Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
having Magician installed is fine, just turn all the performance stuff off. No big deal. It is great for checking the condition of you drive in an easy manner and the easiest way to do any firmware updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Amazon is taking pre-orders for the 960 EVO, claiming a release date of December 11.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

thebigcow posted:

Amazon is taking pre-orders for the 960 EVO, claiming a release date of December 11.

I gave up on waiting and ordered the 950 Pro some time ago. :smith:

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Ignoranus posted:

I'm (finally) upgrading my whole PC - moving from my (ca. 2009) Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 (it had an AMD 770 CPU slot, for reference) and upgrading to an Asus Z170A. I remember that when I originally bought my first SSD last year (Samsung 840) I had to do some BIOS setting changes to make it work properly with the SSD - I don't see anything about that in the new OP, is this no longer something I need to sweat?

I'm just re-quoting myself in hopes of an answer on this one. I am assuming that it's more straightforward than it was with my old motherboard?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Ignoranus posted:

I'm just re-quoting myself in hopes of an answer on this one. I am assuming that it's more straightforward than it was with my old motherboard?

Any Z170 board should default to AHCI

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

metallicaeg posted:

Any Z170 board should default to AHCI

Excellent, thanks!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I just got my NVMe disk installed.

HOLY MOLY; its mostly innocuous so far, but little things are just _so_ responsive its ridiculous.

Funny as it is, based on what I do all the time, the most noticable change is in the time it takes to open a PowerShell prompt and have it be fully loaded and responsive. Previously 3-4seconds; now instant. Is that going to save me the time to justify the cost ever? Nope. But its fuckin sweet.

I am pleased. I'm playing this fun game of "what should I keep on the NVMe disk; and what should live on the 850 Pro as a scratch disk" - namely trying to cherry pick VMs I want to by hyper responsive.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Walked posted:

So I just got my NVMe disk installed.

HOLY MOLY; its mostly innocuous so far, but little things are just _so_ responsive its ridiculous.

Funny as it is, based on what I do all the time, the most noticable change is in the time it takes to open a PowerShell prompt and have it be fully loaded and responsive. Previously 3-4seconds; now instant. Is that going to save me the time to justify the cost ever? Nope. But its fuckin sweet.

I am pleased. I'm playing this fun game of "what should I keep on the NVMe disk; and what should live on the 850 Pro as a scratch disk" - namely trying to cherry pick VMs I want to by hyper responsive.

Remember to try turning disk cache entirely off for the NVMe disk, it may improve performance.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

My trusty pocket VAR and my team go to lunch occasionally. I think we tipped our collective hands on nvme excitement too hard. She threw an sm951 in the last laptop workstation we bought "on the house."

Lord, that is a nice freggin drive. Now I have to pay for premium Samsung drives where midrange would have been okay because half my workstation-level customers have heard about the :magical: power of premium nvme.

Well done, sales person. Well done.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Potato Salad posted:

My trusty pocket VAR and my team go to lunch occasionally. I think we tipped our collective hands on nvme excitement too hard. She threw an sm951 in the last laptop workstation we bought "on the house."

Lord, that is a nice freggin drive. Now I have to pay for premium Samsung drives where midrange would have been okay because half my workstation-level customers have heard about the :magical: power of premium nvme.

Well done, sales person. Well done.

Yeah, we've got NVME in the last few Precision laptops we've ordered. Sweet jesus christ. SSD's in everything new from now on, and ordering a bucketload to upgrade older-but-still-okay systems.

makere
Jan 14, 2012
Anyone knows why the 850 EVO prices have jump up a lot? Also any decent alternatives? (long life is more important to me than speed.)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

makere posted:

Anyone knows why the 850 EVO prices have jump up a lot? Also any decent alternatives? (long life is more important to me than speed.)

SSD Prices Skyrocket As NAND Shortage Deepens, HDD Shortage Looms As Components Become Scarce: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ssd-hdd-shortage-nand-market,33112.html

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

SSD Prices Skyrocket As NAND Shortage Deepens, HDD Shortage Looms As Components Become Scarce: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ssd-hdd-shortage-nand-market,33112.html

This probably didn't help, but at least for the 850 EVO, I think it's just Samsung/retailers milking the high demand. When you have the #1 rated, #1 fastest, and #1 best selling SATA drive, there's really little motivation to drop prices any faster than they are falling for SSDs in general. This Camelcamelcamel chart shows the 500GB 850 EVO, where it's clear that the Black Friday to Cyber Monday pricing was just a short blip. The price has returned to the standard level.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

B-Nasty posted:

This probably didn't help, but at least for the 850 EVO, I think it's just Samsung/retailers milking the high demand. When you have the #1 rated, #1 fastest, and #1 best selling SATA drive, there's really little motivation to drop prices any faster than they are falling for SSDs in general. This Camelcamelcamel chart shows the 500GB 850 EVO, where it's clear that the Black Friday to Cyber Monday pricing was just a short blip. The price has returned to the standard level.

