Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
MYSTERY TEAM closing in on McCutchen. gently caress I'm going to miss him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Inspector_666 posted:

At worst it's a *shrug* type of thing. It's good to have another good clubhouse guy too, given that the team is going to be so many kids next year.

In all of his years with the Cardinals, I don't think I ever got a sense of Holliday's personality. He was real good, but I don't know what kind of impact he had on the clubhouse.

He commanded a certain amount of respect because he was built like a mountain for a while, but he was the least enthusiastic interview ever.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya that's fine but bye bye Edwin.

I guess he's nominally a platoon bat?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The idea of Matt Holliday spending a lot of time in NYC is really funny to me.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Would the Cubs be in on Tyson Ross at all?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Tom Gorman posted:

In all of his years with the Cardinals, I don't think I ever got a sense of Holliday's personality. He was real good, but I don't know what kind of impact he had on the clubhouse.

He commanded a certain amount of respect because he was built like a mountain for a while, but he was the least enthusiastic interview ever.

He seemed like a very friendly, reserved kind of guy. He and his wife have a reputation of being insanely involved in the community, specifically with local hospitals. He's not really standoffish, just not a funny or charming interview as a rule, almost shy sometimes. The younger Cardinals always talk about him having a good sense of humor and being a nice guy and he's always seemed friendly and gracious to fans on a one-on-one basis.

Mike_V posted:

The idea of Matt Holliday spending a lot of time in NYC is really funny to me.

I really want to see him turn into a giant hipster.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 5, 2016

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Would the Cubs be in on Tyson Ross at all?

It's clear that this team needs a new Ross to replace the old Ross. I am also willing to step in for league minimum, since I too am a Ross, and in my 30s. I'm the clubhouse Ross this team needs to win another World Series.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

At worst it's a *shrug* type of thing. It's good to have another good clubhouse guy too, given that the team is going to be so many kids next year.

Pretty much how I feel. They did not have a real option for DH outside of using as a rotating spot to rest guys, which they don't really need. I'm still super worried about the rotation and the production their outfield is going to get, though.

No real obvious avenues to improving that unless they do something dumb.

Or if they trade for Trout. :getin:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I just realized that today was the first day of the Winter Meetings. usually there's more fanfare on Twitter, but it was quiet this year

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
melancon to the s/a giants

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I think Brian Dozier is going to be on another team by the end of the Winter Meetings. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this.

It's so hard to replace what he did last year but
1. You've got to figure he won't be quite as good next year so you're already losing some production there
2. 2nd base isn't a hard position to fill, necessarily and they need to free up slots for prospects that have a lot of controlled years ahead of them
3. If he brings back a good young mlb arm plus a little more that will be huge for the Twins.

I really think the Braves are the best trade partner for them in spite of no rumored connection but the team may be afraid of someone like Dozier after the Uggla debacle since there are a few surface similarities.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Steve Pearce is the ultimate "could be a nice little pickup" guy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/805829340780969984

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

corn on the cop posted:

melancon to the s/a giants

fuuuck

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

It's so hard to replace what he did last year but
1. You've got to figure he won't be quite as good next year so you're already losing some production there
2. 2nd base isn't a hard position to fill, necessarily and they need to free up slots for prospects that have a lot of controlled years ahead of them
3. If he brings back a good young mlb arm plus a little more that will be huge for the Twins.

I really think the Braves are the best trade partner for them in spite of no rumored connection but the team may be afraid of someone like Dozier after the Uggla debacle since there are a few surface similarities.

The Dodgers are being linked very heavily to him. I think you're also underselling what he could bring back.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Enjoy that sick cutter, Giants fans.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Giants getting ready to pivot to odd-year bullshit.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm surprised Melancon was the one who signed first since from the start he's been considered the "bargain" option of the big three closers on the market. I figured he'd stay back until the other two were signed and try to increase his value by being the last one available to the remaining teams who lost the Jansen/Chapman bidding war. That said the Giants absolutely have a need for a reliable closer so maybe they were willing to throw a truckload of money at Melancon right off the bat.

e. https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/805833414469369857

Sydin fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 5, 2016

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

I guess he's nominally a platoon bat?

