Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've definitely had issues with the Vive where if the controller can't see both base stations, it just gives up and flies across the room in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If controller throwing is such a big problem it should have a locking strap like the wiimote.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Looks like Oculus sent out the keys last night for everybody who was missing them. So yay.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

w00tazn posted:

Have those games been updated for touch? or do they still show the vive wands? Also do you have to run that FakeVive patch for Google Earth still? https://github.com/Shockfire/FakeVive

This (and of course the Nvidia funhouse while running AMD) did not let me load last night, so thank you for the link

Also keen for a friends list because noone else I know is going to get an HMD.

... I had trouble getting steamvr working as I had previously been toying with that leap-motion/vive wand program. If anyone else finds the same and re-installing doesn't work, try the specific options for restarting services, clearing caches etc within the steamvr settings.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Does anyone know the level of involvement of VALVe vs HTC with the Vive? VALVe is obviously prototyping hardware and doing Steam OS, but where does HTC figure into it? Distribution and manufacturing only?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Nalin posted:

Looks like Oculus sent out the keys last night for everybody who was missing them. So yay.

Yeah, I was going to email support this morning, but I just got my bundle code. Now I just to wait for the delivery today and I can start throwing up the business guns in VR.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Warbird posted:

Does anyone know the level of involvement of VALVe vs HTC with the Vive? VALVe is obviously prototyping hardware and doing Steam OS, but where does HTC figure into it? Distribution and manufacturing only?

From the prototyping, it looks like Valve did everything but the final consumer skin. Now, HTC (and partners) may be advancing the main headset while Valve is working on peripherals (for fun) and SteamVR to ensure ALL headsets work with their client.

The real question is, when will Valve will get back to gaming? I mean large swaths of their staff were game developers only, what the gently caress happened to them all?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

So I got the code for VR Sports Challenge and The Unspoken, but how do I get the other 6 pieces of free software?

Medium, Dead and Buried, and all the other stuff I heard was going to be free are all showing with price tags in the Oculus store.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

AndrewP posted:

I wanna see what people think of the Climb.

Didn't see a response to this. Will try it with Touch tonight, but the original version is easily my favorite (pre-Touch) game. It's super chill, very tight controls, and beautiful. Your palms get very sweaty thinking about how sweaty your palms would be if you were hanging from a cliff by your fingernails.

And as someone who does get motion sick in VR, this game was surprisingly the easiest to adapt to. Probably because you spend most of your time staring at a wall, and when you leap across a cavern, you're very, VERY focused on making the jump that you tunnel-vision to the grip on the opposite cliff.

Tip posted:

So I got the code for VR Sports Challenge and The Unspoken, but how do I get the other 6 pieces of free software?

Medium, Dead and Buried, and all the other stuff I heard was going to be free are all showing with price tags in the Oculus store.

Activate Touch controllers and they'll be added to your library.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Pryce posted:

Activate Touch controllers and they'll be added to your library.

Thanks.

It's a little annoying that they make it impossible for me to download them while I wait for delivery today.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just got the touch controls in the mail at work. Took em out and looked them over. What are the round bits near the buttons? Led covers?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Tip posted:

You get them when you turn on your touch controllers. What worries me is that these games have price tags, so for how long are they free with Touch? Hopefully the people who are waiting until christmas to open it up still get them for free.

Alan Is More Upset posted:

Just got the touch controls in the mail at work. Took em out and looked them over. What are the round bits near the buttons? Led covers?

I think it's a capacitive spot to rest your thumb.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Tip posted:

It's a little annoying that they make it impossible for me to download them while I wait for delivery today.

I can't even preload everything, there's no way to fit all this poo poo on an SSD. The Lab takes like 12GB, Eve Valkerie is 14GB. I guess I gotta go buy a bigger drive. Usually I could just add and remove Steam games as I play and beat them, but VR games are more like bouncing casually from one to the other or showing them off to friends so you have to keep a big stable of titles.

Cojawfee posted:

I think it's a capacitive spot to rest your thumb.

I think his guess might have been right, judging from this prototype it looks like it's where LEDs are:

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 6, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Its nice to see revive really trucking and making it pretty obvious how artificial the limits are Oculus put in place.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Thor-Stryker posted:

The real question is, when will Valve will get back to gaming? I mean large swaths of their staff were game developers only, what the gently caress happened to them all?

