Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The Titanic posted:

All these people think they're getting Kerbal Space Program in the game too. :allears:

Is there any game that Star Citizen isn't going to be yet?

Star Citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

Star Citizen

Jay Leno: Oh!! :rimshot:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Oleyo posted:

It legitimately annoys me that everyone points to this when showing stuff that's "never been done before". Its not impressive to walk around in a ship that is moving. It would be impressive to step out and float along gently with the ship, even if you were screaming along at thousands of m/s since your hardly moving wrt the frame of reference of the ship. So it fails to be unnecessary fidelity, and becomes an over-engineered yet prosaic feature, while also being wrong. And the wrongness is the least offensive part. Wrongness is great in scifi if you are doing it to have something fun or interesting.

My Kerbal Space Program story;

I started playing the game with very little idea of what was going on, so I killed a lot of my pilots early on, relying on scientists to do the flying. When we finally made high parabolas - orbits were slightly out of reach - I started the science experiments to earn some sweet cheddar from Big Environment on Kerbal. One of the experiments you can do is EVA, which is fine, because you have a ladder that you can hold onto.

So my Kerbal is hanging onto the ladder heading towards apogee, when I find out you can move up and down the ladder, until I fall off. it's surprising how quickly that separation goes from a couple of inches to a couple of meters simply from the impulse of leaving the ladder. I actually got quite anxious.

I had to pause and feverishly look up the EVA thrusters, then manuever the Kerbal back onto the ladder before things got a bit hot from re-entry.

$15 and emergent gameplay. Star Citizen can't do that.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo

I mean,

:sterv:

and that was like $70 million ago

Think this might have been the prototype

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

croberts design = steal stuff and jam on greebling until you can't fit anymore

bonus if greeble can be labeled as useful and bad-rear end stuff like "parking sensor"

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hopefully the tide will continue to slowly turn. I don't see how it couldn't, but I also never would have predicted them getting millions because of their last stream. So I am continually surprised! :3:

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Daffan posted:

[INSERT ANY CIG IDEA TEXT, LIMIT 96 CHARACTERS] was an idea they came up with on the spot to placate the players, without thinking through how it would be balanced or actually work in the game - so they've pulled the plug on it IIRC.

Other famous CR ideas that have been stated here and there, but CiG have no idea how it will actually work in the game, let alone the implementation.

Agent Smithing function.
9:1 NPC:Player ratio.
Each random NPC has their own lives and are like real players. Don't just randomly appear/disappear
NPC crews are fully independent with wants/needs.
Living breathing economy that is ran by NPC's and can be dynamically affected by players.
Massive 200+ people fleet battles, with full crews aboard each ship with magic instancing.
[INSERT ANY COMPLETED FEATURE TEXT HERE. GO AHEAD, USE AS MUCH SPACE AS YOU WANT FOR THIS DATA] (I cant wait until people rage against this)

All this coming right after they work out the Flight Model and Controls.

FTFY

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The Titanic posted:

Hopefully the tide will continue to slowly turn. I don't see how it couldn't, but I also never would have predicted them getting millions because of their last stream. So I am continually surprised! :3:
This time last year I thought this whole thing would be dead in 12 months.

It's been a raging inferno for years and the hardcore backers haven't even broke loving stride. Never underestimate the ability of gullible dickheads to pour money into this poo poo.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Sandweed posted:

We get that a lot in Warframe, everything in that game is designed as a 4 player coop game (except spy mission lol) and then you get people complaining that they can't solo the content. To be fair a lot of the content can be soloed once you get to a sufficient power level but still it shouldn't be expected and you should only blame yourself if you insist on playing solo.

Warframe is amazing, Rhino Stronk.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MeLKoR posted:

Derek is William.

Impossible. Roberts only wears black, hence he has to be the MiB.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

cool new Polack jokes posted:

It's me, I'm the 12-sided "round" cartoon button from Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)

(stop doxxing me)

I used to make 3d models for an online virtual world* company back in the nineties. The user-made models were always very 'round' and smooth and would tank your framerate. To this day, If i see edges that are too round my brain screams "inefficieeeeeeeent!" There was a real skill to representing shapes with the fewest triangles possible that I really enjoyed.

