Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Leon Einstein posted:

I don't think the smoke break one is unreasonable. Why do smokers feel they're entitled to more breaks than people that aren't jacking up the group health insurance rates?

Yea smoke breaks are some bullshit. I want breaks and to not get cancer.

It's weird because it sounds like he's in an office environment and most white collar jobs are cool with you getting up and taking a break kinda whenever as long as your work is getting done. I tend to associate the idea of smoke breaks with retail or food service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Do you guys work places where you can only get breaks if you smoke?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's because telling a human being precisely how many short breaks they can take in a workday is explicitly dehumanizing and unreasonable and it's a drat shame that anyone is forced to tolerate such nonsense. Whether you use that break to smoke or not is orthogonal.
Yeah, people should just be able to work when they feel like it. God forbid their employer has a say in it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

Yeah, people should just be able to work when they feel like it. God forbid their employer has a say in it.
won't somebody please think of the poor job creators

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Do you guys work places where you can only get breaks if you smoke?

Not currently, but I have worked in places where smokers get smoke breaks in addition to their regular breaks and non-smokers get their regular breaks but don't have access to these bonus ones unless they smoke.

Leon Einstein posted:

Oh come on you know what he meant.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Leon Einstein posted:

People and their employer should have a good faith agreement on either side. If your employee can't be trusted to get their work done without you micromanaging how much break time they have, don't employ them. If your employer won't trust you to manage your own time to complete the tasks assigned, then I hope you have a choice and stop working for them.

WampaLord posted:

Not currently, but I have worked in places where smokers get smoke breaks in addition to their regular breaks and non-smokers get their regular breaks but don't have access to these bonus ones unless they smoke.
This *is* unreasonable and probably only happens when you get the winning combination of an employer who is both anal retentive and smokes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 6, 2016

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Oh poo poo, that's weird.

It still sounds like the redditor works in some place that overmanages his time, but if he's getting regular breaks on top of smoke breaks, then yeah he is kind of a baby.

It really sounds like he just doesn't like working for his wife, though. His wife, on the other hand, probably really needs him to obey the rules so there isn't an appearance of favoritism.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

It's because telling a human being precisely how many short breaks they can take in a workday is explicitly dehumanizing and unreasonable and it's a drat shame that anyone is forced to tolerate such nonsense. Whether you use that break to smoke or not is orthogonal.

Yeah, especially in an office environment you should just be able to take a break when you feel the need to. If someone is abusing breaks, it'll come through as reduced performance and they can be disciplined for that. Scheduling a less than five minute break and publicly calling out people being "off workflow" is ridiculous

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Oh poo poo, that's weird.

It still sounds like the redditor works in some place that overmanages his time, but if he's getting regular breaks on top of smoke breaks, then yeah he is kind of a baby.

It really sounds like he just doesn't like working for his wife, though. His wife, on the other hand, probably really needs him to obey the rules so there isn't an appearance of favoritism.
That depends on if the rules are reasonable or not - as someone who is "difficult" to punish(both as a husband and a well-respected senior employee), I'd argue he has a responsibility to break unreasonable rules visibly in an attempt to change them. He can be a bulwark against management railroading awful policies onto the other employees who won't have the wherewithal to stand up to them that he does.

Maybe I'm a cynic but my gut says the smoke break rule is explicitly targeted at him - 3 guesses as to how his wife feels about him smoking.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 6, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

he should unionise, as should the other employees.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

When I was a retail manager who smoked I just told everyone they were allowed to take the occasional unofficial 5 minute break to do whatever they wanted with as long as they didn't take the piss. I got to go smoke, the non-smoker's got to take a little walk or get some fresh air, everyone was happy, people didn't take the piss because they felt respected. It's not hard.

