Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So I went to this nerdfest thing today with the boy and MY WIFE - It was good, because my son is still only 6 and was in his full Dart Vader outfit he gets all the 'awwww' factor stuff off the people there - all the dudes dressed as storm troopers and stuff that were walking around kept bowing and saluting him, all the ones dressed as Han Solo etc ran for cover, it was the most :3: day just for that, nerds have gone way up in my estimations, it was so fun.

There was also some good nerd models there, like this Hull E Battlestar Galactica ship

And this

And it all kicked off in the Squadron 42 demo Cantina

Anyway that was my day thanks for reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I barely needed to change the Lyrics to this...

[Foreclosure of BDSSE]

Rise so high, yet so far to fall
A plan of Spaceships and BDSSE for all
Kickstarter breakthrough, euphoria's high
More borrowed money, more borrowed time
Backed in a corner, caught up in the race
Means to an end, ended in disgrace
Perspective is lost in the spirit of the chase

Foreclosure of a dream
Those Spaceships never seen
Until all is lost, financial Holocaust
Foreclosure of a dream

Barren promises that once filled a need
Are worthless now, dead without a deed
Slipping away from an iron grip
Nature's scales are forced to tip
The heartland dies, loss of all pride
To leave ain't believing, so try and be tried
Insufficient funds, insanity and suicide

Foreclosure of a dream
Foreclosure of a dream

[Solo]

"Read my latest blog. I'm going to burn their JPES
'No, let me loving finish, let me loving finish, let me loving finish' "

Now with no hope, some still are proud
This is a hoax, unfaithful pushed out
Receive no reprieve and be left in tears
Should have backed that game of frontier's
New concepts will surely get by
No deed, or dividend. Some may ask "Why?"
You'll find the solution, the answers in the sky

[Solo]

Rise so high, yet so far to fall
A plan of Spaceships and BDSSE for all
Kickstarter breakthrough, euphoria's high
More borrowed money, more borrowed time

Foreclosure of a dream
Foreclosure of a dream

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

I apologise for the inconvenience. But no

I like you

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

ewe2 posted:

Hey guys please consider there are other threads you could image-dump into that will not inconvenience those of us without unlimited internet, as nice as it is to see the creativity of goons.

lmao do you want a a 56k Warning?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

lmao. come argue in the forum where this discussion will immediately get moderated, so I can jerk it to my egotistical desire to always be correct on an internet forum.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tokamak posted:

lmao. come argue in the forum where this discussion will immediately get moderated, so I can jerk it to my egotistical desire to always be correct on an internet forum.

Drive by downote quota filled :smug:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

lmao do you want a a 56k Warning?

if you have an old or lower end phone, a massive image/gif dump can make the browser crawl.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

grimcreaper posted:

Dragon age 2 was absolutely fantastic. The only lovely thing about it was the constant re-use of the same loving caves and map areas. Beyond that the story was incredible.

glad someone enjoyed it, I certainly didn't

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

tooterfish posted:

Describing yourself as a creative genius gets you to at least an 8 or 9 on the insufferable oval office scale all by itself.

I was thinking much the same. But I'm not sure what kind of resume they've ever written or "about me" blurb that wasn't run through a marketing group first.

I'm looking forward to what a real fan site will look like, and how much legitimate traffic it gets with out somebody like Jake DiMare in the background fluffing things a bit. He may very well have made them feel like creative geniuses because he was ripping them off and making bank while they went on their ignorant little way.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peter gabriel posted:

So I went to this nerdfest thing today with the boy and MY WIFE - It was good, because my son is still only 6 and was in his full Dart Vader outfit he gets all the 'awwww' factor stuff off the people there - all the dudes dressed as storm troopers and stuff that were walking around kept bowing and saluting him, all the ones dressed as Han Solo etc ran for cover, it was the most :3: day just for that, nerds have gone way up in my estimations, it was so fun.

