Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

The Titanic posted:

In honor of Chris Roberts and his upcoming epic series, Squadron 42. It's imperative that you prepare yourself for the story you're going to get. The multitude of characters and their many, varied personalities and exciting dialog.

To properly prepare for this moment, here is a screen from the Wing Commander 3 I think of some of the characters. Please try to figure out which one is the bad guy. It will not be easy because they do not exactly make themselves obvious. Their dialog and bodily emotions convey acting and characterizations that haven't been before experienced in a mere video game medium.

Prepare yourself.

Uh, is that Leo loving Mcgarry in some sort of space navy?
I would watch that for ten space dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

It is!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

No space-Margaret, though, so he's kind of lost.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

Capt Hugh Paulson according to IMDB. Now I know.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

The Titanic posted:

I think another important factor is that Chris Roberts doesn't really care about Star Citizen. He cares about the movie(game). He's already outlined plans for multiple sequels to Sq42 after its mad success.

I'm pretty sure Star Citizen is going to be slowly hobbling along like it is now, milked for everything with next to no development while the movies are made. It's possible that if Sq42 somehow makes enough money to keep going, there will be a Sq42 Part V before there is anything close to the dream of Star Citizen.

This is not necessarily a bad idea from a business standpoint. A single player game with no server overhead that is comprised of animated cutscenes and different gameplay levels between them is hugely more possible and viable than an MMO at even 1/10 of what Star Citizen is promising.

The backers aren't going to like it and eventually there will be more public outcries that people didn't back this game for a crappy single player experience, but so far the blinders are on and in full effect.

well yeah Crobberts is what determined the focus on Squadron 42.

Normally you pick one project or the other to do first. The backers want and paid for the MMO to be done first but they are desperate / dumb enough to not really care if it is the other way around. So okay Crobberts picked Squadron 42 to do first, but due to his mismanagement it has stretched over so much time and money that they need to release a special smaller companion prelude episode to get enough cash to finish Squadron 42 before they even start actually worrying about Star Citizen.

Even selling the prelude in the first place is a huge red flag. It's a giant "HEY GUYS THIS IS WHAT WE GOT" move. They need tens of millions of dollars to finish Squadron 42 and it's all because of the lovely animation that nobody asked for.

It's obvious this is what is happening, so if the squadron 42 prelude falls flat on it's face i think the entire project is hosed, because there would be a clear message that the next step will be received just as poorly. I personally can't wait for hours of unskippable, terribly animated cutscenes where Sandi's bad acting makes lifeless 2005 era CGI animation exponentially worse.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
can't wait for the prelude

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Titanic posted:

So for all you guys and girls who bought this, even if you later refunded it...

Is this what you were envisioning? Like outside of the cost of the ship and it was just free with the game that might come out. Is this the vision you saw and what you hoped it would be?

I personally think it looks a bit silly, but I think this was supposed to be the "space train" everybody was sperging over back in the day? If so I think it looks very train-y.

I bought one and later sold it for $300. I could get another with my store credit if I wanted. Oddly enough it does seem to be the closest we've seen to the actual design intent. It's big, fat, modular, and looks like it could be very flexible. When it first came out I had this dream of filling one with LTI snub fighters and having a horde of Goons just gently caress everything.

Pity.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I bought one and later sold it for $300. I could get another with my store credit if I wanted. Oddly enough it does seem to be the closest we've seen to the actual design intent. It's big, fat, modular, and looks like it could be very flexible. When it first came out I had this dream of filling one with LTI snub fighters and having a horde of Goons just gently caress everything.

Pity.

Those were the days. I so wanted Bomber Bros to be a thing.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Actually I don't think that is the case. I mean it's the common joke that backers are dumb enough to keep this trash fire going but something to consider is the cost of Squadron 42. It's a shift in consideration for what they are doing since it would be an actual release.

If the leaks are true and SQlude has taken focus with other things being dependent on it that means they don't have enough money to develop Squadron 42 from the backers, and they were never actually developing Star Citizen to begin with.

So if the project is dependent on SQlude and it does terribly that means they can't afford to finish Squadron 42 (since it will be more of the same terribly animated, terribly written, terribly received horse poo poo) and the only way they will ever make Star Citizen is if Squadron 42 generates them enough money to actually start developing it.

