Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

KoRMaK posted:

I understand the show isn't above criticism, but criticizing something because it wasn't realisitic enough is missing the point of "did it serve the story or experience as a viewer"

The bad action scene did not serve the story and brought me out of the experience as a viewer. Not by much! I just though 'oh this is kind of stupid' as I was watching and enjoyed the rest of the episode. Let me be pedantic for a bit and break it down because some of it WAS good.

The first part where they ambush some guards and steal the guns was great! They have the element of surprise, it's in the dark, there's the cool bit with the room full of deactivated hosts and a fun throat slit. It's also when we get the reaction to how awesome P90's are. Good stuff, great scene.

Then a bit later they're in Samurai World and there are audible alarms going off, so you'd think any security that shows up would be a little more on alert. Hector walks through a door, shoots the front guard in a group of like 6 of them, then lets off ~four more bursts without anyone even returning fire. This is the bad part, and when it gets distracting. The guards do not appear to even be trying to kill the rebellious hosts. There's one particular shot where Hector slides out of frame as three guards approach with guns pointed. Why are they not shooting, or even shouting the deactivation commands?

Armitage ambushes and kills three more from behind the pillar. Cool moves, element of surprise again. Shows she's an effective ambusher some more. Neat. Then two come out from behind a glass door where they could 100% see what just happened and again do not even try to shoot at her. This is when it starts to really take me out of the scene and makes me wonder if I missed something about how security shouldn't use lethal force for some reason. Hector shoots them both in the back, but they absolutely had clear lines of fine at Armitage for a good 5 seconds, an armed threat who has just murdered three people. What does this bit show us about the characters and how does it advance the experience?

We then get the gods are pussies line, great. More guards come out and actually shoot this time, framed in a way that makes it look like SOMEone on Maeve's team might have just taken a bullet. But nope, they missed entirely and didn't even manage to break any of the giant glass windows all around everyone. At this point I'm honestly wondering if the whole thing is just a mock-up for some reason or part of a narrative for Maeve's benefit and all the tension is gone.

If it was supposed to be exciting or dramatic in any way, it failed. This does not make the entire episode bad! It just stands out as a bad element.

Also then Maeve and the others go up an escalator and there are what appear to be a bunch of humans just sitting around not at all worried about the gunshots or the alarm a floor (or multiple floors) below them. This bothered me too.

It was the worst part of the episode and did not make it look like Hector and Armitage are incredibly effective killers, just that their human opponents were completely useless or deliberately committing suicide by host. Maybe that was the point, but if so it missed the mark by being unclear as to it's intentions.

Rest of the episode and in the whole season was great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

NmareBfly posted:

The bad action scene did not serve the story and brought me out of the experience as a viewer
:spergin:

Would you perhaps explain to us your experience in gunfights so we can all be amazed?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I don't have any, but the basic question isn't 'why were they not taking cover' or some tacticalol poo poo it's literally 'why didn't they shoot at the people who were killing them.'

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

coyo7e posted:

:spergin:

Would you perhaps explain to us your experience in gunfights so we can all be amazed?
Well I mean nitpicking the gunfights is one thing but to say he can't comment on a gunfight where guards literally can't see through glass walls and walk into bullets because he's never been in one? That's pretty :goonsay:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

NmareBfly posted:

I don't have any, but the basic question isn't 'why were they not taking cover' or some tacticalol poo poo it's literally 'why didn't they shoot at the people who were killing them.'

Bingo! If the show is otherwise built in such a realistic way that "The guards are being so awful at this, it has to be staged" is what comes to my mind, when I'm not a TFR sperg and usually give shows a lot of leeway on this sort of poo poo, there's a problem.

Perhaps it's human nature to focus on the bad things even in something that is good. Perhaps Dr Ford was right.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Security guards were hosts they were programmed not to fight back properly in order to thin out their numbers.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

It's annoying because it edges into territory where I'm not sure if it was a case of bad directing or if it was deliberate in-universe. People obsess over tiny details in some shows like this that turn out to be production errors and I can't tell if that's what is happening here or not. Everything else is carefully enough constructed that I could honestly believe that the guards were all hosts but whose benefit would that be for? Felix?

