Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'm the worst G-Fan as I've never seen Space Godzilla!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

I'm the worst G-Fan as I've never seen Space Godzilla!

no you're the best one don't sully your mind

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I need to see more Godzilla movies. All I've seen are 54, 98, 14, and Shin

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

Watch Vs the Smog Monster and Vs Megalon IMHO

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
MST3K version of the latter unironically.

Hedorah is a great movie, it's just also The 70s and might be made of LSD.

Track down Return of Godzilla and watch it the gently caress now. If you like Shin and 54, Return is great

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don't care if I'm the only one to say it but Godzilla 2000 owns and you should see it too.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
If you only see one 1999-2004 Godzilla movie, watch GMK.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Burkion posted:

MST3K version of the latter unironically.

Hedorah is a great movie, it's just also The 70s and might be made of LSD.

Track down Return of Godzilla and watch it the gently caress now. If you like Shin and 54, Return is great

Return is real easy to track down. So it's a great time to pick it up and watch!

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'm gonna have to watch GMK again one of these days, because I so do not get the love.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tezcatlipoca posted:

If you give me a timestamp or narrow it down to a section of the movie I'll see what I can do.

It's a little over an hour in, where mothra flies over his head and he's just like "Huh, weird"

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
I think GMK perfectly balances the fun monster-mash tone of the VS. films with the "nuclear horror" tone of the original. The effects are great, the battles are well choreographed, the human element is pretty good, and the "Godzilla is a consortium of angry ghosts" idea is interesting and a fresh take on the character. All in all, I think it does enough different to make it stand out from most other Godzilla movies, especially the Millennium ones, which generally looked good but followed tired formulas.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Fsmhunk posted:

It's a little over an hour in, where mothra flies over his head and he's just like "Huh, weird"

Quick and dirty

I don't like the suits in GMK very much. They seemed so rigid and cheap.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Quick and dirty

I don't like the suits in GMK very much. They seemed so rigid and cheap.

Everything in GMK is rigid and cheap. Baragon has the best suit.

GMK Godzilla's suit itself is just poorly made and unnatural looking. It tried to do a lot but the hips and the neck do not work well.

It's a real honest shame too, but it's unavoidable with how Toho operated with those films. AKA pump them out year after year no matter what gently caress giving production time to buff out the rough spots.

The story suffered because of that as well. GMK could have been THE big defining movie of the 2000s, but instead it just gave us some good designs

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It is a shame, because Gamera III left my jaw hanging open with how good it was and I went into GMK expecting more of the same. Got more of something, alright.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I've honestly never been that big of a fan of GMK. Aside from the suit issues, which others have mentioned, I've always found the human plot to be really muddled and occasionally poorly-written. I'm also not that big of a fan of magic in the Godzilla franchise (I know, I know), and GMK is one of the most explicitly mystical films of the entire series.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I really love the GMK suits, and I like how even after Toho pushed Kaneko to swap out Varan and Anguirrus for Mothra and King Ghidorah, he stuck to his guns by making the latter comparatively smaller and more "brittle" than any previous incarnation.

It's interesting because Final Wars actually mounts a similar campaign of lining up a bunch of classic monsters specifically for Godzilla to obliterate with ease, but rather than this dichotomy being reflected in the size or texture of the creatures, it's simply Godzilla beating a bunch of other monsters whose identities don't matter. Conversely, Godzilla's identity doesn't matter. He's important because of this arbitrary hierarchy of IPs, not because the symbolic relationship between him and all of these "contenders" is suggestive.

In GMK, however, there's a melancholy feeling to seeing Baragon having the most 'attractive' representation, but also being the thing that Godzilla destroys first; and this carries over into the tragedy of each successive fight, to the extent that Godzilla's victories actually become depressing. (Also, it's much better shot.)

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

GMK Godzilla's suit itself is just poorly made and unnatural looking. It tried to do a lot but the hips and the neck do not work well.

If I'm remembering right, the original plan was for the suit actor to use a more hunched-over, dinosaur-like posture, but it was nearly impossible for him to hold that stance for long enough so he used a more traditional upright posture. The GMK suit wasn't designed for that, and you can see that in how Godzilla's toes kind of angle up in some shots.

