Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Boris Galerkin posted:

To update Virtualbox on Windows (10) do I just run the new installer? Do I need to uninstall or anything first?
Shut down your running VMs first, but just run the installer to upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I was hoping updating fixed it but it didn't. Every time i try to shut down my computer (the actual vm host, windows 10) I get a message saying virtualbox has prevented shutdown for some reason. It seems to have just started happening some weeks ago when I updated virtualbox. I guess I'll just manually uninstall and reinstall to see if it fixes things.

I'm assuming after I reinstall it I can join point my new virtualbox installation at the image files/virtual hard drives and not have to do anything else?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I was hoping updating fixed it but it didn't. Every time i try to shut down my computer (the actual vm host, windows 10) I get a message saying virtualbox has prevented shutdown for some reason. It seems to have just started happening some weeks ago when I updated virtualbox. I guess I'll just manually uninstall and reinstall to see if it fixes things.

I'm assuming after I reinstall it I can join point my new virtualbox installation at the image files/virtual hard drives and not have to do anything else?
It should keep whatever user-specific preferences files lying around so there shouldn't be anything to do on your end.

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran
So I am the Desktop Support Manager/jack of all trades IT person in my ~140 user department in my organization. My predecessor set up an old desktop running Windows 2008 R2 serving as a print server and Filemaker Pro server. It has been in service now for probably about five years, and I really want to replace it.

Other than some very minimal lab experience with vSphere (and desktop OS testing with Workstation), I haven't worked much with VMWare products, but I would really like to virtualize this setup on new hardware. I've gotten approval to purchase real (low end) server hardware, (I'm leaning toward a PowerEdge T330 server), and have acquired a vSphere 6 license from our central IT department. I'm sure that I could stumble into getting this setup up and running by guessing at settings, but I'd really like to know what I'm selecting and why I'm selecting it.

Is there a particular book that would cover everything I would need starting out on this? I know that the OP has Mastering vSphere 5 book listed as a recommendation, is the version 6 book still a go to?

In terms of servers, is a PowerEdge T330 with 16 GB of RAM and RAID 1 SSD's going to be enough for a setup running two VM's for about 140 users in the same building?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Any VMware Horizon/View users out there with Zero Clients?

Teradici PCoIP firmware greater than 5.0.2 will cause USB redirection issues with some devices. Broke redirection for scanners that a handful of people use here.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Greetings VM gurus. This is a very simple question and I apologize if it should be obvious to me from the OP or other sources:

I have a Synology NAS (DS1515+) and would like to be able to host VMs on it that I can connect to from outside of home. I use Citrix for work and VMWare Fusion for Linux on my MacBook Pro but haven't the faintest idea what packages/software I would need to install on the Synology to be able to host and access a VM. Are there any free solutions for this kind of thing?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Smashing Link posted:

Greetings VM gurus. This is a very simple question and I apologize if it should be obvious to me from the OP or other sources:

I have a Synology NAS (DS1515+) and would like to be able to host VMs on it that I can connect to from outside of home. I use Citrix for work and VMWare Fusion for Linux on my MacBook Pro but haven't the faintest idea what packages/software I would need to install on the Synology to be able to host and access a VM. Are there any free solutions for this kind of thing?

Hosting a VM directly on the NAS probably isn't going to give you good performance results. I know there is a Docker package, so depending on what you want to do, that may work.

Can you elaborate a little more on your use case?

Edit: Looks like you can sideload VirtualBox as well. http://www.wijngaard.org/running-virtualbox-on-synology-nas/

Moey fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 1, 2016

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Hopefully easy question here. I have 3 ESXI servers, connecting to a netapp over iSCSI. One volume is a big VMFS volume for all the vmware disks and whatnot.

I need to give a couple of the virtual machines an additional disk each for things like exchange database, or for a file server. Each volume they'd need would come in 3TB+.

What's the best way to accomplish that? I've been advised not to let the virtual machines themselves create an iscsi connection to the SAN directly. I can create another datastore for each application in ESXI, create a 4TB disk or whatever, and just attach it to the vm as an additional disk.