Now I work in an office and the concept of not being allowed to take 5 whenever baffles me in that context. Office jobs have loads of downtime anyway and if you're trying to solve a problem or whatever, taking a moment away from your desk is a good way to refresh your brain. I'll never understand managers who conflate time spent at your station with productivity.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Maybe I'm a cynic but my gut says the smoke break rule is explicitly targeted at him - 3 guesses as to how his wife feels about him smoking.

That's a good catch, I hadn't considered that angle.

No matter how you look at it, they definitely should not have promoted this dude's wife to manage him. That is so crazy to me.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
It's been proven a million times that breaks improve productivity overall and that generally speaking, excessively long hours and strict micromanagement simply reduces not only per hour productivity, but even overall output. The only places where it really benefits, and dubiously, is in places like call centres. People should be given free rein enough to make their decisions, and intervention is only necessary when it negatively impacts their performance.

Her "rules" sound atrocious, and naming and shaming people away from "workflow" for five minutes, no matter what, is horrendous. So is a need to have "scheduled and approved" breaks in advance. gently caress that.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

From that story a few pages back, the wife whose fiance (or whatever) wanted to ban her family from visiting:

quote:

Going into the whole backstory would take hours, but basically it's bad enough that I was NC for about two years and am now LC with everyone.

What do NC and LC mean? Since the goon who quoted that post bolded that sentence, I'm guessing it's something significant I'm missing.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Can we put a moratorium on people using sex as a verb? It's not, and just makes you look like you never have.

"Sex" can be a verb, though it means determining the sex of an animal. (I used to breed fish) So it makes sentences like "could you please clear a pathway so I can sex you eaiser?" hilarious to me because it reads like "hey, can you shave so I can tell if you've got a milt vent or an ovipositor under all that hair?"

It's also why this song made me snicker whenever I heard it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO6BtpIzIiM

yo gurl, lemme check dat cloaca

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If someone gets promoted to manager and their first official act is to crack down on BREAK CULTURE that person is a major rear end in a top hat. Ditto for implementing a name and shame policy on anyone whose dying ember of humanity compels them to attempt escape from the existential hell of a non-stop intellectual assembly line.

Sounds like the dude works for a lovely company and his wife just happens to embrace that company culture wholeheartedly.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 6, 2016

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
LC = low contact
NC = no contact

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

JacquelineDempsey posted:

From that story a few pages back, the wife whose fiance (or whatever) wanted to ban her family from visiting:

What do NC and LC mean? Since the goon who quoted that post bolded that sentence, I'm guessing it's something significant I'm missing.

No contact/low contact.

efb. She'd probably resigned herself to accepting a certain amount of abuse from mom in order to maintain a relationship with everyone else in the family.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Chomp8645 posted:

If someone gets promoted to manager and their first official act is to crack down on BREAK CULTURE that person is a major rear end in a top hat. Ditto for implementing a name and shame policy on anyone whose dying ember of humanity compels them to attempt escape from the existential hell of a non-stop intellectual assembly line.

Sounds like the dude works for a lovely company and his wife just happens to embrace that company culture wholeheartedly.

Gross I'm agreeing with you

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

he should unionise, as should the other employees.
Successfully starting a union at your workplace as a way to combat your own wife's workplace policies, now that would be an /r/relationships post for the ages.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Successfully starting a union at your workplace as a way to combat your own wife's workplace policies, now that would be an /r/relationships post for the ages.

The redditor who pulled that off would make Pete look like an rear end in a top hat by comparison.

e: This isn't an ultimatum. We're seizing the means of production.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i wonder what the guy who complained about smoke breaks thinks of office beers

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

boner confessor posted:

i wonder what the guy who complained about smoke breaks thinks of office beers
I wonder what kind of fit that redditor's wife would have if she knew about my "work from home naptime" policy

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Do they publicly shame you if you don't get pre-approved time off to poop in that office

Sounds like the husband needs to rally the workers to seize the means of production

