Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

MeLKoR posted:

Granted that I'm not a game dev but that's exactly how I'd do it, why gently caress around with rocket science? The problem is that: 1) they are lying about it; 2) they are doing a horrible job of it.

But my fidelity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I'd find the project way more interesting, and you know, actually feasible within a reasonable timeframe if their updates were "we cheated to achieve this, using this (clever) way, and that actually means better performance, or smoother controls or whatever".

I bet part of their development problems come from trying to constantly find a balance between Chris vision of fidelity and complexity with the practical solutions that actually work and should be more than ok for the game.

But you know, if you have to deal with a person in a managerial position yelling "but (last night) I dreamt it this way, make it so!" in your ear, then you end up with modules that don't fit together and planets of 1 terrabyte in size each.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

It's entirely possible to make a space game, but star citizen isn't a space game. It's an over reaching fantasy. What would you be left with if you took away all the impractical elements? Some space ships and some fetch/kill quests. A viable video game like many before it.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

TheLightPurges posted:

Yea I think they'll make it to 2018 in some form. But they have to release something for SQ42 next year and that will be the end of them when they can't hide behind "alpha" anymore. The dream balloon has to pop at some point.

But yea if theres one thing this thread has been perpetually wrong about (me especially) its the willingness of the backers to be poo poo on then spend.

The funny thing is the way the backers point at extremely slow progress then eventually delivering terrible, buggy, hacked together versions of the really easy stuff as if that somehow proves CIG can build all the ~DREAMS~ they've been promised.

No-one ever said they can't build a 6v6 arena shooter, no-one ever said they can't build a shoddy 10v10 FPS game. No-one even said they can't build a tech demo featuring 3 stations with FPS, EVA and ship flying combined.

The bit people say can't be done is the 100 star systems with 1000s of players playing together in the same universe with millions of AI controlled NPCs and hundreds of planets that you can land on and explore every square mile of hand-crafted, procedurally generated landscape complete with unique flora and fauna.

I put this to Lazrin in the last thread but got no response...

quote:

Lazrin, answer me this.

If I tell you I'm going to build a flying car and then proceed to build a chassis, seats, doors, lights and airbags.

How close am I to building that flying car?
How much progress towards my goal have I made?

Is the fact that I've built all the above any indication at all that I can do what I said I would?

Point being it's all very well doing all the easy stuff but if you can never find a solution to make all the ridiculously complex stuff work you're not really making progress at all.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Hi everyone, hope you're all having a fabulous day of screaming at everything and saying how bad you think it is. This post is just a quick reminder for you all to call or visit your parents wherever possible because they love and care about you

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi everyone, hope you're all having a fabulous day of screaming at everything and saying how bad you think it is. This post is just a quick reminder for you all to call or visit your parents wherever possible because they love and care about you

Star Citizen sucks eggs

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheLightPurges posted:

How far do you think the "well you cant judge them on this release they're a rookie dev studio on their first time out" will carry them?

I actually don't think that one will see much use, maybe in a couple bad reviews but the backers mostly use that to defend CIG's business practices and general incompetence, not the game itself

It'll be fun to see if they manage to get sqlude out next year despite their best efforts. I was convinced they'd make it happen this year, at least a couple hours of gameplay with ten hours of cringy mocap cringe. I mean, how loving hard could it be

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheLightPurges posted:

Star Citizen sucks eggs

Smash Mouth joke

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

aleksendr posted:

Real world ? Maybe first release. But if it is not a top of the line game any critics worth his salt will get a poke at the 140m$ dev price.

If by "get a poke at" you mean "will be paid from the 140m coffers to shut up and play nice" you are probably spot on. Advertisement money is a hell of a bribe.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Scruffpuff posted:

Instead of actually modelling flight physics (mass of ship, power of thrusters, direction of thrust and the resulting acceleration and velocity etc.) they're actually doing it in reverse. By default the ship is assumed to be in one piece and therefore has their "default" tweak values for noclipping around. If the ship takes "damage" to a certain thruster, then the ship will fly differently based on that damage state. Example:

State0 (undamaged):
- acceleration:34
- mass:78
- leanleft:0
- leanright:0

State1 (left thruster damaged):
- acceleration:17
- mass:76
- leanleft:10
- leanright:0

This is an oversimplification, but you get the gist of it. The goal is to have as many simple states as possible that make the ship fly differently based on all the combinations of thrusters/systems that can be damaged. There's actually nothing at all wrong with doing it this way from a technical perspective - as long as the game feels right. It's actually rather clever, because it needs basically 0 CPU power to do it this way, instead of complex physics calculations. It also allows them to tweak things quickly and easily on the "ship feel" front without loving around with the entire engine each time.

