Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
I don't feel bad for the IT dude who works at the MLM corporate office. If he had pride and a soul he'd be doing something else but he chooses to be a parasite on unsuspecting people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AP posted:

I don't feel bad for the devs anymore, that guy joined CIG in August 2015, it was obviously CIG were taking advantage of the mentally ill at that point and rumours of how bad employees were treated were circulating among dev studios.

Anyone joining from that point onwards deserves what they get and anyone still there from earlier should really have left by now.

Same here. The folks who were there early on at least have an excuse, but now that production has descended into a monstrous joke that only exists to milk backers I have no sympathy for them. There are plenty of other game companies out there that make actual games and don't waste millions of other people's money because they can. Whenever this clusterfuck collapses, either because CIG finally does release a steaming pile of poo poo or because CR finally outspends the money faucet and goes bankrupt, every one of them will be tainted by their affiliation with CIG. They'll spend the rest of their careers hearing "oh you worked on Star Citizen" along with a barely suppressed laugh (assuming they can even get a job working on games). The worst thing will be the new hires, the ones right out of college who don't know any better and assume that CIG's constant deluge of incompetence and waste is normal for game development.

At this part every one of them is a willful participant in a blatant scam. The sad part is that most of them probably don't realize that CIG is just as likely to gently caress them as their customers. Just look at what happened to 38 Studios.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

The real question is what heartbreaking and sickening calamity could cause the Stimperor to order it to fly half-staff.

Everybody has a great day?

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Some of them might be holding out that a publisher buys in like Digital Anvil.

Problem is Microsoft already had a stake in Digital Anvil at the time and they hadn't presold their game to millions of people before failing. SC the brand is poison to people outside the subreddit and theres little money to be made but mountains of technical debt and possible legal troubles.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
http://hexus.net/gaming/news/pc/82396-star-citizens-fps-stances-set-apart-crowd/

"In designing and engineering Star Citizen's FPS mode (which players will first test in Star Marine), we've made a conscious effort to throw out systems that have become standard in first-person shooters in favour of taking an entirely new look"

Can't wait to see this! Especially seeing as that was written 18 months ago. By now, CIG will have had enough time to truly redefine the genre.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Same here. The folks who were there early on at least have an excuse, but now that production has descended into a monstrous joke that only exists to milk backers I have no sympathy for them. There are plenty of other game companies out there that make actual games and don't waste millions of other people's money because they can. Whenever this clusterfuck collapses, either because CIG finally does release a steaming pile of poo poo or because CR finally outspends the money faucet and goes bankrupt, every one of them will be tainted by their affiliation with CIG. They'll spend the rest of their careers hearing "oh you worked on Star Citizen" along with a barely suppressed laugh (assuming they can even get a job working on games). The worst thing will be the new hires, the ones right out of college who don't know any better and assume that CIG's constant deluge of incompetence and waste is normal for game development.

At this part every one of them is a willful participant in a blatant scam. The sad part is that most of them probably don't realize that CIG is just as likely to gently caress them as their customers. Just look at what happened to 38 Studios.

Stop spreading FUD. :allears:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I was perusing the internets and ran across this interesting description of sunk cost fallacy:

The Internets posted:

Individuals commit the sunk cost fallacy when they continue a behavior or endeavor as a result of previously invested resources (time, money or effort) (Arkes & Blumer, 1985). This fallacy, which is related to status quo bias, can also be viewed as bias resulting from an ongoing commitment. For example, individuals sometimes order too much food and then over-eat ‘just to get their money’s worth’. Similarly, a person may have a $20 ticket to a concert and then drive for hours through a blizzard, just because s/he feels that s/he has to attend due to having made the initial investment. If the costs outweigh the benefits, the extra costs incurred (inconvenience, time or even money) are held in a different mental account than the one associated with the ticket transaction (Thaler, 1999).

The bit about holding the sunk cost in a "different mental account" explains a lot about the Shitizen cult. They frequently cite their gross expenses on spaceship.jpgs as "investments" be it in CiG itself or in a future tradable "commodity," rather than the truth of simply paying multiple thousands of dollars for an un-released and un-realized MMORPG.

The problem comes in that their purchases are really only feeding their mental hype for the "game" and reinforcing their desire to invest more into it. It borderlines on gambling addiction, except they are getting payouts in their imagination.

It's the exact same when people play the lotto: you justify the cost by saying to yourself: "Now I get to imagine myself winning all this money!" You paid a dollar for *dreams,* which rational people will point out you can have for free. You can't convince someone who just played the lotto to believe 100% that they will not win - because that ruins the dream they just paid for. Put another way, if someone who played the lotto accepted that they would not win, that suddenly moves the 1$ spent back into the mental account of "real money lost for no good reason." This is why a lot of people don't play the lotto.

