Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
You suck INRI. Tell Arf and all those other guys to come back and sperg out here so I don't have to go to FYAD to laugh at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

happy page 25 everyone

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I mean hell, Elite has been battling the PVP salt for how long now? Half the playerbase refuses to play in "online" mode for fear of getting griefed, and they don't even have the nifty feature of being able to run around and shoot guns at each other. There's a huge disconnect with the Citizens who all like to shout that goons demanded refunds because CIG wouldn't let them turn the game into an EVE-style greifing paradise, because even as it stands now Star Citizen is far more conducive to greifing than almost any other game out there, and in fact that's the only fun thing to do in the game.

The idea that if/when I buy back in I'm gonna be too scared to register as BEETWAGONTHEKNOWNGOON for fear of griefing or Citizen blowback or whatever is so loving silly I'm not sure how they can honestly entertain it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

nawledgelambo posted:

I am still convinced the only way this company will be able to survive is by a subscription method.

CR explicitly stated that he was opposed to mandatory subscriptions, and it's by far one of the most polarizing means of bringing in income available. When I looked into the topic I did a poll and found out that backers are either ambivalent about subscriptions or absolutely loathe them.

If for some reason this topic interests you the relevant thread was here and the relevant poll is here. If CIG offered a voluntary subscription with minor benefits and a cosmetic currency that could also be exchanged for UEC in-game then I think they could survive, but they would need to deliver a functional game first.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

I mean hell, Elite has been battling the PVP salt for how long now? Half the playerbase refuses to play in "online" mode for fear of getting griefed, and they don't even have the nifty feature of being able to run around and shoot guns at each other. There's a huge disconnect with the Citizens who all like to shout that goons demanded refunds because CIG wouldn't let them turn the game into an EVE-style greifing paradise, because even as it stands now Star Citizen is far more conducive to greifing than almost any other game out there, and in fact that's the only fun thing to do in the game.

The idea that if/when I buy back in I'm gonna be too scared to register as BEETWAGONTHEKNOWNGOON for fear of griefing or Citizen blowback or whatever is so loving silly I'm not sure how they can honestly entertain it.

Star Citizen will also have a PVP SLIDER, they can just set it to NO GOONS

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sabreseven posted:

Sir, you do realize that means changing the bulb?

*bonus points if you get the reference*

https://youtu.be/Qa_gZ_7sdZg

A show with actual comedic talent with actors who knew how to deliver lines.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

http://imperialnews.network/2016/12/bar-citizen-santa-monica/

MoMA sad :(

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5gfvjn/has_there_been_an_update_on_star_citizens/

lol

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

Elite is specifically engineering to be a Safe Space for carebear spergs. People avoid online mode because there's no reason whatsoever to actually engage in PvP aside from the idea of it being fun. There's no content behind a PvP wall, there's no benefit to player conflict, it's a mechanic that's completely isolated from the rest of the game.

Star Citizen, meanwhile, supposedly is going to have areas where PvP is unavoidable because Roberts played Demon Souls once and thinks that other players make the best threat. The carebear spergs hang out in lawful space and have NPC patrols swoop in and save them while in lawless space folks have to get through PvP in order to access The Good Stuff. This has been something the spergs have bitched about from the beginning but CR has been remarkably consistent on the issue (and by consistent I mean he hasn't said poo poo about it for years). It's one of the things that appealed the most to me when I first got into this thing.

Of course nobody knows what the gently caress to expect anymore, and if I had to guess I'd say that PvP mechanics will be hilariously exploitable and most of the content that encourages players to go into the lawless regions (like player controlled stations, exploration, etc) won't exist anyway.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

nawledgelambo posted:

I am still convinced the only way this company will be able to survive is by a subscription method.

I believe this to be true. They will never make enough with their products to stay viable, and a publisher will never front them money because they've proven they can't make anything on time or within a reasonable budget. The future is grim, but right now they have millions. Vacations and bonuses for everybody (important)! Have a merry Christmas with the huge bonus (upper management)! :homebrew:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Chin posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke.

