Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'm dumb and can't get VPN working on my EdgeRouter Lite. Is there a Pi solution or something equally inexpensive I could use? I don't have the scratch to build a full desktop (even though that would be more fun).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

:awesome:
Tell me that is on a server or something.. not a home computer. What's the network speed, 10G?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

thiazi posted:

I haven't done any real testing. My best response is "fast enough that I can't tell when I'm on the base station vs the mesh points." My internet connection is 50/5, it is more than good enough to saturate that even from the mesh points.

I could maybe try to do some better testing when I'm home.

I wouldn't mind if you could see how different it is. I have gigabit internet but honestly if I can get 100mbit that's plenty fast for streaming

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

I'm dumb and can't get VPN working on my EdgeRouter Lite. Is there a Pi solution or something equally inexpensive I could use? I don't have the scratch to build a full desktop (even though that would be more fun).

Pis aren't very good for VPN since their ethernet interface and processing power are pretty limited.

What kind of VPN are you trying to set up - IPSec over L2TP or OpenVPN? If the former, I might be able to give you a hand.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

smax posted:

For the modem: it's hard to go wrong with an Arris Surfboard. I'd suggest the SB6183, you can find them refurbished on Amazon or eBay for cheap sometimes.

For the router: how network/technically inclined are you? If you don't want to deal with setting things up too much, the TP-Link Archer C7 or C9 are safe bets. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty setting things up, then a Ubiquiti ER-X plus a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR.

Just to piggy back off this:

I see the Surfboard lists itself as both a modem and a router, will that be problematic?

And what kinda benefits would I be getting from the Ubiquiti set? I'm pretty "tech savvy" but I'm wholly a software guy over hardware.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

LODGE NORTH posted:

Just to piggy back off this:

I see the Surfboard lists itself as both a modem and a router, will that be problematic?

And what kinda benefits would I be getting from the Ubiquiti set? I'm pretty "tech savvy" but I'm wholly a software guy over hardware.

The SB6183 is a modem only, you'd need to get a separate router/WIFI access point as well. There are some Surfboard models that are combo modem/router units. EDIT: Here's a certified refurbished one for $60.

The main benefit of the Ubiquiti stuff is customizability. You can do all sorts of fun things with their routers like host VPN servers, run DDNS update services, run multiple LANs/VLANs, etc. Their access points are powered by power over ethernet (so you don't have to run a separate power cable to them and you can put them somewhere else in the house), you can add multiple access points if you have a large/awkward layout, and they allow you to run multiple separate SSIDs/LANs if you want to segregate traffic (for example, a guest SSID that can't see the devices on your main LAN).

If these aren't features you need, then you probably don't need the Ubiquiti stuff. If any of that sounds interesting, then their hardware is very reasonably-priced considering the enterprise-level options you get. Some of those features aren't exactly user-friendly though, so be warned that you'll have to dig into a bunch of information to figure out how to set things up. It's not too incredibly complicated, but you'll definitely want to do your homework.

smax fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 4, 2016

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

redeyes posted:

:awesome:
Tell me that is on a server or something.. not a home computer. What's the network speed, 10G?

Guilty. 10gig on a old spare server. Chances are the server hardware is holding it back.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

smax posted:

Pis aren't very good for VPN since their ethernet interface and processing power are pretty limited.

What kind of VPN are you trying to set up - IPSec over L2TP or OpenVPN? If the former, I might be able to give you a hand.

No strong preference. My use case is just connecting to my home network while on the road in case I need to restart a printer or something.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Ynglaur posted:

No strong preference. My use case is just connecting to my home network while on the road in case I need to restart a printer or something.

Do you have an old computer lying around you could add a second NIC to? pfSense will do all of that and more

If not you can put together a pretty cheap system for it using atom based stuff that'll run a VPN for one or two users no problem.

