Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

So I've Steam Borrowed this game from a friend for several hours and I really like it but also am so disturbed by and terrified of the deep/open ocean that it can get uncomfortable to play. I feel extremely dumb tooling along the bottom of the ocean on my Seaglide looking for resources and telling myself "It's just a video game, it doesn't matter if your character dies" over and over.

I'm leaning towards picking it up, if only so that I can play during the evening when he's home, but since there's a thread I figured I'd ask about how good/bad the development history and developers are viewed by the existing players. Any warning signs or notable accomplishments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The developers are pretty open about their slated goals and development path here:
https://trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I feel pretty good about these developers. I have zero inclination that this is going to be abandoned or anything like that.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
It's been updated every 1-3 months for two years and will be complete in a few updates.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The developers are inevitably a month late on their updates, and they tend to be buggy more often than not.

But it gets updates, and has been getting them steadily for a long time, and the bugs get fixed... eventually.

I have faith it'll eventually be a finished and mostly bug-free game. At least Elder Scrolls level playable, if not something that makes me think permadeath is anything but bullshit.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Something must have gone pretty catastrophic. They're almost 3 weeks past their November update date.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Away all Goats posted:

The developers are pretty open about their slated goals and development path here:
https://trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap
Man, I remember when finally removing erraforming (As in, the whole thing. Not just disabling the gun) was slated for October. with launch stuff on the roadmap before the end of this year.

Now "Address pop-in" is late march, and Launch 1.0 + Performance is mid may :sigh: And here I had thought I had finally started paying attention to it "late" in development.

Met posted:

Something must have gone pretty catastrophic. They're almost 3 weeks past their November update date.
The latest new pushed up date for finally removing terraforming entirely is Dec 15th. As opposed to previous ones like say, November 17th.

They may be facing the gun to their head over approaching a point of no return that their coders would rather kill themselves, than add more structures that they would have to go back and overhaul for the long put off terraforming fix.

So many players talking up terraforming removal as "This will solve all the performance issues ever, we swear!" the Devs have let stand to fend off longstanding performance complaints probably isn't helping matters. Even with a deadline that doesn't mean anything :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 11, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Fragments have been massively shuffled from last time I started the game. I got all my Seamoth pieces from a shallows wreck near the Aurora, both stillsuit pieces sitting on top of a kelp forest wreck, a compass from a lifepod, and propulsion and stasis gun pieces in the open in front of the Aurora. Seaglide pieces were also scarcer, found one in a lifepod and one on the edge of a kelp forest. Small fragments outside of/not on top of wrecks seem to be in crates (the ones that are open on the side, not the ones that contain consumables/batteries/signals and that you have to open) now. Sandstone also seems to not be entirely confined to caves, which is nice, but I'm getting more gold than silver.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I really hope they didn't somehow code themselves into a corner. :ohdear:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Making sure waves don't clip through the floor of the escape pod should be priority #1 IMHO, the game is basically unplayable

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Buca di Bepis posted:

Making sure waves don't clip through the floor of the escape pod should be priority #1 IMHO, the game is basically unplayable

That's the first thing people see which just screams "UNFINISHED!" to people I try showing the game off to.

There was a time that it didn't even happen.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I am happy the devs ignored all the people posting on the community pages saying "I would buy this if it was MP." It's awfully tempting to cram in some unoptimized and unbalanced multiplayer mode for the extra bucks. But at least this way all the attention goes to making the game playable. Because it still needs a hell of a lot of polish.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The official forums are totally toxic. You're not allowed to have an opinion unless you post there a lot. Anyone else is just trying to invade the forums and ruin the game with bad ideas.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What ended up happening with crafting time? Even I posted on their forum to complain about it but I haven't played since.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Crafting time is just fine. Most of it is a couple seconds. I think one or two things is a couple seconds longer.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The Devs have been trying to assure people there will be an update before the holidays. But it still remains to be seen if we will get a full update, or they will once again delay the part that is most important.

Finally removing terraforming (Built up so long as the 'missing piece' that it will supposedly solve all performance issues, and cure cancer).

Demiurge4 posted:

What ended up happening with crafting time? Even I posted on their forum to complain about it but I haven't played since.

It is much better than what it first was everybody had to make fresh accounts to make their voice heard over (And there were also people defending the fact it could also erase what you just fabricated via missclick).

But it also highlighted how they will still prefer the loud faux hardcore. The main thread was made by somebody who wanted to keep huge timers, with a lopsided three way vote to pretend they were being fair about it. "Remove timers" "Keep current timers" and "Keep timers but reduce them." So a 2 vs 1 split on Timers vs rollback timers.