There was also some good nerd models there, like this Hull E Battlestar Galactica ship

And this

Glad to hear you had an enjoyable evening with your female and heir

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Glad to hear you had an enjoyable evening with your female and heir

o9

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

writing that made me want to wash my hands

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So the new Caterpillar looks interesting:

I wonder if it will carry smaller ships.

So for all you guys and girls who bought this, even if you later refunded it...

Is this what you were envisioning? Like outside of the cost of the ship and it was just free with the game that might come out. Is this the vision you saw and what you hoped it would be?

I personally think it looks a bit silly, but I think this was supposed to be the "space train" everybody was sperging over back in the day? If so I think it looks very train-y.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Derek should post more updates where he corrects his mistakes. It is incompatible with the worldview they have constructed in that sub. Now if he apologises for incorrect information... it might trigger an ELE-like event.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

The Titanic posted:

Is this what you were envisioning? Like outside of the cost of the ship and it was just free with the game that might come out. Is this the vision you saw and what you hoped it would be?

I personally think it looks a bit silly, but I think this was supposed to be the "space train" everybody was sperging over back in the day? If so I think it looks very train-y.

It's almost exactly like what I was envisioning

Not really sure what I'm looking at though, is the outer hull invisible? Is it supposed to look like poo poo?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/805103847215665154
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/805200860443791360

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

/r/ds respects CIG's NDA by taking down a post of someone gloating by posting a star marine issue council video. A sub dedicated to disproving Derek's lies, hampered by the NDA of some unrelated project :smug:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, that was a masterstroke.

Ever had opportunities to tell a loved one about bizarre poo poo that this dumpster fire produced? Yet realize around five minutes into the conversation it would take another 20 hours of background stories to get them up to speed?

That is what I find the most sickening and heartbreaking truth.

All the time. I've given up trying to do so because it's akin to having to explain the punchline to a joke.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I.N.R.I posted:

I apologise for the inconvenience. But no

Epic Meltdown !! !

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

peter gabriel posted:

I ran into a guy wearing that pilot outfit at an event once. He told me to "gently caress off".

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Is this thread still lost and caving in on itself due to people being upset over the new mods?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

LCL-Dead posted:

Is this thread still lost and caving in on itself due to people being upset over the new mods?

not as bad as it was

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

And this

This is a very good and happy thing to do. I'm glad your family and you had a great time. It looks like it was a very cute day. :3:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, server migration.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/805117822041030656

It's worse than anyone thinks. Hopefully it will all come out soon enough. Just remember that I've been saying it's bullshit for over a year now.

[Blue-balling Intensifies]

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

It's almost exactly like what I was envisioning

Not really sure what I'm looking at though, is the outer hull invisible? Is it supposed to look like poo poo?

I'm really not sure either. Partly why I was asking. I have no idea.

I guess this is the modular one where you just keep adding modules in the middle and it gets longer and longer?

I hope it still performs like a cig ship and just rotates comically at center mass. It could be like 2010 where they try to re-enter the Discovery but the outer parts are spinning too fast and there's too much gravity there for them to hang on. Except it's Chris-fidelity and the outer parts have normal gravity and everybody inside is not pancaked to the walls.

Even 30-40 year old movies had better science to them than Chris Roberts has, and he's trying to claim the reality card somehow. :confused:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Teal-balling, in Derek's case.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

TheLightPurges posted:

Yea I think they'll make it to 2018 in some form. But they have to release something for SQ42 next year and that will be the end of them when they can't hide behind "alpha" anymore. The dream balloon has to pop at some point.

But yea if theres one thing this thread has been perpetually wrong about (me especially) its the willingness of the backers to be poo poo on then spend.

