Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Raskolnikov posted:

Pick up the shitpost...

I .. I don't want to shitpost, mister...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Randarkman posted:

Being lazy here but how do they go about making that a TV show? I mean I've seen the movie West World, and from what I remember it was basically just a theme park with robotic people, there's West World where you go to saloons and gun down a robot version of the dude from Magnificent Seven, and then there's Medieval World which is endless feasting and court stuff and Roman world which is just orgies. Then the whole thing just goes haywire and the robots lose their inhibitions and start murdering people, particularly the West World gunslinger who's kind of like the Terminator of the movie. The heroes have to run away from him and try to fix things or atleast stop the robots.

How is that a series?
It's hard to explain how it is, but it uses the movie heritage very well and subverts it in a few places to good effect. It's just a really rich story about storytelling that manages to build a :lost: level of intricacy while having an actual endgame planned out.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

moveable shape posted:

Look at this poo poo. I cannot believe how much money has been wasted by this project.

Here is a polished useless asset we sold you. Oh the game? That isn't made yet but in the mean time please witness our ability to waste money and dev time for the illusion of progress. Thanks and don't forget to pick up that next special ship with fresh cash

I am screaming at the computer game.

Don't scream too hard, friend. In the end, most of the backers deserve what they get. They want to support it with apparent millions of dollars, nothing you can do to stop them. Just smile and watch the show.

The good part will be when they finally realize how screwed they are getting. That may be a few more "non-playable demos" later, but it'll happen eventually. :shobon:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tokamak posted:

if you have an old or lower end phone, a massive image/gif dump can make the browser crawl.

star citizen is a pc master race poster child, please don't play it on a phone

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

D_Smart posted:

Just in time for the upcoming holiday sale, the chairman sent out another newsletter (this is the anniversary sale one) ahead of the upcoming holiday sale. It's not live on RSI yet, but start laughing. He actually wrote this:

"For those keeping track, we got Alpha 2.6 made the release window forecast from the Production Schedule Report"

Remember when I said they pushed 2.6 out on 11-30 in order to claim that it was "released"?

Technically correct is a form of correct I suppose. Not sure where they can go from here though since it was 2.6 then AMAZING THINGS WITH 3.0!

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
lol nice helmet reflections

So the helmet reflects the hangar, but not the ship?
I'm not even gonna try to understand how that's possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHnK-8evBXA

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ripptide posted:

That's it exactly. Just like the layout for the Starfarer, it makes very little practical sense if you were designing the ship for function, but works fairly well as an FPS level. Looks like all the larger ships are in for the flying FPS arena treatment.

This is like office levels in Doom maps.

"Yeah, Jeff. Need you at the meeting room now. It's through the left door, over the radioactive water trap, and through the dark room with the pulsating lights. And for crying out loud, will you please remember your red keycard this time? I can't afford more workers comp cases this year."

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Hi, hope you're all enjoying hating the videogame. this is just a quick reminder for you to call or visit your parents wherever possible because they love and care about you

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

thatguy posted:

You suck INRI. Tell Arf and all those other guys to come back and sperg out here so I don't have to go to FYAD to laugh at them.

If you want to give someone a message then you should tell them yourself. I'll do it for $20 though :-)

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Lets all come together, Games, FYAD, ADTRW in this Chrismas season and remind ourselves that the truly worst forum is D&D anyway

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Do you think Ben cries himself to sleep every night?

What do the tears taste like?

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

lol nice helmet reflections

So the helmet reflects the hangar, but not the ship?
I'm not even gonna try to understand how that's possible.

Usual reflection cubemaps, easiest form of reflection possible. Nothing unusual here. They will never change to screen space reflections due to the heavy impact on performance.

ahmini
May 5, 2009

darkarchon posted:

Usual reflection cubemaps, easiest form of reflection possible. Nothing unusual here. They will never change to screen space reflections due to the heavy impact on performance.

This is the CRobbler we're talking about, watch him demand real-time ray-tracing in his pursuit of fidelity. No cheating allowed!

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

darkarchon posted:

I see, did not know that.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Randarkman posted:

Being lazy here but how do they go about making that a TV show? I mean I've seen the movie West World, and from what I remember it was basically just a theme park with robotic people, there's West World where you go to saloons and gun down a robot version of the dude from Magnificent Seven, and then there's Medieval World which is endless feasting and court stuff and Roman world which is just orgies. Then the whole thing just goes haywire and the robots lose their inhibitions and start murdering people, particularly the West World gunslinger who's kind of like the Terminator of the movie. The heroes have to run away from him and try to fix things or atleast stop the robots.

How is that a series?
Because the series is about what happens when you gently caress around with AIs and treat them like trash. It's not Terminator, it's more the film version of "I, Robot".

Raskolnikov posted:

100% serious posting, just go watch it. You will be surprised.
This X1000. Westworld is a great show.

:siren: HUGE SPOILERS ABOUT THE FINAL EPISODE DO NOT READ :siren:

I couldn't help but get a huge Chris Roberts vibe from the whole thing. Why the gently caress did Ford go out of his way to torture these creatures for 3 decades and make them really loving loathe us before being allowed to retain their sentience? He had three loving decades to prepare the ground for a peaceful integration of AIs into human society, he could have downgraded the Hosts a little so they weren't capable of self-wareness and kept the ones that had already attained sentience secret, protected and above all cherished and made to feel like their creators loved them.
In time he could start raising the ethical questions of "should we keep AIs as slaves if they ever became sentient" before even revealing that sentience had already been attained. It could have all worked out for the best if they kept it simple.
Instead, he ironically wrote himself into a corner where the only way forward is war between humanity and the AIs. He deliberately wrote the extinction of his species.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 5, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I see, did not know that.

