Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

TheLightPurges posted:

Yea theres only a few options to have that many open spots. Honestly all those open spots can make a large near AAA game in their own right.

A. They want to expand to 400+ people.

B. They are firing/laying off a fuckload of people and want to replace them. (moving jobs to other studios)

C. Turnover is insanely high.

D. Backers still fall for Demo-avis, jpegs, Ship Concepts, a limited fps module that is audio-visual state of the art by the year 2012, and Power Point Slides. So with this funding tracker still going up there is obviously no demand for a GAME but concepts, demos and tech-showcases, so you buy in art-engineer staff with priority because CRs business model works, alias Scam Citizen.

If the backers would stop spending money maybe there was an incentive and pressure to finally deliver SQ42 and SC as min-value-product within 18 months.
But I don't understand Game development :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
BTW heres actual Star Marine footage. I swear its not a vid of my Knee hair

https://vid.me/bZ5x

The gun sights bug out, its a little laggy, and more importantly its literally impossible to kill the dude sniping (a one shot gun) and camping the flag you have to stand still at for ten+ seconds. People tried but could barely ding him.

TheLightPurges fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 5, 2016

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Tokamak posted:

Most of them are open positions and have been for years.

So do they pay salaries that are standard and usual in the industry? Or less? SC and CIG get their dicks sucked by the biggest german games magazines that the foundry positions should be getting spamloads of apply-mails?
Working for the record breaking crowdfunding project should pay off, right? CR still has a superb reputation in Germany , gaming "journalists" still praise him over here

A private company like Foundry42 developing for CIG in Germany should easily pay 80-100k Euro per year for Senior Devs, when public administrations like https://www.dataport.de/websites/en/Seiten/default.aspx already pay 60+k.(less salary but crisis-safe job, flexible work times, max 40 hours per week, no weekend work etc).

So, where is the/their problem filling the spots?

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Mr.PayDay posted:

So do they pay salaries that are standard and usual in the industry? Or less? SC and CIG get their dicks sucked by the biggest german games magazines that the foundry positions should be getting spamloads of apply-mails?
Working for the record breaking crowdfunding project should pay off, right? CR still has a superb reputation in Germany , gaming "journalists" still praise him over here

A private company like Foundry42 developing for CIG in Germany should easily pay 80-100k Euro per year for Senior Devs, when public administrations like https://www.dataport.de/websites/en/Seiten/default.aspx already pay 60+k.(less salary but crisis-safe job, flexible work times, max 40 hours per week, no weekend work etc).

Every salary posted on glassdoor is below industry average. And devs have grumbled about that before. Combined with the terrible crunch (seriously the devs post updates n poo poo at like 9pm where they are at) and the fact that its immediately obvious its FUBAR leads to anyone experienced leaving and only hiring new grads.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

TheLightPurges posted:

The gun sights bug out, its a little laggy, and more importantly its literally impossible to kill the dude sniping (a one shot gun) and camping the flag you have to stand still at for ten+ seconds. People tried but could barely ding him.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5/page1854

Its from there. And its probably real so Derek got owned?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

TheLightPurges posted:

That looks like a perfectly bad FPS.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mr.PayDay posted:

My understanding is that CIG pay is below industry standard, with the ability to work on the DREAM being the major motivator. Within the industry their reputation is supposedly terrible, a horrific combination of permanent crunch, idiotic management, low morale, and a general incompetence. Stuff like the David Jennison letter indicates a place where competency is ignored for cronyism, and I've had multiple sources verify that everything from The Escapist article is true.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Also if anyone wants to laugh at how broken the Cattepillar is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkmPnG4z4B0

The first 30 seconds kinda sums up the whole vid.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheLightPurges posted:

Well that looks like a painfully generic implementation of gameplay mechanics that were tired a decade ago. So right on course for Star Citizen.

I thought FPS was supposed to be a highly lethal tactical shooter?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheLightPurges posted:

The superfluous walkways in the cargo section annoy me. They serve no purpose other than to look cool and provide another way to walk around. Maybe they serve as an alternate FPS path? But if so it seems like just going outside the ship would be equally logical. More importantly they take up space that could be used for larger items or pieces of cargo. Maybe they make more sense with other modules that have two levels?

