Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It is not an exaggeration to say that it is unconditionally compulsory for anybody interested in the creative industry, from cinema to animation to writing and even music, to watch and immerse themselves in the cartoon Adventure Time, and consume every single fan media produced including TV tropes pages and sexually implicit artwork and fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

AC/DC is a terrible band.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arguing about which TV show or movie is better is a pointless nerd slap fight.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

Venture Bros is better than them both.

I agree.

But I have a real unpopular opinion which is that Steven Universe is mostly good because it is really funny, and without being really funny the rest of it wouldn't be that great.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Arguing about which TV show or movie is better is a pointless nerd slap fight.

Arguing in general is pointless because to this day no-one has ever changed their mind about a single thing due to an argument.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I watched Steven Universe a few times and it seemed really dumb and kiddy. It didnt makensense why it was so popular to me.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Jastiger posted:

I watched Steven Universe a few times and it seemed really dumb and kiddy. It didnt makensense why it was so popular to me.

It has that thing going for it where if you say you don't like it people are like "why, do you hate black/fat/non-gender-conforming people?" and nobody wants to be those things.

That said, nobody should watch that show unless they are a) a kid or b) are a parent with a kid watching it and indulging them.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
Whenever I see that a local teenage girl posts that she is "an artist", I know with a sinking certainty that she'll have at least one child at 16 with our local male criminals who will subsequently abandon both of them, repeat the same cycle constantly, and end up a gibbering, drug-hosed mess at 30.

I've been 100% accurate, so far.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jastiger posted:

it takes a while to get going, you can skip like the first 2/3 of the first season

Pick posted:

I agree.

But I have a real unpopular opinion which is that Steven Universe is mostly good because it is really funny, and without being really funny the rest of it wouldn't be that great.

weirdo

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The television show South Park has slowly evolved from its right wing roots into complete leftist and liberal propaganda, and why anybody should take it seriously at this point is a mystery.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The television show South Park has slowly evolved from its right wing roots into complete leftist and liberal propaganda, and why anybody should take it seriously at this point is a mystery.

The show that spent an entire season ripping on PC culture just last year is now liberal propaganda. Well alright then.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

why anybody should take it seriously at this point is a mystery.

I think you're unclear about the concept of comedy.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

I agree.

That's a biiiig part of why I just can't like it. The humor and dialogue fall completely flat for me. I do like the variety of designs, the palette and the songs are charming, but I'll just look at its artwork or check a clip on YouTube rather than slog through the show.

Unpopular opinion: I like found footage films. If done correctly, they have a 70's-like quality of grittiness and unease to them.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I keep trying to like SU, because it really is good and stuff, but it's just some sort of personal incompatibility, I can only take one ep at a time. It's so full of empathy and "it's okay to be different" crap that I just gotta take it slow.

Content:

- As much as everyone loves a good beefsteak, I honestly think that, overall, I like pork more. Bonus that it's 1/10th the price sometimes.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aramek posted:

I keep trying to like SU, because it really is good and stuff, but it's just some sort of personal incompatibility, I can only take one ep at a time. It's so full of empathy and "it's okay to be different" crap that I just gotta take it slow.

Content:

- As much as everyone loves a good beefsteak, I honestly think that, overall, I like pork more. Bonus that it's 1/10th the price sometimes.

Iowa chop fan spotted. <3.

Phuo: old movies and stuff suck. The level of acting talent today is far and away better than anything from the old school famous actors. Romanticizing them is a bit foolish imo. Respect them for blazing trails, but John Wayne is in no way close to say, Bruce Willis in acting ability.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The popularity and general objectively good writing of Dan Harmon's Rick & Morty, despite its offensive nature, is proof that Cartoon Network should stop bothering with children's tripe like Gumball and Steven Universe, and just go full adult with as much ironic and reference-heavy humour in 2017 moving forward.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

JnnyThndrs posted:

I think you're unclear about the concept of comedy.

It's pretty obvious he's reposting stuff from somewhere else.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I didn't even finish the Harry Potter series because only the first three books are any good whatsoever.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

double post!

The Saddest Rhino has a new favorite as of 08:43 on Dec 5, 2016

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

If Kung Fu Panda 3's success is any testament, all future major animation productions should be collaborations between American and Chinese companies, regardless of ethical or quality control.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
This kind of low-effort trolling doesn't work very well when there are people in this topic with actual opinions more outrageous than the ones you're posting

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The only solution to ensuring all anime from Japan is as good as Cowboy Bebop, is to employ a nationwide eugenics programme which cull every person who cannot animate well, hikikomoris, and elderly people.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

and Southerners

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
TNG is the best Trek series, and everything since then has been trying to desperately chase the popular success it got to varying levels of failure. DS9 tried by being Not Your Mama's Trek, Voyager tried by being More Of The Same Trek, and Enterprise failed because by that time the mainstream/casual folks that watched TNG moved on to other things.

Hell, let's make this a two-for-one: Trek is at its best when its episodic. Space ship goes to a place, stuff happens, they move on. I dig serialized content as much as the next guy, but Trek for me is explicitly episodic.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Pick posted:

I didn't even finish the Harry Potter series because only the first three books are any good whatsoever.

