Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

TheAgent posted:

there's a few steps to not being insane about star citizen:

1. remember its a video game
2. remember to lol

But it's not a game... but that makes me lol... :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Samizdata posted:

We ever get you+me+bar in the same place and the same time, I would be happy to render proper sacrifices to our god together, no?

Solid.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

TheLightPurges posted:

They literally have all the same angles. Look at the stock and mag especially. Its not an accident.

Okay, having looked at other gun shapes I'll concede that point. It's 'rather a coincidence' that both have double swept handles like that considering most guns don't.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
In today's episode of "Banter With Ben"

Well this is interesting. Play close attention to Ben's statements re: SM in Evocati. Maybe it's just me, but all his statements lead me to believe that he's trying to tell us something (that I'm right).

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4857195&viewfull=1#post4857195

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4857401&viewfull=1#post4857401

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Wrecked Angle posted:

Sorry, I'm gonna have to disagree on that one, they aren't that similar.

You could make the case for almost every modern gun being derived from some previous model. There's only so many ways you can configure and style some handles, a barrel and a trigger.

Of course, whether you would want to go for a '21st century assault rifle' aesthetic in you space game set nearly 1000 years into the future is another matter.

Given what I know about CIG, I refuse to see the 45 degree swept back combination magazine-feed and forward grip as coincidental. Obviously there's only so many shapes you can do for the front bit of a gun, and the buttstock looks as unique as any other CIG guns, but that magazine area seems a little on the nose for it to be a coincidence.

e:fb

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
I understand with modern weapons there is a bit of form convergence but look at the sheer variety of firearms out there today. And this is 900 years in the future in the game they can do whatever the gently caress they want.

Their new art shouldn't happen to look like a competitors gun that released last month.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Much like your ship, every cubic inch of the gun's interior will be able to customized with a variety of modules. You can use that space inside the front of the gun to hold a small stealth module or very small passenger module.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Decrepus posted:

Much like your ship, every cubic inch of the gun's interior will be able to customized with a variety of modules. You can use that space inside the front of the gun to hold a small stealth module or very small passenger module.

Don't forget, Chris Roberts wants the bullets individually modeled as they leave the gun barrel. Just loving DO it!

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Nothing will shut down until the money stops rolling in, and backers have shown to be almost inconceivably resistent to failure on CIG's part

We'll all be here a year from now, wondering what the hell happened/didn't happen. As long as they can keep the Citizens from playing their broken heap of poo poo they'll be happy

In your reasonable reasoning you forgot the X factor : Dr. Smart. He has the materials to force CIG and their shell companies to produce their financials and to show once and for all if their funding tracker is true. It's a matter of decades not centuries.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Decrepus posted:

Imagining different guns in an FPS conferring different side-benefits (stealth, teleportation, shielding, etc) sounds pretty fun; a customization aspect could make it really nifty.

Too good of an idea for Star Citizen.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

TheLightPurges posted:

I understand with modern weapons there is a bit of form convergence but look at the sheer variety of firearms out there today. And this is 900 years in the future in the game they can do whatever the gently caress they want.

Their new art shouldn't happen to look like a competitors gun that released last month.

Remember when the vibeleogam Mass Defect had your character using weird looking guns that shot retard particles(tm) instead of bullets?

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Don't forget, Chris Roberts wants the bullets individually modeled as they leave the gun barrel. Just loving DO it!

I forgot about that lol.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Magazines are swept in that direction for several reasons. Why would you want to push your gun away from you when you replace the mag?

For any typical cartridge, why would you want the magazine at an angle inside the mag well? The cartridges have to align with the chamber.

CIG is retarded.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Thanks, Mirificus. Now that I know Bluegoblin is some high school kid I feel bad for going off on him at some point. I hope he grows up to be a good man some day. :shobon:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What good is a company that is so incredibly lovely at managing themselves that they can't even successfully predict what will happen in two weeks?

I mean that seems indescribably incompetent.

Absolute zero. Star Citizen is incredibly late, extremely over budget, and horribly managed in all aspects pertaining to actually delivering a product.