Nothing will shut down until the money stops rolling in, and backers have shown to be almost inconceivably resistent to failure on CIG's part

We'll all be here a year from now, wondering what the hell happened/didn't happen. As long as they can keep the Citizens from playing their broken heap of poo poo they'll be happy

Actually I don't think that is the case. I mean it's the common joke that backers are dumb enough to keep this trash fire going but something to consider is the cost of Squadron 42. It's a shift in consideration for what they are doing since it would be an actual release.

If the leaks are true and SQlude has taken focus with other things being dependent on it that means they don't have enough money to develop Squadron 42 from the backers, and they were never actually developing Star Citizen to begin with.

So if the project is dependent on SQlude and it does terribly that means they can't afford to finish Squadron 42 (since it will be more of the same terribly animated, terribly written, terribly received horse poo poo) and the only way they will ever make Star Citizen is if Squadron 42 generates them enough money to actually start developing it.

I've included a finely crafted jpeg to highlight my point

Basically instead of backers being able to see both products released over enough time, it's independent of backer funds and a series of things have to happen which are dependent instead on Chris Robert's script writing and animation. Sqlude will make the money to finish SQ42 which will make the money to actually develop Star Citizen. If one of those steps fails the entire thing fails, and the SQlude will be the first actual step they have taken in 5 years.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fat Shat Sings posted:

which are dependent instead on Chris Robert's script writing and animation

Project status: Doomed

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

The Titanic posted:

No, not what I was expecting. Glad I sold it. I'm glad I ran screaming from this cancerous poo poo-ball of clusterfuck when I had the chance.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
Meat Puppet #2434 reporting for duty SIR!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Actually I don't think that is the case. I mean it's the common joke that backers are dumb enough to keep this trash fire going but something to consider is the cost of Squadron 42. It's a shift in consideration for what they are doing since it would be an actual release.

If the leaks are true and SQlude has taken focus with other things being dependent on it that means they don't have enough money to develop Squadron 42 from the backers, and they were never actually developing Star Citizen to begin with.

So if the project is dependent on SQlude and it does terribly that means they can't afford to finish Squadron 42 (since it will be more of the same terribly animated, terribly written, terribly received horse poo poo) and the only way they will ever make Star Citizen is if Squadron 42 generates them enough money to actually start developing it.

I've included a finely crafted jpeg to highlight my point

Basically instead of backers being able to see both products released over enough time, it's independent of backer funds and a series of things have to happen which are dependent instead on Chris Robert's script writing and animation. Sqlude will make the money to finish SQ42 which will make the money to actually develop Star Citizen. If one of those steps fails the entire thing fails, and the SQlude will be the first actual step they have taken in 5 years.

I think another important factor is that Chris Roberts doesn't really care about Star Citizen. He cares about the movie(game). He's already outlined plans for multiple sequels to Sq42 after its mad success.

I'm pretty sure Star Citizen is going to be slowly hobbling along like it is now, milked for everything with next to no development while the movies are made. It's possible that if Sq42 somehow makes enough money to keep going, there will be a Sq42 Part V before there is anything close to the dream of Star Citizen.

This is not necessarily a bad idea from a business standpoint. A single player game with no server overhead that is comprised of animated cutscenes and different gameplay levels between them is hugely more possible and viable than an MMO at even 1/10 of what Star Citizen is promising.

The backers aren't going to like it and eventually there will be more public outcries that people didn't back this game for a crappy single player experience, but so far the blinders are on and in full effect.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

o7

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This is a local hugbox for local whales! We shall not serve the likes of you!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Never surrender to enslavement, defeat, or the inevitable consequence of piracy!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
In honor of Chris Roberts and his upcoming epic series, Squadron 42. It's imperative that you prepare yourself for the story you're going to get. The multitude of characters and their many, varied personalities and exciting dialog.

To properly prepare for this moment, here is a screen from the Wing Commander 3 I think of some of the characters. Please try to figure out which one is the bad guy. It will not be easy because they do not exactly make themselves obvious. Their dialog and bodily emotions convey acting and characterizations that haven't been before experienced in a mere video game medium.

Prepare yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004