Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The main character from Prototype 2 is not as comically angry as I thought. This is bad. What's worse it that the drat game randomly crashes like nobodies business after playing it for a little while. It's kinda crazy considering that my PC isn't high end but it sure has handled heavier games than this and there were like, zero problems I remember with the PS3 version dammit.

MisterBibs posted:

It's Fallout, and it needs to have Super Mutants loving about left-and-right to be worth its salt. No Super Mutants being active and around drags down a Fallout game, for me. If you're setting a Fallout game somewhere where Super Mutants are gone, your setting drags a Fallout game down, and you should step back and wonder if you're forgetting that the Scouring Of The Shire was cut from the movies for good reasons.
Like, I'm vaguely entertained with your antics but it's really drat telling that you pick an example of perhaps the most human and emotional part (and therefore best) of LOTR to denigrate as you're either operating on some level of heretofore undiscovered level of autism, even for SA or are playing a trolling robot very convincingly.

Either way, keep on trucking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So that's where that username comes from.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

You're right. The earlier games didn't have a Super Mutant who took you to a fellow Super Mutant named Lou Tennant, or was supposedly on guard at Mariposa who wasn't hostile to you because he was too busy guarding the supply closet, or bemoaning that he had no 'furries to mootate' for his 'magic'.

You mean the parts that were both funny, and showed there were super mutants that were still intellegent and ones that had went all MisterBibs after being turned, which is why the Master was so interested in Vault 13? (For those who never played the first one, Vault 13 had never been exposed to the radiation of the wastes and kept their intellegence after being mutated)

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
What the gently caress did Super Mutants have to do with the plots of Fallouts 3 and 4 anyway? They were just targets for the Brotherhood to shoot at before the Enclave showed up in 3 and in 4 they were discarded Institute experiments and aside from Vergil had no relevance to anything other than ticking a box.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

MisterBibs posted:

You're right. The earlier games didn't have a Super Mutant who took you to a fellow Super Mutant named Lou Tennant, or was supposedly on guard at Mariposa who wasn't hostile to you because he was too busy guarding the supply closet, or bemoaning that he had no 'furries to mootate' for his 'magic'.

Yeah, it's almost as though those Supermutants were actual people instead of the hivemind killmonsters from Fallouts 3 and 4.

quote:

And I don't care if the idea would've ruined the end of F1. Story before continuity, especially with an old game your audience wouldn't remember anyway. But like someone said, it's just fan fiction now (can't fix NV now, you can just do what Bethesda did and just quietly ignore it moving), and no point discussing it retroactively. Especially since it's not really the point of the thread. Sorry for the digression.

My point is that the story you want is complete and utter poo poo. It's not poo poo because it fucks with Fallout's ending, it's poo poo because the antagonizing faction lacks any sort of depth whatsoever.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
There is no loving way Bibs is this stupid. He's like... This is some next level poo poo. He's calling NV fanfic right before he talks about how wonderful his own dumb headcanon is. Like, I legit think this is proof he's been trolling all along.

Furthermore, if he isn't trolling he's a loving idiot and not worth talking to.

THING DRAGGING A GAME DOWN: Any game where I can't lock the minimap/map to only face one direction. I just can't read a map for poo poo if it rotates around my camera view; I have a way easier time if north is always up on the map. It's annoyingly common for games to not give the option though.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jukebox Hero posted:

There is no loving way Bibs is this stupid. He's like... This is some next level poo poo. He's calling NV fanfic right before he talks about how wonderful his own dumb headcanon is. Like, I legit think this is proof he's been trolling all along.

This is the thread for where you point out things that drag a game down for you, right? It's okay that they don't drag the game down for you, and I'm glad for you. Me? I'm just glad that the bulk of the things that drag down the modern Fallout series were contained to one sidequel made by the folks who didn't get the memo on what fun-for-me Fallout is.

Inco posted:

Yeah, it's almost as though those Supermutants were actual people instead of the hivemind killmonsters from Fallouts 3 and 4.