Hard to say until the rest of the lineup shakes out.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Dodgers have resigned Rich Hill for 3 years 180 innings

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
That sure is $48m not being spent on Turner and Jansen, the only two players LA should care about signing!

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Doesn't LA have like 8 starting pitchers at this point? Surely they're going to have to jettison some guys right?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I haven't been here since the season ended but :lol: at the title. Please never end 2016.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

NiceGuy posted:

Doesn't LA have like 8 starting pitchers at this point? Surely they're going to have to jettison some guys right?

Maybe they're looking to deal some guys to fill holes elsewhere?

Or maybe they're going to go with the first ever 8-man rotation.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Jays are hosed at 1st base.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

BWV posted:

Not against lefties!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

BWV posted:

Rowdy Tellez will save us.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Apparently the Jays might still have 30 million to spend. Trade for Eaton and sign Edwin you fucks.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Man I dunno. Melancon is fine, but if you're gonna pay for a premium closer, why not give a 5th year and a few more $ to the super-elite, all-time great reliever?

BTW can we all agree that Chapman is at least a top 10 all-time RP? Or has he not pitched long enough to compare fairly to guys like Mo, Wagner, Hoffman, Eck, etc.? It's tricky to compare across eras, Chapman's insane K rate isn't quite as impressive nowadays when every team has a dude who throws high 90s and strikes out a million batters, but on a per inning basis I think Aroldis stacks up well against any of those guys.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Pussy Boss posted:

Man I dunno. Melancon is fine, but if you're gonna pay for a premium closer, why not give a 5th year and a few more $ to the super-elite, all-time great reliever?

BTW can we all agree that Chapman is at least a top 10 all-time RP? Or has he not pitched long enough to compare fairly to guys like Mo, Wagner, Hoffman, Eck, etc.? It's tricky to compare across eras, Chapman's insane K rate isn't quite as impressive nowadays when every team has a dude who throws high 90s and strikes out a million batters, but on a per inning basis I think Aroldis stacks up well against any of those guys.

Because Melancon is awesome, cheaper, less term and doesn't cost a draft pick.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

The Pussy Boss posted:

Almost blew the WS. Officially a bum. Sorry The Pussy Boss.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

"A few more $"

I mean I know I've been bitching about how lackluster the Beltran/Reddick/McCann/Morton offseason has been, but you don't have to sign literally the best player at any position you fill

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Melancon is a Giant 4/$62 million

Praise Jesus for a decent closer but uhhhh that's a lot of scratch

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
hearing Kenley/Marlins chat which just baffles me given his perceived cost and their loss of their literal ace in 2016, especially with Kenley costing a draft pick

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Apparently the Jays might still have 30 million to spend. Trade for Eaton and sign Edwin you fucks.

I've been fighting with a friend about this for months. Every instinct in me says they wont spend half the money they "save" by not signing Edwin. Or they'll use it on a bunch of 1-2 year deals and reduce payroll when those expire

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Spoeank posted:

Melancon is a Giant 4/$62 million

Praise Jesus for a decent closer but uhhhh that's a lot of scratch

OTOH Chapman reportedly wants $100 million and I'd imagine Jansen is likewise going to cost around the $80-$100m range so the Giants practically got Melancon at a steal.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Poque posted:

hearing Kenley/Marlins chat which just baffles me given his perceived cost and their loss of their literal ace in 2016, especially with Kenley costing a draft pick

A great closer on a bad team is probably the biggest waste imaginable

e: Ok bad isn't really accurate I guess. Non-competitive.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

I dunno man, even if the Jays had the prospects Shapiro seems like a pretty huggy guy.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

A great closer on a bad team is probably the biggest waste imaginable

e: Ok bad isn't really accurate I guess. Non-competitive.

It especially makes no sense for the Marlins to pick the closer who will cost them a draft pick.

Which means it's inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Yesssssssssssssss

From the beginning I thought Melancon was the best fit for the Giants in terms of Cost x Talent (÷ not shooting his girlfriend). Now just trade for Just Dingers Martinez and I'll be so hyped for 2017.

Ammat The Ankh fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 5, 2016

• Locked thread