Yeah, I didn't really *need* the 1TB EVO sitting on top of my computer at the moment, but I couldn't pass up 1TB for $225, since I'm pretty sure it won't hit that again for quite some time.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Just a quick trip report on that Intel 600p (512GB).

I put it into a system built for a buddy, i76600, 16 GB. It installed windows, booted and browsed the web faster than anything I've seen before. This is coming from Samsung 840 SATA drives. I suspect that even though the drive is pretty much the slowest nvme out there. I think as an OS drive it's actually in a pretty good niche. Being Intel it should hopefully be reliable and well supported. The price jump from it to the Samsung stuff is just so big.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I moved from a 256GB Plextor M6e to a 512GB 600p just so I could drop the SATA SSD Steam drive in my gaming build, and while the benchmarks say it should be slower I can't really notice the difference. The Plextor had a giant BIOS screen on post that did nothing but slow down my cold boot times, so the Intel might be "faster" because it doesn't hold up things with something similar.

That said, I've got a 1TB 960 Evo on pre-order.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
After that Spotify bullshit, I've been casually looking at writes. Is it normal to gain 40GB of writes over five hours, or is Windows (or some app in it) just so loving busy to generate this? I have had some Windows Update process run in the background, tho.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What is going on during that time?

Perhaps open the resource monitor for a bit and see what is using top drive i/o.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It would be useful with a program that monitors the amount of writes on an SSD over time and warns if some threshold is crossed. Maybe even identify the programs at fault.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

What is going on during that time?

Perhaps open the resource monitor for a bit and see what is using top drive i/o.
Mostly gaming, which IMO shouldn't be write intensive at all, and some browsing. Hell, over night, it still wrote 28GB in around eight hours, where the box idled completely.

nielsm posted:

It would be useful with a program that monitors the amount of writes on an SSD over time and warns if some threshold is crossed. Maybe even identify the programs at fault.
Any way to configure performance or resource monitor to log and integrate over time the write statistics, to figure out what application writes that much data? Resource monitor isn't that helpful.

--edit:
Seems like Process Explorer has accumulated IO writes. Only thing that stands out is Steam with 69GB of write IO, but that value is over the whole uptime, which over nearly 10 days, and I did download Watchdogs 2. Kind of looks like all those SSD writes come from small writes in the operating system getting amplified or some thing.

--edit2:
In absolute write count the Chrome browser and the Adobe poo poo stands out. Gonna move the browser cache to the spare SSD and kill the Adobe poo poo unless absolutely needed. Let's see what this does.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 5, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ordered the 1TB 850 Evo from Amazon and still haven't gotten the Watch Dogs 2 code. Support told me to pound sand and talk to the manufacturer. Hopefully this isn't a huge pain to get them to redeem it.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Bit of a strange question - does the Sandisk X400 come with cloning software? If not, Macrium should be fine, but we're migrating a few systems at work to SSD's and I wasn't 100% sure if the Sandisk's came with something like Samsung's data-migration tool.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Holy gently caress, another 500GB were written over 24 hours. All that happened was mostly a bunch of browsing sessions and Steam downloading 30GB in updates. What in the living gently caress is wrong with this system? This must be a recent thing, too, since the SSD is seven months old and with 500GB a day there'd be way more write endurance used up. IO writes stats in Process Explorer tell me nothing.

--edit:
Trying Process Monitor now... Chrome is frequently writing a lot of tiny updates to the loving cookie database, even when it's idling. Spotify's stupid database also pops up more than I'd like, even tho it's idling. Why the hell can't apps just do nothing, if they're not being used while running?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 6, 2016

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Work is letting me buy a 500 GB SSD for my laptop, so just plain old SATA. It looks like both the 850 EVO and X400 are roughly the same price over here. So with price being equal, should I order the 850 EVO or the X400? It's a laptop/workstation running Linux if that matters for either one of those (maybe one controller plays nicer with Linux or whatever). The laptop already has a 250ish GB SSD so it's not like I'm upgrading from a spinning drive. I plan on keeping the old SSD inside and using it as a drive to to store automatic snapshots to I think.

e: I wanted to do full disc encryption too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Are mSATA drives effectively dead? Like all the new drives are going to be SATA or M.2 right?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Combat Pretzel posted:

Chrome is frequently writing a lot of tiny updates to the loving cookie database, even when it's idling.