Eh, they were always stupid hivemind killmonsters you killed en masse.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 08:55 on Dec 3, 2016

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
PYF Dumb Supermutant Fanfic

Make them big and violent and MAKE SURE THEY'RE JUST STUPID ORCS or misterbibs will make a grumpy dumpy :(

Thing dragging down Condemned 2: The trigger for the last upgrade you get is mashing both triggers afaik; I'm pretty sure that to do it you need to attack at least once, so I always accidentally waste a few bullets if I don't drop my gun. I'm pretty sure I'm just doing it wrong, the inputs in this game are kinda hosed up.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

MisterBibs posted:

This is demonstrably false. Granted, you could go through the games killing every NPC you see, but there's a good deal of non-hostile Supermutants, including half the population of an entire town.

Inco has a new favorite as of 09:20 on Dec 3, 2016

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Morrowind: The guy at the census office in the beginning of the game say "The letter mentions you were born under a certain sign. And what would that be?" and then you pick your sign as part of the character creation. What the gently caress did the person actually write in the letter? "They were born under a certain sign: ????"?

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Morrowind: The guy at the census office in the beginning of the game say "The letter mentions you were born under a certain sign. And what would that be?" and then you pick your sign as part of the character creation. What the gently caress did the person actually write in the letter? "They were born under a certain sign: ????"?

I always thought of that as them checking that you were the right prisoner; if you weren't, you'd say the wrong sign and be sent to wherever Jiub was going.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I guess that makes sense. I never thought of it as like a security question.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah that's way more interesting and engaging than a society of immortal, infertile philosopher-giants whose perspective is forever tinted with the knowledge that they are the dying remnants of a failed attempt to save the world.

Just make 'em orkz, done, problem fuckin' solved

E: gently caress, I just realised there's a game literally only about killing stupid hivemind killmonsters en masse that is more interesting and engaging than what MisterBibs wants in his Fallout games.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 09:45 on Dec 3, 2016

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Stardew valley. I get there's a mod for it, but I can never find where any of the townspeople are. If they're not in their shop/house I'm completely boned.

Didn't realise I was supoosed to make friends with people either, I just want to chill out and farm a small plot of cauliflowers, making meager amounts of money :(

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Jukebox Hero posted:

Thing dragging down Condemned 2: The trigger for the last upgrade you get is mashing both triggers afaik; I'm pretty sure that to do it you need to attack at least once, so I always accidentally waste a few bullets if I don't drop my gun. I'm pretty sure I'm just doing it wrong, the inputs in this game are kinda hosed up.

I've not played that one, but other games have that problem too, where some actions are fiddly to do for no particular reason. I find it hard to kick in Dark Souls without accidentally attacking, and the lunge attack in Ys games is horrendous to actually do.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

Wait, they are ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL TO A FALLOUT STORY BEING FALLOUT, but also just dumb stupid killmonsters that you massacre?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

ilmucche posted:

Stardew valley. I get there's a mod for it, but I can never find where any of the townspeople are. If they're not in their shop/house I'm completely boned.

Didn't realise I was supoosed to make friends with people either, I just want to chill out and farm a small plot of cauliflowers, making meager amounts of money :(

The mod to show people on the map is the one mod I consider absolutely necessary.

On your other point, you don't have to do anything you don't want to. If you want to be a total hermit, go ahead! You don't lose a whole lot by not befriending people, though there are a lot of cooking recipes you need to reach certain heart levels to unlock.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ilmucche posted:

Befriending villagers gets you two things: random gifts in the mail (often of items you don't need, like 50x stone or a mushroom you can find in the cave) and recipes. The recipes are nice, but not essential.

A thing to keep in mind is that if you talk to a villager, it's a +20 point boost towards their friendship, and a -2 point loss if you don't talk to them, and gift giving is at least +20 if they like it, with way more on birthdays - so it's pretty easy to befriend them without turning it into a chore. Just talking to people you see while doing your chores often gets them maxed out before you know it. (And once they're maxed they never lose points if you don't talk to them, so you can ignore everyone in town forever once they love you.)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Wait, they are ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL TO A FALLOUT STORY BEING FALLOUT, but also just dumb stupid killmonsters that you massacre?

Yeah? Two core traits of Fallout Super Mutants, after all. Gotta be around, gotta be dumb stupid killmonsters that you put down like the dumb stupid killmonsters they are.

It's not hard. After all, the game before and after the one we're talking about did Super Mutants right. That New Vegas didn't bother drags it down for me. I'm not sure how much clearer I can make it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah? Two core traits of Fallout Super Mutants, after all. Gotta be around, gotta be dumb stupid killmonsters that you put down like the dumb stupid killmonsters they are.