I apologize for the :spergin: up above but it's just because I re-watched the section as I was writing it since I wanted to better put my finger on why it was so distracting. It really was just two bits -- Hector shooting some guards out in the open with no return fire, then the two guards approaching Armitage from behind like they plan to tell her to put her hands up and capture her alive or something. With different direction on those 5-second slivers I would probably think the rest was fine.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

KoRMaK posted:

I dont know what guise "worthy of criticism" here practically means - you're not giving notes to the production staff, so whats the goal?

To me, this thread is about finding interesting easter eggs, neat connections, or otherwise constructive stuff to the experience. I understand the show isn't above criticism, but criticizing something because it wasn't realisitic enough is missing the point of "did it serve the story or experience as a viewer"

KoRMaK posted:

LEts make another thread, WestWorld: Uh actually, its bad

and in there we post all the complaints we have. That way we can keep it consolidated to each topic

Jesus dude, stop trying to police the thread just because people are posting opinions that are different from your own. I think Westworld S1 is one of the strongest seasons of television that HBO has ever done, but that doesn't mean it was flawless, and discussing aspects of the show that were handled clumsily doesn't take away from the rest of it.

(True Detective had a fantastic first season too, even if some people found the ending to be a bit weak. I can see their point but I don't think it takes away from how great the rest of the episodes were. Similar to here.)

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I understand I guess why the hosts have to suffer to become "conscious" but why does Ford want to release these hosts onto the world? It seems like from the outer shots of the Dolas laboratories (from when Maeve first walks around the Dolas labs), it's on a planet off world somewhere. Why not just build WestWorld without making it a park with Arnold?

And play god or let them build their own civilization without the influence of humans in the first place? Why does Ford want the hosts to invade the main world in the first place like a pyschopath? He couldn't just build these hosts off planet without letting the public know in the first place with Arnold? Arnold wanted to not let the park open it seems and let the hosts live in peace. But Ford wanted to introduce suffering.

I guess if you don't got funding then let them be on their own little world after killing all of the board members? I guess I don't see the benefit of Ford letting civilization know about these hosts and then punishing them about it unless he was some of psychopath. And even then, I feel like that's lazy misdirection by Nolan.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 7, 2016

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Wait what shots show it off planet?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

Wait what shots show it off planet?

It looks like its off on a moonbase or something when Maeve first walks around the labs. She walks through some sort of outside area where it looks like they are in space.

edit: Also, Lee asks Theresa "When do you get to rotate home again?"

edit edit: Also forgot about when Sylvester tells Felix he's not an "orbital launch engineer"

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 7, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rabid Snake posted:

It looks like its off on a moonbase or something when Maeve first walks around the labs. She walks through some sort of outside area where it looks like they are in space.

That was just inside the facility. They were still in the middle mesa facility, which is massive and has like hundreds of floors. Remember there's all that decrepit half-lit stuff, and then there's even cold storage below that. Its huge.

Rabid Snake posted:

edit edit: Also forgot about when Sylvester tells Felix he's not an "orbital launch engineer"

Rotate home because its an island and they work in shifts. Makes sense to me.

But orbital launch engineer is the one wink that maybe says it could be space, but it was meant as a joke. Security guy also joked "its part of my backstory", that could be them having fun with the audience expectations or that could be foreshadowing. But I think its the former.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

51~ minutes in Episode 2 when she walks outside or "underground"

Second look, it actually does look like it could be underground actually... but it also looks like it could be in space who knows

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I guess it's just hard to also explain the map that was on the westworld website.

This was the map before episode 2 or 3 I think. They updated it on the website now.

Topology survey of the park "Commissioned under the command of the United States government"

You'd think in the future they would have the whole Earth surveyed already.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rabid Snake posted:

Second look, it actually does look like it could be underground actually... but it also looks like it could be in space who knows

Yeah that was how I took it. I mean it doesn't make a ton of sense to build an underground facility in that shape, but then again the whole park is insane and I could see Ford thinking its real cool to have open walkways inside the center of the mesa in like a man-made cave.

Rabid Snake posted:

Topology survey of the park "Commissioned under the command of the United States government"

You'd think in the future they would have the whole Earth surveyed already.