Big red "Mother Of GOD" button is funny though.

* haha, this was when Virtual World meant essentially a 3d gameworld, rather than Actual VR. good times...

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Colostomy Bag posted:

BONUS IMAGE

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

grimcreaper posted:

I liked the look of armor in dead space though.. Croberts armor just looks like poo poo tacked onto poo poo for the hell of it.

Star Citizen: poo poo Tacked Onto poo poo for the Hell of It.

Xaerael posted:

IDK whether this is a joke post or not. :confused:

I hear ya

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Oleyo posted:

The user-made models were always very 'round' and smooth and would tank your framerate. To this day, If i see edges that are too round my brain screams "inefficieeeeeeeent!" There was a real skill to representing shapes with the fewest triangles possible that I really enjoyed.

Guess you won't be working for CIG. Apologies if you feel grief.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Holy poo poo Er_Dova is Sandi.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo

I mean,

:sterv:

and that was like $70 million ago

I guess Space AV Tech is a step above Space Janitor, but not so much.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

The Titanic posted:

You're close, except it's butt plugs. And they aren't visible when equipped. Just knowing the fidelity is in him is good enough.

This was an artisanal quality joke upgrade. I achieved .897 of a spit take.

crisp roberts posted:

In a way CIG really reminds me of a modding team. The starting aspiration, the clunky tech demos, a bastardized version of an already released game, overpromising and internal struggles. Sure, sometimes great mods come out, but much more fail though.

This is really apt.

peter gabriel posted:

Star Citizen

:dxchop:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My favorite part is that the most effective way to kill someone wearing advanced hard-plate armor is to hit them with the stock of your rifle.

Plebian Armor Vulnerable to Butt Stroking

Super Advanced Armor with Revolutionary Anti-Butt Stroke Technology
armor is p bad at stopping blunt force trauma, but yeah unless that stock is secretly a warhammer, it's not going to do anything

but what if...instead of a gunsword you had a gunhammer???

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

nawledgelambo posted:

You think one of the artists is trying to tell the backers something?

lmbo

there's no way they do this unless they're about to walk out the door

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Randarkman posted:

Why are Americans and British so fascinated with German compound words? There's really nothing that amazing about it, it's just like alot of other languages where you can, theoretically, make a compound word out of anything if you were inclined. Like "Fremdschämen" literally is just the words for "stranger" and "shame" combined into one, so it's literally "stranger shame". Norwegian among others works the same way, while English doesn't. Though I guess the Germans have been especially industrious about recording what is thought to be clever uses of that functionality, so they can have that.

I wouldn't really compare it to Deadwood. It's not really a western show, and neither was the movie a western movie (though I would say the show doesn't share that much with the movie apart from the title and the concept of robot people going haywire). Anyway Deadwood was great.

I think it's fascinating to English speakers because Germans have words for things we either don't acknowledge or don't even have concepts of or as a society.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

ripptide posted:

Think this might have been the prototype

I think that's the prototype of cig's entire development model.

croberts says weeks not months
croberts says refactor the pipelines
croberts says he needs a(nother) vacation
cig needs financial accountability

:wrong: croberts didn't say!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Free Tophat!

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Hav posted:

My Kerbal Space Program story;

I started playing the game with very little idea of what was going on, so I killed a lot of my pilots early on, relying on scientists to do the flying. When we finally made high parabolas - orbits were slightly out of reach - I started the science experiments to earn some sweet cheddar from Big Environment on Kerbal. One of the experiments you can do is EVA, which is fine, because you have a ladder that you can hold onto.

So my Kerbal is hanging onto the ladder heading towards apogee, when I find out you can move up and down the ladder, until I fall off. it's surprising how quickly that separation goes from a couple of inches to a couple of meters simply from the impulse of leaving the ladder. I actually got quite anxious.