But yeah, it's hilariously broken. Are there any large ships that are actually polished and done?

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5gdxo4/are_the_banu_space_jews/

The funny thing is he probably has a point, just like the Xi'an are stand-ins for Asian culture. Chris is a creative dynamo.

Xi'an is a loving city of 14 million people in China with a 2,000 year history, and the capital of China for many dynasties.

Surely Crobbers could have picked another less obvious name for his race of inscrutable aliens, from the "Eastern Systems", "patient and refined", and ruled by a hereditary Emperor. Not a king. It's like they took every stereotyping of the inscrutable eastern peoples and threw it together, while borrowing the name of a major city from the area.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The superfluous walkways in the cargo section annoy me. They serve no purpose other than to look cool and provide another way to walk around. Maybe they serve as an alternate FPS path? But if so it seems like just going outside the ship would be equally logical. More importantly they take up space that could be used for larger items or pieces of cargo. Maybe they make more sense with other modules that have two levels?

But yeah, it's hilariously broken. Are there any large ships that are actually polished and done?

Citizens loved it on the subreddit. They prob just thought "Evocati its gonna be buggy". They aren't fixing that poo poo in a week. Thats the product lol.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My understanding is that CIG pay is below industry standard, with the ability to work on the DREAM being the major motivator. Within the industry their reputation is supposedly terrible, a horrific combination of permanent crunch, idiotic management, low morale, and a general incompetence. Stuff like the David Jennison letter indicates a place where competency is ignored for cronyism, and I've had multiple sources verify that everything from The Escapist article is true.

TheLightPurges' and your answer seem depressingly obvious. Indeed, work situation/culture matters.
Maybe SC would have more success if "more" money got to the crucial-important devs, designers and quality managers.....
On the other hand, how could SC be successful with a CEO that already failed with Freelancer really bad and tries to overcompensate mismanagement by "visionary" ideas. How about cancelling 1-2 holidays, Chris, and pay and give experienced Project leaders a chance?
You cannot MANAGE climbing a hill, you LEAD climbing a hill to finish it.
Maybe spend the xmas selfpaid bonus for McKinsey lol and get external expertise.

In my understanding that project only survived until now because there was and still is obviously a lot of talent hired and gets slowly stuff done despite Sandi and Chris.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

TheLightPurges posted:

I'm the FIRST BLOOD and DOUBLE KILL in a highly tactical shooter

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well that looks like a painfully generic implementation of gameplay mechanics that were tired a decade ago. So right on course for Star Citizen.

It's got 100% more Lethality than CoD :colbert:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That demo is highly lethal to my interest in playing the final MVP :shrug:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

TheLightPurges posted:

:dukedoge: Nailed it!

This game looks fundamentally poo poo. Why would anyone find this engaging? How can this be in any way shape or form worth 1/10th the time they've put into it? What the hell is this?

I am sure the backers love it. Keep dreaming friends! I encourage you to find all the pleasure in the world from this type of experience!

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
I just realized what was bugging me about the vid. There was no music.

Even "realistic" shooters like BF1 have underlying music. It doesn't dominate the game and I rarely notice its there until now when there was none. Virtually all shooters/games do. It sets the mood and the pace. In BF the music gets faster as you near the end of the round etc.

TheLightPurges fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 5, 2016

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
god drat, to be a fly on the wall at that company for a week.

Star Marine, where it was sold as a Arma 3 tactishooter, looks like an 90's arcade game at circus pizza, and reverbed throughout the community as reassurance that "its only in its first iteration."

e: gently caress I am really starting to hate the word "iteration" as much as I hate fidelity

nawledgelambo fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 5, 2016

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Trammel posted:

Surely Crobbers could have...

Chris Roberts has never had an original thought in his life.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

TheLightPurges posted:

The first 30 seconds kinda sums up the whole vid. The whole video is worth laughing at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Aj9_8t1eQc

play both at the same time, it kinda matches up and makes it more bearable.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 5, 2016

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Trammel posted:

Xi'an is a loving city of 14 million people in China with a 2,000 year history, and the capital of China for many dynasties.