Yeah it could go either way. The show isn't super far in the future so that could make some kinda moonbase or whatever less likely, and it could be that was just a survey that was commissioned long ago? But maybe.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The website confirmed that the facility is underground except for the hotel on the top floor, which we saw in the show.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Rabid Snake posted:

People read way too much into some poo poo. The park is huge. We have no idea exactly how huge, but it seems to be at least several days across on horseback at the least though even that is debatable. It's out in the middle of the rear end end of nowhere with no town directly nearby. The employees rotating in makes perfect sense. They come to the park and live in the command center for a time while they work and then they go home and a new crew takes over.

Dragonrah fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 7, 2016

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the guard gunfight scene was really bad and anyone who's saying otherwise has rose tinted glasses

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It worked fine for me because I assumed every branch of Westworld had at most 3 competent people, and then a bunch of people making minimum wage that do sweet gently caress all. That's why it seems like every other person in the body shop is some creepy loser gently caress up, and why the security force is jumped up mall cops. You don't need much competence when your tools are so good and the hosts are pretty much on lockdown. Combine that with Ford being the enemy, and there wasn't a lot those chumps can do. Now if next season comes and the actual military isn't turning their lives into Oregon Trail Vietnam, then I have a problem.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I guess you could also argue that the security guards didn't know exactly who they were up against. I imagine the radio communication was simply "we've got 3 hosts killing people over here, one male two female," followed by "huh wait you mean inside the offices wait what do they look like?" … "they look like people."

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I missed it the first time, but Logan has a great line right after Dolores slashes his face and escapes: "She's not different, you're loving broken!"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
If MiB was there with the QA team (or any other skilled guest), the escape would have failed very quickly.

Guests have no military training, but at least they usually have no problem with shooting hosts, which helps a lot if you mean to stop them

EDIT: also, rewatching the episode, there's something bothering me: during the escape, they cross that bridge into SW. But then, when Maeve arrive at the train station, she is back on WW

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 7, 2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dragonrah posted:

People read way too much into some poo poo. The park is huge. We have no idea exactly how huge, but it seems to be at least several days across on horseback at the least though even that is debatable. It's out in the middle of the rear end end of nowhere with no town directly nearby. The employees rotating in makes perfect sense. They come to the park and live in the command center for a time while they work and then they go home and a new crew takes over.

If you've ever been in the area where they film the show, there's nothing out there. If someone bought 500 square miles of land out there they'd have room to spare. Might have to displace a town or two, but it's an incredibly vast area.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

NmareBfly posted:

I thought the basic question was, if they're a trained host response unit, why aren't they packing the park's smart guns?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I thought the basic question was, if they're a trained host response unit, why aren't they packing the park's smart guns?

They show that Stubbs doesn't trust those guns and carries a real gun, probably either because the fake guns are made to limit damage to the hosts or else because they can conceivably be hacked. If Stubbs was in charge, he would probably push for having real guns.

Of course he would probably also push for proper training, shoot to kill policies, and functional body armor.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

They show that Stubbs doesn't trust those guns and carries a real gun, probably either because the fake guns are made to limit damage to the hosts or else because they can conceivably be hacked. If Stubbs was in charge, he would probably push for having real guns.

Of course he would probably also push for proper training, shoot to kill policies, and functional body armor.

The whole "Holy poo poo, snake girl killed twenty dudes, GET ON THE GROUND NOW!" has me questioning whether there's something intentionally fishy with the QA / security team. Are they hosts? Are they part of Ford's plan? The "these gods are pussies" line is a shade.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

i see it's time to unbookmark this thread until 2018

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I guess the problem with the response team logically acting like special forces is that it would really draw out those scenes when they only narratively existed to move characters from A to B.

Doesn't excuse how illogical it was of course, or how stupid the argument that any criticism of it means that you want some kind of Tom Clancy diamond formation turbosperg.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Jesus Christ this thread. Gonna be a long-rear end wait until 2018.

Yeah probably time to drop out. It's been good while it lasted though.

EDIT: loving logic autists up in here.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Durzel posted:

I guess the problem with the response team logically acting like special forces is that it would really draw out those scenes when they only narratively existed to move characters from A to B.

Doesn't excuse how illogical it was of course, or how stupid the argument that any criticism of it means that you want some kind of Tom Clancy diamond formation turbosperg.