I had to pause and feverishly look up the EVA thrusters, then manuever the Kerbal back onto the ladder before things got a bit hot from re-entry.

$15 and emergent gameplay. Star Citizen can't do that.

Being separated from your vehicle during EVA has to be one of the scariest ways to die.

The Titanic posted:

I honestly think that they will release a real game at this point. The amount of funding from so little material is staggering, and I can't really in good faith be surprised any more. They really toed the line with Citcon, but I think that has just showed them exactly where the edge is now. And they are going to ride that edge hard until they start to slip. Then they will jettison the MVP 'game' like so much valueless ballast, and fly away.

And that game is going to be gloriously inadequate.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Wait, I thought that was Ortwin :confused:

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

Better context

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Wow this thread is garbo

Star marine got released. Deal with it

Also keep posting evidence of how retarded redditors are then including pics of goons arguing with people they think are retarded on their forum

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

LOL the loving velveteen dinner jacket

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

Why are Americans and British so fascinated with German compound words? There's really nothing that amazing about it, it's just like alot of other languages where you can, theoretically, make a compound word out of anything if you were inclined. Like "Fremdschämen" literally is just the words for "stranger" and "shame" combined into one, so it's literally "stranger shame". Norwegian among others works the same way, while English doesn't. Though I guess the Germans have been especially industrious about recording what is thought to be clever uses of that functionality, so they can have that.

The english word for it is exoticnovelty.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Thoatse posted:

I think it's fascinating to English speakers because Germans have words for things we either don't acknowledge or don't even have concepts of or as a society.

"There's no way this can be real. What are people spending all this money on? It's coming out when?

Starcitizenschämen: being dumbstruck by the fact that truth is stranger than fiction- even fan fiction- after reading Stimpire.txt for the first time, and realizing that a human actually wrote it.

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

Madcosby posted:

Wow this thread is garbo

Also keep posting evidence of how retarded redditors are then including pics of goons arguing with people they think are retarded on their forum

Hard to "deal with" a super secret best friends only pre-alpha release of a "mini-game" within the PU. I expect that once it is released we will get some excellent pgabz videos and thousands of pictures of naked space men in other people's butts, clipping out into space with jets shooting out of their back and waist, etc.

You seem to be under the impression that "releasing" Star Marine is somehow an achievement. Have you played it? Is it good? I would like to hear more Commando.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Madcosby posted:

Wow this thread is garbo

3/10. You are copying Marching Powder but are obviously lazier than he was.

for a better troll I suggest either more detachment if you are going to fyadstyle threadshit or more involved breakdowns if your point is that everyone but you is the idiot in this something awful forum thread. You are kinda riding the line where you look as stupid as everyone else while trying to also nonchalantly be above your own posting. It's weird.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/805872968979062785

There is independent verification of this out there but I'm not linking it because it's not really fair to identify individuals to the crazies anymore, given what's going to happen next year.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Speaking of dealing with it, doesn't the avocados playing Star Marine mean that Dr. Warlord lost his :toxx: ?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Speaking of dealing with it, doesn't the avocados playing Star Marine mean that Dr. Warlord lost his :toxx: ?

Not sure, didn't he say no star marine until after a patch on friday or whatever? The recent videos are from the past 24 hours

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Don't think so...there's still no proof (and compelling rumour) that it wasn't active in the initial release, only after a later patch.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Achamp posted:

Better context

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

As I understand it Derek was right that the original release of 2.6 to evocati didn't include Star Marine, moma was talking poo poo or trying to get Derek to break the NDA to prove him wrong. The 2nd option seems the more likely to me for him making so much fuss over something that doesn't matter at all, everyone knows Star Marine will be poo poo and so it will be proved, eventually, beyond all doubt.

Anyone with any sense and experience who works there is looking for the exit door now.

I know you and D1E have a real problem with Derek, my advice would start getting used to him being right.

Edit Also lol at ex-CIG staff not updating their linkedin profiles while their new company is quite keen to talk about new hires and they seem happy to talk, I wonder how that happens.

AP fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 5, 2016