Over twice as many votes to remove timers, than both timer keeping options combined. So the Devs swing by, announce loudly that they listen to their players.... and select the least voted for option, "Keep timers but reduce them" :downs: Because understandably, rolling back the pointless filler would cause their always on player-base to loving riot.

See also for a much worse example: Killing Floor 2 doubling down on their controversial Resistance mechanic, and how piss poor they handled that between the passive aggressive statements like "We worked real hard on this you guys! you have no idea. But fine we'll listen to our players and... reduce it!. It's essentially removed!"

Cojawfee posted:

The official forums are totally toxic. You're not allowed to have an opinion unless you post there a lot. Anyone else is just trying to invade the forums and ruin the game with bad ideas.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 13, 2016

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
It's repeatedly going through the menus that makes the actual crafting a drag to me.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The crafting timer isn't really noticeable outside of the mobile vehicle bay. Which takes maybe 10 seconds.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I fail to see why it was added at all though, I haven't played in awhile since I wanted to wait for less pop-in and stuttering, but the idea of lengthening crafting time for any reason makes absolutely no goddamn sense to me

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Surprise Giraffe posted:

It's repeatedly going through the menus that makes the actual crafting a drag to me.

As dumb as the crafting times are, this is the biggest problem. The game doesn't have any of the quality of life features that make crafting bearable, like Terraria's automatic inventory management/craft-from-chest or Factorio's automatic crafting of intermediate products.

I understand the reasoning behind items not stacking (keeping the player from hoovering up the sea floor) but without means of mitigation it turns crafting into manually organizing several huge tubs of legos.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Items should appear instantly when you press the button. It's the FUTURE. They have matter re-arrangers but still limited by the constraints of time? I can't wait for the time DLC where you don't even have to travel to places, you just fast travel. gently caress off with this waiting around bullshit. I have a full time job!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Microcline posted:

As dumb as the crafting times are, this is the biggest problem. The game doesn't have any of the quality of life features that make crafting bearable, like Terraria's automatic inventory management/craft-from-chest or Factorio's automatic crafting of intermediate products.

I understand the reasoning behind items not stacking (keeping the player from hoovering up the sea floor) but without means of mitigation it turns crafting into manually organizing several huge tubs of legos.

Away all Goats posted:

Items should appear instantly when you press the button. It's the FUTURE. They have matter re-arrangers but still limited by the constraints of time? I can't wait for the time DLC where you don't even have to travel to places, you just fast travel. gently caress off with this waiting around bullshit. I have a full time job!

See also: Adding a battery requirement for the building tool. It's hardly going to stop you, it's just going to make you waste more time cramming mushrooms into copper and then cram more battery chargers into your base. It's mostly there to give the appearance of "Resource management" but the crafting system isn't nearly robust enough, or with enough content, to justify the timers or builder batteries except for screaming at the top of your lungs "But it's a SURVIVAL game!". But 'survival' 'just means either inconvenience or instant death to the usual demographic.

QoL burns these people like holy water burns vampires. These are honestly the kind of people who think an obtuse crafting UI :airquote: "adds realism". It's why they nerfed the lanternfruit to be barely better than eating raw creepvines. You still have infinite food, you are still never in any danger of hunger or thirst at any time, and fruit is huge alongside it rotting quickly... But because it was convenient compared to jumping into your containment tank of infinite fish and tossing some peepers and airsacks onto the fabricator, which had some extra but still piss easy steps in the process? Screaming that it's OP until it got nerfed into a joke.

You'll get blood sickness from overeating before fruit will give you the food or water value of a single fish thrown on the fabricator. For something you have to swim halfway across the map, unlock planets, and unlock base building to use, it has been reduced to a joke. And there are still players who think even the minimal 5 food we get out of them is "OP, because you can just eat it in your cyclops!" While ignoring their lockers full of salted reginalds and bottled water they have an equally infinite supply of.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Microcline posted:

Terraria is a fantastic case study on how to reduce unnecessary menuing. While they ultimately added so many items to the game that I think they still should have increased inventory size or chest size even more (it got to the point where there were so many items that nothing they could have done would have removed the large overhead of having to sort through crap), they added so many QOL features like quick-stack to the game that they really did a good job of making up for it. Stuff like craft-from-chest really should be everywhere. They also increased stack size on a huge number of items that didn't really make sense to limit--IIRC when the game first launched, basic building blocks only stacked to 99, which got patched to 250 and later 999.

