Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, I've been playing FF15 recently, and the level of detail they put into the game gets crazy at times. Especially when it starts raining.

Rain making runs down the back windshield, water puddles hitting the side skirts of the car and kicking up mud, the way that characters look after getting soaked. It's all really good.

The combat system is also both really deep and really simple. Hold square to dodge/block, circle to attack. Now, add in Blindsides, link attacks, warp strikes, combos and finishers, body part breakage and the skills. It has some really neat stuff under there that you don't quite need, but it all definitely helps.

Then again, I also found a bug during fishing that has all of your party members stacked atop one another like some sort of man-ladder. So there's some issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

graybook posted:

This sounds like a vast improvement over a boring old grenade.

There aren't many games that wouldn't be improved by the ability to throw a loving great bag of bees at people.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sunswipe posted:

There aren't many games that wouldn't be improved by the ability to throw a loving great bag of bees at people.

Dragon Age Inquisition has a jar of bees. Its upgrade is adding wasps.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

J.A.B.C. posted:

Then again, I also found a bug during fishing that has all of your party members stacked atop one another like some sort of man-ladder. So there's some issues.

Nah, you're just unlocked World of Final Fantasy mode.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

J.A.B.C. posted:

They're actually doing that on purpose to try and attract Bloodborne fans.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I've been playing FFXV, and I really appreciate how some quest items can just be found out in the world before being given the quest. I had a guy in a restaurant asking me to pick up food for him, and I was able to instantly complete the first 3 or so missions because I had already found the stuff. Same thing for quests to upgrade my weapons and car.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

They're actually doing that on purpose to try and attract Bloodborne fans.

what are you referencing here

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

what are you referencing here

Your party members all becoming fused together into a terrifying nightmare?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RareAcumen posted:

from the clip I saw it looks more like a totem pole than an amorphous blob

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Serf posted:

I've been playing FFXV, and I really appreciate how some quest items can just be found out in the world before being given the quest. I had a guy in a restaurant asking me to pick up food for him, and I was able to instantly complete the first 3 or so missions because I had already found the stuff. Same thing for quests to upgrade my weapons and car.

That happens in Skyrim, too. There's a quest in the first little town you get to, Riverwood, that sends you into a cave to recover a golden dragon's claw that was stolen. If you happened to go into that cave for other reasons, like just wandering around and exploring, you actually can't get through that dungeon without getting the claw on your way through.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
dragon's dogma

Mercedes going on about how impressed she is with the Arisen's fighting style, i.e. climbing on big monsters and stabbing them in the rear end

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A few years ago I got around to playing 24: The Game to completion. It was bad, but one thing I enjoyed was the level variety - each hour had it's own thing, there were only a few levels that were straight up Third Person Shooter - there was an infiltration level where you had to sneak away form a tour group to get to a restricted area, there was an interrogation level, but the most interesting was one in which you used some nebulous satellite thing to mark snipers on rooftops that were targeting a convoy - it was a surprisingly engaging pixel hunt. The funniest thing was that the easiest driving level was the last one, because in the first two you have to contend with traffic - but by the third one the bad guys have leveled the city with an earthquake, so the only one driving is you in a basic maze/obstacle course.

you may die
Dec 15, 2013

Internet Wizard posted:

That happens in Skyrim, too. There's a quest in the first little town you get to, Riverwood, that sends you into a cave to recover a golden dragon's claw that was stolen. If you happened to go into that cave for other reasons, like just wandering around and exploring, you actually can't get through that dungeon without getting the claw on your way through.

Isn't there an optional quest from the same town that sends you to the same cave, or did I just happen across that cave on my first time playing?

You could do that in some of the Koopa Koot quests from the first Paper Mario. I had the Player's Guide and by my third playthrough I probably had them all memorized anyway so I'd always get the next couple of things I knew he was going to ask me for in one trip when he sent me out for something unique.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RareAcumen posted:

Final Bloodborn XIV: A One Reborn

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Serf posted:

Happens in most MMOs as well.

You'll get sent to collect 10 bear asses or whatever and any bear asses you currently have will count. Not always the case mind, sometimes it has to be special bear asses that will only drop when you have the relevant quest.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Internet Wizard posted:

Despite its flaws, Skyrim is great for this. If you get the dragon tablet before meeting the Jarl of White Run, the court wizard will be very impressed with your initiative.

Serf
May 5, 2011

spudsbuckley posted:

Happens in most MMOs as well.

You'll get sent to collect 10 bear asses or whatever and any bear asses you currently have will count. Not always the case mind, sometimes it has to be special bear asses that will only drop when you have the relevant quest.

I've played WoW for years and this has almost never been the case. Maybe it's just themepark MMOs like I play, but usually quest items don't drop until you set off some sort of event flag by talking to the questgiver. I have heard of some games that don't do this, but I haven't played them.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

you may die posted:

Isn't there an optional quest from the same town that sends you to the same cave, or did I just happen across that cave on my first time playing?