Something like this, just install pfSense and add a decent USB NIC. https://www.amazon.com/Desktop-Computer-Windows-Processor-Bluetooth/dp/B01LRK1IJI/

e:
Or if you have enough old parts laying around from upgrades over the years, one of these, just add a case, memory, and hard drive. I've been running pfSense on one of these for close to 5 years now, it works fantastically.
https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Built-Celeron-Motherboard-GA-J1900N-D3V/dp/B00IW99S4A/

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 4, 2016

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

e.pilot posted:

Do you have an old computer lying around you could add a second NIC to? pfSense will do all of that and more

If not you can put together a pretty cheap system for it using atom based stuff that'll run a VPN for one or two users no problem.

Something like this, just install pfSense and add a decent USB NIC. https://www.amazon.com/Desktop-Computer-Windows-Processor-Bluetooth/dp/B01LRK1IJI/

e:
Or if you have enough old parts laying around from upgrades over the years, one of these, just add a case, memory, and hard drive. I've been running pfSense on one of these for close to 5 years now, it works fantastically.
https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Built-Celeron-Motherboard-GA-J1900N-D3V/dp/B00IW99S4A/

Thanks. I haven't owned a desktop since 2005 or so (I travel for work). Something like that mini-Intel box might do the trick, though. Are there any small-form factor machines like that with decent NICs built in?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

89 posted:

I just got Gigabit internet, but I have no idea if my speed is correct. I know not to expect 1000MBps, but I figure 600-800 is realistic. I thought Speedtest.net was the benchmark, but I'm getting different numbers with every speed testing service.

I'm just trying to make sure I'm getting the 600-800 that is realistic with this service, but I don't know what speed test to believe. I've been tearing my hair out going through all of my network settings.

Testing a gig connection is tricky. Speedtest.net works for me, but only if I use the at&t server local to me.

Try to find a server local to your connection on the same network, or find something like a webhost with test files in a major metro area.

It's rare for me to find a site that can push more than 300-400 down to me. I can max my connection downloading a 100MB test file from linode Dallas using a download accelerator.

When testing make sure you plug directly into your equipment to remove any other equipment that might slow you down.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

How were you trying to set it up before? I've had good luck setting up IPSec over L2TP VPNs on Edgerouters before. There are a few decent guides out there to do it with relatively little effort.

PM me if you'd like me to walk you through it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Ynglaur posted:

Thanks. I haven't owned a desktop since 2005 or so (I travel for work). Something like that mini-Intel box might do the trick, though. Are there any small-form factor machines like that with decent NICs built in?

For a two or three user home network any just about any NIC should work well enough.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

thiazi posted:

I haven't done any real testing. My best response is "fast enough that I can't tell when I'm on the base station vs the mesh points." My internet connection is 50/5, it is more than good enough to saturate that even from the mesh points.

I could maybe try to do some better testing when I'm home.

Well I was looking on eBay and found a "used for testing" LR version for $175 and since I've been having issues with signal in one room I jumped on it. Hope I'm not disappointed

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Reviews of Google Wifi are coming out. Can the mesh network work with multiple wired connections? Specifically I'm thinking of having one hooked up directly to modem and another unit hooked up via powerline networking.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Cicero posted:

Reviews of Google Wifi are coming out. Can the mesh network work with multiple wired connections? Specifically I'm thinking of having one hooked up directly to modem and another unit hooked up via powerline networking.

There is no technical reason why it can't. It just depends on how smart the APs are. I assume Google would make their mesh APs smart enough to handle multiple wired base stations but I don't know.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Plume, the tiny mesh network of one device-per-room size, is apparently now shipping. Eero a short while ago doubled the "wired network performance" and implemented "true mesh" allegedly from data mining.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 6, 2016

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I don't currently use wifi and have everything wired going to into a switch which then goes into an Ubiquiti Edgerouter lite - I'm now getting an Amazon Echo so need to add some wifi access to my lan. I don't need anything clever as its just wifi access for one or two devices which will be within a couple of meters line of sight to the wap.

Whats the simplest way to add wifi - just get a cheap wireless router and connect its WAN port to the switch ? I'm trying to figure out whether DHCP would need disabling on the wireless router (as theres DHCP running on the Edgerouter) ?

