Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

WLMortis posted:

Hey man. I thought such a good avatar should be on someone who actually posts in the thread occasionally. :hfive:

Thanks I'm the silent minority here :hfive: posting seldom but it's ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

grimcreaper posted:

On a very serious note... what in the gently caress is with that armor? It looks like absolute poo poo. It's impractical to say the least. I can't even come up with the correct terms to explain how stupid Croberts designs are.

Agreed. It appears to be lacking the crotch ventilation system that Mark Hamil's armor had.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/805673085940568064

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

grimcreaper posted:

On a very serious note... what in the gently caress is with that armor? It looks like absolute poo poo. It's impractical to say the least. I can't even come up with the correct terms to explain how stupid Croberts designs are.

croberts design = steal stuff and jam on greebling until you can't fit anymore

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

Because the series is about what happens when you gently caress around with AIs and treat them like trash. It's not Terminator, it's more the film version of "I, Robot".

This X1000. Westworld is a great show.

:siren: HUGE SPOILERS ABOUT THE FINAL EPISODE DO NOT READ :siren:

I couldn't help but get a huge Chris Roberts vibe from the whole thing. Why the gently caress did Ford go out of his way to torture these creatures for 3 decades and make them really loving loathe us before being allowed to retain their sentience? He had three loving decades to prepare the ground for a peaceful integration of AIs into human society, he could have downgraded the Hosts a little so they weren't capable of self-wareness and kept the ones that had already attained sentience secret, protected and above all cherished and made to feel like their creators loved them.
In time he could start raising the ethical questions of "should we keep AIs as slaves if they ever became sentient" before even revealing that sentience had already been attained. It could have all worked out for the best if they kept it simple.
Instead, he ironically wrote himself into a corner where the only way forward is war between humanity and the AIs. He deliberately wrote the extinction of his species.

God, whose law it is
that he who learns must suffer.
And even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget
falls drop by drop upon the heart,
and in our own despite, against our will,
comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

brakanjan
May 26, 2014
Wow, almost the end of 2016 and still nothing and I remember when I was excited to dogfight in my Freelancer. Thought they might at least have a single player out by now. Beer are you still banned?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

God, whose law it is
fyi this is from aeschylus, the michael bay of his time

he also factors into bicameralism

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

grimcreaper posted:

Croberts played the first dead space and didn't realize that your suit of armour was supposed to be a clunky piece of poo poo.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Decrepus posted:

Agreed. It appears to be lacking the crotch ventilation system that Mark Hamil's armor had.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

God, whose law it is

Put the Hosts in MeatgrinderWorld, where odds are that every other week the ground opens up under your feet and you get shred to pieces. When they attain sentience appear to them as saving angels releasing them from hell. If suffering is key you don't want to imprint a human face on it.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Just in time for the upcoming holiday sale, the chairman sent out another newsletter (this is the anniversary sale one) ahead of the upcoming holiday sale. It's not live on RSI yet, but start laughing. He actually wrote this:

"For those keeping track, we got Alpha 2.6 made the release window forecast from the Production Schedule Report"

Remember when I said they pushed 2.6 out on 11-30 in order to claim that it was "released"?

If this is true it's pretty funny. They had an amazing sale and are just copying the method, a long missive lying to the idiot backers.

"As you can see, We technically, through some forms of argument, met our own self imposed deadline five years into the project on a completely unimportant single patch that is six months late, and are now only almost three years late.

We value you as a community. Family. Togetherness.

.....buy more ships"

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

ripptide posted:

Ima bet "Baskin Roberts"

FTFY

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Was wondering why the Star Citizen thread hadn't updated in 3 days.

Also closing before page 6666? :sad:

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

SirPhoebos posted:

Was wondering why the Star Citizen thread hadn't updated in 3 days.

Also closing before page 6666? :sad:

If Derek releases the long awaited ELE funding tracker blog I'm sure Beer and Beat can be convinced to reopen the thread for magic 6666.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

Put the Hosts in MeatgrinderWorld, where odds are that every other week the ground opens up under your feet and you get shred to pieces. When they attain sentience appear to them as saving angels releasing them from hell. If suffering is key you don't want to imprint a human face on it.
I think it was more like he was teaching them that human beings are complete garbage and should be wiped off the face of the earth

mission accomplished

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

spacetoaster posted:

Remember when CIG just closed all their support tickets because there were so many of them and said that if it was important the person will just make another one?

Good times.

This happened right around the Beer exchange went public. I'm willing to bet this purge took place because it would also make key people at CIG, like Sandi, look like fools. So nuking everything was the only obvious tactic to do to keep the full extent of these email chains from spreading.

I may be wrong, but it feels like something an 8 year old would do to keep themselves out of trouble, and I've learned that's usually the level of maturity CIG takes when dealing with problems. :shrug:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

I think it was more like he was teaching them that human beings are complete garbage and should be wiped off the face of the earth

mission accomplished
its funny because star citizen is teaching me the exact same thing

Daffan
Feb 24, 2013

Daztek posted:

Star Citizen will also have a PVP SLIDER, they can just set it to NO GOONS

Like most ideas CR/Devs have had about Star Citizen, the PvP slider was an idea they came up with on the spot to placate the PvE players, without thinking through how it would be balanced or actually work in the game - so they've pulled the plug on it IIRC.

Other famous CR ideas that have been stated here and there, but CiG have no idea how it will actually work in the game, let alone the implementation.