You could do that in some of the Koopa Koot quests from the first Paper Mario. I had the Player's Guide and by my third playthrough I probably had them all memorized anyway so I'd always get the next couple of things I knew he was going to ask me for in one trip when he sent me out for something unique.

All this post has done is make me wish for a Paper Mario open-world game

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I've been playing dishonoured 1 for the past two days and I love it, I'm trying to not kill anyone in my first play through and during one level I was traversing a massive structure and making my way to the top, stealthily dispatching guards all the way.
I knocked out one guard and picked his unconscious body up so I could hide it, I plonked him down on what I thought were stable planks of wood and they gave way beneath him sending him to his death, it was annoying but I sat there smiling for about a minute at my shitness as an assassin.

Also, the level where you must assassinate the twins is amazing I kind of thought the whole "oh there's so many ways to get through a level and blah blah you can do this and that" was just bluster but holy poo poo the level design is so good.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Inzombiac posted:

Despite its flaws, Skyrim is great for this. If you get the dragon tablet before meeting the Jarl of White Run, the court wizard will be very impressed with your initiative.

Happens in Fallout 4 too, including some of the 'go clear out this place' quests as well.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I have yet to play FFXV, but this big fish is my favorite little thing in it.

https://twitter.com/AKKO_GD/status/804942092384374784

you may die
Dec 15, 2013

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I've been playing dishonoured 1 for the past two days and I love it, I'm trying to not kill anyone in my first play through and during one level I was traversing a massive structure and making my way to the top, stealthily dispatching guards all the way.
I knocked out one guard and picked his unconscious body up so I could hide it, I plonked him down on what I thought were stable planks of wood and they gave way beneath him sending him to his death, it was annoying but I sat there smiling for about a minute at my shitness as an assassin.

Also, the level where you must assassinate the twins is amazing I kind of thought the whole "oh there's so many ways to get through a level and blah blah you can do this and that" was just bluster but holy poo poo the level design is so good.

It might be this thread colouring my glasses rose but I'm really thinking that Dishonored has to be one of the best games I've ever played. It's an great setting, the narrative, themes and gameplay are all consistent (given that the high/low chaos framework isn't supposed to translate directly to good/evil) and it's really fun. Not only that, but there are so many great little things to it and I can't think of any drawbacks.

To actually contribute I love the fact that the game never shows you a whale, other than the DLC and that one still picture from the ending cutscene, even though they're so fundamental to the setting and they are described as these terrifying, incredible creatures that differ from IRL whales in key ways, in the atmosphere text. It's a great way to let the player use their imagination and it sets up a great scene in the DLC.

poo poo, now I want to play it. I never did finish the DLC.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

you may die posted:

It might be this thread colouring my glasses rose but I'm really thinking that Dishonored has to be one of the best games I've ever played. It's an great setting, the narrative, themes and gameplay are all consistent (given that the high/low chaos framework isn't supposed to translate directly to good/evil) and it's really fun. Not only that, but there are so many great little things to it and I can't think of any drawbacks.

To actually contribute I love the fact that the game never shows you a whale, other than the DLC and that one still picture from the ending cutscene, even though they're so fundamental to the setting and they are described as these terrifying, incredible creatures that differ from IRL whales in key ways, in the atmosphere text. It's a great way to let the player use their imagination and it sets up a great scene in the DLC.

Actually, as you escape the prison but before you talk to Sam, there's -sometimes- a whale drifting by on a work boat in the background.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

you may die posted:

I'm upto the masquerade ball at the moment, i'm totally calling that the safehouse place is gonna get hosed up and i'll have to escape through the abandoned house soon.

and the art direction is great, even though absoloutely everyone looks like a suspicious motherfucker, it's like a nick cave convention from the steampunk 1800s

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Galick posted:

Actually, as you escape the prison but before you talk to Sam, there's -sometimes- a whale drifting by on a work boat in the background.

There's also a whaling ship that goes by during the intro boat ride to the palace, and a dead whale in the Granny Rags boss arena.

Dishonored is absolutely one of the best-build worlds around, it's a shame D2 has less of that feeling that poo poo's hosed everywhere for good.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

More dishonoured stuff, I love the mechanical heart and how it tells you peoples secrets - "He beats his servants" "She steals from her employees" and sneaking around the rich peoples mansions is really relaxing,
you just waltz in as cool as a cucumber, knock everyone out and then breeze around like you own the place, taking your time and stealing the entire contents of the safe, looking for hidden passages and breaking every display cabinet in sight.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

More dishonoured stuff, I love the mechanical heart and how it tells you peoples secrets - "He beats his servants" "She steals from her employees" and sneaking around the rich peoples mansions is really relaxing,
you just waltz in as cool as a cucumber, knock everyone out and then breeze around like you own the place, taking your time and stealing the entire contents of the safe, looking for hidden passages and breaking every display cabinet in sight.

