Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi, hope you're all enjoying hating the videogame. this is just a quick reminder for you to call or visit your parents wherever possible because they love and care about you

Hey, I'm a big fan of your work, seen all movies.

At school, the teacher would take us to a dedicated movie room to watch an exciting movie. It was the 80's, and we never got to see Rambo or Arnold, it was always about your work.

Been a huge fan since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

nawledgelambo posted:

You think one of the artists is trying to tell the backers something?

Whoa. There is definitely some dissent within the ranks. I hope they have a good Christmas too. It's a good thing Christmas is on a Saturday and Sunday this year so Chris can give them only a 5 day work week with crunch hours instead of maybe miss that extra day or two.

Of course he already has his Hawaii Christmas vacation booked and won't be in the office that week or two.

Set Honesty slider to 0, friend!

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

intardnation posted:

did yesterday and about to now!

Good to hear. i hope they're well

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

JugbandDude posted:

Hey, I'm a big fan of your work, seen all movies.

At school, the teacher would take us to a dedicated movie room to watch an exciting movie. It was the 80's, and we never got to see Rambo or Arnold, it was always about your work.

Been a huge fan since.

Thank you. Personally I think my best work was Der Ewige Jude

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

nawledgelambo posted:

It's me, I'm the 12-sided "round" cartoon button from Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)

(stop doxxing me)

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

nawledgelambo posted:

If this is what it appears to be it's amazingly unsubtle, maybe someone made it before quitting or being fired.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Xaerael posted:

No probs. I was never going to ban anyone if I won anyway.

It got rid of Marching Powder. Someone who's primary non- contribution to the thread was unironically whining about how people were not contributing to the thread. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was his "I'm not sexist, but..." post about another poster who has contributed a ton to the thread. He expected the thread to act as his personal army of performing monkeys, while suffering his occasional sexism and homo/transphobia.

He will be remembered by the single post where he contributed the most he could to the thread.

Truly the pinnacle of literary genius. He will be sorely missed. And by sorely missed I mean not at all, because he never loving contributed a thing other than one word reactions and meltdowns about how people were not entertaining him.

*channels fyad morality* This post is as embarrassing as anything pulled from the dregs of /dereksmart. Basically nothing you wrote is real dude.

MP was pointed and funny until fyad gimmick locusts arrived. Maybe your pov is different because he shat on you constantly?

Anyway this being the last post on the matter I wanna say cat cookies were incredibly more funny than MPs last post. The little space ship shaped cookie was adorable

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Sandweed posted:

They mentioned FYAD on the giant beastcast this weekend and I remembered this thread and the great FYAD threat. Now I know what it is to feel grief.

hi, can u give me some further info about this? whats beastcast? what did they say about fyad? thank you :0)

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I.N.R.I posted:

hi, can u give me some further info about this? whats beastcast? what did they say about fyad? thank you :0)

Hi, they asked Something Awful Forums Poster I.N.R.I to please call or visit their parents wherever possible because they love and care about them.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

moveable shape posted:

*channels fyad morality* This post is as embarrassing as anything pulled from the dregs of /dereksmart. Basically nothing you wrote is real dude.

MP was pointed and funny until fyad gimmick locusts arrived. Maybe your pov is different because he shat on you constantly?

Anyway this being the last post on the matter I wanna say cat cookies were incredibly more funny than MPs last post. The little space ship shaped cookie was adorable

I would rather eat cat cookies than those 2 week old dusted cat turds that Scandinavian idiot posted in the last thread

Seriously, you want me to seal cookies in a container for weeks on end- and only then will they be "just right"? gently caress you.

In all seriousness, that thread was getting big for the sake of being big. Endless contentless posts just to artificially increase the page count. Bad thread mechanics, new refactor fixed everything :evilbuddy:

E: somebody find that post for my daily Two Minutes' Hate :argh:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

moveable shape posted:

IDK whether this is a joke post or not. :confused:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I would rather eat cat cookies than those 2 week old dusted cat turds that Scandinavian idiot posted in the last thread

Seriously, you want me to seal cookies in a container for weeks on end- and only then will they be "just right"? gently caress you.

In all seriousness, that thread was getting big for the sake of being big. Endless contentless posts just to artificially increase the page count. Bad thread mechanics, new refactor fixed everything :evilbuddy:

E: somebody find that post for my daily Two Minutes' Hate :argh:

are fresh cat turds better?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

are fresh cat turds better?