Of course the real issue isn't how they're doing it - it's that CIG has a pathological need to constantly tell backers that everything in the game is mimicking reality itself in the code - when the truth is that, like every other developer, they use cheats to achieve the desired result.

Source your quotes. My immersion will not be broken.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Wrecked Angle posted:

The bit people say can't be done is the 100 star systems with 1000s of players playing together in the same universe with millions of AI controlled NPCs and hundreds of planets that you can land on and explore every square mile of hand-crafted, procedurally generated landscape complete with unique flora and fauna.

It can be done, possibly, if you had hundreds of servers to run them on and teams to code, monitor, and parallel develop on them .
But not with a wonky engine, cloud data sharing, and a $10k espresso machine.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
The second they said they were doing Cloud was when I knew they had no intention of succeeding. Any MMO worth a gently caress has their own servers they control.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

btw top execs are going to pay themselves out over $1m in bonuses this xmas

happy holidays

That's nuthin'. There are high profile exits (end of year) also in the works that I'm hearing about. 3 confirmed thus far.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

D_Smart posted:

That's nuthin'. There are high profile exits (end of year) also in the works that I'm hearing about. 3 confirmed thus far.

Can't wait for the game-changing blog about it
Guaranteed legal action

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

well 3 people left two weeks ago (as I reported in my july blog)

but they weren't high profile or nuthin

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sure.

The most popular thread I ever wrote: Is CIG's "Credits for Cash" approach bad for the game economy?

The thread that created a stretch goal: Spaceship Modularity Megathread. Unfortunately my original post was deleted, which is a shame because it was probably one of the best things I ever wrote.

Me being a Bad Person to Sandi Gardiner, the Greatest Saleswoman In The World: http://imgur.com/a/BIlWu

We ever get you+me+bar in the same place and the same time, I would be happy to render proper sacrifices to our god together, no?

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

TheAgent posted:

well 3 people left two weeks ago (as I reported in my july blog)

but they weren't high profile or nuthin

I wonder why Derek keeps trying to one-up you on leaks/info?

Regardless, thanks for everything you have provided to the thread thus far, and for everything you will contribute in the future. You've proven to be a very reliable (and also funny in a not insane way) source.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Ah, so this is why the thread fell on the control panel.

It's like these people don't live in the real world, where schedules exist and falling behind them leads to bad poo poo like job loss and litigation.

I mean, I guess that's a given; who the gently caress spends hundreds or thousands on a single video game?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sabreseven posted:

They kept your account open? They usually get all angry and stompy and close refunders accounts, mature company that they are. :)

Yeah but they're poo poo at that too. My account stayed open and accessible for like a week after I got my refund. I had to email CS again and be like "Hey dudes I can still log in and still have all my ships and poo poo, y'all might want to fix that."

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

D1E posted:

Regardless, thanks for everything you have provided to the thread thus far, and for everything you will contribute in the future. You've proven to be a very reliable (and also funny in a not insane way) source.

You may have missed the threads in the SC leaks subreddit that ripped Agents post assunder, proved him wrong line by line and painted him a Troll whom Derek falls for
:hehe:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

By "top execs" do you mean Chris Robber, his brother, his wife, and assorted asskissers?

:drat:

I wouldn't so much call them "asskissers" as I would "stinkhole leeches".

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

"Oh neat CIG has new weapon artwork out, I wonder what creative and practical designs they've come up with..."

"Hmm, that's actually not bad looking, aside from being really front-heavy. Something about that seems familiar though, I wonder where I've seen that befo-"

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Beet Wagon posted:

"Oh neat CIG has new weapon artwork out, I wonder what creative and practical designs they've come up with..."

"Hmm, that's actually not bad looking, aside from being really front-heavy. Something about that seems familiar though, I wonder where I've seen that befo-"

WTF is wrong with these people.

Put this n reddit.

TheLightPurges fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 3, 2016

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Beet Wagon posted:

Come on Beet, just think....why would they build the SC Verse with OWN or unique ideas when they don't spend their OWN money in the first place? :xd:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

So, how many boxes has Ben got?

All of them. It's Ben.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

D1E posted:

there's a few steps to not being insane about star citizen:

1. remember its a video game
2. remember to lol

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes

Beet Wagon posted:

What is all that poo poo under the barrel supposed to be?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Mr.PayDay posted:

Come on Beet, just think....why would they build the SC Verse with OWN or unique ideas when they don't spend their OWN money in the first place? :xd:

That's... actually a depressingly good point.

