Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They even did a mini-documentary on how incompetent they were for CitCon this year.

Yeah it was called CitCon *badumptish*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Trammel posted:

I don't think different builds are worth it. It'd be easier to have a single build with multiple feature toggles, and assign users to a bucket of features being tested (say based on the last two digits of their user-id). That way you don't have to worry about compiling xx different versions of the code, but you can still get metrics sent back associated with a user and the set of features being tested.

Identifying horrible leakers is a separate problem. I think Moma mentioned fractional differences in documentation, which might work, but doesn't scale well without automation. You could reasonably easily embed a user's unique ID into documentation during installation (say as variable amounts of whitespace), or perhaps request unique per-player patches during download, but it'd require effort and competence.

:rolleyes:

Look at this dude thinking he knows development better than Chris "Golden Hands" Roberts

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Why? They've repeatedly done live events with builds they were downloading while people were waiting outside. They even did a mini-documentary on how incompetent they were for CitCon this year.

The only thing that would surprise me at this point is if CIG did something right.

Well anytime they choose to do it yet again will baffle me just as much, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Yeah, can we switch to camera 2? Thanks, great. So for beer, you gonna boil your malt and your water. Water water. About four gallons of- yeah, it'll be here in a second, just waiting for the aqueduct to get built

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

ZenMaster posted:

It's cute when my baby fills his diaper and I yell out "The baby star marined his nappy again!!!" Everyone laughs and I change the baby and reset the joke by feeding him more prunes.

Hah, good one.

My wife gets pretty upset if I mention this non-game or this dead gay comedy forum. I guess the upside is that I can blabber away about EU4 or Stellaris whenever I want, since that's the lesser evil now.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

JugbandDude posted:

My wife gets pretty upset if I mention this non-game or this dead gay comedy forum.

Sever.

Then, therapy.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

cool new Polack jokes posted:

This bugs me too. Xian is also the contemporary Chinese name for China itself within the country. What are the other alien races and what real life stereotypes are they based on?

How do you mean about the "xian" thing? Do you mean Xinhua, New China?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pilz posted:

I know, but something about playing a multiplayer (especially MMO) game in singleplayer mode always felt weird to me. And yeah, I keep hearing mixed reports. A lot of people love it, but a lot of people hate it.

Elite dangerous is not an MMO and is barely a multiplayer game at all.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

:five:

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

MeLKoR posted:

Sever.

Then, therapy.

It's ok, I will laugh in the end.

When this game launches in about 6 years and our daughter is manning a turret in my Idris, she will beg to be part of our crew :smuggo:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

hakimashou posted:

Elite dangerous is not an MMO and is barely a multiplayer game at all.

It's barely a game.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Why? They've repeatedly done live events with builds they were downloading while people were waiting outside. They even did a mini-documentary on how incompetent they were for CitCon this year.

The only thing that would surprise me at this point is if CIG did something right.

The Aniversary livestream they said multiple times they were literally downloading the "freshest" build while they were talking lol.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

If it hadn't been for Citizen Dough
I'd been made a long time ago
Where did you come from, where did you go?
Where did you come from, Citizen Dough?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

trucutru posted:

It's barely a game.

I hear it is an inch deep and a mile wide :smug:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Which of you have been arguing feverishly about the release date of lod? Come on, fess up.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

quote:

Designer on Watch_Dogs, Far Cry Primal, Far Cry 4
Latest work doesn't give much weight to that voice.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

JugbandDude posted:

Hah, good one.

My wife gets pretty upset if I mention this non-game or this dead gay comedy forum. I guess the upside is that I can blabber away about EU4 or Stellaris whenever I want, since that's the lesser evil now.

Whenever my wife hears Twitch type voices coming from the computer room she'll yell "are you watching the stupid scam video game or chatting with the dead gay comedy forum people again" because she knows those are the only two things I get on twitch/discord for. She doesn't get upset though, she just likes to make fun of me for it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hamburger Test posted:

I'm the game designer who doesn't own an ethernet cable

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hamburger Test posted:

Considering the other things 4chan tends to like I'm not sure their opinion is a real great endorsement either.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

So he bailed from Ubisoft to work on SC? That's a stranger carer choice.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Maybe Chris will play his game again.

I'm pretty sure we will never see Chris play his game again.

This is kind of ironic because usually people who do these Kickstarters actually know how to play their own game. In this case though, the only thing Chris is playing is the backers.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sandweed posted:

So he bailed from Ubisoft to work on SC? That's a stranger carer choice.

Maybe he found Uplay inferior to the SC store.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

https://twitter.com/SeanNoonan/status/804835495171817472

Have you tried... making something good? If CIG put out something legitimately good and fun I'd play it in a heartbeat.

I am programmed for more than just hate.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

Have you tried... making something good? If CIG put out something legitimately good and fun I'd play it in a heartbeat.