You're not wrong, but this is only unpopular with the sort of people who include their Pottermore houses in their Facebook profiles.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

MisterBibs posted:

TNG is the best Trek series, and everything since then has been trying to desperately chase the popular success it got to varying levels of failure. DS9 tried by being Not Your Mama's Trek, Voyager tried by being More Of The Same Trek, and Enterprise failed because by that time the mainstream/casual folks that watched TNG moved on to other things.

Hell, let's make this a two-for-one: Trek is at its best when its episodic. Space ship goes to a place, stuff happens, they move on. I dig serialized content as much as the next guy, but Trek for me is explicitly episodic.

gently caress TNG

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jastiger posted:

Iowa chop fan spotted. <3.

Phuo: old movies and stuff suck. The level of acting talent today is far and away better than anything from the old school famous actors. Romanticizing them is a bit foolish imo. Respect them for blazing trails, but John Wayne is in no way close to say, Bruce Willis in acting ability.

North by Northwest exists, so that can't possibly be true.

Seriously though, I think this is true to a point, but a lot of it comes from the evolution of acting as styles evolved away from their stage and silent film roots. I don't think that makes older movies any less worthwhile, but you've got to be in the right frame. I also don't think it's really relevant once you hit like the 70s.

And so help me if you're going to tell me that Shia LaBeouf is a better actor than Cary Grant, Jastiger. SO HELP ME.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MisterBibs posted:

TNG is the best Trek series, and ... is at its best when its episodic.
Agreed. The best way to watch Star Trek is to start with season 2 of TNG and skip all the Borg episodes (and never watch any of the other shows or movies). There's still some bad episodes in the mix, but you'll eliminate the worst without losing much.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There are a poo poo-ton of old-time great actors, even by today's standards. Every-drat-body in 12 Angry Men, for instance. Marlon Brando, Bette Davis, Peter Lorre, Gregory Peck, Max von Sydow... Anthony Perkins was so stellar it ruined his career. And are we only considering drama here? Because It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Mad World is funnier than 99% of modern comedies.

gently caress, I love old movies. I wanna watch Arsenic and Old Lace.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bork music videos are boring.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

People who identify as gamer, yet do not have all three of the Dark souls game installed in their system of choice, are the reason a Trump presidency is imminent.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

fruit on the bottom posted:

North by Northwest exists, so that can't possibly be true.

Seriously though, I think this is true to a point, but a lot of it comes from the evolution of acting as styles evolved away from their stage and silent film roots. I don't think that makes older movies any less worthwhile, but you've got to be in the right frame. I also don't think it's really relevant once you hit like the 70s.

And so help me if you're going to tell me that Shia LaBeouf is a better actor than Cary Grant, Jastiger. SO HELP ME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwsOdsxDZh0

Is far better than

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHat1vlUOM8

Sorry bro.

Just like the one from more recent is far better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMG8DhwvrGg

its just evolved into a much more complicated and nuanced craft than what the old school folks did. They aren't on the same level.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Food tastes better with minimal seasoning. Spices were historically used to make rotten food and garbage cuts of meat palatable, there is no reason to drown your food in spices in 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gentle pete posted:

Food tastes better with minimal seasoning. Spices were historically used to make rotten food and garbage cuts of meat palatable, there is no reason to drown your food in spices in 2016

Buh buh buh but what would I post about on Facebook if I didn't put 400000000000-scoville peppers in everything?!?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pierce Brosnan is the best James Bond there's been (but he only had one good movie and one okay movie).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

gentle pete posted:

I'd say "balanced" rather than minimal. Spices are an important part of cooking and are far more than just bad flavor maskers no matter how they were originally used. The difference between say a boneless skinless chicken breast with no spices and one with just a little salt/pepper is night and day.

I agree with the wheat loaf about pierce brosnan too. Sean Connery second best.

I can't tell if Jastiger is trying to be serious by using Bruce Willis and Shia Labeouf of all people as examples of great actors, but either way it's a silly opinion. You even say yourself they aren't comparable. New technology and different filming styles allow them to do different things, and yes generally they are better but it's not fair to say it's because of talent. Resurrect John Wayne or whatever and put him in a blockbuster movie and he'd most likely do just as well as any modern actor you can name. It's like saying golfers 100 years ago who had to use wooden clubs and inferior balls are less talented than golfers today. It's more about technology than talent.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Resurrect John Wayne or whatever and put him in a blockbuster movie and he'd most likely do just as well as any modern actor you can name.

His name is Clint Eastwood.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

People who identify as gamer, yet do not have all three of the Dark souls game installed in their system of choice, are the reason a Trump presidency is imminent.

Yeah, I try to be straight up with people. "I play a lot of video games, but a lot of them are nonsense."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I agree with the wheat loaf about pierce brosnan too. Sean Connery second best.

Connery created a character who was different from the books; his Bond was a posh roughneck like the character in the books but for the most part his negative attributes (the misogyny, the drunkenness, the penchant for excessive violence etc.) were present but downplayed. Obviously Moore played the suave, cartoonish 1970s super-spy character while Dalton and Craig are closer to the novels (Dalton is probably closest, actually). I think Brosnan's take did the best job of combining both versions of the character.

Like, you've got Craig who's explicitly described by M as a "blunt instrument" - he's a thug in a suit. Put in the same terms, Brosnan plays him like a surgeon's scalpel if that makes any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Dutch is the ugliest language in the world