The problem is that they are portrayed as scary in the early episodes, and their boss is the most competent and professional leader that we see in the entire organization. Then suddenly with no transition the portrayal in the last episode shifts to them being total mooks. Without enough setup or explanation, it just looks like an annouing inconsistency. And it's not like they are trying to save runtime - there is a lot of gratuitous screen time spent on just having these very poorly done shooting scenes. You can't even call them shootouts because in a shootout both sides are actually shooting.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Even a throwaway line in the control room about how comms aren't working and there's no leadership after their boss mysteriously disappeared would have put a band-aid over it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dragonrah posted:

Yeah but the employees wouldn't be riding horses, they have some future high-speed rail there and could easily commute hundreds of miles in a matter of 30-60 minutes. Still, if were' talking 2050s here, then it's probably not on Mars or some poo poo.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

The problem is that they are portrayed as scary in the early episodes, and their boss is the most competent and professional leader that we see in the entire organization. Then suddenly with no transition the portrayal in the last episode shifts to them being total mooks. Without enough setup or explanation, it just looks like an annouing inconsistency. And it's not like they are trying to save runtime - there is a lot of gratuitous screen time spent on just having these very poorly done shooting scenes. You can't even call them shootouts because in a shootout both sides are actually shooting.
I'm not saying that it wasn't poorly shown, there are various aspects of the show and the finale in particular that don't stand up to even a basic level of scrutiny, but that any kind of scene that involves mooks with guns that are in the way of the story progressing is always going to be tricky, particularly if you're not prepared to devote much time to it.

EDIT: Fair points about little touches making a big difference.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Durzel posted:

I'm not saying that it wasn't poorly shown, there are various aspects of the show and the finale in particular that don't stand up to even a basic level of scrutiny, but that any kind of scene that involves mooks with guns that are in the way of the story progressing is always going to be tricky, particularly if you're not prepared to devote much time to it.

You could have the guards actually shooting the hosts but it not doing anything because the show already specifically showed Maeve turn their pain resistance stat up to maximum (which is doubly weird because Armistice seems to be *in pain* when she's 127-houring herself), and we know their skulls are strong enough to withstand contact-range handgun fire. There's really nothing tricky at all about showing competent people with guns getting massacred by Terminators. They might have filmed it in a way that's jarringly bad-tv-showlike when compared to every other scene in the show because they got lazy, or didn't care as much about it, or for cost reasons. But not because it was too tricky for them to execute properly.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Even a throwaway line in the control room about how comms aren't working and there's no leadership after their boss mysteriously disappeared would have put a band-aid over it.
Comms literally went down in the control room in front of our eyes.

override367
Apr 29, 2013

RobotDogPolice posted:

I'm not either, but some semblance of believability is nice in a show where you already have to suspend disbelief.

Definitely, we got people theorizing the guards were hosts because of how bad it was

Person of Interest did this from time to time as well, where they'd be in a dramatic "moving from A to B" moment while being shot at by dozens of trained soldiers and there's zero tension because the characters seem unconcerned

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I think it could be expected that the security team kinda sucks, the most they've had to deal with in 30 years is nerdy lab techs loving the robots. Most of them have probably never fired a gun outside of a firing range and now without any warning they're being shot at by machines with maxed out stats. It'd be like the animatronics at Disney World waking up one day and attacking the guests, they'd be able to do a lot of damage early on because nobody's expecting it. We as viewers expect the hosts to go rogue because that's what happens in science fiction stories (and the original movie the show's based on), but in the show they're all laughing at Stubbs for being paranoid because obviously that can never happen. They grew complacent and weren't ready for this.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

You don't need comms to see dead bodies and decide to shoot first and ask questions later, or act with some vague sense of having had training, especially when shooting hosts basically has no lasting consequences.

Hobo Clown posted:

I think it could be expected that the security team kinda sucks, the most they've had to deal with in 30 years is nerdy lab techs loving the robots. Most of them have probably never fired a gun outside of a firing range and now without any warning they're being shot at by machines with maxed out stats.
That's pretty poo poo as an excuse, sorry. They are armed guards, at the very least you can assume they have had training or experience in that field. You're handwaving it away like they're just regular employees who have had a gun put in their hand and sent off on their way.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Cant we just settle with "it was a bit silly"?

The intention was obviously to show the hosts being awesome and dangerous and massacrating humans like guests do to them. And it worked at times (like when Hector and Armistice first get their guns), and it was kinda dumb at other times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Shageletic posted:

EDIT: loving logic autists up in here.
Can you please stop making GBS threads on people with autism by comparing them to dipshits?

• Locked thread