Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sydin posted:

It's a surprisingly lovely hand for the MLBPA to accept. Why raise such a stink about an international draft but then accept such a hilariously low hard cap on international amateur spending? The modified QO also doesn't feel like nearly big enough of a concession in exchange for how the new luxury tax rates will gently caress with willingness to offer big contracts.

Yeah I'm no expert but the more I read about this the more it sounds like a deal the NFLPA would have accepted rather than the MLBPA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Rand alPaul posted:

Hah wow, the value of a catcher like him has to be worth more than $6M per year. They must be broke from Greinke.

The value of a proven leader like Jeff Mathis is priceless!

PRICELESS

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

tadashi posted:

I am going to guess Castillo will be a Brave next year assuming they don't pick up somebody via trade soon enough.

If they did pick him up that would be something like a lineup of

Inciarte
Swanson
Freeman
Kemp
Markakis
Castillo
Rodriguez
Garcia

Which is pretty serviceable, especially with a pitching staff designed to keep you in games without necessarily dominating many. Not a division competitor, especially with the Nats and Mets around, but maybe could make a run at .500.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

N: Scrabble got 11/2 from Seattle.
V: Going to tie my kid's right hand behind his back for the first 5 years of his life.

Janana
May 17, 2009

Diamondbacks Baseball: Injuries and Futility R Us

Tom Gorman posted:

The value of a proven leader like Jeff Mathis is priceless!

PRICELESS

Oh do go on cracking jokes about how old-school the management of the Diamondbacks are from your impressions of two general managers ago, that's fascinating.

That said, the current management clearly has some cost-cutting plans in mind, and screw them for cutting Beef Welington.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah I'm no expert but the more I read about this the more it sounds like a deal the NFLPA would have accepted rather than the MLBPA.

You have to remember that it's been a very long time since the MLBPA has had a strong leader. While Don Fehr didn't officially leave until 2009, he had basically checked out at least a year prior to that (he had been unofficially advising the NHLPA for quite some time, believing that a work stoppage was inevitable), which left Michael Weiner running the show, and Weiner was a completely spineless shitlord who essentially did whatever the rich veterans told him to do, which led to some truly moronic poo poo like the union rolling over and allowing the QO system to be created. I was skeptical of Tony Clark from the beginning, simply because he doesn't have the negotiating or legal background that a guy like Fehr or Dick Moss would -- sure, they've got Dave Prouty as general counsel but it's not the same thing -- but this CBA negotiation was always going to be his first real test, and as more details come out, the more it seems he did not exactly pass with flying colors.

This is a CBA that Marvin Miller would have tossed on the ground and pissed on in full view of the owners, Lou Brown-style.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I wonder if the Moncada signing freaked out some of the owners, and that's why they took such a hard line on signing bonuses for foreign ballplayers. I mean, $30+ million is a shitload to give a teenager who is years away from the majors. And when you factor in penalties, Moncada cost the Sox $63 million just to sign. That's more than some teams' payrolls. Honestly, some kind of cap on international signing bonuses is probably a good idea. But $5 million per team per year, that's a joke.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Beltran to the Astros

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Beltran to the Astros

Looks like the EE sweepstakes are down to the Jays, Yankees, and Rangers

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So can Beltran play the outfield at all anymore? Left Field in MMP isn't too demanding and we have a huge hole in our lineup there. That's the only possible bright side I can set to signing Beltran

e: Over EE I mean. Since there are a few options for 1B/DH but the cupboard is fairly bare for LF (Marisnick and Aoki basically)

I guess this also puts another left handed bat in the lineup, so they've added Beltran, Reddick and McCann to even out the lineup a bit

Apparently the Angels acquired pitcher Brooks Pounders. That is one solid name tool

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 3, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

So can Beltran play the outfield at all anymore?

It's really a coin toss. His knee issues are degenerative (I believe he's had multiple surgeries on both) and he had significant issues with his left knee during the summer. He might still be OK, but he really projects as a DH more than anything.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Timby posted:

It's really a coin toss. His knee issues are degenerative (I believe he's had multiple surgeries on both) and he had significant issues with his left knee during the summer. He might still be OK, but he really projects as a DH more than anything.

He absolutely cost the Yankees with regularity in the field. The Astros should be treating him as a DH only.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Beltran vs. Gattis: The Fight to be the Worse Left Fielder.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If Beltran is literally DH only then I hate the signing. His projected wRC+ isn't much different from Gattis and leaves him without a position

$16m for a DH whose OPS is .800. Oof

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I mean, he played RF in Yankee Stadium and looked bad. That's a hell of a thing.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Intruder posted:

If Beltran is literally DH only then I hate the signing. His projected wRC+ isn't much different from Gattis and leaves him without a position

$16m for a DH whose OPS is .800. Oof

The Angels are so jealous right now. Albert got what, $24M to OPS .780 last year?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/805202410373283840

Local man to hit 82 homeruns, put up .790 OPS.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
Trumbo playing for the Rockies would be Good For Baseball

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pancakes posted:

The Angels are so jealous right now. Albert got what, $24M to OPS .780 last year?