Chrome://Settings, click on Advanced, then scroll down to System. Uncheck "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed"

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Combat Pretzel posted:

Holy gently caress, another 500GB were written over 24 hours. All that happened was mostly a bunch of browsing sessions and Steam downloading 30GB in updates. What in the living gently caress is wrong with this system? This must be a recent thing, too, since the SSD is seven months old and with 500GB a day there'd be way more write endurance used up. IO writes stats in Process Explorer tell me nothing.

--edit:
Trying Process Monitor now... Chrome is frequently writing a lot of tiny updates to the loving cookie database, even when it's idling. Spotify's stupid database also pops up more than I'd like, even tho it's idling. Why the hell can't apps just do nothing, if they're not being used while running?

Hmmm this explains alot. I have a surface pro 4 and I switched from chrome to edge because chrome absolutely destroys battery life. It never occured to me to check how frequently it was writing to the ssd.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Stop using Chrome, possibly? At least for a day or two and see if that's realky the issue?

FF if you want a big popular browser, Opera if you need Webkit?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

According to Process Explorer, Chrome amassed around 13GB of writes, probably a large part of it Youtube video streaming. How everything else amplifies to almost 500GB is really beyond me. I wish there was a performance logging tool that'd log Total Bytes Written over time, to see whether it happens at specific times and something else is loving me over, like a runaway Windows Update process or whatever. Process Explorer only shows the IO of running processes, after all.

--edit: Yea, gonna look into Firefox I guess.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 6, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Combat Pretzel posted:

According to Process Explorer, Chrome amassed around 13GB of writes, probably a large part of it Youtube video streaming. How everything else amplifies to almost 500GB is really beyond me. I wish there was a performance logging tool that'd log Total Bytes Written over time, to see whether it happens at specific times and something else is loving me over, like a runaway Windows Update process or whatever. Process Explorer only shows the IO of running processes, after all.

--edit: Yea, gonna look into Firefox I guess.

Well Spotify for awhile was doing massive amounts of writes if you're still using it/were using it during that time.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Potato Salad posted:

Opera if you need Webkit?

I think you meant to write Vivaldi https://vivaldi.com/?lang=en - it's the new Opera.

havenwaters posted:

Well Spotify for awhile was doing massive amounts of writes if you're still using it/were using it during that time.

Yep, latest Spotify update rectifies the issue. So check if there are any updates available.

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Hi goons,

I've got a DVS Clipster video editing system, which currently has two RAID arrays each of which are made up of (12) 500GB Seagate 15K RPM Cheetahs and an Adaptec 51245 controller. It's basically the previous model of this guy: https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/us/product/clp6-productstartpage_63493-229148.html

Thanks to the assholes at DVS selling a $140,000 computer without having any RAID monitoring software installed 5 drives failed in the two RAIDs without anyone knowing. One of the RAIDs has a bad stripe, the other may or may not be recoverable. On top of that Adaptec's lovely software doesn't allow you to monitor the hard drive temperatures so I suspect that the problem is heat. It's also out of warranty because my company decided to not get a $30,000 support contract.

Anyway, I want to replace the Cheetahs with SSDs because I don't want to deal with this again. This system will be doing some heavy video editing, as well as high frame rate 4K playback over HDMI & SDI (48, 60, maybe even 120fps in the far far far future). Due to the system configuration I'm limited to 2.5" form factor drives, and if I'm reading the OP right my best bet would probably be the Intel DC series. Am I right in thinking this, and could you recommend a particular model number?

Also, the compatibility data on the Adaptech 51245 with SSDs is from 2013. Does anyone have any experience running newer SSDs on slight older RAID controllers?

Thanks

Risket fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 6, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What sort of sustained transfer rates do you require? A lone SSD on 6 GB/s SATA can deliver around 500 MB/s read and 300 MB/s write in the best cases, I don't know if RAID controllers are actually able to improve on that.