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Guarantee you this will happen when his wife leaves:

http://www.theonion.com/article/boss-going-away-party-a-little-too-jubilant-1737

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and say that there's a reason the redditor, who's been there a long time and pretty much started the department he's working at, wasn't promoted. He's a fucktard and should be kept on a tight leash. Also he should probly support his wife when she's in a new position.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Syncopated posted:

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and say that there's a reason the redditor, who's been there a long time and pretty much started the department he's working at, wasn't promoted. He's a fucktard and should be kept on a tight leash. Also he should probly support his wife when she's in a new position.
He explicitly says he didn't want the position and thus did not apply. Not everyone wants to manage people and he discussed his reasons why. In fact he's viewed as a leadership figure without the title, and whether he wants it or not, that makes it his responsibility to stand up for his coworkers when management is unreasonable.

Having a job gets a lot bettter once you get out of boot-licking retail land. As soul-sucking as offices are, civil disobedience in the context of one often really does work.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Syncopated posted:

He did state that he chose not to apply for the role because he felt it was extra work for little compensation. Whether you choose to believe that it up to you. Internal promotions are often by application, and also often little more than a merit sticker and some more work on your plate.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
I [22f] am wondering if my boyfriend [26m] is trying to hint that he doesn't want handmade clothes from me anymore.

quote:

I've asked him directly twice and he denied it saying he appreciates my gifts but I'm confused by his behavior.

I've handmade my boyfriend a number of things from a clock, pickles, shelves, to a desk and he always seems to get a lot of use from them. But when I make him clothes he always buys an expensive version of what I made within months even if it is something he doesn't normally buy. He hadn't had a bathrobe for the whole first year I knew him but when I gifted him one I made as part of a Valentine's gift two weeks later he bought $300 robes for both of us because they were on "sale". So he only wears the one I made when the new one is dirty. I already had a robe he bought for me when I started staying over on weekends.

He did the same with socks, a sweater, a shirt, and underwear when I made 5 copies of his favorite pair. Last Christmas he complained I made his parents scarves and not him so I knit him one on the plane ride home. He seemed happy and then he bought a new scarf two days later despite previously having worn a scarf from middle school.

I've been sewing since I was 11 and have done it professionally as well. I don't think it is a quality/fit issue. I usually consult him on color for requested projects and stick to those when I'm making something as a surprise. My boyfriend has also once commented and said the yarn in the scarf I made is warmer and softer. But he kept wearing the store bought one?

tl;dr: my boyfriend always upgrades when I buy him clothes. He doesn't do this when I make other gifts, is this his way of telling me he doesn't want homemade clothes anymore?

E: Ah, in the earlier post I missed that he didn't apply.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

I was kind of shocked when the first two comments here were calling that guy a dickbag.

I mean, he does sound a bit pompous in the way he describes his reasoning ("but I just don't bend to the will of others because its beneficial" makes him sound like extremely stubborn and difficult to deal with).

However, his wife is both making poor management choices and also some that seem to be targeted at him. She probably does want to avoid charges of favoritism but if her policies suck I would definitely lead the charge against them, wife or not.

The answer, of course, is to go home, treat his wife to a lovely romantic evening with a rubdown and/or loving just the way she likes at the end. As she lies there in complete bliss, whisper into her ear "honey there is some research about break time at work and unreasonable time micro-management that I would like to present to you."

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Play posted:

I was kind of shocked when the first two comments here were calling that guy a dickbag.

people working in bad jobs without breaks probably

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Play posted:

whisper into her ear "honey there is some research about break time at work and unreasonable time micro-management that I would like to present to you."

I just got goosebumps.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah what the wife is doing in that story is out of line. "<5 minute breaks, scheduled and approved by me."

One of the only times I've agreed with managers in targeting BREAK CULTURE though is when people wait until 10 minutes before their scheduled break and then go to the bathroom. Usually staying in the bathroom or coming back to work to just turn around and leave again effectively extending breaks out 5-10 minutes at a time. In an office setting this doesn't matter but in a manufacturing / service industry you kind of have to be more strict on your line workers. So as Grunt #5 it sucks when the machinery is still in operation but Grunt #4 is extending his 15 minute break into 25-30 minutes while you cover his portion of the workload.