Probably all working on pet projects. I'm expecting Half Life 3 to come out supporting Smell-o-Vision and wireless teledildonics.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Its nice to see revive really trucking and making it pretty obvious how artificial the limits are Oculus put in place.

Please stop.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Not worth it. For those who want to read up on the revive changes they made a recent big update:

quote:

I wanted to release version 1.0 to make sure you guys are set up with the latest refinement of the Oculus Touch emulation. Though with the large number of Oculus Touch titles that will be released tomorrow there will probably be issues to fix. If you encounter any report them in the issue tracker.
This release also includes an optional automatic update checker. I will release updates more often without announcing them here, so I highly recommend you turn it on. This allows me to more quickly release new versions as problems come to light. It's not a background updater though, so it will still ask you for permission before changing anything.
Let me know in the comments how this new release works for you.
UPDATE: The download link for 1.0 was not available for the first few hours of this post. If you downloaded it before this post was 3 hours old, you downloaded an older release.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 6, 2016

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
So Arizona Sunshine comes out today. Would be cool to hear some opinions of it from people who took the plunge. I'm holding off until there's some feedback but it looks cool at least.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Its nice to see how a relatively mild and observatory post is received while this:

Is well regarded. Never change thread.

Everyone gave him poo poo for it too, if you read the thread. You both are out of line and distracting from people who are trying to have fun.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
im mad about gifs

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Pryce posted:

Everyone gave him poo poo for it too, if you read the thread. You both are out of line and distracting from people who are trying to have fun.

I'm just making a point that a single developer is showing that the limits imposed by Oculus are artificial. Its good that we have revive, but I wish Oculus would just support Vive out the gate, as it is clearly possible. I think this is a valid point of discussion and I am not trying to wave any dicks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pryce posted:

Please stop.

Why? Locking the vive out is pretty dumb on their part.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

Why? Locking the vive out is pretty dumb on their part.

Could.... could we bridge these stilted waters?

Cross-platform content is a rising tide that raises all VR platforms equally. Since we all have motion controls we should all be able to hold each others hands in VR.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Thor-Stryker posted:

From my chats with an acquaintance there, more than a few members of the Dota2 team spend more than a little time lurking /r/Dota2. I suspect the CSGO guys do the same. Their weird pancake structure means that projects have extremely variable amounts resources available to them, so large projects like a game rear end game are fairly unlikely unless someone champions it coerces others to help.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Bhodi posted:

I pre-ordered ~35m after the rift went on sale in Jan and I'm still waiting for my touch shipping info :negative:
so I just got an email with the shipping info and game codes, and apparently it's out for delivery :eyepop:

I guess their system was hugely backed up but they truckloaded all the units into UPS days ago

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Cross-platform content is a rising tide that raises all VR platforms equally. Since we all have motion controls we should all be able to hold each others hands in VR.

Okay we can all agree on that. Handshakes all around :)

In other news... has anyone been able to try Accounting with touch controllers yet? Super excited for more from Justin Roiland and/or CrowsCrowsCrows.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

I never had anything against you aside from your weird need to attack anyone who liked the Rift.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just realized I'm going to need to take down a ceiling fan in the emtpy vr room in my house.

:negative:

1st world problems.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I can't wait wait to play sweet VR games with Vivers. I'd also like to get PSVR players in there too.

VR hands are waiting in my car while I work. Torture.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

AndrewP posted:

I can't wait wait to play sweet VR games with Vivers. I'd also like to get PSVR players in there too.

You're sounding kind of sick, are you sure you're feeling ok?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

AndrewP posted:

For once I'm glad the UPS guy usually doesn't hit my place until around 4:30.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Alan Is More Upset posted:

I just realized I'm going to need to take down a ceiling fan in the emtpy vr room in my house.

:negative:

1st world problems.

My Mom is like a home flipping pro and assures me that ceiling fans are in fact dumb and replacing them with flush panel lighting will make your room appear bigger and less cluttered.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Aphex- posted:

So Arizona Sunshine comes out today. Would be cool to hear some opinions of it from people who took the plunge. I'm holding off until there's some feedback but it looks cool at least.