I've included a finely crafted jpeg to highlight my point

Basically instead of backers being able to see both products released over enough time, it's independent of backer funds and a series of things have to happen which are dependent instead on Chris Robert's script writing and animation. Sqlude will make the money to finish SQ42 which will make the money to actually develop Star Citizen. If one of those steps fails the entire thing fails, and the SQlude will be the first actual step they have taken in 5 years.
There was a time. Way back in 2012. When Chris had been working on the project since 2011, was getting lots of help from CryTek, and already had top notch development houses setup to do the contract work--there was a plan. The plan, as I understood it, was to ship Squadron 42 in time to cash in on the 2014 holidays. Squadron 42 would be a huge success, selling tens of millions of copies. At which point--ship for cash would stop! Fini! You would only be able to buy limited amounts of UEC every day for cash. All ships would be purchased in game. CIG would live or die on their own merit as a development studio.

Squadron 42 would also come with Star Citizen. After you played the solo SQ42 campaign , you would finish with a starter ship and that would be your chariot until you earned better in the PU. Of course in early 2015--the PU would still be in development and you'd only have the really basic stuff--like trading... But don't worry CIG would be constantly adding new content and expanding the PU with ships, events, and locations. (This seems so, so long ago--and typing it just makes me feel like a rube for believing any of it in the first place...)

So, huge success! And here we are...

Just for the record--everything worked out perfectly. SQ42 is 60 hours long of the best game ever created. Chris and Ortwin were just finishing a letter to the spregs back in 2014 and getting ready to release the game. Then Sandi got wind of the plan. Sandi charged into the office with a cleaver and asked if they realized how stupid releasing anything would be when the idiot gamers were giving them $35million a year for nothing. So yeah--CIG is a total sham. Chris and Sandi just go on vacation waiting for the cash to stop rolling in. They figured this Christmas they would have to release something--then the shitizens coughed up $7million. (This would make me love those guys if it were true!)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

f

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh my god it's worse than we thought.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

What's the Elvish word for Goatse?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

Those were the days. I so wanted Bomber Bros to be a thing.

Bomber Bros is why I sold my Retaliator for $225 instead of the $450 I could have gotten two years ago. Then CIG revealed that the Retaliator was an under-gunned flying pig with no benefit over other ships for everything but a niche application and the floor fell out.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Thoatse posted:

What's the Elvish word for Goatse?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Wrecked Angle posted:

Okay, having looked at other gun shapes I'll concede that point. It's 'rather a coincidence' that both have double swept handles like that considering most guns don't.

Most of the guns pictured are rifles generally with magazines outside the grip. When you start seeing "swept magazines" is in handguns where the magazine is inside the grip.

If you have a rifle that shoots a pistol caliber cartridge, some manufacturers will design a new proprietary [expensive] magazine format and then there's testing and R&D costs associated with it.

Some companies don't want to bother with that and will adopt another companies standard, ie. you see a bunch of AR-15 pistols and guns like the Kriss Vector [popular space gun looking rifle/carbine] that use's a pistol magazine [like a g-lock magazine in that case] in which case you'll see rifles with the magazine and the grip at the same angle.

In the end, games/film will just design stuff that looks cool to the art director even though it makes no sense.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 4, 2016

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5gdxo4/are_the_banu_space_jews/

The funny thing is he probably has a point, just like the Xi'an are stand-ins for Asian culture. Chris is a creative dynamo.

A Neurotic Corncob fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 4, 2016

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

A Neurotic Spacejew

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

The Titanic posted:

So for all you guys and girls who bought this, even if you later refunded it...

Is this what you were envisioning? Like outside of the cost of the ship and it was just free with the game that might come out. Is this the vision you saw and what you hoped it would be?

I personally think it looks a bit silly, but I think this was supposed to be the "space train" everybody was sperging over back in the day? If so I think it looks very train-y.

Always was supposed to be kinda "trainy" I think, the modularity (swapping in different sections) was an interesting concept. Of course, now that the design criteria for all large ships is based entirely on making them FPS levels rather than any functional or potentially interesting layout, far less so.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I've included a finely crafted jpeg to highlight my point

That's some high fidelitous jpeging right there. Here's :10bux: . Sorry I'm not a whale with more money than sense or it would be 30x that.