It's not hard. After all, the game before and after the one we're talking about did Super Mutants right. That New Vegas didn't bother drags it down for me. I'm not sure how much clearer I can make it.

Considering you referenced their Fallout 1 and 2 appearances, and then were mad they weren't that way, but also wanted them to be dumb killmonsters, which is not how they were portrayed in those games, a lot loving clearer?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Considering you referenced their Fallout 1 and 2 appearances, and then were mad they weren't that way, but also wanted them to be dumb killmonsters, which is not how they were portrayed in those games, a lot loving clearer?

If you're arguing that 1 and 2 didn't depict the majority of Super Mutants as dumb killmonsters, there's no point in continuing the conversation because their perspective of the older games is misremembered at best, or bad-faith intentionally lying at worst.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

What you're saying is you felt bad about how New Vegas' random murdermooks were all tied to local factions and had their own motivations and justifications?

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
This is an irrational one, since I get the point behind it, but the Drifter's fighting style in Hyper Light Drifter would be much less irritating if he didn't skid uselessly for a full second on a poorly-timed flash-step. I can deal with artificially slowed flash-step interval times, or even losing that flash-step entirely for a few seconds (like if you overdo it using the Attack+Dash maneuver too many times).

But when a flock of seagulls are attacking you, while the floor explodes beneath you for double HP, and a heat-seeking missile is forcing you to keep moving during a boss battle, finding yourself skidding across said exploding floor just feels like the whipped cream on a poo poo sundae.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So part of The Division's 1.4 update was to improve enemy AI. For the most part this has been fantastic - they use cover more intelligently, they flank with one another and use grenades in ways that flush players out, rather than just throwing them for the sheer hell of it. Unfortunately this has a horrific side effect for the marksman class enemies - they will keep their distance for obvious reasons and hide behind allies, but if there aren't any allies they apparently flip their poo poo and keep running away. Like, constantly. Finishing a combat encounter with them is like something of a goddamn Benny Hill sketch.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Somfin posted:

What you're saying is you felt bad about how New Vegas' random murdermooks were all tied to local factions and had their own motivations and justifications?

No, my issue primarily was that the local factions motivations and justifications didn't matter to me at all. I get to Vegas, and I don't have any interest or attachment to the players in the setting, much less who I want to give the city to. I didn't care thematically, and compared to Super Mutants or Enclave, I just can't compare their little concerns with the wider-scale concerns of 1, 2, and 3. That lack of compelling interest drags New Vegas down for me.

It's sort of like the last season or two of Babylon 5. After Vorlons and Shadows and the fate of the galaxy at stake, I'm changing the channel when some random dictator running Earth becomes the topic of the episode.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 12:12 on Dec 3, 2016

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Misterbibs changes his dumbass mind about what his argument is every time he posts, and has done this whole time, because he is a moron. There's no point even trying to work out what he's taking about.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

No, my issue primarily was that the local factions motivations and justifications didn't matter to me at all. I get to Vegas, and I don't have any interest or attachment to the players in the setting, much less who I want to give the city to. I didn't care thematically, and compared to Super Mutants or Enclave, I just can't compare their little concerns with the wider-scale concerns of 1, 2, and 3. That lack of compelling interest drags New Vegas down for me.

It's sort of like the last season or two of Babylon 5. After Vorlons and Shadows and the fate of the galaxy at stake, I'm changing the channel when some random dictator running Earth becomes the topic of the episode.

Wow, so unless you're literally saving the world from evil (evil here represented by a race of oversized muscular stupid people with a skin tone that isn't yours) you can't bring yourself to care? You are literally asking for the plots to be made childishly huge rather than focusing on actual people. It's kind of amazing. This is what TVTropes exposure does to people. Lord knows I took a while to get over it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Somfin posted:

Wow, so unless you're literally saving the world from evil (evil here represented by a race of oversized muscular stupid people with a skin tone that isn't yours) you can't bring yourself to care?

Not always. After all, after the black hole of motivation in NV, F4 came out and provided enough motivation just from stepping out of the Vault to supply me til I beat the game. But like I said before, talking about the ways that 4 so successfully gave me (as a player) motivation would be the antithesis of this thread.

I legit think it's cool that you liked the more mundane side story of NV. I'm genuinely glad for it. It didn't work for me. What more appropriate thread to list the ways it didn't work than a thread that specifically exists to list the ways it failed?

