Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

PromethiumX posted:

There should be a licensing process to have children. You should have to apply and be vetted as though you were purchasing a home.

This is a slippery slope to eugenics, when you start having a government intervene in "You can have a child and you can't."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I cried during the first twenty minutes of Frozen. Do You Wanna Build a Snowman was powerful, yo.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Mario is better than wario

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Frozen is by far the worst movie Disney has ever been involved in and is the only one I've seen that I was so displeased with it I turned it off within 20 minutes.

Classic whiteamerica.txt. You're always forgetting about Native Americans

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

fruit on the bottom posted:

Classic whiteamerica.txt. You're always forgetting about Native Americans

What are you even trying to say? I've only seen 1 of those and Pocahontas wasn't bad, as a child. Maybe if I saw Frozen as a child it would have been OK, but as it was, I was an adult on a plane with literally nothing to do besides watch that movie and I chose to just continue on in silence because it was so unpleasant. If you enjoy frozen and you don't have kids and are just pretending to like it for their benefit there's something wrong with you, just like with steven universe or MLP.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Grandmother of Five posted:

most people become better people when they become parents

I agree.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Children's movies are for children

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

yeah I eat rear end posted:

What are you even trying to say? I've only seen 1 of those and Pocahontas wasn't bad, as a child. Maybe if I saw Frozen as a child it would have been OK, but as it was, I was an adult on a plane with literally nothing to do besides watch that movie and I chose to just continue on in silence because it was so unpleasant. If you enjoy frozen and you don't have kids and are just pretending to like it for their benefit there's something wrong with you, just like with steven universe or MLP.

I'm saying that that my opinion is that those three movies are worse.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

oldpainless posted:

Children's movies are for children

More like oldjoyless :colbert:

No, but honestly, you're right. One of my friends posted "Am I the only adult that wants to go see Moana?" and I told her that I might be the only adult in my friends circle who DOESN'T want to see it. I don't understand adult interest in children's media (Disney movies, Steven Universe, etc.).

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Good things are better than bad things.

but on the other hand, there is actually no difference between good things and bad things.

Nothing good exists.

Everything you think is good is actually bad. Everything you think is bad is actually bad.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

YeahTubaMike posted:

More like oldjoyless :colbert:

No, but honestly, you're right. One of my friends posted "Am I the only adult that wants to go see Moana?" and I told her that I might be the only adult in my friends circle who DOESN'T want to see it. I don't understand adult interest in children's media (Disney movies, Steven Universe, etc.).

Unfortunately, animation is relegated to children's fare here in the States. I love me the gently caress out of some animation; it's fun as hell to breathe life into a series of images and it's fun as hell to watch other people nail the art of motion and marvel over their techniques and tech advancements that allow them fluidity that might have been impossible just a few years before. Behind the scenes stuff from LAIKA is goddamn mind-blowing and pencil tests from people like Sergio Pablos and Christian Retzlaff are loving magical. Or if you look at Richard William's work and consider the technique and skill required to accomplish what he did without the use of computers? And in such sheer perfection? gently caress.
Thing is, aside from the odd indie or foreign release, if you want to see an animated movie in this country you're probably going to have to see a children's movie. Throw in the fact that the most proficient studios in this country produce exclusively children's content. But I'd watch Sleeping Beauty a million times over to admire its secondary on clothing or Pinocchio for its soft-shading with motherfucking inked cels. I'll go see Moana to see its water tech and I'll watch Zootopia (there's an unpopular opinion, don't much care for that movie) marveling at how just a decade prior, rendering fur was such a massive strain that they could only have one character with it on-screen at a time. And now they've got 64 types of fur they're rendering? And each character has millions of hairs? poo poo!

:sparkles:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Animation is good when it adds something to the film form as a whole. E.g. movies like the Illusionist are amazing because they use animation to precisely track each frame to correspond with the emotion intended by the director in a way distinct from a live action movie. Alternatively movies like Hedgehog in the Fog or There Will Come The Soft Rains use the texture and physical properties of animated materials to evoke moods that would be otherwise impossible.

Also stop motion puppet movies are still impossible to replace with CGI, anybody can tell the difference between the two techniques, and the physical one just looks better if given enough effort.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Dec 4, 2016

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence that these two genres are the ones most closely associated with specific stereotypes and those two genres being the most commonly written off ones.

same but for anime, the stereotype being 'is japanese'

icantfindaname has a new favorite as of 02:03 on Dec 4, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What exactly is non-Japanese anime?

PHUO: The only good animated serials are King of the Hill, Beavis and Butthead and Aeon Flux.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

what exactly is non-black rap music, or non-rural-southern-white country music?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like animation, period, but frankly I do wish it veered further from its almost exclusive role as "family entertainment." Animation is essentially just art with a time axis, the fact that it's 95% Johnny Test is inexplicable and a travesty.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

what exactly is non-black rap music, or non-rural-southern-white country music?

Well it depends on whether I like the song or not is pretty much the defining factor

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i dunno, a lot of/most anime is bad, but the fact is there's a strong undercurrent of racism and orientalism present in most discourse critical of anime and japanese media, and even in a lot of it that's not explicitly critical. i was listening to NPR the other day and they were talking about the ghost in the shell live action movie and they had some like 28 year old asian-american journalist who basically said that anime characters look white because japanese poeple are racially self-hating and insecure and secretly want to be white, and it's like really? that's like 1890 rudyard kipling talking about the essential character of the indian races or some poo poo. no justification or actual social science was presented, the narrator just basically nodded and went 'truly the japanese are a mysterious people'. that kind of discourse makes up like 80% of everything i've ever seen written about japan or its media

icantfindaname has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Dec 4, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

This is a slippery slope to eugenics, when you start having a government intervene in "You can have a child and you can't."

