Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
But will we be able to make music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
indeed! what is the instrument of choice this time around Nintendo mmm?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

bef posted:

indeed! what is the instrument of choice this time around Nintendo mmm?

Multiple, I hope. But I'd settle for a simple wooden ocarina.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This Link seems kind of laid back and folksy. Maybe we'll finally get some Link jams on the guitar.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Shiek: Link, I see you've discovered a new area. Should you want to return here, quickly, all you have to do is play this tune... *strums opening chords to Wish You Were Here*
Link: *clearing throat* Uh... Hey, listen... I really have to get going...

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 7, 2016

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Multiple, I hope. But I'd settle for a simple wooden ocarina.

i hope we once again Take ahold of the Winds and we all toot on the Nintendo Switch FlutePlus (TM)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm the hero of time and you guys should show me some respect. Anyway, here's wonderwall.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Shiek: Link, I see you've discovered a new area. Should you want to return here, quickly, all you have to do is play this tune... *strums opening chords to Wish You Were Here*
Link: *clearing throat* Uh... Hey, listen... I really have to get going...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Goron: Ugh! This makes me so angry! The only thing that ever calms me down is dancing...
Na-Fi: Please plug your Nintendo Kiiboard into Switch slot A and refer to the sheet music for Dvorak's Goronic Dances.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

link gonna steal that bird guys accordion

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

link gonna steal that bird guys accordion

Haha yeah right. I once knew an accordion player who left his accordion in his car on his way to a gig. When he came back, he was upset to discover that somebody had broken into his car - his back windows were completely smashed! He went to check to see about the fate of his instrument and was very distraught to see that there were four more accordions in his back seat!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

mabels big day posted:

How sweaty is your thumb

Imagine an empty wine glass. A thumb is put into it, and 30 seconds later the glass is full

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bicyclops posted:

This Link seems kind of laid back and folksy. Maybe we'll finally get some Link jams on the guitar.

Just as long as Link doesn't pull a Dylan.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lobok posted:

Just as long as Link doesn't pull a Dylan.

You've earned enough points for Hyrule's top honor!
...but you won't accept it.

e: Skeleton Link is crying.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In anticipation of Breath of the Wild, I kicked off a replay of Skyward Sword, which I hadn't touched in a couple years. It's good. I'm going into it intending to pay close attention to environment design, inventory management, and NPC interactions.

I find myself wishing that Wii games on Wii U supported Miiverse. I'm not even to the start of the tutorials and there are already easter eggs that would merit a "Huh, neat." Like how the chalkboard in the academy has a doodle of an arrow shooting a heart, representing how you can shoot hearts with arrows and stick them to the wall.

The 480p resolution is also regrettable. I could emulate, and I know it would look spectacular if I bumped it up to 1440p or whatever, but I'd have to figure out hooking up a Wii remote to it and everything. It's a lot of setup, when just running it on a console is just ready to go. Way I see it is: this will just make Breath of the Wild look that much more impressive by comparison.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
480p? It's 2006! No one owns an HDTV and one ever will! Don't even bother producing more than a couple thousand component cables, only crazy people even own a TV with those inputs!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I started playing Twilight Princess a bit and the 480p (luckily I have component cables) isn't very good. N64 zeldas look great on it though. Breath of the Wild should look amazeballs.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

N64 Zeldas look better on the official emulators than on the console because they originally ran at 240p, I'm pretty sure. The N64 emulator on Wii and WIi U actually does run its games at higher resolution. Same reason Gamecube and Wii games look better on Dolphin. Also the reason there are so few N64 Virtual Console games. Gotta test it thoroughly.

I gotta say, the pointillist filter they apply to distant objects in Skyward Sword still looks really good, even though you know it's there to cover up the low-LOD models. The draw distance in this game is impressive considering the hardware; it's definite the resolution that hurts it most. At 480p, anything that detailed rendered that small is gonna look like a blotchy mess, so a shader that makes it look like an artistic blotchy mess is a good way to handle it. Breath of the Wild seems to have managed to make the effect look a bit more like brush strokes.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

N64 OOT and MM still look like poo poo even with emulators but upscaled versions of the 3DS remakes will look really nice once 3DS emulation is a thing.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

SeANMcBAY posted:

N64 OOT and MM still look like poo poo even with emulators but upscaled versions of the 3DS remakes will look really nice once 3DS emulation is a thing.

