Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jan posted:

Follow the gospel of Saint Kenji. Enjoy the proceeds.

Did it for 5-6 hours at 56C, as I recall.

definitely doing this at the weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

Anyone know what diameter hole cutter is perfect for anova? My lid shipped today :)

I used a 2.5" hole saw and it worked great.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I'm prepping for a large BBQ pulled pork. Since its such a massive piece of meat should I brine it in salt/sugar (just salt?) before the cook?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bape Culture posted:

Anyone know what diameter hole cutter is perfect for anova? My lid shipped today :)

I used a 2 and 3/8 inch hole saw. It's a tight fit, which might be a little too tight, (or who knows maybe you like it that way :pervert:) so you'll probably have to sand it a little to let it slide in and out easily.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Neurostorm posted:

Is this still available? And if so which container does it go with?

It goes with the 4.75 galllon cambro

https://www.amazon.com/Cambro-12189...rds=cambro+4.75

Still up for grabs

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I thought about doing just a hole but how do you get the lid off when it's running?

OH poo poo WHAT UP

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001MRVN6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_52?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2UYNUE1EJLQ25

A cambro lid with sliding door!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
In practice that's really clunky because the unit itself obstructs the sliding bit from sliding fully

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Even so, if you can only open the door 2/3 of the way that means 1/3 of the top is open for slipping food in and out, that seems like enough room, no?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The lid itself is also kinda weirdly made and doesn't work like you expect it to and detaches whenever it feels like it

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

It would also be impossible to remove the whole lid without removing your IC device

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Don't anovas have problems when the container is all sealed up around them? IIRC you don't want the inside of the device to be the path of least resistance for steam.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Still up for grabs

Hrmm I think that size is actually a little too big for me (I'm just one person so I'm looking at the 12 quart one to start off). Actually sounds like 4.75 is better than 12 and not even that vastly much bigger. What's your paypal and how much would it take to ship to zip code 43215?

Also do people have any opinions on the Gourmia GSV140? It's going for $100 on amazon right now vs the anova's $150.

Neurostorm fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 6, 2016

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

I don't see any comparative tests on this so I might have to try it myself over vacation
I've posted the math before, but I just did a simple empirical test: Bring my SVS Demi up to temperature, measuring the water temperature with a Thermoworks probe thermometer, turning the Demi off and letting it sit for half an hour, then measuring the temperature again. I used the Demi under the assumption that the insulation would result in less radiative and conductive loss through the sides and bottom (compared to a Cambro), meaning that losses at the water surface would be a larger factor in the overall cooling.

In one setup I covered the surface of the water with a single layer of ping-pong balls, and in the other I used the lid and propped up one edge so that the area of the opening was approximately 10% of the water surface area. This number is fairly arbitrary and chosen as being close to the theoretical packing efficiency of the ping-pong balls. In practice the packing isn't this efficient and coverage of lid-with-a-hole setups will vary considerably. But this really isn't going to matter, as the main issue is that the lid-with-a-hole isn't airtight (or rather vapour-proof). If anything, the propped-up Demi lid is going to outperform a flat lid with a hole in it, as the Demi lid is basically a rectangular dome and when propped up the hole is out the side rather than at the top, a setup which will tend to promote condensation better than a flat lid.

Anyway. Two trials each setup, all starting from 140 on the Demi (which measured 139 on the Thermoworks probe). Ping-pong trials reached a half-hour temperature of 133 and 134 degrees. Propped up lid trials reached a half-hour temperature of 131 and 132 degrees. Triials were staggered (ping-pong, lid, ping-pong, lid) to hopefully minimise the effect of changes in environmental factors (that is, the temperature in the kitchen---nothing else was happening in the kitchen and it's climate-controlled, but it wouldn't surprise me if the HVAC coming on could account for the differences on this scale).

Which is to say my data weakly supports my contention that the ping pong balls are more efficient at heat retention because they lower the exposed surface area of the water. I think the data more strongly support my contention that the differences are too small to matter to most home cooks.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

theres a will theres moe posted:

Don't anovas have problems when the container is all sealed up around them? IIRC you don't want the inside of the device to be the path of least resistance for steam.

The only opening is at the bottom and that's under water, I don't see a way for the steam to get into the device?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Hopper posted:

The only opening is at the bottom and that's under water, I don't see a way for the steam to get into the device?

Mine has vents near the top, and I've had problems from exactly this. Steam got in somehow and was constantly causing the button to trigger. Had to unplug it and let it air out for a day before using again. Since then I still foil for cooks over 12 hours, but I put a vent at least a few inches from the opening for the Anova.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

So since the water never touches the food, technically you could use a trash can for the vizzling container right

Asking for a friend

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sure, makes sense. Just make sure you don't contaminate pouch-to-food when you're debagging the item.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Steve Yun posted:

Still up for grabs

I'll take it off your hands. You wanted something like 7 bucks + shipping? I'll shoot you a PM.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

AnonSpore posted:

So since the water never touches the food, technically you could use a trash can for the vizzling container right

Asking for a friend
You still want a clean container because there'll be some transport between the water in the bath and the food. Unless you're also using special bags. Nothing saying you can't clean a trash can or use one that hasn't been used for trash, but the materials commonly used for s-v bagging aren't perfectly impermeable and you shouldn't do anything based on the assumption they are.