Yeah that hasn't been a great contract for the Angels so far

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
It seems to me like middling designated hitter is by far the most overvalued position in baseball. Is this perception accurate? you should know that I am informs on this by both Billy Butler and Kendrys morales

edit - I forgot jose guillen

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

bewbies posted:

It seems to me like middling designated hitter is by far the most overvalued position in baseball. Is this perception accurate? you should know that I am informs on this by both Billy Butler and Kendrys morales

edit - I forgot jose guillen

They're better than middling hitter who can't field but fields anyway and actually loses value there

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
Rumors still going around that Coppy is trying to pry Sale away. Please don't, Coppy. This team isn't an ace away from contending. :(

I imagine any deal starts with Ozzie.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Timby posted:

You have to remember that it's been a very long time since the MLBPA has had a strong leader. While Don Fehr didn't officially leave until 2009, he had basically checked out at least a year prior to that (he had been unofficially advising the NHLPA for quite some time, believing that a work stoppage was inevitable), which left Michael Weiner running the show, and Weiner was a completely spineless shitlord who essentially did whatever the rich veterans told him to do, which led to some truly moronic poo poo like the union rolling over and allowing the QO system to be created. I was skeptical of Tony Clark from the beginning, simply because he doesn't have the negotiating or legal background that a guy like Fehr or Dick Moss would -- sure, they've got Dave Prouty as general counsel but it's not the same thing -- but this CBA negotiation was always going to be his first real test, and as more details come out, the more it seems he did not exactly pass with flying colors.

This is a CBA that Marvin Miller would have tossed on the ground and pissed on in full view of the owners, Lou Brown-style.

I think that one issue is that the players don't feel very exploited these days. I realize their share of revenue has gone down, but in absolute terms salaries keep going up.

Combine that with the general attitude in the US about unions, and I understand why there isn't a ton of boat-rocking going on with the CBA. I could see 2021 being more contentious, but unless player salaries start dropping in actual dollar value, I don't see another strike/lockout.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: It's not signed yet but Rich Hill is "close to a deal" with the Dodgers, and they expect to make a formal announcement sometime tomorrow.

V: I'd be legit surprised if the Dodgers sign Hill because his value is pretty darn high right now and between having to bring back Turner/Jansen, and staring down the barrel of their crippling organizational debt and payroll already well above the eventual luxury tax cap, I'm not sure how they also have the :10bux: to sign Hill, unless he's giving them one hell of a discount.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Michael Bayleaf posted:

Trumbo playing for the Rockies would be Good For Baseball

Please make this happen, Mark. Just need to find a way for them to afford to trade for Stanton, too.

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

tadashi posted:

Please make this happen, Mark. Just need to find a way for them to afford to trade for Stanton, too.

I mean, they have Nolan Arenado, who could basically be traded for anyone.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sydin posted:

N: It's not signed yet but Rich Hill is "close to a deal" with the Dodgers, and they expect to make a formal announcement sometime tomorrow.

V: I'd be legit surprised if the Dodgers sign Hill because his value is pretty darn high right now and between having to bring back Turner/Jansen, and staring down the barrel of their crippling organizational debt and payroll already well above the eventual luxury tax cap, I'm not sure how they also have the :10bux: to sign Hill, unless he's giving them one hell of a discount.
I saw that it's for 3 years/$40 million?

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Rumors still going around that Coppy is trying to pry Sale away. Please don't, Coppy. This team isn't an ace away from contending. :(

I imagine any deal starts with Ozzie.

If getting Sale now means keeping him around for a few years, then it might not be a bad move. I wouldn't expect Colon, Dickey, and Garcia to stick around more than a year, so Sale and Tehran would be two solid starters to go into 2018 with. This means that Foltynwicz will probably get traded, but I'd be okay with that.

MerklesBoner
Apr 5, 2003

Keep Trumbo in the AL and away from the Denver launching pad plz thx.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

There's like a 0.001% chance Mark McGwire gets elected to the Hall of Fame today, by the latest incarnation of the Veteran's Committee. That would own.

But realistically it'll be Bud Selig, or no one.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
The deciding vote that puts Selig in the hall is, in a complete coincidence, cast by Sud Belig.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Ready! Set! Blow! posted:

The deciding vote that puts Selig in the hall is, in a complete coincidence, cast by Sud Belig.

"Hello, my name is Mr...um...Giles, and I come from...um...someplace faaar away. Yes, that will do."

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
https://twitter.com/bnicholsonsmith/status/805498181681291264

someone who is good at free agency help me budget this. my lineup is dying.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Chexoid posted:

I would like the Jays to please plug one of the massive gaping cavernous holes in this team please.

Do the Jays really need LOOGYs, an everyday 1B, or a functional outfield?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Chexoid posted:

https://twitter.com/bnicholsonsmith/status/805498181681291264

someone who is good at free agency help me budget this. my lineup is dying.

Adam Eaton(4m), Jose Bautista(15m), Pedro Alvarez(5million), Half of Bastardo's contract(3.5). A bunch of minor league deals for RH relief depth. Some guy that can catch.

So that's like 30millionish which seems to be what they have to spend.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Matt Holliday is also a free agent and can probably be snapped up for fairly cheap given his age/injuries + coming off something of a down year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ready! Set! Blow! posted:

Considering that the biggest black marks on Selig's tenure are the All-Star game / home field advantage bullshit, the contraction scheme and the shell game that blew up the Expos and got Henry owning the Red Sox (I really put the strike on some of the hawk owners and Rob Manfred more than Selig), it really isn't hard to make an argument for him to be in the top tier of MLB commissioners.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Timby posted:

Considering that the biggest black marks on Selig's tenure are the All-Star game / home field advantage bullshit, the contraction scheme and the shell game that blew up the Expos and got Henry owning the Red Sox (I really put the strike on some of the hawk owners and Rob Manfred more than Selig), it really isn't hard to make an argument for him to be in the top tier of MLB commissioners.

The strike. And turning a blind eye to obvious PED use after the strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bad boy in the boy band posted:

The strike. And turning a blind eye to obvious PED use after the strike.

To be fair PED's making baseball into a home run party is a big reason it recovered viewership after the strike. The Sosa/McGwire home run race alone arguably saved the face of the sport and there's no way it would have happened without both players guzzling roids.

• Locked thread