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

You can either grab a consumer grade wifi router and use it as an AP (turn off DHCP and ignore the WAN port) or pick up a Ubiquiti AP such as the AP-AC-Lite. Since you already have an Edgerouter why not stick with Ubiquiti? I have two AC Lite APs myself and they are great.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
The UAP-AC-Lite might be overkill, but it is drat reliable. Mine has been rock solid.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Since Google Wifi only has one LAN port, what options would I have for my situation where I need four wired ports? Probably none, and probably Google Wifi isn't for me, since that's more of a power user thing, yes?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Golbez posted:

Since Google Wifi only has one LAN port, what options would I have for my situation where I need four wired ports? Probably none, and probably Google Wifi isn't for me, since that's more of a power user thing, yes?
You just add a network switch.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You just add a network switch.

Oh. ... Good point. Kind of embarrassed that hadn't occurred to me. Thanks!

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

god this blows posted:

I wouldn't mind if you could see how different it is. I have gigabit internet but honestly if I can get 100mbit that's plenty fast for streaming

ArsTechnica has a really nice write up today on several of the mesh network offerings, including the Amplifi and Google Wifi. It has real coverage maps and throughput numbers, which I think you'll appreciate much more than anything I can put together. The author of that article also links to another similar test he did recently for the Wirecutter, which touched on a few of the other mesh competitors. Wish I'd had all that info a few months ago - I'm very happy with the Amplifi but after reading those two articles I may have gone a different direction.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Plume did well in that test but unfortunately their Eero devices broke on firmware update.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

thiazi posted:

ArsTechnica has a really nice write up today on several of the mesh network offerings, including the Amplifi and Google Wifi. It has real coverage maps and throughput numbers, which I think you'll appreciate much more than anything I can put together. The author of that article also links to another similar test he did recently for the Wirecutter, which touched on a few of the other mesh competitors. Wish I'd had all that info a few months ago - I'm very happy with the Amplifi but after reading those two articles I may have gone a different direction.

That is a good article and I read it today. I was looking at wireless extenders as there is only one room in my house that doesn't get good signal I think I will be happy with anything to improve things.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I got hit with the stupid Epson/Google Cloud Print mess the other day, so I did a little futzing with my router while I was trying to figure out what the hell was going on. That seems to have caused a problem with my Windows 10 desktop that's wired to the router. Every time I wake it up, it can't connect to the Internet. I have to open up Powershell and do ipconfig /release (which gives an error "An error occurred while releasing interface Ethernet : An address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint.") followed by ipconfig /renew. Today, I tried just doing the renew, thinking that the error meant release wasn't doing anything, but I had to do both still.

I have a Netgear WNDR3700v3. I know I toggled SSID broadcasting on and then back off, but I don't think I did anything else. What could be causing my Ethernet connectivity problems?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

thiazi posted:

I love you for this article and additionally love the article for introducing me to netspot. Seeing my network wireless strength as an overlay on my house map is great stuff!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I'm getting some access points to help fully cover my dad's house (and as much of his property as I can) with wifi. 802.11ac isn't needed, as he doesn't own anything that supports it.

The house has one big room with very tall ceilings, and few walls overall, but the property is of a decent size. The house has a huge basement under the whole thing, so I can install these under the floor, or up near the top of the tall room.

Which of these would you choose? I can get four Buffalo WAPS-APG600Hs, two D-Link DAP-2360s, two Araknis AN-100-AP-I-Ns, or some combination.

I don't know anything about Buffalo's wifi equipment, am not familiar with D-link's professional stuff (though the plenum rating is nice), and I've never heard of Araknis but it seems well-made.

Also I can get these for like $10 each.

Which?

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 10, 2016

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I got an edgerouter x, and I'm getting an IPv6 address on the WAN from my modem, but I'm not getting IPv6 on my LAN. Could this be an a lack of support from my ISP or does Ubiquiti have spotty IPv6 support? I'm seeing a lot of stuff online about emerging IPv6 support in newer firmware versions, and also about how to configure IPv6 on certain ISPs.

I did some tinkering with the firewall rules and dhcpv6-pd, but no dice.