Star Citizen is both a success for raking in scads of money in pre orders, and a incredible failure that will never come close to meeting the requirements for the promises people spent that money for.

The only way CIG will be a viable long-term (haha, I doubt this was ever supposed to be long term) company is by self-publishing. The only thing CIG has successfully proven to investors and publishers is that they cannot make a game with infinite time and infinite money. Even if Star Citizen is good, they will not get a publisher to back them for any other future ventures, or Star Citizen 2.

CIG will only exist so long as it has benevolent whales with blind faith and deep pockets.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Thanks, Mirificus. Now that I know Bluegoblin is some high school kid I feel bad for going off on him at some point. I hope he grows up to be a good man some day. :shobon:

Wouldn't worry about it too much, his posts are proof to the old adage of 'wisdom comes with age'. :)

I reckon he'll be a complete bellend when he's older.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

CrazyLoon posted:

You broke his toasty warm heart by being a filthy leaver, you monster!

:barf: not the joke I was going for!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

his nibs posted:

Meanwhile, one of things that Citizens could previously point to ED and get all :smug: about is being eroded.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/359929/atv-2-6-new-flight-mechanics-are-brilliant

Another guy slowly realizing that the real game they are actually making is not the same game they try to sell. Next he's going to be wanting to see design documents, then he'll be relegated to their concern forum before he's ultimate meltdown. Hopefully he'll get an account here at some point.

Good luck with your battle of logic, friend! It's an uphill war and you have a lot to carry. :911:

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

"Oh neat CIG has new weapon artwork out, I wonder what creative and practical designs they've come up with..."

"Hmm, that's actually not bad looking, aside from being really front-heavy. Something about that seems familiar though, I wonder where I've seen that befo-"

:jackbud:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lol

I was thinking this the other day. It was such a gross analogy. :shobon:

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Has anyone said Christ Roberts presents Scam Shitizen in the thread yet?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I love how easily they can say "CIG lies all the time" and yet also imply how they have faith in them. I wish I could figure out how they get from thought A to thought B without ever stopping and rubbing their chin in a sudden realization of what they're doing. :allears:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

In today's episode of "Banter With Ben"

Well this is interesting. Play close attention to Ben's statements re: SM in Evocati. Maybe it's just me, but all his statements lead me to believe that he's trying to tell us something (that I'm right).

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4857195&viewfull=1#post4857195

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4857401&viewfull=1#post4857401

Sorry Derek but you're shaking a birch for apples, that guy will tell you nothing

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

- correct
- correct
- correct
- WRONG!

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

That's... actually a depressingly good point.

Plasma stuff? For doing... plasma stuff, I guess.

Unless you mean the titanfall gun, in which case I think it's to hold a grenade launcher really far forward for some reason.

Looks kinda like a mounting rail, maybe a laser sight?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Star Citizens planetside module sneak peak : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBqM2ytqHY4

It's got a few old bugs like T-pose and strange vehicle mechanics still. :shrug:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

"Oh neat CIG has new weapon artwork out, I wonder what creative and practical designs they've come up with..."

"Hmm, that's actually not bad looking, aside from being really front-heavy. Something about that seems familiar though, I wonder where I've seen that befo-"

Look at all the empty space around the trigger guard. You have this weird notch above the grip itself, and then in front of the trigger you have another completely enclosed but empty space. Is the grip a safety? Is the trigger some kind of sensor that has no mechanical linkage to the rest of the gun? Why have that superfluous spar from the stock to the grip? The only reason people do that in real life is so that you can purchase the gun in places that ban pistol grips.

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.

Beet Wagon posted:

Not really all that similar tbh~
6k post from keeping up with the old thread.
Edit: That green part does it shoot corrosive goo like Unreal tournament? :toot:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Wrecked Angle posted:

The funny thing is the way the backers point at extremely slow progress then eventually delivering terrible, buggy, hacked together versions of the really easy stuff as if that somehow proves CIG can build all the ~DREAMS~ they've been promised.