Derek's citizen deprogramming team is good, but not that good. Beer with forever carry the burden of the dream

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Star Citizen, meanwhile, supposedly is going to have areas where PvP is unavoidable because Roberts played Demon Souls once and thinks that other players make the best threat. The carebear spergs hang out in lawful space and have NPC patrols swoop in and save them while in lawless space folks have to get through PvP in order to access The Good Stuff. This has been something the spergs have bitched about from the beginning but CR has been remarkably consistent on the issue (and by consistent I mean he hasn't said poo poo about it for years). It's one of the things that appealed the most to me when I first got into this thing.

Of course nobody knows what the gently caress to expect anymore, and if I had to guess I'd say that PvP mechanics will be hilariously exploitable and most of the content that encourages players to go into the lawless regions (like player controlled stations, exploration, etc) won't exist anyway.

Did he specifically mention Demon's Souls or something? Because otherwise this is a perfect description of EVE mechanics

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Winter Stormer posted:

Did he specifically mention Demon's Souls or something? Because otherwise this is a perfect description of EVE mechanics

Yes he specifically mentioned Demon Souls. And yes, it's a perfect description of EVE mechanics. The difference is that EVE is bad and Star Citizen is good, so therefore they can't be the same.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

The Titanic posted:

Somehow the "us us us" narrative that CIG employs has really hit home with select people. They feel pride in seeing the numbers go up, like it's some sort of a fund to build a shelter for the needy instead of a video game. They must think they are going on vacation too when Chris or somebody near him posts pictures from his world travels across all the expensive holiday locals for the filthy rich.

Don't mean to quote myself, but I just wanted to point out the stark contrast of schemes.

CIG, being a scummy multinational corporation who mistreats people employs an "us us us" concept, and it's vastly successful and has pretty good cling with people who otherwise would see through it as a sham.

In stark juxtaposition of that is Derek, on the other side of the fence, who employs a "me me me" concept. It's hard to cling to, and even in places where everybody agrees with him he tends to lose traction because of it.

Just thought I'd like to point that interesting tidbit out. It's not bashing either side, just the difference in how the "sides" portray themselves to the general community of both for and against groups.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

CR explicitly stated that he was opposed to mandatory subscriptions, and it's by far one of the most polarizing means of bringing in income available. When I looked into the topic I did a poll and found out that backers are either ambivalent about subscriptions or absolutely loathe them.

As soon as CR says that mandatory subscriptions are for the best the backers will realize that they have always loved subscriptions.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Daztek posted:

Star Citizen will also have a PVP SLIDER, they can just set it to NO GOONS

I really hope some day the backers just explode and demand CIG explain this stuff.

That will be the day the curtain rises though, and instead of a game making master with tremendous skill and talent hiding there with answers and design documents of how everything works, the only thing behind the curtain is Chris Roberts. :sweatdrop:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Whatever CIG do to try to make money after the game is hypothetically released, I don't see how they can avoid massively enraging a load of people.

If it's possible to get the big expensive ships through a reasonable amount of gameplay, then poopsockers will get them within a few weeks of release and the whales will be upset that they've wasted their money.

If it's not, then all the non-whales will hate it for being pay2win.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Qwertycoatl posted:

Whatever CIG do to try to make money after the game is hypothetically released, I don't see how they can avoid massively enraging a load of people.

If it's possible to get the big expensive ships through a reasonable amount of gameplay, then poopsockers will get them within a few weeks of release and the whales will be upset that they've wasted their money.

If it's not, then all the non-whales will hate it for being pay2win.

The economy of the game is one of the best things you think people would want to know about.

If you buy a $300 dollar ship but you can earn it in game in a few days of casual play, you probably would not spend $300. Contrary if you did spend that, you're going to be upset that your money was wasted.