Honestly I don't think I really need IPv6 but it'd be nice to have I guess. But probably not worth messing with if support is limited. I think it worked on my old linksys router, but I haven't taken the time to hook it back up to check :shrug:

My ISP is Mediacom residential by the way

Baxate fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 11, 2016

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I got an edgerouter x, and I'm getting an IPv6 address on the WAN from my modem, but I'm not getting IPv6 on my LAN. Could this be an a lack of support from my ISP or does Ubiquiti have spotty IPv6 support? I'm seeing a lot of stuff online about emerging IPv6 support in newer firmware versions, and also about how to configure IPv6 on certain ISPs.

I did some tinkering with the firewall rules and dhcpv6-pd, but no dice.

Honestly I don't think I really need IPv6 but it'd be nice to have I guess. But probably not worth messing with if support is limited. I think it worked on my old linksys router, but I haven't taken the time to hook it back up to check :shrug:

My ISP is Mediacom residential by the way

I had to reboot my Edgerouter Lite to get an IPv6 address on my LAN interface. Once I get home I'll share my ipv6 config that I've got on it.

e. Oh yeah, VPN is a thing.

Before you start doing more configs, make sure you're on the latest firmware (v1.9). Googling around shows that Mediacom gives a /64 to residential customers, so the config should be the same (maybe besides the interfaces you used for LAN/WAN)

http://pastebin.com/0cdAqF63

You delegate a prefix to the LAN interface on the WAN interface. Once you commit the changes it ~should~ fire off a script to configure the LAN interface, apparently older firmware versions had trouble with that. I included the IPv6 firewall settings as well, but if you're getting an address on your WAN then it's probably ok.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 12, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
1.9 breaks upnp so if thats important to you there is a few commands you have to run on CLI to make it work again. Will be fixed in next version.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

1.9 breaks upnp so if thats important to you there is a few commands you have to run on CLI to make it work again. Will be fixed in next version.

This explains why my brand new Edgerouter X is sitting unplugged right now. I updated to the latest firmware, got through the 2LAN2 wizard and then turned on UPnP and things didn't "just work" so I went back to my Time Capsule. Was going to fiddle with it over Xmas break but now I will wait until the newest patch.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Smashing Link posted:

This explains why my brand new Edgerouter X is sitting unplugged right now. I updated to the latest firmware, got through the 2LAN2 wizard and then turned on UPnP and things didn't "just work" so I went back to my Time Capsule. Was going to fiddle with it over Xmas break but now I will wait until the newest patch.

Its really simple to fix. Open cli from the gui.

Do these 2 commands

iptables -t nat -N MINIUPNPD-POSTROUTING
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MINIUPNPD-POSTROUTING

eth0 should be changed to your wan interface

Thats it. You have to do it again if you restart the router (Which you should rarely be doing)

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
My Netgear r7000 is starting to give me some weird wireless problems, add to that some of the security issues that have been popping up for netgear lately and I think I'm ready to dump it.

Just as a background, here is what I have in the house:
- everything wired is cat6
- wired devices: gaming Desktop, media server, NAS, PS3, 2 NVidia Shield TV's, Fire TV
- Wireless devices: 2 iPhones, iPad, 2 laptops, Kindle, Fire TV stick
- current network hardware: Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO-US, 2 tp-link unmanaged switches, whatever Surfboard modem is recommended in the OP, and a netgear r7000
- Three wireless separate SSIDs: one 5ghz, one 2.4, and a guest 2.4ghz

I'm thinking all I need to do is grab an Edgerouter X and another UAP-AC-PRO (and maybe another switch), dump the r7000 and I should be good to go? Right now the chances of having more than two streaming devices operating at once are pretty slim, but once the kid gets a little older that may change.