No-one ever said they can't build a 6v6 arena shooter, no-one ever said they can't build a shoddy 10v10 FPS game. No-one even said they can't build a tech demo featuring 3 stations with FPS, EVA and ship flying combined.

The bit people say can't be done is the 100 star systems with 1000s of players playing together in the same universe with millions of AI controlled NPCs and hundreds of planets that you can land on and explore every square mile of hand-crafted, procedurally generated landscape complete with unique flora and fauna.

I put this to Lazrin in the last thread but got no response...

Point being it's all very well doing all the easy stuff but if you can never find a solution to make all the ridiculously complex stuff work you're not really making progress at all.

I really liked your original analogy and it fit well with exactly what CIG is doing. Making an FPS arena game with 6v6 PvP battled using CryEngine doesn't get them an ounce closer to the fever nightmare of Star Citizen. Good critical think skills and putting complex ideas and concepts into a very simple to understand package. :hfive:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

TheAgent posted:

actually wait
  • sqlude is the only planned sq42 release; everything else is delayed indefinitely
  • the rest of the chapters depend on the success of sqlude and additional ship sales
  • 2.6, then sqlude, then 3.0
  • all that subscriber nonsense I posted about awhile back is still being discussed, ie certain classes, missions, skins, weapons locked behind sub

I'm p glad that they went with thousand dollar space ships and pay-walled classes/weapons rather than the dumb pay-to-win route that most games take.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

Star Citizens planetside module sneak peak : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBqM2ytqHY4

It's got a few old bugs like T-pose and strange vehicle mechanics still. :shrug:

:golfclap:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Look at all the empty space around the trigger guard. You have this weird notch above the grip itself, and then in front of the trigger you have another completely enclosed but empty space. Is the grip a safety? Is the trigger some kind of sensor that has no mechanical linkage to the rest of the gun? Why have that superfluous spar from the stock to the grip? The only reason people do that in real life is so that you can purchase the gun in places that ban pistol grips.

This might be the cynic in me, but I think the extra greeblie thing on the trigger guard was purposefully put there to differentiate it from the titanfall weapon. The Titanfall rifle just has a bug extended trigger guard to eat up the space that you need between it and the magazine feed for the 45 degree tilt to look right, and I think CIG wedged a bunch of extra spars in there to eat up that space because without them it would look drat near identical.

e: identical in terms of silhouette, not necessarily overall.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

Chris Roberts.jpg, also every page of Star Citizen Design Doc.docx:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

This is extremely good

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

The Titanic posted:

I really liked your original analogy and it fit well with exactly what CIG is doing. Making an FPS arena game with 6v6 PvP battled using CryEngine doesn't get them an ounce closer to the fever nightmare of Star Citizen. Good critical think skills and putting complex ideas and concepts into a very simple to understand package. :hfive:

Thank you

See, I told you my flying car analogy had merit!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Looking at the super-accurate funding-tracker SC is doing extremely well at bringing in more cash for not-in-game ships.

One wonders why the grey market still needs to trade at 20%-30% below value with all this enthusiastic demand & cash swimming around.

Definitely not a scam.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You obviously don't understand hair trigger development.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Sweet ride. What's that from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Quavers posted:

Looking at the super-accurate funding-tracker SC is doing extremely well at bringing in more cash for not-in-game ships.

One wonders why the grey market still needs to trade at 20%-30% below value with all this enthusiastic demand & cash swimming around.

Definitely not a scam.

The funding tracker remains one of the unexplained mysteries of Star Citizen.

If it's accurate then crazy people really are giving RSI tens of thousands of dollars, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars, every day.

If it's faked then how the hell are they managing to pay for multiple studios, hundreds of staff, mo-cap at imaginarium etc?

My guess is that it's accurate-ish but with a few caveats. Only shows money in, refunds not accounted for. Some sort of baseline is established from somewhere so that there is never a $0 hour (subscriber funds maybe?).

Whatever it is I'm glad it's there if for no other reason than it shows just how loving bonkers the shitizens go during a sale.

e. I will pay my tax in pedo-kittens

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 3, 2016