Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Bicyclops posted:

Rewatching this show, there's one thing that really has surprised me about it: for a show that's built around making snide remarks about old, cheesy movies, it's almost entirely devoid of cynicism. There's kind of a boldness to the whole thing that isn't edgy. The invention exchanges with Joel are basically magic tricks your goofy uncle might do ("Wow! How'd he make the milk disappear! Look, he split his head from his body!"), there are corny, running gag catchphrases, it has homemade puppets in literal pageant sketch comedy, and the entire set looks like a fun, high school play craft project. They read letters from kids and show the drawings. Even for the early 90s, there's a kind of genuine love for dorky, square dad humor that sets it apart from most things.

This is the number one thing I'm worried about the reboot not getting, along with its loose slacker jazziness that is hard to put into words. It's the product of a huge, sustained wave of geek hype and will be handled by Professional Comedy Writers, yet it needs to not be ceremonious or up its own rear end AT ALL or else it's just doing exactly what every other bad-movie program out there does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I kinda see where the imaginary rift between mike and joel started. The scifi channel overview to mst3k is a hack job.
https://youtu.be/E7yqRolAlwY
Turns Joel into the daily shows craig killborn.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

The Time Dissolver posted:

This is the number one thing I'm worried about the reboot not getting, along with its loose slacker jazziness that is hard to put into words. It's the product of a huge, sustained wave of geek hype and will be handled by Professional Comedy Writers, yet it needs to not be ceremonious or up its own rear end AT ALL or else it's just doing exactly what every other bad-movie program out there does.
Also, Jonah Ray's comedy is pretty cynical and snarky. But I think it'll be fine.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Time Dissolver posted:

Felicia Day has always struck me as a pretty good match for it, honestly, because whatever else you have to say about her, her humor is awkward and genuine, sometimes painfully so. Less so Patton Oswald and the Daily Show writers, but I think they'll get a handle on it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Felicia Day has always struck me as a pretty good match for it, honestly, because whatever else you have to say about her, her humor is awkward and genuine, sometimes painfully so. Less so Patton Oswald and the Daily Show writers, but I think they'll get a handle on it.

Honestly I had never heard of her before she got involved in the revival, but she seems to have a very Mike-esque energy about her persona. I was a little surprised to see that she's playing a character that's so different from how she appears everywhere else.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Really, the main writing thing I'll miss is the constant midwest references, enough of my pop culture references LA life as is. I have no fear that Elliot Kalan will do a good job, because the Flophouse is amazing.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Bicyclops posted:

If you're worried about Elliott Kalan because of the Daily Show, I implore you to give the Flop House a shot. He is very, very silly.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

TL posted:

If you're worried about Elliott Kalan because of the Daily Show, I implore you to give the Flop House a shot. He is very, very silly.

At the very least, we won't lack for songs.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Bicyclops posted:

You can definitely see why it was canceled as Comedy Central evolved and found an identity more centered around stuff like The Daily Show (and why, despite definitely having most of my favorite episodes, the show was never a great fit for the Sci Fi Channel), but Netflix might just be the vehicle for it. It's hard to tell, though. It's not like kids can just come across it flipping channels, and I feel like middle school age is the way to get hooked on the show. It might just be us old fans enjoying a season or two of reliving it.

As someone who was only 4 when the last episode of MST3K aired on television, I can tell you that MST3K is popular even in my generation (among the nerdy crowd). Honestly, MST3K is pretty well ingrained in nerd culture now. And Netflix is where people go to find stuff nowadays. Kids don't watch much cable television anymore. I don't think lack of popularity will be a problem.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Did they send that as an email? I never got that message.

That does suck. I have the original triple decker DVD so I guess I'll be canceling.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ballz posted:

Did they send that as an email? I never got that message.

That does suck. I have the original triple decker DVD so I guess I'll be canceling.

Yeah, I got it this morning.

Shout has updated their product page to reflect this.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 3, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

Honestly I had never heard of her before she got involved in the revival, but she seems to have a very Mike-esque energy about her persona. I was a little surprised to see that she's playing a character that's so different from how she appears everywhere else.

I think Kinga's main gag is going to be that she's a socially awkward dork that compensates by putting on a tryhard professional/sexually aggressive act. So probably a lot of flirting with Jonah and berating the bots only for New Frank to talk about her new Supernatural fanfic getting tons of views or something.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Gaz-L posted:

I think Kinga's main gag is going to be that she's a socially awkward dork that compensates by putting on a tryhard professional/sexually aggressive act. So probably a lot of flirting with Jonah and berating the bots only for New Frank to talk about her new Supernatural fanfic getting tons of views or something.

what?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Based on A) the little bit we saw during the Kickstarter, B)the type of comedy Day likes playing and C) the previous Forresters being basically dork pretending to be super-great evil villains.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MegaZeroX posted:

As someone who was only 4 when the last episode of MST3K aired on television, I can tell you that MST3K is popular even in my generation (among the nerdy crowd). Honestly, MST3K is pretty well ingrained in nerd culture now. And Netflix is where people go to find stuff nowadays. Kids don't watch much cable television anymore. I don't think lack of popularity will be a problem.