It's the same with Star Citizens - there is no convincing them the game is a fraud because that would put thousands of dollars into a mental account of "real money lost for no reason."

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Well at least Shitizens can't cry foul when the same overzealous mods they keep ripping on /r/DS pull the same stunt and ban others.

I just got banned for this post (probably deleted) which is quite puzzling to say the least.

Amazing how something like that can get you banned.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

For any tax evaders out there:

Industrial Grade Cat Remover (Hides the entire post for a single infraction. Good for cruising over hundreds of pages)
Regular Strength Cat Remover (Only hides pictures if suspected of being pet related. May get updates to hide sections of irrelevant cat chatter)

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Chunjee posted:

Industrial Grade Cat Remover (Hides the entire post for a single infraction. Good for cruising over hundreds of pages)
Regular Strength Cat Remover (Only hides pictures if suspected of being pet related. May get updates to hide sections of irrelevant cat chatter)

Sad!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

I want to be able to enjoy my all-white male BDSMSSE with pirate rape dungeons without, experiencing gay NPCs. This ruins my immersion. No homo!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

'S me too. Freaking British Libertarians stealing my nick.

He still hasn't ignored me, but he did report me to one of the mods he called "useless" for brigading. I mentioned I was one person and I was sorry to hear of his innumeracy. And, oh, look! I am still posting!

So, don't you tell me I know nothing of the horrors of Parp, boys. I am out there in the trenches, fighting the good fight, showing the Citizens as the elitist losers they are.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Nicholas posted:

heres your 42 million dollar stretch goal

totally not related to HGTTG

OK, I have some black hole in my memory and I have to ask about it.

What is all this stuff about Sandy's favorite number? I thought the 42/towel was a known and open HHGG reference. Didn;t they mention it in early videos? Did they start denying this at some point? If so, why? I mean, who can say why CIG does anything, but what is really wrong with a HHGG reference like this? It couldn't possibly be a legal matter, just the number and a towel.

What am I missing here?

e: Accidentally typed SQ42 instead of HHGG initially, blech :P

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

D_Smart posted:

Well at least Shitizens can't cry foul when the same overzealous mods they keep ripping on /r/DS pull the same stunt and ban others.

I just got banned for this post (probably deleted) which is quite puzzling to say the least.

You called them “lying shills” and telling a liar they lie will get you banned every time. :D

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

What's puzzling about that? You admitted to being a non-shaver. As per the orders of Imperator Sandiosa that's a huge infraction.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

He doesn't usually look wasted.

Usually.

Still listed in AtV credits as the editor.

Oh, that clears up my concerns. This guy is the only person with a trace of charisma cig drags in front of a camera, and he appeared immediately after Escapaist called Sandi a racist/pubist

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

moveable shape posted:

Oh, that clears up my concerns. This guy is the only person with a trace of charisma cig drags in front of a camera, and he appeared immediately after Escapaist called Sandi a racist/pubist

Wow...I mean...really? Had he never been on screen before that?

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Orions Lord posted:

On a positive note, the backers are paying the salary for about 300 family's worldwide.

And it's almost Christmas.

Sucks that most of the peons will be working through christmas though

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

moveable shape posted:

Also this

AP posted:

Money is absolutely fine, I think he's pretty cool and he really isn't interested in computer games at all. He was the most likable person on those horrible twitch shows after all the others got fired/resigned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuC1Hw-S0tg&t=12s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukNj3p9VfOw&t=164s

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Oleyo posted:

OK, I have some black hole in my memory and I have to ask about it.

What is all this stuff about Sandy's favorite number? I thought the 42/towel was a known and open HHGG reference. Didn;t they mention it in early videos? Did they start denying this at some point? If so, why? I mean, who can say why CIG does anything, but what is really wrong with a HHGG reference like this? It couldn't possibly be a legal matter, just the number and a towel.

What am I missing here?

e: Accidentally typed SQ42 instead of HHGG initially, blech :P

Some posters put up a bunch of theorizing about that in the last thread. I think Derek did a longer write-up, but I doubt it made it to the blog. :allears: IIRC the consensus was that it is some sort of numerology thing with her, but also serves as a stupid HHGG reference in the old nerd shibboleth style.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sandweed posted:

Gay people in video games trigger me so hard.

Not even gay people, just the possibility that somebody could play as a gay dude with the same name and in the same game as my perfectly straight Shepard is literally Hitler stuff

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

your parents

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

BigglesSWE posted:

Wow...I mean...really? Had he never been on screen before that?

