Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Quavers posted:

Looking at the super-accurate funding-tracker SC is doing extremely well at bringing in more cash for not-in-game ships.

One wonders why the grey market still needs to trade at 20%-30% below value with all this enthusiastic demand & cash swimming around.

Definitely not a scam.

Yea that's what I don't get. Something doesn't add up. They barely crack 10k views for their anniversary stream, regular streamers are lucky to get low 3 digits of users, forums and reddit are fairly slow. I'm supposed to believe they took in 7 million last month?

I'm not saying its completely made up but there is stuff being counted in there that is throwing these way off. The community is far too small and interest demonstrably too low to consistently give these clowns 30-40 mil per year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

quote:

The men of Roberts Space Industries.
http://www.jibjab.com/view/M8Sd1LymnlM9Xj0mXXIn

???
http://www.jibjab.com/view/rY-B875DScWYhqv45KU8WA

Chris Roberts style!
http://www.jibjab.com/view/obrdchSSQkC9hqFVl-Jt5A

So.....I guess Sandi and Chris do go way back.
http://www.jibjab.com/view/qZ6WEAGAT5SKSN2xHCpS1w

Hey Sandi, It's me, Donald Newberry. I figured I'd help Eric with his low-carb diet. Here he and Ben are working out together!
http://www.jibjab.com/view/AsYZGFnuTyq5w1Bl5k3rlg

Ben and Chris make a great team...
http://www.jibjab.com/view/faxzdV69REqTOcZhVf0Iug

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/18921/for-anyone-that-wants-to-see-rsi-dancing-video-again

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

Beet Wagon posted:

"Oh neat CIG has new weapon artwork out, I wonder what creative and practical designs they've come up with..."

Woah. That is a nice parking sensor.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Wrecked Angle posted:

If it's faked then how the hell are they managing to pay for multiple studios, hundreds of staff, mo-cap at imaginarium etc?

Debt (secured by actual whale cash flow which is still insanely large). The only scenario that makes sense to me is they smear private borrowing through their system in a quasi-legal manner without actually correcting the notion that this is all freely given money from broken people

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

PS this is probably what Derek's 'gonna get sued 100% end of story' blog was addressing. If they are manipulating this and lying about their actual funding then we got some good times ahead.

They say all over their website they are a 100% crowdfunded project, that claim has to be complete bullshit but I have no idea if there is legal standards around the term crowdfunded

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
I'm the geometry clipping through the staircase

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Wrecked Angle posted:

The funding tracker remains one of the unexplained mysteries of Star Citizen.

If it's accurate then crazy people really are giving RSI tens of thousands of dollars, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars, every day.

If it's faked then how the hell are they managing to pay for multiple studios, hundreds of staff, mo-cap at imaginarium etc?

My guess is that it's accurate-ish but with a few caveats. Only shows money in, refunds not accounted for. Some sort of baseline is established from somewhere so that there is never a $0 hour (subscriber funds maybe?).

Whatever it is I'm glad it's there if for no other reason than it shows just how loving bonkers the shitizens go during a sale.

TheLightPurges posted:

Yea that's what I don't get. Something doesn't add up. They barely crack 10k views for their anniversary stream, regular streamers are lucky to get low 3 digits of users, forums and reddit are fairly slow. I'm supposed to believe they took in 7 million last month?

I'm not saying its completely made up but there is stuff being counted in there that is throwing these way off. The community is far too small and interest demonstrably too low to consistently give these clowns 30-40 mil per year.
If there's genuinely so much money available from eager backers, the grey market should have seen a resurgence back to "normal" pricing - buy at full price off CIG or grab at a discount from established traders? That such traders are struggling to shift "stock" is a very telling sign that funding is not as CIG/Turbulent are showing.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Solarin posted:

PS this is probably what Derek's 'gonna get sued 100% end of story' blog was addressing. If they are manipulating this and lying about their actual funding then we got some good times ahead.

They say all over their website they are a 100% crowdfunded project, that claim has to be complete bullshit but I have no idea if there is legal standards around the term crowdfunded

This investment group is a large group of normal people. Some could call it a crowd.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Even Moma admitted in the last thread that he had to sell 2 ships with a 500$ loss because he couldn't pay rent or food.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

You guys you guys RELAY.SC is live!