Of course managers being managers decided to resolve this by trying to put a limit on bathroom breaks per person per day and caused a huge clusterfuck bringing state laws and regulations into the argument and people were going out and getting doctors to write them a note approving them for unlimited bathroom breaks, when it was really just a few people that could have been coached individually.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

stump collector posted:

people working in bad jobs without breaks probably
I can take breaks whenever I want, was just really put off by his "not respecting anyone until they prove themselves professionally" and it really seems to me that he's just butthurt that his wife is now his boss.

I (a non-manager, office worker) work with a lot of people that have this attitude and it's really awkward and embarrassing to have to listen to them bitch about their superior cause they usually do it over completely menial poo poo, so maybe it's just my bias. Granted, what everyone has pointed out in the last page are very good points and the rules that his manager/wife implemented are totally draconian and ridiculous and worth fighting against.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Syncopated posted:

Don't confuse "Good at your Job" with "Good at managing people". Lots of people have more value as individual contributors (and they should be compensated for that value). Moving the wrong person into management is a great way to turn an excellent employee into a lovely one.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

insufficient guns posted:

No normal person would post on reddit about this. How can you be MARRIED to someone and not be comfortable enough to say "hey lately I'm finding it kind of difficult to get my tongue in your crotch, could you please clear a pathway so I can sex you eaiser?" Nah better go running to the internet instead of having a 2 minute conversation.

You're completely right. I concede lol

stump collector
May 28, 2007

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I can take breaks whenever I want, was just really put off by his "not respecting anyone until they prove themselves professionally" and it really seems to me that he's just butthurt that his wife is now his boss.

I (a non-manager, office worker) work with a lot of people that have this attitude and it's really awkward and embarrassing to have to listen to them bitch about their superior cause they usually do it over completely menial poo poo, so maybe it's just my bias. Granted, what everyone has pointed out in the last page are very good points and the rules that his manager/wife implemented are totally draconian and ridiculous and worth fighting against.

i think i skipped over this part whoops

that was a red flag but everything else was reasonable

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
That whole office seems like a hellish, hostile workplace.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I started smoking while working fast food because of the extra little breaks you could squeeze out. Now I'm trying desperately to quit ten years later. Oops.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

In my work experience, companies have had policies keeping you from being the boss of your SO, so that whole situation just seems very alien to me. I am siding with him though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lockback posted:

That whole office seems like a hellish, hostile workplace.

*Fraud Analyst races down hallway with broken computer tucked under arm and barges into IT room.* - 45 seconds elapsed.

Analyst: "Oh thank goodness you're here. The fan broke. Can you replace it real quick?" - 1 min elapsed.

Technician: "No problem, got a spare right in the back. Give me a minute".

*Technician rummages through back room, returns with replacement fan in hand* - 2.5 min elapsed

Analyst: "Great. Can you pop it in real quick? I'm kind of in a hurry, I didn't get this cleared..."

*Technician shoots sharp glance at analyst but responds with only a quick grunt before prying open the computer case* - 3 min elapsed

*Analyst begins sweating profusely and paces around the room* - 4 min elapsed

*Technician finishes work and closes case* - 4 min, 30s elapsed

Technician: "All done. Enjoy the rest of your day"

*Analyst quickly scoops up computer case and opens door, is about to step through when the technician pipes up again*

Technician: "Almost forgot, I'll need you to sign for the repair. Bosses' orders." - 4 min, 45 seconds elapsed

*Analyst curses and hurriedly sets down computer before coming to tech desk to sign order.

Analyst: "Are we done here?" - 5 min, 15 seconds elapsed

*Technician sighs as he draws his katana*

Technician: "I'm afraid the only person done here... is you."