I don't care what it is, when you are stood face to face with a commando and you have no reflection it looks stupid

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Cheesecake and "ironic" pedophilia.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Wuxi posted:

Lets all come together, Games, FYAD, ADTRW in this Chrismas season and remind ourselves that the truly worst forum is D&D anyway

Follow this catte's motions against all D&D discussion

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Daztek posted:

https://vid.me/1Fys

this is amazing

almost pgabz worthy

My favorite part is that the most effective way to kill someone wearing advanced hard-plate armor is to hit them with the stock of your rifle.

Plebian Armor Vulnerable to Butt Stroking

Super Advanced Armor with Revolutionary Anti-Butt Stroke Technology

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Derek Smart is my Dark Archon.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Ima bet "Baskin Robins"

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I like how the ship design is not conducive to anyone being outside their suits ever. The lunch room is an airlock!

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016
pgabz, I really do request "Yakitty Sax" for your (inevitable) upcoming opus on SM.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

darkarchon posted:

You still have the best av/title combo and it makes me happy every time I see it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Remember when CIG just closed all their support tickets because there were so many of them and said that if it was important the person will just make another one?

Good times.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Remember when CIG just closed all their support tickets because there were so many of them and said that if it was important the person will just make another one?

Good times.

This game has extremely good lore.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Nickiepoo posted:

You still have the best av/title combo and it makes me happy every time I see it.

Thanks, but someone just bought it and I have no idea who it actually was.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5gm991/i_know_one_day_im_going_to_see_this_and_i_just/

:allears:

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
The utter contempt they show their customers at every level of the organization is what makes CIG stick out from any other random lovely company. I mean it makes sense.

How can you have genuine respect for a customer if you shovel poo poo in their mouths for years and they still pay you thousands of bucks for nothing? You can't. I can see why they've given up.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Guys, I think we were wrong, I'm buying back in (under a different name so they don't shame me too bad).

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

So the leaked video of star marine means Derek lost his toxx right?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheLightPurges posted:

The utter contempt they show their customers at every level of the organization is what makes CIG stick out from any other random lovely company. I mean it makes sense.

How can you have genuine respect for a customer if you shovel poo poo in their mouths for years and they still pay you thousands of bucks for nothing? You can't. I can see why they've given up.

Why wouldn't they? :reddit: is full of "well everyone is conservatively expecting 2.6 not to come out this year so you're just spreading FUD".

"The joke is on you, goonies, we knew CIG was making GBS threads in our mouths all along!" :smuggo:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Decrepus posted:

Guys, I think we were wrong, I'm buying back in (under a different name so they don't shame me too bad).

Good luck fellow unleaver, I tried to rebuy but they caught me and force-refunded me again

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

It's hard to explain how it is, but it uses the movie heritage very well and subverts it in a few places to good effect. It's just a really rich story about storytelling that manages to build a :lost: level of intricacy while having an actual endgame planned out.

Really I see it as more of a discussions about the pitfalls and responsibilities of artificial intelligence.

And, seeing as three different people have given you three different interpretations, maybe that's a sign it isn't as shallow as you think it is, and perhaps worth a watch to make your own decision.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

darkarchon posted:

I think in your heart of hearts you know what will happen when Chris Roberts learns that they are not reflecting the real scene, but instead using a non-genuine reflection map. :allears:

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Wrecked Angle posted:

Who actually made this gif? It's the absolute closest thing to cig.gif that exists.

It's just so perfect, Chris just riding his spaceship dreams through a faked universe blissfully unaware of the deception that's going on beneath him*. And why should he care? As long as the money keeps coming in his ride continues, never getting any closer to his imagined destination. Down front the 2 'faces of the community' do what ever they can to keep shovelling money into the Star Citizen dream machine, while Sandi skillfully oversees the whole charade with her unique management style.

*I don't actually believe CR is unaware of the deception. gently caress Chris Roberts.

I made it, and thanks! I had never made and pixel art stuff so that was fun.

I also made the Stimperior gif with Jared and Ben looking lovingly into his cold dead tortured eyes for page 2000 or something and PGABZ beat me with the snipe. And the Derek clock! I don't post much but I like making gifs.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Possibly sugar. Not even joking.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

They taste like diabetes.

WLMortis
Sep 28, 2001
Nebulosis Defunctus
Slippery Tilde

darkarchon posted:

Thanks, but someone just bought it and I have no idea who it actually was.

Hey man. I thought such a good avatar should be on someone who actually posts in the thread occasionally. :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My favorite part is that the most effective way to kill someone wearing advanced hard-plate armor is to hit them with the stock of your rifle.

Plebian Armor Vulnerable to Butt Stroking

Super Advanced Armor with Revolutionary Anti-Butt Stroke Technology

On a very serious note... what in the gently caress is with that armor? It looks like absolute poo poo. It's impractical to say the least. I can't even come up with the correct terms to explain how stupid Croberts designs are.