Is this retarded, or is there something better to do?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I want to make sure I'm not wrong. Can I access the files on my main OS's storage from within VirtualBox? I'm thinking no.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I want to make sure I'm not wrong. Can I access the files on my main OS's storage from within VirtualBox? I'm thinking no.

You can, it's called shared folders

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#sharedfolders

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

Hosting a VM directly on the NAS probably isn't going to give you good performance results. I know there is a Docker package, so depending on what you want to do, that may work.

Can you elaborate a little more on your use case?

Edit: Looks like you can sideload VirtualBox as well. http://www.wijngaard.org/running-virtualbox-on-synology-nas/

Thanks -- this is exactly what I was looking for. I realize it may not blow the doors off but I upgraded the RAM on my Synology to 16GB so hopefully it'll do. Much appreciated.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Hopefully easy question here. I have 3 ESXI servers, connecting to a netapp over iSCSI. One volume is a big VMFS volume for all the vmware disks and whatnot.

I need to give a couple of the virtual machines an additional disk each for things like exchange database, or for a file server. Each volume they'd need would come in 3TB+.

What's the best way to accomplish that? I've been advised not to let the virtual machines themselves create an iscsi connection to the SAN directly. I can create another datastore for each application in ESXI, create a 4TB disk or whatever, and just attach it to the vm as an additional disk.

Is this retarded, or is there something better to do?

Expand the existing datastore (if possible) or create a new datastore/datastores and create VMDKs on those and attach them to the servers. Don't overthink it. Only reason to split it up outside of not being able to grow the LUN any further is if you're doing array based snapshots and want to have different snapshot scheduled on some VMs/VMDKs. That's assuming you're on a relatively recent release of ESXi that supports the ATS primitive, so you don't have to worry as much about lock contention.

Also, consider doing NFS instead of iSCSI.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

big money big clit posted:

Also, consider doing NFS instead of iSCSI.
I'm going to have to insist. Netapp NFS datastores immensely reduce the amount of bullshit you have to deal with.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Playing around with the new AWS Storage Gateway that exposes S3 directly via NFS to your local server..... :catstare:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wicaeed posted:

Playing around with the new AWS Storage Gateway that exposes S3 directly via NFS to your local server..... :catstare:

test it :unsmigghh:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

DAF's anime collection is ready to upload.

What's even the right unit for that? 8 exabytes?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That bar is never going to show usage

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
So all of Amazon AWS would grind to a halt if you somehow managed to fill that up?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Let's just say AWS is probably not the bottleneck

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm going to migrate my buddy's lab VMs to S3 NFS then be all "Nope, Datastore looks fine" when he complains about speed.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
At gigabit speed that would take 18641351 hours to fill, or 776722 days, or 2128 years.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Methanar posted:

At gigabit speed that would take 18641351 hours to fill, or 776722 days, or 2128 years.

Amazon has a faster way to fill it.

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/aws-snowmobile-move-exabytes-of-data-to-the-cloud-in-weeks/

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Okay, that's cute advertising material.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:trumppop:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Mysteries abound with my issue of the default 6.5 Intel x710 drivers not working with NetApp.

http://www.vmware.com/resources/com...r&sortOrder=Asc

VMware is moving from vmklinux drivers to native drivers and instead of incrementing the version numbers they are leaving it to you, the poor sucker who has to run this poo poo, to just guess that the lower rev number is actually the most current driver. But the native driver has some kind of compatibility issue with NetApp so you can't use it at the moment, though it might get fixed at some point. Maybe. Who knows.

So now I get to go talk to NetApp and VMware support at the same time and I expect it to be the most painful experience in the world.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Mysteries abound with my issue of the default 6.5 Intel x710 drivers not working with NetApp.

http://www.vmware.com/resources/com...r&sortOrder=Asc

VMware is moving from vmklinux drivers to native drivers and instead of incrementing the version numbers they are leaving it to you, the poor sucker who has to run this poo poo, to just guess that the lower rev number is actually the most current driver. But the native driver has some kind of compatibility issue with NetApp so you can't use it at the moment, though it might get fixed at some point. Maybe. Who knows.

So now I get to go talk to NetApp and VMware support at the same time and I expect it to be the most painful experience in the world.