Actually, the first person they trotted out on the live stream after those accusations went public was some random black lady that nobody had seen before. It turned out she was the building manager, and many laughs were had when it became apparent that CIG was directly reacting to criticism in this thread. Later on they managed to find an actual employee of the company and she disappeared, never to be seen again.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

Nice photoshop Derpert, every1 knows you're buddies with the mods and did this for plausible deniability purposes/in collusion with big publishers

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Daztek posted:

:allears:

The ideas guy did all the hard work, now people just need to implement it, easy :v:

ChrisRobertsDesignMethod.txt

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
I'll read all these 10000 word long posts later. in the mean time, I want to remind everyone to call or visit their parents wherever possible. They raised you with love and care and would like to hear about the things you're getting up to in life

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I.N.R.I posted:

I'll read all these 10000 word long posts later. in the mean time, I want to remind everyone to call or visit their parents wherever possible. They raised you with love and care and would like to hear about the things you're getting up to in life

Nah.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chunjee posted:

Ban this vile filth.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

I.N.R.I posted:

Have you called your family lately, INRI? You've been busy helping us be better people, but don't neglect your own happiness! And make sure you drink enough water.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Not even gay people, just the possibility that somebody could play as a gay dude with the same name and in the same game as my perfectly straight Shepard is literally Hitler stuff

I don't even quite understand why people get up in arms about there being queer characters and characters of color and women characters and etc. Why does this bother them? Why does there need to be some plot-specific reason for all the characters to not be heterosexual, hypertrophied Teutonic demigods in homosocial settings? Do all the characters need to be attractive to the player? ...

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Actually, the first person they trotted out on the live stream after those accusations went public was some random black lady that nobody had seen before. It turned out she was the building manager, and many laughs were had when it became apparent that CIG was directly reacting to criticism in this thread. Later on they managed to find an actual employee of the company and she disappeared, never to be seen again.

Oh my god I forgot that.

Yes it was remarkably reactionary to the same degree as when the thread gave Sandi poo poo for the donut thing. The very next video she has a slice of pizza ready and takes a massive bite staring dead eyes directly into the camera the instant they are live.

Never change Sandi, none of this would be as funny or painful without you

:sandance::cig::lesnick:

moveable shape fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 7, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Star Citizen tomorrow, Star Citizen yesterday, but never Star Citizen today.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015
Somebody repost the spite pizza bite please, it was 100% real and almost to insane to believe

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I don't even quite understand why people get up in arms about there being queer characters and characters of color and women characters and etc. Why does this bother them? Why does there need to be some plot-specific reason for all the characters to not be heterosexual, hypertrophied Teutonic demigods in homosocial settings? Do all the characters need to be attractive to the player? ...
Homophobes are like that. It's not just that they don't like gays, they can't stand the thought that anyone anywhere might be gay. That's why you end up with people arguing against gay marriage.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Sunswipe posted:

Homophobes are like that. It's not just that they don't like gays, they can't stand the thought that anyone anywhere might be gay. That's why you end up with people arguing against gay marriage.

Hey man they aren't homophobic they are just nostalgic for a time when gay people were treated as sub human and everybody could have a good laugh about it. loving sjws

e; phone autocorrect sjws to she's this is political correctness gone mad

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Trammel posted:

I don't think different builds are worth it. It'd be easier to have a single build with multiple feature toggles, and assign users to a bucket of features being tested (say based on the last two digits of their user-id). That way you don't have to worry about compiling xx different versions of the code, but you can still get metrics sent back associated with a user and the set of features being tested.

Identifying horrible leakers is a separate problem. I think Moma mentioned fractional differences in documentation, which might work, but doesn't scale well without automation. You could reasonably easily embed a user's unique ID into documentation during installation (say as variable amounts of whitespace), or perhaps request unique per-player patches during download, but it'd require effort and competence.

Generated a UUID for the machine and embed it in files?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'm the game designer who doesn't own an ethernet cable

I understand nothing about game development, and I have a bunch of Cat5/Cat5E cables lying around here.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Every time Bioware does a homosexual character its always tacked on and doesn't actually add to the character; Like Bioware is going through a multiculturalism checklist before release to keep the angry bloggers happy. But now that I criticized Bioware that makes me a homophobe.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

moveable shape posted:

Personally, I'm glad CIG only decided to "dispute" the racist charge.......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I like you Beer, but GODDAMNIT STOP FREAKING REMINDING ME OF THE GODDAMN COLDBLOODED MURDER OF ONE OF MY FAVORITE STUDIOS ALREADY! IT IS STILL TOO GODDAMN SOON!

EDIT: A big huge tariff to commemorate the passing of Big Huge Games.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 7, 2016