It's actually kind of weird that when I boot up an emulated OOT I'm like, "what is this?? Did I really play this as a kid?" and then like an hour later I barely notice anymore.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ice Fist posted:

It's actually kind of weird that when I boot up an emulated OOT I'm like, "what is this?? Did I really play this as a kid?" and then like an hour later I barely notice anymore.

It's worse on an actual N64. I loaded up Episode 1 Racer and everything was so blurry I couldn't even read anything. While there's some issues with the UI and some textures, emulated N64 games look pretty good. The 480p version I'm playing on Wii looks like how I remember it in the 90s.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I think the best they could do is not have music playing, just have the ambient sound of nature playing in the background.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rexroom posted:

I think the best they could do is not have music playing, just have the ambient sound of nature playing in the background.

*pigs squealing*
*crows cawing*
*dogs barking*

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Crickets chirping at night.

Nature is often LOUD.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Bloodly posted:

Crickets chirping at night.

Nature is often LOUD.

And that's the way I like it. :c00lbert:

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Link is going to have the ability to summon woodland creatures to perform full on musical productions. Breath of the Wild.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Link is going to have the ability to summon woodland creatures to perform full on musical productions. Breath of the Wild.

gently caress I would love it so much if it was just a pit orchestra made entirely of bears and deer and rabbits and poo poo with tiny cellos and violins made of sticks and leaves.

aaag

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

How does a bastard, orphan son of a whore and a Hylian dropped in the middle of a forgotten spot among the kokiri, go on to be the hero of the legends, and gain the triangle of the heavens?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

greatn posted:

How does a bastard, orphan son of a whore and a Hylian dropped in the middle of a forgotten spot among the kokiri, go on to be the hero of the legends, and gain the triangle of the heavens?

What's your name, man?!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm glad page 69 was able to wash this thread of the stink from people complaining that freaking Ocarina of Time was too hard without a guide.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I think you're on to something.

Breath of the Wild.

It's either wind instruments or singing. Can't wait to hear Link's lovely tenor

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's called "Breath of the Wild" maybe it's just a game where you collect various kinds of mints because Link's breath stinks.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Game start:
"Truly, young lad, while you may be a brave and earnest fighter, you cannot be the Hero of Old because you have terrible horse breath"

After completing the Quest of the Three Sacred Mints:

"Wait, can it be? *sniff* It IS the Hero! You may now make passage through the Sealed Realm of Ham and Garlic"

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bongo Bill posted:

In anticipation of Breath of the Wild, I kicked off a replay of Skyward Sword, which I hadn't touched in a couple years. It's good. I'm going into it intending to pay close attention to environment design, inventory management, and NPC interactions.

For the sake of your sanity I hope you never turn your wii off

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I finally 100% Link Between Worlds on my flight this week, I beat the actual game a while ago and liked it so much I set off down the seemingly insurmountable path of clearing all 50 shadow link streetpass challenges, which I completed yesterday. My victory is slightly tainted because the "use Ravio's bracelet" one is the only thing in the whole game I had to use a guide for :smith:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Octoball Derby :argh:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

bef posted:

For the sake of your sanity I hope you never turn your wii off

Still not as bad as links awakening and the lifting object advice if you get too close to an object.

I want to know who's going to tell me in game when my joycons are getting low. :colbert:

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Bombadilillo posted:

Still not as bad as links awakening and the lifting object advice if you get too close to an object.

I want to know who's going to tell me in game when my joycons are getting low. :colbert:

Following Zelda conventions it will be Joyco of the Joycah Tribe and her jewelry will be green or red depending on the battery level

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Huh. Reggie is on The Tonight Show. Jimmy Fallon's playing BoTW on the Switch and the framerate looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah if that wasn't 60fps it was definitely a hell of a lot smoother than we've seen before