We had nothing but sadness and purple screens with the x710 drivers and vmware, it was bad enough we said gently caress it and switched out fleet back to the x520s :(

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Maneki Neko posted:

We had nothing but sadness and purple screens with the x710 drivers and vmware, it was bad enough we said gently caress it and switched out fleet back to the x520s :(

Seconding sadness with x710 and VMware.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Methanar posted:

*Raises hands*

We didn't have sadness, but that's because I specifically specced our hosts with 520's after talking with former colleagues.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just specced some hosts with 520s by accident because I didn't see the 710s on the list.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Any qualms against HPE? I'm unfamiliar with virtualization, and corporate compliance entails us (me) deploying AD/PKI/802.1x/Syslog/ntop services.

I'm considering a HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen9 Xeon E5-2620V3 16 GB, and granted no back up server we'll eventually need to lean on the support contract. This is where I'm anticipating support ticket issues might be complicated with 3rd party HDDs or NICs?

So would I be a dummy to use 3rd party HDDs/PCi/etc/ Samsung Evo 850 pros in this situation?
It looks like both VMware and ntop list compatibility with the Intel X540-T2 (HPE has a version they slap their brand on, I'm assuming it's literally the same unit and if not than BOOTUTIL could flash Intel's standard firmware?)

Computer Serf fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 6, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Computer Serf posted:

Any qualms against HPE? I'm unfamiliar with visualization, and corporate compliance entails us (me) deploying AD/PKI/802.1x/Syslog/ntop services.

I'm considering a HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen9 Xeon E5-2620V3 16 GB, and granted no back up server we'll eventually need to lean on the support contract. This is where I'm anticipating support ticket issues might be complicated with 3rd party HDDs or NICs?

So would I be a dummy to use 3rd party HDDs/PCi/etc/ Samsung Evo 850 pros in this situation?
Yes.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Methanar posted:

Thirded, but luckily for us we only recently bought the servers so the 1.4.28 driver was available to us straight away.

We're still on 5.5 though, disabled TSO/LRO & updated the driver but will have to keep the above driver link for when we upgrade to 6.5

theperminator fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 6, 2016

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yup. Just suck it up and buy everything through supported channels if convenience and "single throat to choke" are paramount, or buy a fuckload of spare parts via eBay or whatever if you are going to go cheap. You can't have it both ways.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Computer Serf posted:

Any qualms against HPE? I'm unfamiliar with virtualization, and corporate compliance entails us (me) deploying AD/PKI/802.1x/Syslog/ntop services.

I'm not familiar with HPEs offerings these days, but that's not 16gb of memory, right? Because that's hilariously underpowered as soon as you start putting VMs doing "real" work on it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Also: get the loving iLO license.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

evol262 posted:

I'm not familiar with HPEs offerings these days, but that's not 16gb of memory, right? Because that's hilariously underpowered as soon as you start putting VMs doing "real" work on it.
My log servers alone use more than 16 GB.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

evol262 posted:

16gb is likely included in the base model. You buy the rest seperately.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Methanar posted:

16gb is likely included in the base model. You buy the rest seperately.

I see it supports a max of 3TB (with 24 DIMMs), but I also figure that someone who's considering adding consumer-grade Samsung SSDs isn't upgrading the base spec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Docjowles posted:

Yup. Just suck it up and buy everything through supported channels if convenience and "single throat to choke" are paramount, or buy a fuckload of spare parts via eBay or whatever if you are going to go cheap. You can't have it both ways.

Hmm bare bones built out is about half the price... meaning we could have a full cold backup for the same price as 24/7 enterprise support, so I guess this opens up an option for the suits to meditate on. :discourse:

evol262 posted:

evol262 posted:

I see it supports a max of 3TB (with 24 DIMMs), but I also figure that someone who's considering adding consumer-grade Samsung SSDs isn't upgrading the base spec.

welp, guess I'll bump up to 64GB. I'm planning on running a Windows Server 2016, and 2 Linux VMs. It seems like RAM is the where the magic happens in VMs, so the budget proposal just got a bit more magical.

Vulture Culture posted:

My log servers alone use more than 16 GB.

:ohdearsass: