Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

OK so I get that but after I wipe my thing down wiht a paper towel after cooking on it each time, do I also just dab some oil in there and leave the oil on or do I have to heat it up again?

I don't oil mine after cooking/cleaning, but it is dry here and i never had any issues with rust. If you do need to add a little oil afterwards because of cooking. Heating it up and wiping it out will create a thinner layer and add seasoning to your pan. You could also just wipe a little oil in it and put it away but may attract more dust or gunk into the pan. It will be effective for combating any rust though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

OK so a few things more to convince me about a cast iron, what is good cast iron to get, I keep hearing that pebbled surfaces suck but it seems like that's all I can find.

Also what kind of oil should I use to season it?

Also how high of a heat should I bring my cast iron to to sear, due to still living in an apartment so I only have an electric stove top.

Is there a recommended cast iron on amazon I can grab?

Ebay Griswold.

Something like this will literally last forever. You might need to clean/scour it at first but they are great old school cast iron.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Griswold-Cast-Iron-8-Skillet-Pan-Wall-Art-Man-Cave-Hardware-/401233649190?hash=item5d6b639e26:g:vpwAAOSwo4pYO4pt

e: This one actually looks a little bit better.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Griswold-8-...%3D401233649190

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 3, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
What Nabokoffin said. Mine's been on the stove or hanging from the baker's rack for about 3 years with little more than a paper towel wipe after use. Just get one and see how it works for you. If you're in a damp climate and it starts rusting, it's trivial to scrub it down and start over.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
gently caress it Imma go ham. Turns out I had an old lodge cast iron buried deep in a cabinet but its a bit gross looking. Going to completely re-season it with flaxseed. From zero effort to a poo poo ton in no time.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

gently caress it Imma go ham. Turns out I had an old lodge cast iron buried deep in a cabinet but its a bit gross looking. Going to completely re-season it with flaxseed. From zero effort to a poo poo ton in no time.

Good on ya. If it's really grungy, there are tons of articles on the web for reconditioning cast iron. Bartender's Friend is some sort of solvent/cleaning product that people seem to like. Get it down to bare metal, do an an initial seasoning, then just cook with it. The more you cook, the more seasoned it gets.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Let's see a photo of your cast-iron. Maybe it doesn't need to be stripped.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Also, the best seasoning is really time and persistence. Flax has awesome results at first but with continued use it seems to fall apart pretty easily, so when seasoning bare cast iron I'd start with flax and then maintain with vegetable oil. If your cast iron isn't in bad shape I'd just keep the seasoning that's there, skip the flaxseed altogether and go with vegetable oil to build on what's already there. And just keep cooking, and cooking, and cooking.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shortening best seasoning

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just cook bacon in it every day for like a month.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
See this is what drives me nuts, everyone has strong but different opinions on what to do. Imma just stick with flax seed to coat moving forward after I figure out if reseasoning is worht it at all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

For most of the time people have been using cast iron, the way to maintain it was to just use it. Your great grandparents didn't keep flaxseed oil in the icebox or use an angle grinder. They just cooked every day and let nature take its course. Don't overthink it, it's a goddamn hunk of iron, you don't need to baby it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

For most of the time people have been using cast iron, the way to maintain it was to just use it. Your great grandparents didn't keep flaxseed oil in the icebox or use an angle grinder. They just cooked every day and let nature take its course. Don't overthink it, it's a goddamn hunk of iron, you don't need to baby it.

I'll probably just reseason it with flax then just cook with it and not worry about it.

If I'm searing some chicken breasts what kind of oil should I use in the cast iron? How long should I leave it on the stove before searing and should I put oil in there while it's hearing it just before putting in the chicken?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Subjunctive posted:

This

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

I'll probably just reseason it with flax then just cook with it and not worry about it.

If I'm searing some chicken breasts what kind of oil should I use in the cast iron? How long should I leave it on the stove before searing and should I put oil in there while it's hearing it just before putting in the chicken?

I use butter for almost everything, it's smokey but I like how it comes out. Just put in whatever oil/shortening you want, get it hot as poo poo then dump the chicken in, a minute or less on each side and you're good. I think peanut oil has the highest smoke point if you're concerned about that. You just want to get the pan nice and hot before you put the food in that you're going to be searing. You can really use whatever oil you have laying around. Just try some poo poo, it's a hunk of iron you can't really break or mess it up.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I'm scared of loving poo poo up :smith:

You're all gonna laugh at what this is for.