Intel's datacenter SSDs will probably work for the kind of workload, but Samsung's 850 Pro series should also be suitable.
Pretty much any SATA or SAS attached SSD sold today is 2.5" form factor, the only exception being the 60 TB monstrosity Seagate has.

Consider PCI-e storage instead, if you have enough free slots and lanes, you can reach above 3 GB/s with single cards of those. Of course that requires OS support and possibly extra drivers.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Risket posted:

Anyway, I want to replace the Cheetahs with SSDs because I don't want to deal with this again. This system will be doing some heavy video editing, as well as high frame rate 4K playback (48, 60, maybe even 120fps in the far far far future). Due to the system configuration I'm limited to 2.5" form factor drives, and if I'm reading the OP right my best bet would probably be the Intel DC series. Am I right in thinking this, and could you recommend a particular model number?
Thanks
if you have a board revision c.1 or better the 845dc pro is a much better option

the 850 pro is for all intents and purposes the same drive and much cheaper but is not officially warrantied for enterprise uses like this.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/M2M/html/ssd845dcpro/compatibility.html#ssd845dcpro_adaptec

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Risket posted:

Anyway, I want to replace the Cheetahs with SSDs because I don't want to deal with this again. This system will be doing some heavy video editing, as well as high frame rate 4K playback over HDMI & SDI (48, 60, maybe even 120fps in the far far far future). Due to the system configuration I'm limited to 2.5" form factor drives, and if I'm reading the OP right my best bet would probably be the Intel DC series. Am I right in thinking this, and could you recommend a particular model number?

Also, the compatibility data on the Adaptech 51245 with SSDs is from 2013. Does anyone have any experience running newer SSDs on slight older RAID controllers?

You may be able to get by with just software RAID-1 or RAID-0 & SSDs, and skip the RAID controller altogether. I have 2x1tb Samsung 850 software RAID-0, and it's as fast as you would expect (2x), so if you were to take 4x SSDs, I think you'll easily match your 12x custom RAID setup, with a lot less hassle, noise, heat, and cost.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 6, 2016

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

nielsm posted:

What sort of sustained transfer rates do you require?
That's a moving target, not really sure. It's depending on the content, resolution, frame rate, etc... The playback is generated from the actually frame by frame stills, not an encoded clip so I would have to do the math.

nielsm posted:

Consider PCI-e storage instead, if you have enough free slots and lanes, you can reach above 3 GB/s with single cards of those. Of course that requires OS support and possibly extra drivers.
I don't have any free slots at the moment, and the existing RAIDs are 6TB each, so the price would be astronomical unless my Google skills are failing me.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

if you have a board revision c.1 or better the 845dc pro is a much better option

the 850 pro is for all intents and purposes the same drive and much cheaper but is not officially warrantied for enterprise uses like this.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/M2M/html/ssd845dcpro/compatibility.html#ssd845dcpro_adaptec
I'll take a look, thanks.

Love the typo on that page. Nice job proof reading Samsung!

Risket fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 6, 2016

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Skandranon posted:

You may be able to get by with just software RAID-1 or RAID-0 & SSDs, and skip the RAID controller altogether. I have 2x1tb Samsung 850 software RAID-0, and it's as fast as you would expect (2x), so if you were to take 4x SSDs, I think you'll easily match your 12x custom RAID setup, with a lot less hassle, noise, and heat, and cost.
Great idea, but not really an option in this system. The motherboard doesn't have any onboard SATA/SAS ports, so the only way I could do this would be to get a PCI-e SATA adapter and install it in place of a RAID controller.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Risket posted:

Great idea, but not really an option in this system. The motherboard doesn't have any onboard SATA/SAS ports, so the only way I could do this would be to get a PCI-e SATA adapter and install it in place of a RAID controller.

Well, try with current RAID card, and worst case scenario, a relatively inexpensive SATA or RAID card.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So for a mid range gaming PC/laptop is the Evo 960 the best bet these days? Last time I checked the Evo 8 series was the go to consumer range. I would like a good deal but I don't need to pay the cheapest price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hadlock posted:

So for a mid range gaming PC/laptop is the Evo 960 the best bet these days? Last time I checked the Evo 8 series was the go to consumer range. I would like a good deal but I don't need to pay the cheapest price.

It depends. The 960 EVO is a NVMe drive and accordingly expensive. The 850 EVO comes in M.2 and 2.5in formats, and is SATA 3, not NVMe. That is to say it's significantly less expensive.

The Sandisk x400 is generally cheaper than the 850 EVO and about as good.