One in the Bum fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 4, 2016

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Plot summary:

Journalist David Farrier stumbles upon a mysterious tickling competition online. As he delves deeper he comes up against fierce resistance, but that doesn't stop him getting to the bottom of a story stranger than fiction.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Raskolnikov posted:

Plot summary:

Journalist David Farrier stumbles upon a mysterious tickling competition online. As he delves deeper he comes up against fierce resistance, but that doesn't stop him getting to the bottom of a story stranger than fiction.

David Farrier is our lil' country's current favourite son due to Tickled.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

The new hangar module looks pretty sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz8Y1V8gy1A

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5gdxo4/are_the_banu_space_jews/

The funny thing is he probably has a point, just like the Xi'an are stand-ins for Asian culture. Chris is a creative dynamo.

If they actually had anything in the game other than jpegs and ~DrEaMz~ I'd be getting in touch with the ADL about this. Oh well.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

It's Tickler The Grey!

(the creepo is a lawyer, thank you star citizen for leading me to this movie.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 4, 2016

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Thoatse posted:

The new hangar module looks pretty sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz8Y1V8gy1A

On the one hand, I'm pretty happy that MW5 may finally be made. On the other hand, it's PGI, the only company I trust less than CIG. I'm slightly heartened that they didn't try to announce this one as a kickstarter- so there's a very small chance that it's not a terrible cash grab, but I will certainly wait until it's actually out. For one thing I'll be really surprised if MWO makes enough to sustain them for the next 2 years of development, given how little engineering time they've put into it. Mechwarrior: Living Legends came back last week and that sub already has 1/3rd the active userbase of the MWO sub.

Edit: P.S. I am pretty amused that the other lovely scamware company whose game was based on Cryengine has now abandoned it entirely. Looking forward to CIG redoing all of SC for UE4 next summer.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 4, 2016

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Mechwarrior: Living Legends came back last week and that sub already has 1/3rd the active userbase of the MWO sub.

This is the best news to come out of the SC thread ever.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Astroniomix posted:

This is the best news to come out of the SC thread ever.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MWLL/

Came back, and added custom maps. Like 1 week into renewed development and they've already exceeded PGI.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 4, 2016

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Pity.
You purchased a $300 JPEG based on a gameplay scenario that existed only in your imagination? :psyduck:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

The Rabbi T. White posted:

David Farrier is our lil' country's current favourite son due to Tickled.

Fantastic movie, but I'm all about Dylan.

crisp roberts
Oct 13, 2016

Chin posted:

You purchased a $300 JPEG based on a gameplay scenario that existed only in your imagination? :psyduck:

Some people buy a guitar to get women laid.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Buying a guitar on the off-chance it will get you laid is by far a safer bet than handing your money to Roberts & Co and hoping they actually manage to make a game.

KM Scorchio fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 4, 2016

crisp roberts
Oct 13, 2016

KM Scorchio posted:

Buying a guitar on the off-chance it will get you laid is by far a safer bet than handing your money to Roberts & Co and hoping the actually manage to make a game.

Well, Roberts got laid with SC

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

crisp roberts posted:

Well, Roberts got laid with SC

CIG were paid with soon 140 Mio $ to gently caress the backers

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Soooo tickle cash funding Star Citizen? Yes or no?

Tickled is a weird but lovely movie.

crisp roberts
Oct 13, 2016

Mr.PayDay posted:

CIG were paid with soon 140 Mio $ to gently caress the backers

from the backers

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Raskolnikov posted:

Soooo tickle cash funding Star Citizen? Yes or no?

Tickled is a weird but lovely movie.

I was hoping the tickler in black would show up

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

crisp roberts posted:

from the backers

Yep, important addendum :gary:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm not sure how one would begin to craft the book. Hell you'd have to start with the Wing Commander days, followed up with race horses and a used car dealership and then the kickstarter fest. That is a fiasco just getting to that point.

Ever read the L. Ron Hubbard biography "Bare-Faced Messiah"?

The dude was a hack pulp scifi writer, who repeatedly conned his way into things (literary salons, the Explorers Club, government contracts) through force of personality and talking a good game. Then he would more-or-less completely fail to deliver on his promises, flail about while milking the situation for what it was forth, and finally have to move on to pitch new promises to a new group. Until one day he had his only true genius idea: founding a pay-for-play religion based on selling acceptance to emotionally vulnerable people.

I can't really put my finger on why, but I think its basic structure might be a good place to Archerstart.

Edit: cat overrun by body thetans

mdxi fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Dec 4, 2016