Apparently they have to sit in a dark airless tin for about a fortnight, then the fuckin danes are all over em

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

croberts design = steal stuff and jam on greebling until you can't fit anymore

...then make it all articulated for no discernible reason, with 8 fragile spindly moving parts that serve absolutely no purpose, with lengthy drawn out animations that clip through everything.

Now it's time to refactor.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Thoatse posted:

...then make it all articulated for no discernible reason, with 8 fragile spindly moving parts that serve absolutely no purpose, with lengthy drawn out animations that clip through everything.

Now it's time to refactor.

croberts is the skyrim modder who makes a dagger with 128k polygons and an 8k texture.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

MeLKoR posted:

Put the Hosts in MeatgrinderWorld, where odds are that every other week the ground opens up under your feet and you get shred to pieces. When they attain sentience appear to them as saving angels releasing them from hell. If suffering is key you don't want to imprint a human face on it.

Put the Hosts in the 4th Stimpire.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Apparently they have to sit in a dark airless tin for about a fortnight, then the fuckin danes are all over em

You're wrong concerning both fortnight and danes

Maybe you should read the thread again

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

staring at all series DVDs on my shelf now

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

croberts is the skyrim modder who makes a dagger with 128k polygons and an 8k texture.

You're close, except it's butt plugs. And they aren't visible when equipped. Just knowing the fidelity is in him is good enough.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

You're wrong concerning both fortnight and danes

Maybe you should read the thread again

Cymelion_bitchmade_canned_debate_response.txt

I'd look for the real thing but :effort:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

intardnation posted:

think ex-machina with some more T+A and bad acting. Hopkins is good but meh - already done a few times now the idea.

Just watched the first episode. Seems interesting enough. But, yeah, really more of an ex-machina kind of deal than what the original West World was, which (as I described) is pretty much Jurassic Park crossed with the Terminator (before either of those movies existed) in a wild west setting.

I thought there was surprisingly little TnA for an HBO show to be honest, all there was in the in the first episode was basically the robots standing or sitting emotionlessly naked while being interviewed, which at least served a narrative function of dehumanizing and degrading them (as compared to Game of Thrones which pretty much is just gratuitous).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 5, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
What the gently caress is this poo poo

I mean,

quote:

Recalibration of a misaligned audio processor can be accomplished via pressing a sequence of eight buttons associated with musical notes to match a test melody whose length is dictated by the extent of the failure. Carefully soldering a loose connection – while ensuring that the main circuit board isn’t damaged in the process – can remedy contact failures.

:sterv:

and that was like $70 million ago

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Daffan posted:

Like most ideas CR/Devs have had about Star Citizen, the PvP slider was an idea they came up with on the spot to placate the PvE players, without thinking through how it would be balanced or actually work in the game - so they've pulled the plug on it IIRC.

Other famous CR ideas that have been stated here and there, but CiG have no idea how it will actually work in the game, let alone the implementation.

Agent Smithing function.
9:1 NPC:Player ratio.
Each random NPC has their own lives and are like real players. Don't just randomly appear/disappear
NPC crews are fully independent with wants/needs.
Living breathing economy that is ran by NPC's and can be dynamically affected by players.
Massive 200+ people fleet battles, with full crews aboard each ship with magic instancing.
Character aging and some sort of permadeath features. (I cant wait until people rage against this)

All this coming right after they work out the Flight Model and Controls.

Their inability to make a flight model that doesn't suck or come even remotely close to what was pitched is what let me know this game will never be what it was sold as, and years of crobbling have only solidified that conclusion.

They can't even make the most basic part of a space sim function in a way that doesn't make them a joke or liars, plus as a company are too stupid to realize 'they had one job' and are failing miserably at it. My brain initially shifted into skepticism with cr's first ridiculously long
run of mocapping. That set the tone and stage of everything that has followed, only now there's so much more and it's so much worse.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I just hit page 6360 in the old thread. Side plot about to wrap up :thumbsup:

crisp roberts
Oct 13, 2016

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

In a way CIG really reminds me of a modding team. The starting aspiration, the clunky tech demos, a bastardized version of an already released game, overpromising and internal struggles. Sure, sometimes great mods come out, but much more fail though.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Randarkman posted:

Just watched the first episode. Seems interesting enough, but really more of an ex-machina kind of deal than what the original West World was, which (as I described) is pretty much Jurassic Park crossed with the Terminator (before either of those movies existed) in a wild west setting.