Surely Crobbers could have picked another less obvious name for his race of inscrutable aliens, from the "Eastern Systems", "patient and refined", and ruled by a hereditary Emperor. Not a king. It's like they took every stereotyping of the inscrutable eastern peoples and threw it together, while borrowing the name of a major city from the area.

This bugs me too. Xian is also the contemporary Chinese name for China itself within the country. What are the other alien races and what real life stereotypes are they based on?

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

TheLightPurges posted:

They can't even get ships to work right as non-moving objects in the hanger.

It's one of the few ship designs in the game I actually like but holy poo poo it's just a pile of broken jank they're charging hundreds of actual dollars for.

Can't wait to see how bad they gently caress the PTU since even a few starfarers causes the server to poo poo itself.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

cool new Polack jokes posted:

This bugs me too. Xian is also the contemporary Chinese name for China itself within the country. What are the other alien races and what real life stereotypes are they based on?

Probably the Polacki with some light bulb change mechanic that requires three players.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

TheLightPurges posted:

CIG should be proud. They've produced a CryEngine FPS.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

ancient Xian proverb

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tokamak posted:

ancient Xian proverb

Developer Ben's Fried Chicken

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

TheLightPurges posted:

I just realized what was bugging me about the vid. There was no music.

Even "realistic" shooters like BF1 have underlying music. It doesn't dominate the game and I rarely notice its there until now when there was none. Virtually all shooters/games do. It sets the mood and the pace. In BF the music gets faster as you near the end of the round etc.

it's a test vid, the release will have Full Burn as the music

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Probably the Polacki with some light bulb change mechanic that requires three players.

I got this name in the free name change thread :colbert:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4861216&viewfull=1#post4861216

quote:

That looks like the "star marine only" build they pushed 2 days ago.

As you can see, it looks completely different from the fake crap they've been trying to shove through. SM was not active for play in the 1st 2.6 build they pushed. Like, at all. Which is what I was saying all last week that they are silent because they wanted to sneak it out at some point under the guise of plausible deniability.

I haven't seen it yet btw, as I haven't fire up the game since the last "minor" update they pushed the day after 2.6 went live on 11-30.

ps: given the person who is sharing this, I would still treat this with suspicion. On 12-16, we'll see if it goes live to the PU or not.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Developer Ben's Fried Chicken

Bentucky Fried ChickenCivil Meat

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is there a way to get China involved in this?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Decrepus posted:

Star Citizen: Every System is in Flux

Star Citizen : Fluxed Capacitor

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

FD intentionally designed Elite's ship launched fighters and SRV not to have russian doll syndrome, where as Star Citizen has been hilariously going down that path. The issue is mainly a technical one, which can be cheated through, but since Crobbers is against "cheating" those are the results you get for trying to recreate reality.

e:
FD link https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/198765-Summary-of-the-Collectibles-Q-amp-A-with-Sandro?p=3076061&viewfull=1#post3076061

Chris Roberts design principles : YES YES YES.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

So there I was, haulin' 27 deciLesnicks of X'ian Pearl Cream from the Eastern Systems over to GrimHEX.

My port-side quantum tubes were acting up -- probably because I'd been too cash-strapped to have them deschmegged for the past 3 maintenance cycles -- but I had to push my trusty MISC Endeavor as hard as she could go. Pirates are peevish and mercurial at the best of times, and this was defniitely not the best of times. The humidifiers had been out of commission on GrimHEX for over a week, and an ashy pirate was not a happy pirate.

"Cortana!" I called to no one in particular (for indeed I was the only person aboard -- a sometimes unavoidable side effect of being a rugged iconoclast with uncorruptible space-morals), knowing that my ship's female AI would respond.

"Yes, M'lord?" her dulcet, voice answered, with just the slightest hint of longing and submission, from the PA speaker overhead.

"I'm sorry, girl, but I need you to push the QD as hard as you can. Even if it means exceeding the B'tak thresholds by as much as 5%. And remind me to lay in new supplies of fresh wipes when we hit Stanton."