I guess it is kind of a unique thing that everybody can identify with, in some ways. I was thinking about how it just made sense to me and I realized that my grandmother got us into it. She'd show us some old movie like Niagara with excitement she was passing it on and then she'd say things like "Oh, this man. I'd like to slap him in his face." or "Oh for goodness sake, can you believe anyone thought he could act?" during lulls in the dialogue. That there's a couple o' guys doing a puppet show and capturing that is pretty neat.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I watch Svengoolie pretty often and I think it's the sincerity that sells these sorts of things. The awareness that you're doing something dorky while neither apologizing for it nor trying to make it "ironic" by hamming it up or anything.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DoombatINC posted:

Mitchell might be the high water mark for all-around unpleasant people. The most likable characters are a skittish drug mule grandma that's only in one scene and an annoying neighborhood boy that's also only in one scene. That's some slim pickings, even for MST3K.

Most likeable: Johnny Mathis.

Least likeable: Benton the bodyguard who can't even get soup right.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm pretty sure there isn't a single likable character in Wild Rebels.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

kiimo posted:

Most likeable: Johnny Mathis.

Are we sure that he isn't Al Noga?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Bicyclops posted:

for a show that's built around making snide remarks about old, cheesy movies, it's almost entirely devoid of cynicism.

I always chalked that up to the show being from Minnesota, which is something that will be hard to bottle-up for the remake.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's hard to picture any sort of Hollywood type making the sketch "Rex Dart, Eskimo Spy," anymore, which just sort of caught me by surprise and made me laugh until my bird flew over to see what was wrong.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Where does Coily fit into god's plan?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I was worried that Cave Dwellers wouldn't hold up after all these years, but that sequence at the end where they run through the continuity errors is probably the best non-Rex Dart host segment so far.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

MrSlam posted:

Where does Coily fit into god's plan?

So, thought you could bring about the apocalypse without springs, didja?!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Will the old eps be available for purchase?

So re-replying to this post because Joel actually explained how to get the KTMA episodes if you didn't back the Kickstarter. Basically you go to https://mst3k.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders/68623 and the $40 buy in gets you a bunch of stuff and the lost episodes.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

What are the other episodes included?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

muscles like this! posted:

So re-replying to this post because Joel actually explained how to get the KTMA episodes if you didn't back the Kickstarter. Basically you go to https://mst3k.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders/68623 and the $40 buy in gets you a bunch of stuff and the lost episodes.

Awesome. Thanks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

egon_beeblebrox posted:

What are the other episodes included?

On that level, The Robot vs The Aztec Mummy, Manos, Final Justice, Master Ninja I and Alien from LA. You also get the first episode of the new season as a download (when it comes out.)

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of MST-movies that are actually pretty watchable, I'd mention The Girl in Lovers Lane. I found it easy to watch, and while the ending is a huge downer, the fact that it actually managed to make me sad and care about some of the characters make it an OK film in my books.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I'm almost finished with my complete re-watch and last night was Squirm.

That was filmed not far from where I live (Savannah) and the bots were right, nobody is that Southern. You'd have to go deep in the South to find accents like that.

And, I have to admit, I found the weird sister oddly attractive.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mister Kingdom posted:

sister oddly attractive.

Wow way to push back against southern stereotypes. :laugh:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Wow way to push back against southern stereotypes. :laugh:

Well, she's not MY sister.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mother, that's private!

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm almost finished with my complete re-watch and last night was Squirm.

Well, uh, okay.

(squirms)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I am dying of laughter.

I was rewatching Pod People, which I had remembered being one of my favorites, and was finding it kind of thoroughly middling. I realized that it just aired when I was bedridden in the second grade with an illness that very well could have killed me, and I was making my Mom watch it. She was laughing up a storm, and I think I was mostly doing that little kid thing where you only half get why things are funny because of the way adults are laughing at them.

But then they got to the stupid, utterly goofy host segment with everything flying around because of "Trumpy" and something about it just took me by surprise. I can't stop laughing. Something about it just caught me off guard.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The riffing there still has a casual, "friends joking around" atmosphere which is interesting- a lot of the jokes are corny, but "Bambi, humans are basically good!" is amazing.

The host segments are perfect.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Bicyclops posted:

But then they got to the stupid, utterly goofy host segment with everything flying around because of "Trumpy" and something about it just took me by surprise. I can't stop laughing. Something about it just caught me off guard.

I just saw Pod People for the first time during the Turkey Day marathon last month, and that might be my favorite host segment. "I can't bring him down, I don't know how it works!" *silly dance*

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

I don't know if anyone else has done it this way, but I've been rewatching by alternating between Joel and Mike episodes.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I put together a bigass guide to watching MST3K the official way. Basically a big list of every episode and where they're legally available.

Strangely, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians and Prince of Space aren't available anywhere right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

I put together a bigass guide to watching MST3K the official way. Basically a big list of every episode and where they're legally available.

Strangely, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians and Prince of Space aren't available anywhere right now.

Did you not include YouTube in that? Because they're both the top results.