I thought there was surprisingly little TnA for an HBO show to be honest, all there was in the in the first episode was basically the robots standing or sitting emotionlessly naked while being interviewed, which at least served a narrative function of dehumanizing and degrading them (as compared to Game of Thrones which pretty much is just gratuitous).

There is a little more later on including an orgy scene. Ya the naked thing - I get it but I think HBO did it just because they can. I preferred deadwood just my 2c. If the show goes on there could be more of the robots go wild and kill people then go on to take over the world aka terminator.
Like I say watchable and dont really regret it. It is a nice idea but it has been done to death now and there isnt really any new spin to it. You could watch the old ST episode where they compare data to a machine or a being or ex. Rampage may be coming but I still miss the rawness of deadwood and swearagin for a west setting.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I mean,

This is why Star Citizens have crazy dreams. :(

But how they think this is ever going to be reality in any timeline of Star Citizen as a game is why we think they are just crazy. It's all big talk, and then it ends up being "uh... grounded in your wank pod for 5 minutes. Yeah... that's LTI!"

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
I know this has been said before, but who the gently caress thinks this is a normal thing to do in space?
Talking about the stupid dust lol.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Randarkman posted:

Westworld?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725567

MeLKoR posted:

Westworld!

Randarkman posted:

Westworld.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The Titanic posted:

:same:

I hope we get an English word for it some day because it's perfect. I suggest "Robbertsed".

Why are Americans and British so fascinated with German compound words? There's really nothing that amazing about it, it's just like alot of other languages where you can, theoretically, make a compound word out of anything if you were inclined. Like "Fremdschämen" literally is just the words for "stranger" and "shame" combined into one, so it's literally "stranger shame". Norwegian among others works the same way, while English doesn't. Though I guess the Germans have been especially industrious about recording what is thought to be clever uses of that functionality, so they can have that.

intardnation posted:

I preferred deadwood just my 2c.

I wouldn't really compare it to Deadwood. It's not really a western show, and neither was the movie a western movie (though I would say the show doesn't share that much with the movie apart from the title and the concept of robot people going haywire). Anyway Deadwood was great.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 5, 2016

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Thoatse posted:

Their inability to make a flight model that doesn't suck or come even remotely close to what was pitched is what let me know this game will never be what it was sold as, and years of crobbling have only solidified that conclusion.

They can't even make the most basic part of a space sim function in a way that doesn't make them a joke or liars, plus as a company are too stupid to realize 'they had one job' and are failing miserably at it. My brain initially shifted into skepticism with cr's first ridiculously long
run of mocapping. That set the tone and stage of everything that has followed, only now there's so much more and it's so much worse.

This is why most of us are here. Waiting for that inevitable phrase some random backer will say that will be the start of the avalanche. Something like:

"What is this cobbled together non-game piece of poo poo I spent $30,000 on over the last 5 years???"

And the ensuing shitstorm. This happened almost once and CIG hastily released their "Road to CitizenCon" or something where they played their pity-us card, and which depicted Chris Roberts as the primary problem of the whole project, which is full of red flags everywhere.

Hell, overworked artists are starting to crack, with adjustable "Honesty" knobs tucked into the ships they build now.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Road to Citcon was when I felt like I inhabited a parallel universe.

"Here everyone, the guy with 100% discretion and decision making capability will sit around looking pissed off while other people explain to him what is actually going on and why things aren't done"

I think it's another one of those ego trips by Crobberts though. Like a big display where he thinks he is showing the world how incompetent the people that failed him are while he has no self awareness and can't see that him being completely oblivious about what is happening is the problem, because he is supposed to be in charge.

Maybe your project dictator sitting around blinking like a confused chimp stuffed into a too small turtleneck two days before your presentation is why the presentation isn't ready.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

crisp roberts posted:

In a way CIG really reminds me of a modding team. The starting aspiration, the clunky tech demos, a bastardized version of an already released game, overpromising and internal struggles. Sure, sometimes great mods come out, but much more fail though.

"And it'll be like GTA! Only bigger! And space ships that you walk on! And you can totally look out the window at another guy in another ship and wave to him! And there'll be planets! Oh yeah the planets will have weather, and seasons, and look like Crysis maps!!!! And cars!!! And you can put the cars in your ship and carry it to your new planet and drive it there!!!! And it'll have 1000 players in the same server instance and they can all see each other! And you'll have pets! And there'll be more NPCs than players all of who have their own lives and motivations!!!!"