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Booourns posted:

Do you think that this challenge improved the thread and cut down on random off topic shitposting?
Personally, I loved the cookie mod challenge, it was a lot of fun.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 5, 2016

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

The Titanic posted:

I must be in the minority though, as a potential backer. I'd love to get a Starflight/Freelance type mash up. Even if it's a single player game. I'm not very good at FPS games, and if Star Citizen actually happens the amount of griefing CIG introduced because of this FPS nonsense will be off the chart.

Every big ship will be 100% NPC because the first dozen times Captain Solo is shot in the back of the head and his ship is stolen by a "loyal crew member" will be the end. CIG builds these ideas with seemingly no idea what the obvious ramifications will be.

Ultimately if Star Citizen is ever made, it will not be a fun game. Nobody will trust anybody unless they are friends from outside that game. People will keep tallies of how much they've ruined players who bought ships by stealing or destroying them. It will be a griefing paradise. Star Citizen will just not be fun; unless you play it in a controlled environment or single player. Eventually people may think about the future gameplay instead of buying the next concept sale. But that would require people to demand CIG actually start explaining this poo poo ideas they've promised. "PvP slider" doesn't even make sense. :confused:

Beet Wagon posted:

Somewhere in that comment chain one of those morons postulates that refunders would be too scared to sign back up with their original name, as though there's some overwhelming shame (or fear of being on one of their "kill on sight" lists haha) that would stop me or anyone else from playing a videogame with the name they use everywhere else. If anything, should the game come out I'm going to be blasting threadmemes into chat while I ram my stupid little shitbox into their $890.00 dream.
Haha wow, it never really clicked for me that Star Citizen is like custom-made for griefing. There's nothing in place to keep griefers from constantly wrecking all those thousand-dollar ships, and that's exactly what griefers are going to do if Star Citizen is released in any sort of vaguely playable form.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

SelenicMartian posted:

Is there a way to get China involved in this?

When players can begin to grind for credits / UEC / Alpha tokens, yes.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

mdxi posted:

So there I was, haulin' 27 deciLesnicks of X'ian Pearl Cream from the Eastern Systems over to GrimHEX.

My port-side quantum tubes were acting up -- probably because I'd been too cash-strapped to have them deschmegged for the past 3 maintenance cycles -- but I had to push my trusty MISC Endeavor as hard as she could go. Pirates are peevish and mercurial at the best of times, and this was defniitely not the best of times. The humidifiers had been out of commission on GrimHEX for over a week, and an ashy pirate was not a happy pirate.

"Cortana!" I called to no one in particular (for indeed I was the only person aboard -- a sometimes unavoidable side effect of being a rugged iconoclast with uncorruptible space-morals), knowing that my ship's female AI would respond.

"Yes, M'lord?" her dulcet, voice answered, with just the slightest hint of longing and submission, from the PA speaker overhead.

"I'm sorry, girl, but I need you to push the QD as hard as you can. Even if it means exceeding the B'tak thresholds by as much as 5%. And remind me to lay in new supplies of fresh wipes when we hit Stanton."

hahaha, jesus, I'm in tears from reading this. This gave me an idea, too

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Saladin Rising posted:

Haha wow, it never really clicked for me that Star Citizen is like custom-made for griefing. There's nothing in place to keep griefers from constantly wrecking all those thousand-dollar ships, and that's exactly what griefers are going to do if Star Citizen is released in any sort of vaguely playable form.

Star Citizen, from videos, has a ridiculous short TTK (time to kill) period. A connie dies within a minute, ships crash in spectacular fashion with no auto eject (not sure why this is not a feature), players die and ships despawn with them, jumping out of a ship while its flying doesn't follow physics (your velocity = ship velocity) but instead of a high possibility of your death.

Griefed Citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Brilliant, old son, brilliant. Even a non-Goon, non-SC friend I shared it with says, and I quote
"That is awesome."
and he has no clue on the challenge other than my disjointed description.

So, gently caress :golfclap:

Take that in good health, old son, and enjoy it. It is well earned.