I make nice nicer-ish ramen. I boil water with an egg in it and throw in real ramen noodles (not the cheap poo poo though sometimes if times are tough), then I throw in some good quality boulean, take out the egg, to de-shell.

Finally once I turn the heat off in the bowl I throw raw chicken in. The water is still hot enough to cook it and it doesn't get cooked too throughly to ruin teh texture, its almost perfect with how thick I cut the chicken.

I've found out though that have a crust on the raw chicken is the best for flavor/texture. So I am going to crust the chicken in my cast iron.

So yes I am being a whiny baby about all of this because I want better ramen. I am full of shame.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

I'm scared of loving poo poo up :smith:

You're all gonna laugh at what this is for.

I make nice nicer-ish ramen. I boil water with an egg in it and throw in real ramen noodles (not the cheap poo poo though sometimes if times are tough), then I throw in some good quality boulean, take out the egg, to de-shell.

Finally once I turn the heat off in the bowl I throw raw chicken in. The water is still hot enough to cook it and it doesn't get cooked too throughly to ruin teh texture, its almost perfect with how thick I cut the chicken.

I've found out though that have a crust on the raw chicken is the best for flavor/texture. So I am going to crust the chicken in my cast iron.

So yes I am being a whiny baby about all of this because I want better ramen. I am full of shame.

The pursuit of an always more perfect dish is the soul of great cooking. So you are doing it right.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
There is absolutely nothing shameful about wanting better ramen

People literally scrub floors for years in Japan just to earn the right to start learning how to make good ramen

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

See this is what drives me nuts, everyone has strong but different opinions on what to do. Imma just stick with flax seed to coat moving forward after I figure out if reseasoning is worht it at all.

That's because it's got a few generations of passed-down "always do this, never do this" lore, and all the scattered tips and advice tend to work because it's pretty hard to mess it up unless you run it through the dishwasher or leave it in the sink, so they all get the confirmation bias treatment. If it has rust or a gummy coating that won't come off, you probably want to scrub it down and re-season it. If that's the case, there isn't any One True Way to re-season, you just put a fat on it that won't smoke or catch fire, and get it hot. Then cook a lot, and the seasoning will improve. If it's really back-of-the-cabinet grimy, you could even scrub it down and not season it, just start cooking, and it'll build up over time.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just saying that it's easier to care for than people tend to think.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Here is the pan, what do you guys think:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm looking on a low res phone, but I think you would just need to steal wool that rust off. I want to say with some vinegar and then immediately season but that ended with disaster for that other goon.

Two years ago I was all about flax seed, but my most recent griddle and carbon pan I just cook in and it works just as well. I'm neither Anal nor prompt with cleanup too.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I wouldn't cook in it as-is, but it's not bad at all. Copper-coil scouring pads are nice because they don't leave behind any little fibers like steel wool, but steel wool will get the job done. Grab some dish gloves, put it in some screaming-hot water, and scrub until the rust is gone, then rinse it really well and put it on a burner until it's hot and fully dry. Then go have a nap and worry about seasoning later. Unless you're in a really humid climate (and it doesn't look like you are or that would be wrecked already), it'll be fine to leave it and do some seasoning/cooking over the weekend, so long as it's dry.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

It is my personal shame that I bought an enameled cast iron skillet from west elm for like $70 a year ago

Looked nice until the first time I cooked with it, then never again :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 3, 2016

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Your other options is to get in there with either steel or copper wool, then if you have a self cleaning oven put it in the oven for a cleaning cycle.

http://foodal.com/kitchen/pots-pots-skillets-guides-reviews/cast-and-carbon/restoring-old-cast-iron-self-cleaning-oven/

It should come out basically bare and just bare iron.

e: Don't burn your house down.

https://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/SelfCleanOven.htm

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 3, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ultimate Mango posted:

This recipe doesn't appear to retrograde the starch, so I think you can still turn these to glue. The texture is also very different from what you think it will be unless you have had them before.

Retro grading the starch requires an initial step at a lower temperature to hydrate the starch, then chill to set/fix the starch, then proceed like chef steps. I used a ricer into a pile of butter, yes these are like half butter, then whipped. Not sure about freezing and it's side effects.

Basically if you aren't planning to retrograde there isn't much benefit to sous vide. Carrots and other veg you can get great texture with and there is good benefit to the technique.

Instead of cooking something sous vide for your second dish, how about compressed melon or something infused with the bag as a way to show technique and creativity?

tunaluna posted:

I've had these at Thomas Keller's restaurant in Vegas and I did not like them. I love classic style mashed potatoes but the texture on these are very different. Try it out though.

