is so incompetent they can't even develop "nothing" properly.

How do you respond to the usual sperg retort here about a ship flying wonky if it loses some of the lateral thrusters or what not? This what makes shillizens feel all warm and fuzzy inside and says it proves the fidelity of the accurate individual thruster modelling and calculations etc when discussing these things.

e: bunnies pics

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 3, 2016