PhallicPhalanges posted:

Plasma stuff? For doing... plasma stuff, I guess.

Unless you mean the titanfall gun, in which case I think it's to hold a grenade launcher really far forward for some reason.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mr.PayDay posted:

You may have missed the threads in the SC leaks subreddit that ripped Agents post assunder, proved him wrong line by line and painted him a Troll whom Derek falls for
:hehe:
cig continues to be the best and most outspoken star citizen troll, I'm but a pale flame to their supernova star

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

PhallicPhalanges posted:

Extendable tie rack.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

TheAgent posted:

there's a few steps to not being insane about star citizen:

1. remember its a video game
2. remember to lol

There aren't any sane people left that still talk about this game on a daily basis except for the people working on it and the people who have money invested in it

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah but they're poo poo at that too. My account stayed open and accessible for like a week after I got my refund. I had to email CS again and be like "Hey dudes I can still log in and still have all my ships and poo poo, y'all might want to fix that."

Haha, and there was me expecting them to do at least one thing correctly and professionally. :D

I wonder how many have had the same thing after getting their refund and upon noticing the error, sold all the things on the grey market before CIG noticed. :)

I.N.R.I posted:

There aren't any sane people left that still talk about this game on a daily basis except for the people working on it and the people who have money invested in it

Your idea of sanity differs greatly from mine and pretty much every person I know in the real world who has heard of SC. I did have a very enthusiastic 'backer' working for me at one point, but due to his constant idiocy and weird behaviour at work it was deemed necessary to relieve him of his employment, he just pissed everyone else off with the constant SC sales pitching that I'm amazed he wasn't accidentally 'misplaced' in some concrete. :shrug:

Quote from his supervisor (lead first aider and part time paramedic) : "If he doesn't shut up about that stupid game I'm going to bend a shovel over his head". :D

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 3, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

PhallicPhalanges posted:

<flails hands>It's a...<fails>...thingie...that...ummm...does physics!...Yeah...Stellar...erm...fidelity...uhhhh...enhancer....coming in 9.7.5.3.8.2.1.5. DOING IT!

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Beet Wagon posted:

Sorry, I'm gonna have to disagree on that one, they aren't that similar.

You could make the case for almost every modern gun being derived from some previous model. There's only so many ways you can configure and style some handles, a barrel and a trigger.

Of course, whether you would want to go for a '21st century assault rifle' aesthetic in you space game set nearly 1000 years into the future is another matter.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I.N.R.I posted:

You think those people are sane :psyduck:

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Gun is generic, so what

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

aleksendr posted:

But it has already been presold to the vast majority of its audience since 2014 at the jolly tune of 45$. They should know if it is a success...
Ahhh--backers paid for Squadron 42 Mission #1. CIG will be releasing the prologue in 2017--SQLude is something new and everyone needs to pay! $60 for existing backers. $45 for new backers.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Wrecked Angle posted:

Sorry, I'm gonna have to disagree on that one, they aren't that similar.

You could make the case for almost every modern gun being derived from some previous model. There's only so many ways you can configure and style some handles, a barrel and a trigger.

Of course, whether you would want to go for a '21st century assault rifle' aesthetic in you space game set nearly 1000 years into the future is another matter.

They literally have all the same angles. Look at the stock and mag especially. Its not an accident.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Instead of actually modelling flight physics (mass of ship, power of thrusters, direction of thrust and the resulting acceleration and velocity etc.) they're actually doing it in reverse.
[...]
It's actually rather clever, because it needs basically 0 CPU power to do it this way, instead of complex physics calculations.

So the final product will use even more processing power, assuming they ever stop cheating. This is probably another one of the absolutely giant obstacles they're facing, and once again they don't have the acumen to pull it off.

Wrecked Angle posted:

The part where you can do literally anything your mind can think of is also problematic, from rape to human trafficking to space court and filing interstellar insurance claims.

Flarpy posted:

That gets much more difficult in multi-crew ships.

We can expect Seatbelt Flip (alpha) before Helmet Flip 2.0. Give it a couple of weeks.

:ohdear:

I.N.R.I posted:

War is hell man

I agree however that the old subforum title incl.: obsessive insanity was more apropos than the current

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

MedicineHut posted:

How do you respond to the usual sperg retort here about a ship flying wonky if it loses some of the lateral thrusters or what not? This what makes shillizens feel all warm and fuzzy inside and says it proves the fidelity of the accurate individual thruster modelling and calculations etc when discussing these things.

e: bunnies pics

Made me do a double take:

e: karma snype