This is where that "but you're supporting the game's development" will be an ironic knife in the back. It's very possible that the people who invested <$70 or nothing in pre-sales at all get the most enjoyment out of it if it ever exists. They just spent the cost of a normal game and won't feel shafted.

It's a better than average possibility that today's backers are tomorrow's banned players because they can't contain how pissed off they will be. :ohdear:

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

trucutru posted:

As soon as CR says that mandatory subscriptions are for the best the backers will realize that they have always loved subscriptions.
Turbulent has to be able to deliver metrics to CIG. CIG linking PTU testing access to subscriptions was a brilliant move. If CIG had the talent--putting Star Marine on the PTU a few days before winter break would probably be the tipping point they needed. Cross check whale accounts to subscribers. When you get to 70%/80% of the whales subscribing, I'd think it would be time to flip the switch. A mandatory subscription to a non-released game--I think that might even better than finding out all the top folks in the LA office became scientologists way back when Ascendant Pictures started.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

trucutru posted:

Will the whales accept a 90$ box fee+ 15$subs+ micro/macro transactions ?

If he really pull this off then i will applaud CIG marketing dept, putting them on the same pedestal of mind fuckery as Apple. When was the last subs MMo you saw launch and not fail or go f2p in the folowing 2 years ? Even SWKOTOR, the biggest IP with one of the top 3 publisher in tow had to do it.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

lol yea I saw that one, Derek needs to include it in a BLOG, or at least a tweet

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

The Titanic posted:

I really hope some day the backers just explode and demand CIG explain this stuff.

That will be the day the curtain rises though, and instead of a game making master with tremendous skill and talent hiding there with answers and design documents of how everything works, the only thing behind the curtain is Chris Roberts. :sweatdrop:

They can never explain the stuff, though. The whole house of cards is built on selling people their own ideas of how something will be by being as vague as possible and never elaborating on what is actually going to be in the game. CIG can't release anything and keep their backers happy because every backer has a different definition of what's fun and good. There's a reason they're five years in and people have to parse vague clips in years-old interviews to glean a small modicum of information about what's actually going to happen. If they lock in features and let people know, at least half of them will be pissed about what's in it or not.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Cris roburts iz a wazzock!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
:siren: MOD CHALLENGE RESULTS :siren:

Three people were voluntold to perform in the Star Citizen Cookie Mod Challenge, and three more volunteered. Of the voluntolds two decided not to participate and are subsequently doomed to be probated. The third, Xarael, valiantly put up a fantastic entry and won the drat thing with cat drugs. Of the three volunteers two put up entries and Tijuana Bibliophile demonstrated he was more of an ideas guy who couldn't execute.

TB I'm basically saying this is you.

Entries
Tijuana Bibliophile: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=6579&perpage=40#post466842586
Spacetoaster: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6602#post466881818
Fatkraken: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6596#post466866029
Xarael: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=6599&perpage=40#post466875469

So, the aftermath:

Tijuana Bibliophile will be BANNED for his inability to make cookies.

Xarael has the option to select another cookie maker (Spacetoaster, Fatkraken, or himself) to also be banned. Alternatively, because Beet and I are arbitrary and capricious, we agree that if Xarael wants he can choose to UNBAN Tijuana Bibliophile.

These decisions will be implemented as soon as Xarael decides and we get around to it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Replica of the LA coffee shop that serves beverages and donuts at inflated prices.
A cut-a-way display of the space door showing the inner-workings of the garage door opener.
A gift shop that sells jpegs of coffee mugs and other items.
Crates where children and adults can play hide and seek.

The sarcophagus Sandi sleeps in, and several of the husks left of CIG staffers after she has fed? Along with a warning to the faint hearted and children?

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Three people were voluntold to perform in the Star Citizen Cookie Mod Challenge, and three more volunteered. Of the voluntolds two decided not to participate and are subsequently doomed to be probated. The third, Xarael, valiantly put up a fantastic entry and won the drat thing with cat drugs. Of the three volunteers two put up entries and Tijuana Bibliophile demonstrated he was more of an ideas guy who couldn't execute.