One thing I would like to do is give priority to my gaming computer so when my wife is watching Netflix or something my ping doesn't take a poo poo like it currently does. I don't see any noticeable lag when she's streaming something from the media server and I am playing a game. I assume priority routing is pretty easy to set up with the Ubiquiti software?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I wasn't going to post this since it requires you open web management to the internet, but since you mentioned Netgear...

https://slashdot.org/story/16/12/11/1832234/vulnerability-prompts-warning-stop-using-netgear-wifi-routers

quote:

"By convincing a user to visit a specially crafted web site, a remote attacker may execute arbitrary commands with root privileges on affected routers," warns a new vulnerability notice from Carnegie Mellon University's CERT. Slashdot reader chicksdaddy quotes Security Ledger's story about certain models of Netgear's routers:
Firmware version 1.0.7.2_1.1.93 (and possibly earlier) for the R7000 and version 1.0.1.6_1.0.4 (and possibly earlier) for the R6400 are known to contain the arbitrary command injection vulnerability. CERT cited "community reports" that indicate the R8000, firmware version 1.0.3.4_1.1.2, is also vulnerable... The flaw was found in new firmware that runs the Netgear R7000 and R6400 routers. Other models and firmware versions may also be affected, including the R8000 router, CMU CERT warned.

With no work around to the flaw, CERT recommended that Netgear customers disable their wifi router until a software patch from the company that addressed the hole was available... A search of the public internet using the Shodan search engine finds around 8,000 R6450 and R7000 devices that can be reached directly from the Internet and that would be vulnerable to takeover attacks. The vast majority of those are located in the United States.

Proof-of-concept exploit code was released by a Twitter user who, according to the article, said "he informed Netgear of the flaw more than four months ago, but did not hear back from the company since then."

In regards to your question for making it so that when your wife streams your pings don't go to poo poo, if it's not a wireless issue, which it isn't because your stuff is hard wired, it would require something called QoS. The problem is, you can't really apply QoS to download traffic using your router, only upload traffic. The reason being is that your ISP is going to send whatever traffic your way, regardless if your router then goes "no wait do it in this order." You can read a better explanation here - http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2621329/setting-qos.html

The real solution? More bandwidth from your ISP.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 12, 2016

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Its really simple to fix. Open cli from the gui.

Do these 2 commands

iptables -t nat -N MINIUPNPD-POSTROUTING
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MINIUPNPD-POSTROUTING

eth0 should be changed to your wan interface

Thats it. You have to do it again if you restart the router (Which you should rarely be doing)

Thanks! Will give it a try.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

I wasn't going to post this since it requires you open web management to the internet, but since you mentioned Netgear...

https://slashdot.org/story/16/12/11/1832234/vulnerability-prompts-warning-stop-using-netgear-wifi-routers

In regards to your question for making it so that when your wife streams your pings don't go to poo poo, if it's not a wireless issue, which it isn't because your stuff is hard wired, it would require something called QoS. The problem is, you can't really apply QoS to download traffic using your router, only upload traffic. The reason being is that your ISP is going to send whatever traffic your way, regardless if your router then goes "no wait do it in this order." You can read a better explanation here - http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2621329/setting-qos.html

The real solution? More bandwidth from your ISP.

I guess I never really thought about, but it makes sense that QoS wouldn't make a difference. Oh well, luckily I don't really do a ton of gaming anymore.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm using a Bitron CGNM-3552-RES router/modem combo from my ISP for my Gigabit internet. I've hit 800+MBps before on it using Google Fiber's speedtests (never with Speedtest.net). Right now I'm hitting 261 MBps. Is this router/modem combo totally poo poo? Would switching to another router give me significant speed increase? That's hardwired. I don't use my Wifi for much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

atomicthumbs posted:

I'm getting some access points to help fully cover my dad's house (and as much of his property as I can) with wifi. 802.11ac isn't needed, as he doesn't own anything that supports it.

The house has one big room with very tall ceilings, and few walls overall, but the property is of a decent size. The house has a huge basement under the whole thing, so I can install these under the floor, or up near the top of the tall room.

Which of these would you choose? I can get four Buffalo WAPS-APG600Hs, two D-Link DAP-2360s, two Araknis AN-100-AP-I-Ns, or some combination.

I don't know anything about Buffalo's wifi equipment, am not familiar with D-link's professional stuff (though the plenum rating is nice), and I've never heard of Araknis but it seems well-made.

Also I can get these for like $10 each.

Which?

The Buffalo units are the only ones that support 5 Ghz band, so I would choose those. Five GHz Wi-Fi doesn't travel as far, but equipment that supports two bands is almost always newer and better than equipment that doesn't.