And unless you're using an industrial IC you're going to have trouble keeping that much water at temp. Most ICs designed for home use have a capacity of around five gallons/19 litres. A tall kitchen trash can is 13 gallons and the familiar grey round industrial trash can is 32 gallons.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Hopper posted:

You can twist that silver sheath off and there are a few ports under there. The drive shaft is probably the main concern. I store mine disassembled so it has a chance to dry out. Never know what might take up residence otherwise.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

theres a will theres moe posted:

You can twist that silver sheath off and there are a few ports under there. The drive shaft is probably the main concern. I store mine disassembled so it has a chance to dry out. Never know what might take up residence otherwise.

You can? Neat, did not know that. I'll have to check to see how bad lime is, our water is hard as a rock (18 hardness or whatever you call it) and I am a bit worried...

Texibus
May 18, 2008
What vaccum sealer is worth getting under 100 bucks? Or is perfectly fine to just use ziplocks

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Texibus posted:

What vaccum sealer is worth getting under 100 bucks? Or is perfectly fine to just use ziplocks

If money and/or kitchen storage space is an issue, and your only use for the vacuum sealer is sous vide, I'd stick with ziplocks. Where the vacuum sealer really shines is for food preservation, such as long-term storage in the freezer, with its use in sous vide being a nice bonus. That said, even a $50 FoodSaver works fine for just sucking air and sealing bags.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Is there a decent vaccum with re-sealable bags

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Texibus posted:

Is there a decent vaccum with re-sealable bags

Foodsaver has a resealable bag with a vac port that works with their higher-end sealers' accessory suckbob, but I haven't found a use for the bags themselves. Also they're too leaky to use for long-term storage. Never tried one for cooking sous vide.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Resealable vac bags always fail, it's just a matter of time.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

First sous vide experiment was a glorious success!

Boneless beef rib
Nomiku WiFi
Multiclad stock pot covered in foil
Ziplock bag
Quick season and broil to finish

Can't even describe how amazing it turned out for the minimal amount of effort. I even forgot to season before I put in bath and it was some of the best beef I've had all year, and I eat at a lot of higher end restaurants. Looking forward to doing some carrots tomorrow.

I am wondering why people are using Cambros instead of normal pots? Seems you could keep temps more stable with a good conductor/insulating pot especially ones with thick walls. Is it capacity? Shape?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The cool tough guys on cooking shows all use cambros

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
just buy a rubbermaid

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

djfooboo posted:

I am wondering why people are using Cambros instead of normal pots? Seems you could keep temps more stable with a good conductor/insulating pot especially ones with thick walls. Is it capacity? Shape?

A) you can buy Cambros that are bigger than most pots for cheaper
B) plastic insulates better than metal, which conducts heat out, saves money on electricity
C) it's just fun watching your food swim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBfr7X4w3hM

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

djfooboo posted:

Seems you could keep temps more stable with a good conductor/insulating pot especially ones with thick walls.

Good conductors are the opposite of insulators, but for a viddlin pot you'd want an insulator.

It doesn't really matter (just like lid chat) because your circulator can maintain a small pot of water regardless of size or the thermal properties of the walls.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Is it better to have the hole drilled in the corner or just positioned at the middle of a wall? I would have thought the latter would be better for circulation and stuff.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It doesn't really matter because the circulator is overpowered to make sure the temp is equalized across all the water.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You'll save some electricity but for cooking it doesn't matter.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

It doesn't really matter because the circulator is overpowered to make sure the temp is equalized across all the water.

I was just wondering because you have your foods just swirling around in there and if I try and do that the food inevitably ends up stuck against the circulator not doing anything.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

AnonSpore posted:

I was just wondering because you have your foods just swirling around in there and if I try and do that the food inevitably ends up stuck against the circulator not doing anything.

I think there was some air still in the bones or something which buoyed the chicken thighs

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

Go to IKEA and buy one of their extendable pot lid holders. It costs ~6$ and works like a charm, everybody seems to use it as an underwater food rack.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 8, 2016

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Texibus posted:

Honestly, I wasn't keen on spending too much, so for starters I.bought a 30€ one at Aldi, with an additional pack of rolls that was 8€.
I now have enough bags to last until they stick them again in about half a year to a year and the thing is very serviceable.

It does a single seam only and you can't adjust vacuum strength, but I just do you let seam manually and honestly, it works amazingly well for the purpose of sous vide. Unless you want to vacuum something delicate like berries or so, I don't see a problem.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Texibus posted:

Food saver v2222 model is great and cheap for basic sealing. Been using mine for 6 years and it was $24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
If you're looking for vacuum sealers or cast iron pans (or meat grinders or sausage stuffers for that matter), check outdoors stores too, e.g. Cabela's and Gander Mountain. They sometimes have some really good sales or clearance items, and it's easy to overlook them.