Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pierce Brosnan is the best James Bond there's been (but he only had one good movie and one okay movie).

Pierce Brosnan is the best James Bond, but "best" is a relative term and all James Bonds are actually terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Daddy's cummies are good and make me happy

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Tiggum posted:

Pierce Brosnan is the best James Bond, but "best" is a relative term and all James Bonds are actually terrible.

This, but the opposite, because Bond movies are all super cool and fun.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

His name is Clint Eastwood.

I almost put him down. But yeah Clint owns Wayne. The acting chops today are far more developed than the old actors. Sorry duder.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There isn't really a good fast-food burger. In-n-Out, Five Guys, etc. are all just the shame poo poo and they're all pretty bad. I mean Burgerville is all right but they're sort of on the brink like Panera Bread of not really being fast food as such.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Pick posted:

There isn't really a good fast-food burger. In-n-Out, Five Guys, etc. are all just the shame poo poo and they're all pretty bad. I mean Burgerville is all right but they're sort of on the brink like Panera Bread of not really being fast food as such.

May I kindly refer you to Fuddruckers. They are kind of on the border of fast food and a real restaurant since you have to wait ~5 minutes before they get your burger cooked, but it's still very fast compared to a sit down place.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

Nah, it's good fun.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Timothy Dalton was the best Bond.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There is no alt-right that's just the regular right.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Alt right is the right except they are honest about being nazis.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

yeah I eat rear end posted:

May I kindly refer you to Fuddruckers. They are kind of on the border of fast food and a real restaurant since you have to wait ~5 minutes before they get your burger cooked, but it's still very fast compared to a sit down place.

No restaurant that serves 2 pound burgers are any good.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Trying to label political movements is almost as pointless as labeling generations. Everyone has a different definition, even in academia. There might be a general consensus on what a millenial is or what an alt-right is but everyone outside of academic circles (and even to some degree within them) will never agree on what they actually are besides "people we don't like".

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

No restaurant that serves 2 pound burgers are any good.

Last I checked they only have 1 pound burgers as the maximum size available regularly. They do bigger ones only as a gimmick like restaurants do with their 3 pound steak "challenge" - people who order that have no expectation of it being cooked properly, they just want to prove a point. I've had the 1 pound burger and while it was pretty unwieldy, it was cooked fine.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Trying to label political movements is almost as pointless as labeling generations. Everyone has a different definition, even in academia. There might be a general consensus on what a millenial is or what an alt-right is but everyone outside of academic circles (and even to some degree within them) will never agree on what they actually are besides "people we don't like".

Most of them are only looking for variations on The Enemy anyway, such as mr poster who thinks the right is honest nazis and dishonest nazis.

My unpopular opinion is that americans/the internet at large to should try to see the world as something other than a continuum between Myself ------> South Park ------> Hitler

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I've been contaminated by Finnpol where it's nazis all the way down. Anyways, the point stands. The alt right says openly what the so called moderate right thinks.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

doverhog posted:

I've been contaminated by Finnpol where it's nazis all the way down. Anyways, the point stands. The alt right says openly what the so called moderate right thinks.
this is correct and people acting like they're anything new - online in general and in all the tedious thinkpieces being spat out at the moment - is baffling. It's a new coat of paint on people who were always there. And, as usual, if the "moderate" right disagrees with them they're more than happy to work with and enable them, as are centrist liberals

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Dutch is the ugliest language in the world

Dutch is cute. Danish is the horrible one.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pierce Brosnan is the best James Bond there's been (but he only had one good movie and one okay movie).

I wouldn't go as far as calling him the best James Bond, but he was certainly the best James Bond who happened to be in a bunch of really bad Bond movies. Like half of his films are awful, but they're awful in ways completely unrelated to his performance.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Strategic Tea posted:

My unpopular opinion is that americans/the internet at large to should try to see the world as something other than a continuum between Myself ------> South Park ------> Hitler

I was thinking about this the other night and I couldn't agree more, particularly when the far side of either group devolves into the same brand of narcissist insanity. People like to throw around the "Well, it's not difficult! Like, would you rather kill 0 puppies or 100 puppies? 50 obviously isn't the right answer!" like life is only binary choices without nuance. It's life, it's not loving Mass Effect. It's not a game of just what you want or the nuclear option. You'd think nobody negotiated a goddamn contract before.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

I was thinking about this the other night and I couldn't agree more, particularly when the far side of either group devolves into the same brand of narcissist insanity. People like to throw around the "Well, it's not difficult! Like, would you rather kill 0 puppies or 100 puppies? 50 obviously isn't the right answer!" like life is only binary choices without nuance. It's life, it's not loving Mass Effect. It's not a game of just what you want or the nuclear option. You'd think nobody negotiated a goddamn contract before.

I would kill 0 puppy you sick weirdo.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
GBS should be deleted permanently.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Vegans and vegetarians are fine and make some good points

It's also fine to be a vegan but still get drunk and eat a bar cheeseburger, or some of nana's thanksgiving turkey or whatever. Nobody is ever 100% consistent and pure

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Count Basie was the best bandleader in the swing era, not Duke Ellington or Benny Goodman.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I would kill 0 puppy you sick weirdo.