It also appears to be boring and insufferable. Truly, they are the successors of INN.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&userid=27157&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post465274131

TheAgent posted:

current interesting rumor

chris and co have put their own money back into SC/SQ42 by giving the company a high interest loan from bonuses (royalties) paid to themselves (not sure if this relates to their "marketing push" extra cash they got awhile back to the tune of $50m)

I've actually seen this done before by hle's so it's not surprising if true

huh I wonder if this has anything to do with their "Best sale day EVER" from the Polaris and the "Best November total EVER" just last month? Roberts one weird trick for fraudulent inducement

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Solarin posted:

Debt (secured by actual whale cash flow which is still insanely large). The only scenario that makes sense to me is they smear private borrowing through their system in a quasi-legal manner without actually correcting the notion that this is all freely given money from broken people

It possible, but I actually doubt it. I think the sad reality is that they've tapped into a demographic who are both sad, lonely people, desperate to live out their fantasies through SC and at a point in their lives where they can commit moderately large sums of money to a project which promises to make that happen.

We all know the 1.5 million backers is bullshit but even if you take 500k backers the average amount spent to date to justify the $137m figure is less than $300 per person. We know there are a fair number of whales out there in for 10's of thousands. Is it too much of a stretch to imagine that a large proportion of the others may be in for several hundred dollars... over a 5 year period?

I'd have a much easier time believing that to be the truth than thinking that Crobberts and co had managed to convince a lender to give them a significant amount of money. For a lender to part with 10's of millions they're going to have wanted full disclosure, a comprehensive business plan, firm dates for repayment etc. I just don't see that as likely.

It's like a twist on the old saying, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity". I find it far easier to believe there are hundreds of thousands of middle-aged, desperate nerds around globe than RSI being clever enough to fudge the figures or get the cash from elsewhere.

Quavers posted:

If there's genuinely so much money available from eager backers, the grey market should have seen a resurgence back to "normal" pricing - buy at full price off CIG or grab at a discount from established traders? That such traders are struggling to shift "stock" is a very telling sign that funding is not as CIG/Turbulent are showing.

Not if these people are genuine "backers" as opposed to just people buying ships. They know that RSI needs the fresh money so they're giving it to them. Most are probably nervous of the grey market as well, I know I would be. If you're going to spend hundreds of dollars you don't really want the risks involved with doing a dodgy deal.

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 3, 2016

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

:stare:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Wrecked Angle posted:

It possible, but I actually doubt it. I think the sad reality is that they've tapped into a demographic who are both sad, lonely people, desperate to live out their fantasies through SC and at a point in their lives where they can commit moderately large sums of money to a project which promises to make that happen.

We all know the 1.5 million backers is bullshit but even if you take 500k backers the average amount spent to date to justify the $137m figure is less than $300 per person. We know there are a fair number of whales out there in for 10's of thousands. Is it too much of a stretch to imagine that a large proportion of the others may be in for several hundred dollars... over a 5 year period?

I'd have a much easier time believing that to be the truth than thinking that Crobberts and co had managed to convince a lender to give them a significant amount of money. For a lender to part with 10's of millions they're going to have wanted full disclosure, a comprehensive business plan, firm dates for repayment etc. I just don't see that as likely.

It's like a twist on the old saying, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity". I find it far easier to believe there are hundreds of thousands of middle-aged, desperate nerds around globe than RSI being clever enough to fudge the figures or get the cash from elsewhere.

I promise you they are borrowing money on top of whatever they get for free from idiots. 300 employees 4 loving studios across the world. They are borrowing money

e; because they can. and because FULL BURN (song is about their business model FYI)

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

TheLightPurges posted:

This investment group is a large group of normal people. Some could call it a crowd.

Bootcha = crowd member

State of Colorado = crowd member

UK Treasury = crowd member

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

mdxi posted:

You guys you guys RELAY.SC is live!

It also appears to be boring and insufferable. Truly, they are the successors of INN.

Join our hosts Neckbeard, Bowtie, that anorexic dude with a British accent and that guy in the wheelchair, for a two-hour crazy ride of non-stop skype action

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Join our hosts Neckbeard, Bowtie, that anorexic dude with a British accent and that guy in the wheelchair, for a two-hour crazy ride of non-stop skype action

What's wrong with being in a wheelchair?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

It's actually much, much worse

Twelve hour launch party

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 3, 2016

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

I.N.R.I posted:

Did he say there was anything wrong with it?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

I.N.R.I posted:

It usually means you can't walk, which kinda sucks.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

It's actually much, much worse

http://imgur.com/6B8cDNP.jpg

Twelve hour launch party

LOL loving Ben milking the spot light , he hasn't had any clue what's going on with SC for over a year

Show them your boxes of literal garbage Ben

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I.N.R.I posted:

Nothing, it's just how people in the thread know him

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sure.

The most popular thread I ever wrote: Is CIG's "Credits for Cash" approach bad for the game economy?

The thread that created a stretch goal: Spaceship Modularity Megathread. Unfortunately my original post was deleted, which is a shame because it was probably one of the best things I ever wrote.

Me being a Bad Person to Sandi Gardiner, the Greatest Saleswoman In The World: http://imgur.com/a/BIlWu

I'm looking at your email exchange now and request a title change for new thread:

Star Citizen: posting as to get a rise out of others in a way not so good as you'd think

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
"Will we ever get to see scrapped concepts of the Prowler?
:lesnick: uuhh I dunno

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

I.N.R.I posted:

Well, we're all bloods in here and we just don't like crips.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

SelenicMartian posted:

So, how many boxes has Ben got?

That is a lot of boxes!! There is no pause. I've been counting for hours and it is over 11,000, so far....

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Volturi don't get paid for testing the game, do they? Their reward is just playing the game?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Thoatse posted:

So where are we now on Mount Funding?

CIG is claiming we're still in the green parts, but who knows? Since too much misanthropie is unhealthy, it's better to believe we're deep in the red zone and the tracker is a lie anyway. The longer this shitshow goes on, the more misanthropie you need to swallow the idea that people could be really that stupid and continue to throw tons of money at Star Citizen.

Therefore, to keep your mental health in order, it becomes more and more necessary to will yourself into believing the tracker is a lie, since the alternative becomes more and more unbearable. :colbert:

As to the truth of it in an objective sense, the tracker is probably all kinds of hosed, for all we know it could be tracking the proliferation of vermin in backers' households or some dumb poo poo like that.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

**raises hand** Hey, before we get the rape mechanic working--can we work on some diversity in the player model. Plowing the same middle-aged, bald dude over and over doesn't really get me out of my comfort zone.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

I.N.R.I posted:

Most people think it sucks if you can't walk.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

The Volturi don't get paid for testing the game, do they? Their reward is just playing the game?

And, of course, the adulation of all those adoring Shitizens. That's payment enough, no?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

In the initial days, you only had to pledge $2,500 or more and ask via your concierge service to be added. Hopefully this has been tweaked and limited to owners of "cash only" recent purchases to test. Evocati sounds so much better than Givers.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Libluini posted:

CIG is claiming we're still in the green parts, but who knows? Since too much misanthropie is unhealthy, it's better to believe we're deep in the red zone and the tracker is a lie anyway. The longer this shitshow goes on, the more misanthropie you need to swallow the idea that people could be really that stupid and continue to throw tons of money at Star Citizen.

Therefore, to keep your mental health in order, it becomes more and more necessary to will yourself into believing the tracker is a lie, since the alternative becomes more and more unbearable. :colbert:

As to the truth of it in an objective sense, the tracker is probably all kinds of hosed, for all we know it could be tracking the proliferation of vermin in backers' households or some dumb poo poo like that.

Hello, I'm Chris Roberts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6lTSPXDOAI

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Wrecked Angle posted:

Dumb question, what does "whales" mean specifically?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

HycoCam posted:

**raises hand** Hey, before we get the rape mechanic working--can we work on some diversity in the player model. Plowing the same middle-aged, bald dude over and over doesn't really get me out of my comfort zone.
I like Colin Mochrie but I'm not sure I'd want to continually rape him. I bet he'd make it really funny though. Maybe do a hoedown about it.

HycoCam posted:

In the initial days, you only had to pledge $2,500 or more and ask via your concierge service to be added. Hopefully this has been tweaked and limited to owners of "cash only" recent purchases to test. Evocati sounds so much better than Givers.

ripptide posted:

And, of course, the adulation of all those adoring Shitizens. That's payment enough, no?
See, somehow I knew this but my brain kept refusing to accept it was true.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Saladin Rising posted:

If you mean the term, it's borrowed from the gambling world and is used for the small number of gambling addicts who contribute a disproportionate amount of your profits

It's used to describe f2p players as well, where a common scenario is that 5% of your players pay anything, and about 5% of those players contribute as much as 90% of total sales

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Saladin Rising posted:

In free to play games the majority of funding comes from a minority of players who have spent a disproportionate amount of money. Those players are called whales, which also has its origins in the gambling business to indicate someone able (and willing) to lose huge sums of money. In DC those players typically spend well over a grand and achieve special status like a private forum and personal assistant.

In other words whales are the people who will be suing CIG if this goes tits up.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Saladin Rising posted:

Chasing the Whale.

Should probably be in the OP tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

This picture could use a little touchup