Not that subnautica should necessarily do stacking, but from what I played, I felt like I had to spend far too long screwing around in menus after awhile.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Devs just stated on the steam forums that the terraforming removal isn't part of the update, and is going to be pushed up again :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 14, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Section Z posted:

QoL burns these people like holy water burns vampires. These are honestly the kind of people who think an obtuse crafting UI :airquote: "adds realism". It's why they nerfed the lanternfruit to be barely better than eating raw creepvines. You still have infinite food, you are still never in any danger of hunger or thirst at any time, and fruit is huge alongside it rotting quickly... But because it was convenient compared to jumping into your containment tank of infinite fish and tossing some peepers and airsacks onto the fabricator, which had some extra but still piss easy steps in the process? Screaming that it's OP until it got nerfed into a joke.
It's also that they seem confuse tedium with challenge. Like, yes scrabbling for basic resources in the early game is a fun challenge, but once you're further into the game it's a pain in the rear end to have to spend a bunch of time prepping food or dealing with the storage space issue because nothing stacks.

Or crafting...really there's no reason to have a long delay on crafting at all. You can only make stuff when you're at your crafting station inside the pod or one of your bases...where nothing's capable of threatening you. It's not like you'll have to try to build a new weapon while being attacked by something in real-time, so why the delay?

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Paracelsus posted:

The crafting timer isn't really noticeable outside of the mobile vehicle bay. Which takes maybe 10 seconds.

I always liked that, it looks really neat watching it being built. As for crafting. The shorter and easier the better. Anything that causes tedium and repeating should be streamlined. Even an option to batch build. Like converting all scrap to iron or curing all available fish. It would be nice if there was a storage system you could tap into the fabricator. Instead of having to manage inventory all the time, just put 20 salt in there and cure from the pool. I doubt they will implement these things and to be fair they are minor. Anything to make the game streamlined the better I think. We should focus on finding the resources and not the tedious juggling inventory.

I think that open games like this should have options for all that crafting stuff. If you want it to take 5 hours to fab a submarine, that's cool. But it should be optional. Games like 7 Days to die and Project Zomboid have that stuff well figured out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't mind crafting times if it encourages you to play the game. If you go to make something important and it takes five minutes to craft? Great, awesome. I will go out and collect some more resources and come back when it's done. If I have to make a bunch of something and they each take 10 seconds each, that's me not playing the game at all for ten seconds at a time.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cojawfee posted:

I don't mind crafting times if it encourages you to play the game. If you go to make something important and it takes five minutes to craft? Great, awesome. I will go out and collect some more resources and come back when it's done.

If Crafting times were instant instead of long, do you know what I would be doing?

Playing the loving game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Met posted:

If Crafting times were instant instead of long, do you know what I would be doing?

Playing the loving game.

Ok, now read the rest of my post.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Good thing it's not an issue because most everything is instant.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Will they ever have co-op for this game? I'm sure this has been asked/complained about a million times already, (and I did read that they'd have to recode literally everything to do multiplayer for some reason) but it's the one thing I really think this game should have, it's the perfect game for it, also it would make the scary ocean feel I currently get bearable. I ended my time cheating through the game just to get the awesome parts for building poo poo, looked at myself God-modding through the scary encounters, felt no sense of achievement from anything anymore and uninstalled.

I think I'm just a wimp. :ohdear: I would eventually like to come back to this title. Just...not alone.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

phourniner posted:

Will they ever have co-op for this game?

Nope.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Seeing as how it's not on the Trello, fair enough. :shrug:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They left the door open for MAYBE doing a 1.5 expansion thing like Don't Starve With Friends. Base game is single player only.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
They have made it very clear MP is not happening. At least until release.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

They left the door open for MAYBE doing a 1.5 expansion thing like Don't Starve With Friends. Base game is single player only.

Yeah, I was thinking if anything they'd have a standalone version that was MP only. Well, time will tell.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
So, is terraforming dead as of this morning, or am I going to need to ask this question yet again in a couple months?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Trustworthy posted:

So, is terraforming dead as of this morning, or am I going to need to ask this question yet again in a couple months?

They announced that it was pushed back a bit so no it is not yet

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

GenericOverusedName posted:

They announced that it was pushed back a bit so no it is not yet

Well rats! :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I might be wrong, but I thought they were removing terraforming completely as it was one of the main stability/loading problems. I don't think it's on the feature list anymore. It was mentioned earlier in the thread by someone that it was making the save files gigantic. It's a pretty highly anticipated change as it will fix a hell of a lot of issues and probably mean that we won't have to restart every update.