I grabbed it, downloading now (13gb space required though, so pretty big). I figured there was a 15% discount for preordering, and worse case I can refund it since it's one Steam.

Will report back.

Warbird posted:

From my chats with an acquaintance there, more than a few members of the Dota2 team spend more than a little time lurking /r/Dota2. I suspect the CSGO guys do the same. Their weird pancake structure means that projects have extremely variable amounts resources available to them, so large projects like a game rear end game are fairly unlikely unless someone champions it coerces others to help.

They've been hinting they have something big planned involving VR; I'm guessing a AAA VR game since they don't have to worry about the small market as much as most devs. Lots of people are thinking something in the Portal or VR series, but I wouldn't be surprised at something new.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Zero VGS posted:

My Mom is like a home flipping pro and assures me that ceiling fans are in fact dumb and replacing them with flush panel lighting will make your room appear bigger and less cluttered.

This actually looks pretty good. Tell your mom I said thanks. wink

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Steam is offering 100k loans that only have to be paid back in steam purchases. I think they can afford to back a AAA VR game and eat any losses until VR gets bigger.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug

The controller in that image is a early prototype.

Think this one is more up to date:

The "circle" next to the AB or XY buttons is a capacitive spot to rest your thumb when not touching any buttons, I think. But some images make it look like a speaker grille? Both? I dunno. My controllers are still on a brown truck bumping around town.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Pryce posted:

Okay we can all agree on that. Handshakes all around :)

In other news... has anyone been able to try Accounting with touch controllers yet? Super excited for more from Justin Roiland and/or CrowsCrowsCrows.

I liked Accounting for what it was, but it's still just a 20 minute experience of being (hilariously) yelled at while taking probably less than twenty actions throughout the course of the entire game.

Between the various tech demo type apps I've tried (including the paid ones), vs short games like House of the Dying Sun or games with good VR integration (Elite: Dangerous) and bad VR integration (War Thunder), I'm finding that I tend to prefer seated experiences that don't involve the touch controls. Really, something that I'd look forward to (although the devs have already stated it's not happening until/unless they switch engines) would be added VR support to Rocket League.

There's been nothing in roomscale that's wowed me; I had a roomscale setup at one point and now I just spend a few minutes clearing the space out first and move furniture if I want to try roomscale out.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Syves posted:

The controller in that image is a early prototype.

Think this one is more up to date:

The "circle" next to the AB or XY buttons is a capacitive spot to rest your thumb when not touching any buttons, I think. But some images make it look like a speaker grille? Both? I dunno. My controllers are still on a brown truck bumping around town.

Dev docs say textured thumb rest that it can detect the state of.

A link for those who care.

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 6, 2016

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Cojawfee posted:

Steam is offering 100k loans that only have to be paid back in steam purchases. I think they can afford to back a AAA VR game and eat any losses until VR gets bigger.

If they're confident that VR is going to take off (and they seem to be) it makes longterm sense. After all, a lot of people attribute Steam's success to the Half Life and Portal franchise, so something similar would be a reasonable way to try to ensure they do the same for VR games. And The Lab means they certainly have the experience and capability for a major VR title.

So yeah, that's why my money is on Valve concentrating on a big Steam VR game. Maybe with a flatscreen mode, maybe not, but I'm sure it will be designed ground up for Steam VR with motion controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Olesh posted:

I liked Accounting for what it was, but it's still just a 20 minute experience of being (hilariously) yelled at while taking probably less than twenty actions throughout the course of the entire game.

Between the various tech demo type apps I've tried (including the paid ones), vs short games like House of the Dying Sun or games with good VR integration (Elite: Dangerous) and bad VR integration (War Thunder), I'm finding that I tend to prefer seated experiences that don't involve the touch controls. Really, something that I'd look forward to (although the devs have already stated it's not happening until/unless they switch engines) would be added VR support to Rocket League.

There's been nothing in roomscale that's wowed me; I had a roomscale setup at one point and now I just spend a few minutes clearing the space out first and move furniture if I want to try roomscale out.

There's just not much content for standing/roomscale stuff yet. I think if your options were like Centipede and Galaga or Space Pirate Trainer you'd feel differently. Of course, adoption needs to go way way up before we start getting those more mature games for VR