Eugenics isn't bad.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Eugenics isn't bad.

Just in case anyone thinks this is a normal person's post, it isn't

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

Just in case anyone thinks this is a normal person's post, it isn't

We also debated it like 8 separate times in the last thread so let's just not.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

i dunno, a lot of anime is bad, yes, but the fact is there's a strong undercurrent of racism and orientalism present in most discourse critical of anime and japanese media, and even in a lot of it that's not explicitly critical. i was listening to NPR the other day and they were talking about the ghost in the shell live action movie and they had some like 28 year old asian-american journalist who basically said that anime characters look white because japanese poeple are racially self-hating and insecure and secretly want to be white, and it's like really? that's like 1890 rudyard kipling talking about the essential character of the indian races or some poo poo. no justification or actual social science was presented, the narrator just basically nodded and went 'truly the japanese are a mysterious people'. that kind of discourse makes up like 80% of everything i've ever seen written about japan or its media

I've noticed the Japanese produce lots of non-Japanese characters.

Solid Snake
Cloud Strife
Chris Redfield
Claire Redfield
Doris Lang from Vampire Hunter D
Barrett from FF7
Old Snake
Balrog from Street Fighter 2
Jill Valentine
Mario
Luigi
Sonic the Hedgehog

Why would they make so many non oriental characters if they liked being Japanese?

I hope this helps you in your efforts

I hope

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

icantfindaname posted:

i dunno, a lot of anime is bad, yes, but the fact is there's a strong undercurrent of racism and orientalism present in most discourse critical of anime and japanese media, and even in a lot of it that's not explicitly critical.

I think that's two separate things; there are legitimate issues with some animus but then some people also resort to slurs or :biotruths: to express their opinion in way that engages with the ethnicity of the creator rather than with the relevant aspects of the creation.

Pick posted:

Animation is essentially just art with a time axis, the fact that it's 95% Johnny Test is inexplicable and a travesty.

:agreed:

Jastiger posted:

Eugenics isn't bad.

jastiger pls no, we already discussed this: eugenics explicitly frames itself in way that it's the science of controlling genes at the population level for the benefit of society, even without abuse (which there is so much room for) and with the noblest of intentions it's still a p. spooky endeavor considering the means it requires to realistically achieve its ends

what you probably actually want is just the normal science of medicine, one that isn't afraid to use therapeutic gene manipulation to treat inheritable disease

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
America already has a strong undercurrent of "soft eugenics" and it's never come close to solving poo poo.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pick posted:

America already has a strong undercurrent of "soft eugenics" and it's never come close to solving poo poo.

North America's getting soft, patrón, and the rest of the world is getting tough. Very, very tough. We're entering savage new times.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

There is no finer television show than Rick And Morty right now and it being only celebrated by mentally-underdeveloped white nerd manchildren is a massive tragedy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

There is no finer television show than Rick And Morty right now and it being only celebrated by mentally-underdeveloped white nerd manchildren is a massive tragedy.

The second season was pretty hit or miss with its episodes, and they're already reusing the few original things the series did over again. It's not terrible or bad, don't get me wrong, but I guarantee we'll have another slow sad song over an "emotional" moment again next season. Probably get another tv show episode too.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

steven universe is better than rick and morty

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

hard counter posted:

jastiger pls no, we already discussed this: eugenics explicitly frames itself in way that it's the science of controlling genes at the population level for the benefit of society, even without abuse (which there is so much room for) and with the noblest of intentions it's still a p. spooky endeavor considering the means it requires to realistically achieve its ends

what you probably actually want is just the normal science of medicine, one that isn't afraid to use therapeutic gene manipulation to treat inheritable disease

I dont see how the top paragraph conflicts or is even necessarily different than the bottom one.

Phuo: its worth discussing things more than once if it means more content is created, it brings new people into the discussion, and it is something enough people find interesting to talk about. If a topic pisses you off, post something interesting yourself to change the topic instead of just posting complaints about it.

Addendum: jastiger is one of the best posters on SA. :911:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

quote:

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The government already intervenes through child protective services and custody procedures. Being proactive about that would not be the same as eugenics.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Jastiger posted:

I dont see how the top paragraph conflicts or is even necessarily different than the bottom one.

excellent, then i have produced the thing you really wanted out of eugenics without actually resorting to eugenics

case closed

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Double Dash was the only good Mario Kart game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Double Dash was the first lovely mario kart game. Wasn't that the first one with the blue shells?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
No, it was Mario Kart 64. A bad game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh yeah. The only ones I liked were the SNES one and the portable ones. Was not a fan of the gimmick in Double Dash.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Caufman posted:

I cried during the first twenty minutes of Frozen.

It was that bad, huh?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

icantfindaname posted:

steven universe is better than rick and morty

Venture Bros is better than them both.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Religion and spirituality are frequently very cool in the many forms they take.

If people did not have a common desire to connect with things of ultimate meaning and supreme importance, we'd all be less interesting to engage with.

This is only unpopular on the internet, I'm pretty sure.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Caufman posted:

Anime and vaping are frequently very cool in the many forms they take.

If people did not have a common desire to connect with things of ultimate meaning and supreme importance, we'd all be less interesting to engage with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I can still agree with that.