Way to miss the point.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is this a "perfect is the enemy of the good" thing?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

South Park doesn't even try to do "the truth is in the middle" anymore, they just say "Who gives a gently caress about the truth? Sounds like you're caring about something, which is the worst thing anyone can do. Better to be permanently detached and above it all, then nothing can hurt you."

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I want to know if South Park's whole member berries bit saying "People only watch X out of misplaced nostalgia!" is like, a purposely ironic thing, because everyone I know only ever watches South Park for the same reason

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

WampaLord posted:

South Park doesn't even try to do "the truth is in the middle" anymore, they just say "Who gives a gently caress about the truth? Sounds like you're caring about something, which is the worst thing anyone can do. Better to be permanently detached and above it all, then nothing can hurt you."

But being hurt sucks. :(

Know what doesn't suck? Hurting others.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

doverhog posted:

Alt right is the right except they are honest about being nazis.

Sorry, neo-Nazis.

I only Hail Mary!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Aramek posted:

But being hurt sucks. :(

Know what doesn't suck? Hurting others.

Hence why Cartman's mother is named Liane.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

vintagepurple posted:

Vegans and vegetarians are fine and make some good points

Agreed until vegans start arguing that their diet is natural. A vegan diet is really hard to keep track of and maintain a balanced, healthy diet. I know it's overall bad for the environment and animal rights but I still eat meat.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is this a "perfect is the enemy of the good" thing?

No, it's an "overly simplistic analogies are dumb" thing.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Pick posted:

Five Guy's and In n Out are miles ahead of traditional fast food places. Yeah it might not be the best burger you'll ever had but it drat sure is an improvement.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In my view it's completely acceptable to be right for ostensibly "wrong" reasons.

My own anecdote relates to this year's referendum. I voted to stay in the EU because I thought it would be the better choice for British businesses in general and the financial sector (to which my job is connected) in particular.

But, no, apparently the only valid reason to vote to stay in (if you believe the people I encountered) was because Nigel Farage was a racist.

Well, whatever. You had my vote even if you didn't want it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Intoluene posted:

Agreed until vegans start arguing that their diet is natural. A vegan diet is really hard to keep track of and maintain a balanced, healthy diet. I know it's overall bad for the environment and animal rights but I still eat meat.

Meat is delicious. I just wish bison would get their poo poo together and create vast herds in the several millions so their meat becomes cheap again.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

In my view it's completely acceptable to be right for ostensibly "wrong" reasons.

My own anecdote relates to this year's referendum. I voted to stay in the EU because I thought it would be the better choice for British businesses in general and the financial sector (to which my job is connected) in particular.

But, no, apparently the only valid reason to vote to stay in (if you believe the people I encountered) was because Nigel Farage was a racist.

Well, whatever. You had my vote even if you didn't want it.

Racism is bad for business so you were almost there.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jastiger posted:

I almost put him down. But yeah Clint owns Wayne. The acting chops today are far more developed than the old actors. Sorry duder.

Excessive pathos is not better per se, and that is what most of today's "better acting" is based on.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

YeahTubaMike posted:

Dutch is cute. Danish is the horrible one.

https://youtu.be/ywSnhMaaWIM

A garbage language for garbage people.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

doverhog posted:

Racism is bad for business so you were almost there.

I agree on the first part but don'think know what to make of the second. :shrug:

In any event, the other fellow ending the conversation by saying, "The idea of a capitalist supporting the EU makes my skin crawl," was an amusing spectacle. Did he even know what the EU is all about? Evidently not. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

hard counter posted:

I think that's two separate things; there are legitimate issues with some animus but then some people also resort to slurs or :biotruths: to express their opinion in way that engages with the ethnicity of the creator rather than with the relevant aspects of the creation.

My feeling about anime as a medium is that it has some genuine serious problems, but they have nothing to do with Japanese culture being wild and crazy or whatever. Sometimes you'll hear people say "anime is a medium just like live-action TV or movies" but this isn't really accurate, because there are specific elements to the industry that compromise it. A very good comparison would be American comic books. Some are good (and not all comics are super-hero stuff), but the general nature of the American comics and anime markets and their primary audience(s) result in a disproportionate amount of terrible stuff.

That being said, I believe that manga actually is comparable to any other medium. Because it doesn't have the same production barriers as anime (primarily cost), it doesn't have the same need to pander to specific demographics and there's a lot more room for different genres and styles. Kind of following from that, I would also argue that manga, generally speaking, has more to offer than American comics (this is probably where the "unpopular opinion" part of this post comes in). While there are obviously good American comics and bad manga, there's a greater variety to manga and the skill involved in drawing it is often higher (which is probably just the result of manga having a far bigger role in Japanese society/culture than comics do in America). So while there's some truth to the idea that anime is mostly bad, people who say the same thing about manga really are just being racist and dumb.