Agent Smithing function.
9:1 NPC:Player ratio.
Each random NPC has their own lives and are like real players. Don't just randomly appear/disappear
NPC crews are fully independent with wants/needs.
Living breathing economy that is ran by NPC's and can be dynamically affected by players.
Massive 200+ people fleet battles, with full crews aboard each ship with magic instancing.
Character aging and some sort of permadeath features. (I cant wait until people rage against this)

All this coming right after they work out the Flight Model and Controls.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

TheAgent posted:

Star Citizen taught me many things.

The meaning of mental gymnastics.
The idea of a sunk cost fallacy.

Suffering.
Pleasure.
Schadenfreude.

How 500 years of absolute misery and degeneracy can be summed up into just a few short paragraphs.

The importance of bun-buns, kittons, and doggos.

Parp.

And above all, the need to :justpost:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Star Citizen taught me about fremdschämen, and for that I am eternally grateful.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Propagandist posted:

Star Citizen taught me many things.

The meaning of mental gymnastics.
The idea of a sunk cost fallacy.

Suffering.
Pleasure.
Schadenfreude.

How 500 years of absolute misery and degeneracy can be summed up into just a few short paragraphs.

The importance of bun-buns, kittons, and doggos.

Parp.

And above all, the need to :justpost:

http://i.imgur.com/qlvhe2N.gifv

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

no_recall posted:

When players can begin to grind for credits / UEC / Alpha tokens, yes.
No, I meant having a Chinese embassy go after Chris's throat for Xian.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
is the game out yet?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

It's questionable whether or not the whales are sentient.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Star Citizen taught me how to shitpost.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nickiepoo posted:

Star Citizen taught me how to shitpost.

Star Citizen taught me how to speed-read shitposts.

MeLKoR posted:

Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a thing, as meatspace is proving.

vvvv Very nearly snorted coffee. Very nearly.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

MeLKoR posted:

so Derek Smart is Arnold in this analogy?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

so Derek Smart is Arnold in this analogy?

Derek is William.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

peter gabriel posted:

So I went to this nerdfest thing today with the boy and MY WIFE - It was good, because my son is still only 6 and was in his full Dart Vader outfit he gets all the 'awwww' factor stuff off the people there - all the dudes dressed as storm troopers and stuff that were walking around kept bowing and saluting him, all the ones dressed as Han Solo etc ran for cover, it was the most :3: day just for that, nerds have gone way up in my estimations, it was so fun.

There was also some good nerd models there, like this Hull E Battlestar Galactica ship

And this

And it all kicked off in the Squadron 42 demo Cantina

Anyway that was my day thanks for reading

d'awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :3

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
You think one of the artists is trying to tell the backers something?

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

nawledgelambo posted:

You think one of the artists is trying to tell the backers something?

Someone please tell me that "honesty" is a real setting in actual aircraft otherwise I don't know what to think.

e: also I'm the feet that clip through the pedals

e2: no on second thought I'm the hands that clip through the yoke

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

trucutru posted:

Croberts played the first dead space and didn't realize that your suit of armour was supposed to be a clunky piece of poo poo.

I liked the look of armor in dead space though.. Croberts armor just looks like poo poo tacked onto poo poo for the hell of it.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Wrecked Angle posted:

Who actually made this gif? It's the absolute closest thing to cig.gif that exists.

It's just so perfect, Chris just riding his spaceship dreams through a faked universe blissfully unaware of the deception that's going on beneath him*. And why should he care? As long as the money keeps coming in his ride continues, never getting any closer to his imagined destination. Down front the 2 'faces of the community' do what ever they can to keep shovelling money into the Star Citizen dream machine, while Sandi skillfully oversees the whole charade with her unique management style.

*I don't actually believe CR is unaware of the deception. gently caress Chris Roberts.

In the hornless version of the PAX 2014 stream:

"Look at the g forces! You guys wanted real physics, right! This is real Newtonian physics! Whoops I'm going backwards! Errrrrrrrr Newtonian mode OFF! See now I'm in decoupled mode... :downs:"

loving liar.

"It was working fine a minute ago!"

Fe: thanks everyone who told me what noclip is. Yep, that's loving noclip.

:laugh:, just :laugh:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Randarkman posted:

Being lazy here but how do they go about making that a TV show? I mean I've seen the movie West World, and from what I remember it was basically just a theme park with robotic people, there's West World where you go to saloons and gun down a robot version of the dude from Magnificent Seven, and then there's Medieval World which is endless feasting and court stuff and Roman world which is just orgies. Then the whole thing just goes haywire and the robots lose their inhibitions and start murdering people, particularly the West World gunslinger who's kind of like the Terminator of the movie. The heroes have to run away from him and try to fix things or atleast stop the robots.

How is that a series?

think ex-machina with some more T+A and bad acting. Hopkins is good but meh - already done a few times now the idea.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi, hope you're all enjoying hating the videogame. this is just a quick reminder for you to call or visit your parents wherever possible because they love and care about you

did yesterday and about to now!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Star Citizen taught me about fremdschämen, and for that I am eternally grateful.

:same:

I hope we get an English word for it some day because it's perfect. I suggest "Robbertsed".

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

:stare: The Star Citizen saga has it all.

If by "it all" you mean "a disproportionately, unsettlingly tolerant atmosphere for pedophiles"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

But, Cymelonhead, the SAG did help someone with threats and lawsuits to get their money from crobbler. His name was Kevin Costner.