It's really sums Star Citizen up for me, the impression internet people have of a game module that the vast majority of them can't play or even watch real gameplay videos of, is important. Why? If it's due to be released soon then you could just concentrate on making it as good as possible and worry about if people like it when they actually have it.

But no, in CIG land you'd make many internet aliases to argue with people that their impression of something not yet released was wrong.

https://twitter.com/SeanNoonan/status/804106985432055809

AP fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 7, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

CIG have a large number of very talented 3d artists. The idea that they could produce a functional FPS in an engine that is entirely focused on FPS games, so much that the literal "getting started" tutorial for it shows you how to create a functional FPS was never very far fetched.

The fact that they've taken 4 years to produce an FPS using an FPS engine is purely a testament to how badly they've hosed the engine up with their hacking. It's insane to think that I could download CryEngine today and have a functioning FPS game by just following the tutorials but they still can't get this poo poo out of closed alpha testing after over 4 years of work.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beet Wagon posted:

Nice to see all of 4chan is in the double secret closed alpha. Meanwhile 2.6 still isn't even on the PTU yet. Unless of course people are declaring that Star Marine is good without actually playing it yet. But no one would ever do that, right?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Chalks posted:

CIG have a large number of very talented 3d artists. The idea that they could produce a functional FPS in an engine that is entirely focused on FPS games, so much that the literal "getting started" tutorial for it shows you how to create a functional FPS was never very far fetched.

The fact that they've taken 4 years to produce an FPS using an FPS engine is purely a testament to how badly they've hosed the engine up with their hacking. It's insane to think that I could download CryEngine today and have a functioning FPS game by just following the tutorials but they still can't get this poo poo out of closed alpha testing after over 4 years of work.

Exactly. Nobody ever said "They can't make Star Marine" but for over a year now people have been wondering "Okay so where the gently caress is it?" and the unceremonious dumping out of what appears to be a shoddily built small-team fps game isn't exactly the triumphant victory everyone thinks it is.

Okay, so they finally made Star Marine. Good. Now why did it take so long and why does it look like hot cat poo poo?

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
It was clearly made a few months ago.

Beginning of the year we had smug as gently caress Roberts bitching that its already in the game. So the entire concept had clearly been scrapped.

Then by summer it became clear they weren't going to be releasing jackshit this year. Not a single second of SQ42 and no 2.7/3.0 just super minor updates. They needed an easy win. So Star Marine exists again.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
But.....but....I paid 1200 bucks for the Exploration Pack!!!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

:allears:

The ideas guy did all the hard work, now people just need to implement it, easy :v:

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

This is reminding me of My Tank is Fight!

Paging Zack Parsons

ahmini
May 5, 2009

TheLightPurges posted:

It was clearly made a few months ago.

Beginning of the year we had smug as gently caress Roberts bitching that its already in the game. So the entire concept had clearly been scrapped.

Then by summer it became clear they weren't going to be releasing jackshit this year. Not a single second of SQ42 and no 2.7/3.0 just super minor updates. They needed an easy win. So Star Marine exists again.

Bingo, this is the only reason why SM "exists" again.

It also explains why they're so very desperate to get it out. It would be the ultimate embarrassment (on top of all the others they've had this year) to knock up a relatively easy "gap filler" with the sole purpose of showing "progress" and then fail to get released in 2016.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

ahmini posted:

Bingo, this is the only reason why SM "exists" again.

It also explains why they're so very desperate to get it out. It would be the ultimate embarrassment (on top of all the others they've had this year) to knock up a relatively easy "gap filler" with the sole purpose of showing "progress" and then fail to get released in 2016.

And what a moonshot it is. An FPS built using an engine purpose-built for FPSs.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Honestly feel sort of bad for the devs in this instance. They've been ridden hard all year then in like June Chris comes in and says Star Marine is a thing to be made by them. "Make it more lethal than COD and I need it by Gamescom ideally"

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
I don't feel bad for the devs anymore, that guy joined CIG in August 2015, it was obviously CIG were taking advantage of the mentally ill at that point and rumours of how bad employees were treated were circulating among dev studios.

Anyone joining from that point onwards deserves what they get and anyone still there from earlier should really have left by now.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Gay people in video games trigger me so hard.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

AP posted:

I don't feel bad for the devs anymore, that guy joined CIG in August 2015, it was obviously CIG were taking advantage of the mentally ill at that point and rumours of how bad employees were treated were circulating among dev studios.

Anyone joining from that point onwards deserves what they get and anyone still there from earlier should really have left by now.

Oh yea I meant in that specific instance. Honestly at this point its enough of an obvious scam where I don't forgive the "just collecting a paycheck" excuse. The ethical seniors have already booked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Well, it's reassuring to know he's an rear end in a top hat about subjects other than Star Citizen.