The only problem with that, is that everybody is either a murderer or is planing to murder somebody in the near future.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The only problem with that, is that everybody is either a murderer or is planing to murder somebody in the near future.

Wasn't that somewhat plot-related? The people were corrupt and the city was dying. The rat plague was only a symptom of Dunwall's ills.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
It's implied throughout that the people with the strength or money to survive the plague up until that point are all mostly huge pieces of poo poo.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Well, I'm more talking about dishonored 2 than 1.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
e:nm

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
dragon's dogma

i remember when this was first out i was comparing it to dark souls and shadow of the colossus from the trailers, but now that i'm going through the early game it reminds me more of a weird combination of a european crpg like two worlds 2 (a janky looking and feeling action rpg that's somehow charming in its unpolished state), way of the samurai (openish world and a button dedicated to drawing and sheathing your weapon that is also janky looking/feeling yet charming because of it), and dead rising's basic platforming plus sotc.

some minor things
- i'm enjoying its lovely platforming far more than assassin's creed, for some reason
- the faceplant pose after you fall from a great height is fantastic
- carrying pawns is the funniest thing to me, especially when they just lay flat like a pelt
- the weapon skills in this game remind me of the weapon arts in dark souls 3. dunno if there's any connection to that, like if fromsoft were taking notes at all the games inspired by the souls series after the fact or if it's just parallel evolution
- i can adjust my character's height, which makes such a difference to me in rpgs when every character is at a uniform height
- the game is notorious for having overly talkative pawns, but i think having all their voice clips overlap with each other makes it feel like a bunch of guys in an online dnd session that can't get their poo poo together

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I was complaining about Witcher 3's combat in the other thread but I'm surprisingly into the world and setting. I like the fact that all your witcher gear is specific; you have steel and silver weapons and mystical gang signs and special witcher drugs you have to synthesize out of like sagebrush and barley, not just a big pile of any and all fantasy stuff they could fit into the game. It feels like you are handed the tools of a guy who plays a specific role in society, and then you play that role, including detective work like talking to witnesses and tracking monsters, etc.

too bad the combat sucks!!!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I really liked the combat? I found that I could get into a rhythm with it. Choosing the right sign, poison, etc made it feel like a D&D game.

I'd put it halfway between AC2 and Black Flag.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Taerkar posted:

Happens in Fallout 4 too, including some of the 'go clear out this place' quests as well.

I took a grasshopper off a roof and it ended up completing a quest for Vincent. The downside is that now I can never pick up the case file in his office no matter how hard I mash buttons.
Also one time, I noticed a merchant was missing, so I looked up her ID and spawned her to me and was greeted by this thing:

Being able to revive merchants or warp them to you is one of the reasons I can no longer play Fallout on consoles.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I really liked the combat? I found that I could get into a rhythm with it. Choosing the right sign, poison, etc made it feel like a D&D game.

I'd put it halfway between AC2 and Black Flag.

I put the combat on easy and really dug the game. It makes most of the combat simple enough that you can just blow through most standard encounters to get to the interesting bits of the story, but every so often you get to have a really intense really serious fight that forces you to pull out all the stops.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I was having a really frustrating time with the Witcher 3 combat (due to me wanting to play through on Nightmare difficulty) until I passed some sweet spot in terms of equipment, capabilities, and levels, and combat suddenly became a lot more fun - challenging, without me dying in two hits, but still requiring a cautious approach to battles lest I get taken down by a small horde of drowners.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

scarycave posted:

I took a grasshopper off a roof and it ended up completing a quest for Vincent. The downside is that now I can never pick up the case file in his office no matter how hard I mash buttons.
Also one time, I noticed a merchant was missing, so I looked up her ID and spawned her to me and was greeted by this thing:

Being able to revive merchants or warp them to you is one of the reasons I can no longer play Fallout on consoles.

That was especially lovely since in 4 like three of the best merchants in the game for your settlement came from one time random events and were non-essential so it was entirely possible for them to show up in a spot you just barely managed to get close enough to trigger, right next to a raider camp and get murdered.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I played on Death March because I heard the game gets really easy due to how many opportunities there are for experience and loot, and the combat is tedious as gently caress because thanks to the control + camera you mostly just have to dodgeroll around until you can squeeze in one or two quick hits before rolling away again, and because of how much damage attacks cause and how you can't heal by meditating the only real viable magic option is using the shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I liked the combat enough to put it on the 2nd hardest difficulty. You can tell they totally gave up when it came to underwater combat though, which wouldn't be a problem if they didn't set the latter zone on an island nation.