And all of this and more is Star Citizen. Sound loving stupid like that? Because it is. Its a fever dream of a kid who has no idea how things work. But keep throwing money into the fire. I'm totally sure at some point my above statement will totally come true and Star Citizen will have it all. I just need to be patient with the special group who can't even make a ship fly right, doors work, and a basic FPS game in an FPS engine well.

It's right around the corner for sure. :allears:

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 5, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I mean,

Seriously? ISIS? :lol:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I know this has been said before, but who the gently caress thinks this is a normal thing to do in space?
Talking about the stupid dust lol.

Haven't you ever seen on a surface so clean it literally glows in the light? Don't you remember all the dirt that was kicked up when you blew on it?

It's exactly like that. :3:

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

mdxi posted:

So there I was, haulin' 27 deciLesnicks of X'ian Pearl Cream from the Eastern Systems over to GrimHEX.

My port-side quantum tubes were acting up -- probably because I'd been too cash-strapped to have them deschmegged for the past 3 maintenance cycles -- but I had to push my trusty MISC Endeavor as hard as she could go. Pirates are peevish and mercurial at the best of times, and this was defniitely not the best of times. The humidifiers had been out of commission on GrimHEX for over a week, and an ashy pirate was not a happy pirate.

"Cortana!" I called to no one in particular (for indeed I was the only person aboard -- a sometimes unavoidable side effect of being a rugged iconoclast with uncorruptible space-morals), knowing that my ship's female AI would respond.

"Yes, M'lord?" her dulcet, voice answered, with just the slightest hint of longing and submission, from the PA speaker overhead.

"I'm sorry, girl, but I need you to push the QD as hard as you can. Even if it means exceeding the B'tak thresholds by as much as 5%. And remind me to lay in new supplies of fresh wipes when we hit Stanton."

This is good.

no_recall posted:

Star Citizen, from videos, has a ridiculous short TTK (time to kill) period. A connie dies within a minute, ships crash in spectacular fashion with no auto eject (not sure why this is not a feature), players die and ships despawn with them, jumping out of a ship while its flying doesn't follow physics (your velocity = ship velocity) but instead of a high possibility of your death.

Griefed Citizen.

It legitimately annoys me that everyone points to this when showing stuff that's "never been done before". Its not impressive to walk around in a ship that is moving. It would be impressive to step out and float along gently with the ship, even if you were screaming along at thousands of m/s since your hardly moving wrt the frame of reference of the ship. So it fails to be unnecessary fidelity, and becomes an over-engineered yet prosaic feature, while also being wrong. And the wrongness is the least offensive part. Wrongness is great in scifi if you are doing it to have something fun or interesting.

But no. Step out of the ship and WHOOOOOSH you dead stop with relation to nothing as your ship flies away. uuauauarhg.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Daztek posted:

https://vid.me/1Fys

this is amazing

almost pgabz worthy

This is definitely great. I give it :pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz: out of :pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz: :pgabz:, or two :argh:'s up, if you use that system.

PS: at first I watched without sound, and thought nothing about it. Thank you for referencing it's quality so I could go back and fully appreciate this.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

crisp roberts posted:

Yeah CIG is what happens when you give 130 million to one of those total conversion mod teams that throws up a website with a few nice models and a ton of promises. Then after a short drama explosion they fade away and the mod never gets finished.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Hell, overworked artists are starting to crack, with adjustable "Honesty" knobs tucked into the ships they build now.
9/11Star Citizen is now an inside job :grin:

Good work goons. Our concerted FUD campaign has breached the main line- the only danger now is being trampled by leavers coming from the opposite direction. Of course, a debt of gratitude is owed to our Fifth Column mercenaries on Reddit and the official Robert Space Forums. Not to mention our developer/artist double agents (shout out to TheAgent) bringing the place down from the inside. :dukedoge:

(this is what shitizens actually believe)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Oleyo posted:

This is good.

It legitimately annoys me that everyone points to this when showing stuff that's "never been done before". Its not impressive to walk around in a ship that is moving. It would be impressive to step out and float along gently with the ship, even if you were screaming along at thousands of m/s since your hardly moving wrt the frame of reference of the ship. So it fails to be unnecessary fidelity, and becomes an over-engineered yet prosaic feature, while also being wrong. And the wrongness is the least offensive part. Wrongness is great in scifi if you are doing it to have something fun or interesting.

But no. Step out of the ship and WHOOOOOSH you dead stop with relation to nothing as your ship flies away. uuauauarhg.

All these people think they're getting Kerbal Space Program in the game too. :allears:

Is there any game that Star Citizen isn't going to be yet?