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 12:35 on Dec 3, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Alhazred posted:

I got lucky and hit the real Al Mualim instead of his illusions right away.

If you used eagle vision it revealed the real one. That is probably one of those things from the original Assassin's Creed that makes people go "what". You know, beyond the ending itself.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
So Fallout games need super mutants, but ONLY if the super mutants are boring cardboard cutouts that are basically just orcs with the serial numbers filed off. Even in Fallout 1 they weren't anywhere near as boring and generic random encounter enemies as they were in 3 and 4.

god drat i can really see how misterbibs is the dude who choked on a hotdog twice

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

MisterBibs posted:

the black hole of motivation in NV

, F4 came out and provided enough motivation

You're entitled to your dumbass opinion. I still think you're trolling but if you want to pretend to actually believe this that's just great.

Thing dragging games down: The loving button mashing in Killer Is Dead. There's one boss fight where you have to mash attack to win a sword QTE and kill the boss. I can. Not. Reliably do it. After almost busting a controller I finally beat it.

Then I did the rematch with him that you have to do to get to the ending.

Three tries later I still haven't managed to go back and try again.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
guys, enough.

the bombs dropped and we're still fighting.

I brought up the NV derail and it's been done for several pages now.

bibs has said it doesn't appeal to him ,o it doesn't appeal to him.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
This is the greatest series of posts because it's a combination of goons' undying love for fallout new vegas, a mediocre game, and goons' undying hatred for mrbibs, an okay poster

it's okay for him to find something dragging the game down in your favourite game guys, it's the thread for it! :)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Both New Vegas and MisterBibs are bad. Namaste.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mass Effect 3 got a lot of hate because it forced Shepard to act sad over some stupid kid dying, and the kid keeps showing in visions in a cheap attempt at drama. The thing is Shepard has already lost an ally way back in the first game, and that character's death SHOULD weigh on Shepard's mind, This character of course being Jenkins.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i spent like 45 minutes going through nexusmods and i can confirm there is NOT a pooping mod for fallout 4 :smith:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Possibly? In Morrowind lore being born under the influence of a constellation is actually significant, and that might have been in the dude's letter.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Both New Vegas and MisterBibs are bad. Namaste.

Actually NV is pretty good and Misterbibs is an okay guy that happens to not like it. His reasons for not liking it are weird as hell, but whatever, that's his problem.

Content: I didn't care about Overwatch much until I played over that free weekend a couple weeks ago and it was pretty fun. I almost bought it too, but funds were a little tight just then and I couldn't justify the $35 they wanted. Little did I realize that it was on sale that weekend. I go to pick it up yesterday and now it's $60. It's a cool and fun game that I'd probably play a bunch, but gently caress that. Hopefully it'll go on sale again for Christmas.

I'll do that, thanks.
VVVVVVVV

oh dope has a new favorite as of 16:47 on Dec 3, 2016

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

oh dope posted:

Actually NV is pretty good and Misterbibs is an okay guy that happens to not like it. His reasons for not liking it are weird as hell, but whatever, that's his problem.

Content: I didn't care about Overwatch much until I played over that free weekend a couple weeks ago and it was pretty fun. I almost bought it too, but funds were a little tight just then and I couldn't justify the $35 they wanted. Little did I realize that it was on sale that weekend. I go to pick it up yesterday and now it's $60. It's a cool and fun game that I'd probably play a bunch, but gently caress that. Hopefully it'll go on sale again for Christmas.

Check to make sure that it isn't the origin edition they are trying to flog. The "normal" edition is hidden slightly and contains the same things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Mass Effect 3 got a lot of hate because it forced Shepard to act sad over some stupid kid dying, and the kid keeps showing in visions in a cheap attempt at drama. The thing is Shepard has already lost an ally way back in the first game, and that character's death SHOULD weigh on Shepard's mind, This character of course being Jenkins.

Yeah the kids angle was kinda corny, but Jenkins, (who was in over his head, poor guy), and any other allies that died had actually signed up for dangerous poo poo. Mass Effect 2's main mission is known by all your squad mates to be a suicide mission.

But I understand, Shepard had seen hundreds, if not thousands, of innocent people die before. Hell, he himself killed how many innocent Batarians? Why should some random kid carry more weight than anyone else?