My first test run on these turned out middling. I don't know how they're supposed to be but the texture was definitely pretty goopy after I mixed in all the melted butter. The taste was lovely of course, in the way that only something that is literally half butter can be, but of course that isn't the sous vide. So, not a failure (I'd eat this stuff) but not a success either. Time to try retrograding! This is interesting stuff.

So as I understand it, the process would be peel the taters but not chop, an hour in the puddle at like 160F for an hour, then chill, then chop + butter + milk + salt at 194F for 30m, then remove and mash and mix?

After I've come up with something I like I'll try chilling and reheating (turns out I don't actually have to freeze the stuff which will hopefully help) and see how that goes.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 3, 2016

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I just boiled the potatoes normally like a heathen after I did the retrograde and chill step.

Kenji posted a recipe for pommes aligot that might be just what you are looking for. Butter, cheese, smooth texture, much less of a pain in the rear end.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

If I can't get the puree to my satisfaction by the time I need it (about two weeks from now) then I might just go with that. For now though I'm having fun doing things with the puddler, trying new things is awesome

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

So I scrubbed and scrubbed wiht copper and now my cast iron looks like this:

I feel like it looks worse than when I started? Is that about right for a starting point to re-season?

My oven has a self cleaning setting, should I put it in there?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

So I scrubbed and scrubbed wiht copper and now my cast iron looks like this:

I feel like it looks worse than when I started? Is that about right for a starting point to re-season?

My oven has a self cleaning setting, should I put it in there?

I think you can get away with that, cover it in whatever oil you're going to use and bake it for like an hour at 375. Put it on a baking sheet/foil or something, you'll probably get drips.

e: You want to cover the whole pan in oil, not just the cooking surface/area.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 3, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Plinkey posted:

I think you can get away with that, cover it in whatever oil you're going to use and bake it for like an hour at 375. Put it on a baking sheet/foil or something, you'll probably get drips.

e: You want to cover the whole pan in oil, not just the cooking surface/area.

What I'm reading online is saying to cook the pan at 500 degrees for flaxseed

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
So I did something interesting with reseasoning my cast iron: I have an induction stove so I coated the whole inside of my pan with flax, set it on the top and cranked that fucker up to 10. I had a hard season with in 30 minutes.

I tried it on a lark because I hate how God drat long the oven takes and how much the oven stinks for weeks after reseasoning a pan.

The bottom is shinier than I've ever seen it :D

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

What I'm reading online is saying to cook the pan at 500 degrees for flaxseed

Might be I usually used canola oil or Crisco. Sounds high though.

e: According to this that seems really high for flax seed oil

https://jonbarron.org/diet-and-nutrition/healthiest-cooking-oil-chart-smoke-points

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 3, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Does your induction stove make an annoying buzzing noise?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You can use vegetable oil or shortening, you can season at 375°, 425°, 467°, or 500°. It's not an exact science. Just keep cooking in it with oil regularly and it will take care of itself.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I always kick myself for throwing out my portable induction plate when I moved. Be so much easier to sear without setting off alarms if I'd kept that thing, I could just take it out to the porch. (Yes, it's either stupid cold or stupid hot outside, being Vegas, but still, smoke alarms. Can't readily disconnect the fuckin' things either.)

I should buy another one :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 3, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There's a cast iron thread, I suggest continuing the discussion there.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

namaste faggots posted:

No but certain pans will. Cheap plys are the worst. They ping and whine from the expansion.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Plinkey posted:

Might be I usually used canola oil or Crisco. Sounds high though.

e: According to this that seems really high for flax seed oil

https://jonbarron.org/diet-and-nutrition/healthiest-cooking-oil-chart-smoke-points

The point, I think, is to purposely go beyond the smoke point and the char left behind is your "seasoning". Flaxseed oil is used cause its one of the lowest smoke points

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

namaste faggots posted:

The fan on mine emits a really high pitch whine as you increase the temp

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Man I really want an induction stove one day but I can't stand the stupid noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

Ciaphas posted:

I always kick myself for throwing out my portable induction plate when I moved. Be so much easier to sear without setting off alarms if I'd kept that thing, I could just take it out to the porch. (Yes, it's either stupid cold or stupid hot outside, being Vegas, but still, smoke alarms. Can't readily disconnect the fuckin' things either.)

I should buy another one :v:

I set off my smoke alarm probably…95%? less often now that I use one of these as an exhaust fan in the window whenever I sear: http://amzn.to/2gzhfbi

Effectiveness will depend on your apartment/house layout, but I wish I had gotten one way earlier.