Entries
Tijuana Bibliophile: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=6579&perpage=40#post466842586
Spacetoaster: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6602#post466881818
Fatkraken: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6596#post466866029
Xarael: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=6599&perpage=40#post466875469

So, the aftermath:

Xarael has the option to select another cookie maker (Spacetoaster, Fatkraken, or himself) to also be banned. Alternatively, because Beet and I are arbitrary and capricious, we agree that if Xarael wants he can choose to UNBAN Tijuana Bibliophile.

These decisions will be implemented as soon as Xarael decides and we get around to it.

We are no longer "in this thread", just sayin' :tutbutt:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wrecked Angle posted:

We are no longer "in this thread", just sayin' :tutbutt:

That and the very suspicious 'biscuit hider' right under Beers username lead me to say CASE DISMISSED

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/805254878964674561
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/805458442253176832
https://twitter.com/commando_tom/status/805220305186721792

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Star Citizen: Every System is in Flux

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Decrepus posted:

Star Citizen: Every System is in Flux

Star Citizen: Every System is Fluxed maybe?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sabreseven posted:

*Ding* You win an entire internets, use it wisely :D

Fine. You two go be all happy, I'll be over here enjoying a lovely vindaloo.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

People thought the same thing when I was banned, as if being purged from their overmoderated hug box would keep me from somehow playing the game.

And we're toxic, yet we welcome Citizens in (for mockery, aye, but no kill lists).

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Thoatse posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dear God, that ban pic was down right Stimperial, man!

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Entries

So, the aftermath:

Do you think that this challenge improved the thread and cut down on random off topic shitposting?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Series 6, episode 2. :smug:^2

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Booourns posted:

Do you think that this challenge improved the thread and cut down on random off topic shitposting?

Marching Powder posted:

hey beer whatup. man this is a lot to unpack. got a challenge for you too buddy - what other fat, worthless community manager ostracizes the people critical of the community in order to protect his herd of retards? haha.

arf was just saying doxxing is bad. that's something you should be able to just say at all times and it's good advice. maybe you should use some of your moderator powers or the respect you've generated by your 'good posting' to guide the community towards agreeing with arf and supporting him in his endeavour to create an environment where doxxing is severely discouraged and those that do doxx wouldn't post it here because the community wouldn't be receptive. hell that's what i'd do.

your inclusion of xaearael confuses me too. sure he's a completely worthless poster, and he responds to me all the time with tedious, unfunny vitriol but honestly all you'd need to do to shut him up would be to do that mod challenge i suggested and have him write me a sincere apology. that would break him, because he's stupid and worthless, but there's no need for probations.

as for me, it's real weird that you focus on my brand of off-topic as something to punish. what about the other countless tangents? animal photos? recipes (i get it!)? conventions? basically 99% of this thread. actually it's not really weird that you'd choose to focus on me when you take into account that you're just a fat, thin skinned space dweeb moulding his community as he sees fit - as is well within his rights.

here's my recipe beer, go gently caress yourself, lol, maybe next time someone comes in here to criticise the community you'll listen to them and start guiding the community instead of eliminating the people rocking the boat

see ya, star citizen thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Well, apparently I hurt his widdle feelings, as I am now blocked.

Standard Citizen Defense Maneuver Alpha - Stop listening.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Samizdata posted:

Well, apparently I hurt his widdle feelings, as I am now blocked.

Standard Citizen Defense Maneuver Alpha - Stop listening.

https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/805103847215665154

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Booourns posted:

No, not really. But it did result in cookies and laughter. And that is a good enough thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Right right. So I made a general tweet with his name in it suggesting disagreeing with someone then ending a conversation with an insult and then a block is bad form. Would be lovely if the news gets through to him.

And, yeah, I got nothing today...

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 4, 2016