GMK might be my favorite Godzilla movie because of the supernatural angle. Making Godzilla a manifestation of the suffering Japan caused during the war gives him an actual purpose that's deeper than the "Beast From 20,000 Fathoms" riff he's usually been. The Heisei movies always suffered a bit in my opinion because they took a naturalistic approach to Godzilla that limited him to little more than a giant animal. GMK takes those shackles off and allows Godzilla to be purely malevolent, which makes him more compelling. He's not an animal acting on instinct, he's a monster, and you know it the moment he curb-stomps Baragon. There's no luring this Godzilla into a volcano with bird calls.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jimbot posted:

Return is real easy to track down. So it's a great time to pick it up and watch!

At this point, it would actually be easier to track down than 85, whose disc release is being held up by copyright issues regarding a piece of music used in it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I watched Shin before Return and I was surprised at how similar the two movies are.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spatulater bro! posted:

I watched Shin before Return and I was surprised at how similar the two movies are.

It's WEIRD.

The most fundamental difference between the two, I think, is entirely when they were made, and the fact that Shin is a stand alone film, while Return is a Sequel, capital S

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I enjoy GMK, but it's definitely not even 1/10th as good as any entry in the Gamera trilogy.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Liberal Idiot posted:

If I'm remembering right, the original plan was for the suit actor to use a more hunched-over, dinosaur-like posture, but it was nearly impossible for him to hold that stance for long enough so he used a more traditional upright posture. The GMK suit wasn't designed for that, and you can see that in how Godzilla's toes kind of angle up in some shots.

GMK might be my favorite Godzilla movie because of the supernatural angle. Making Godzilla a manifestation of the suffering Japan caused during the war gives him an actual purpose that's deeper than the "Beast From 20,000 Fathoms" riff he's usually been. The Heisei movies always suffered a bit in my opinion because they took a naturalistic approach to Godzilla that limited him to little more than a giant animal. GMK takes those shackles off and allows Godzilla to be purely malevolent, which makes him more compelling. He's not an animal acting on instinct, he's a monster, and you know it the moment he curb-stomps Baragon. There's no luring this Godzilla into a volcano with bird calls.

Agreed. Ironically what I like about Shin is that it takes things to the opposite extreme, where Godzilla has a very obvious animalistic lack of intelligence to it, where there's no playing on its thoughts or tricking it or luring it. It has an instinct and nothing more. and that's terrifying in its own right.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

Agreed. Ironically what I like about Shin is that it takes things to the opposite extreme, where Godzilla has a very obvious animalistic lack of intelligence to it, where there's no playing on its thoughts or tricking it or luring it. It has an instinct and nothing more. and that's terrifying in its own right.

Absolutely, to me Shin is the exemplar of the "naturalistic" Godzilla, where he's a wild animal acting out of confusion and/or fear. The Heisei movies have enough good qualities to recommend them on the whole, but Heisei Godzilla is more like the neighbor's dog that you don't want digging in your garden but if you yell at him he'll turn around and lope on home. He's domesticated, which to be fair is appropriate for the structure and tone of those films.

One of the reasons I really like the 2014 Godzilla is because it tries to split the difference between the naturalistic and supernatural nature of Godzilla. Godzilla and the MUTOs are shown to behave like animals, but the movie often presents them in the manner of mythical creatures and ends with mankind ascribing religious significance to Godzilla's actions. I don't think it's a coincidence that Bryan Cranston's character declares that the monsters will send the human race "back to the Stone Age."

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm in the same boat. Are any of the billion other Godzilla movies as serious as the 54? Really liked that one.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Popelmon posted:

I'm in the same boat. Are any of the billion other Godzilla movies as serious as the 54? Really liked that one.

Return of Godzilla is the closest you're going to get. Specifically that one, not Godzilla 1985. Well that and Godzilla King of the Monsters. If you've never seen King of the Monsters, give it a watch too- it's not AS good as the original, but it's a good monster movie all its own and has a very interesting perspective on the original film. It also has a line that's better than what was in the original in the same scene.

Otherwise a good one is Godzilla VS Mothra 1964 for serious Godzilla films.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Popelmon posted:

the most serious Godzilla movies, off the top of my head, are 54's immediate sequel, Godzilla Raids Again (which is bad, though I have a soft spot for it), Godzilla 1984 (which is good, if a bit dry), Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: All Out Giant Monsters Attack, which is basically schlock played straight (I don't particularly like it but it's a popular film among the wider fandom), the most recent American film, Godzilla 2014, on which opinions differ, and the most recent Japanese film, Shin Godzilla, which I enjoyed

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

My favorite bit about Raids Again is how apparently the Cinematographer let his assistant run the camera for the big fight scene, and in his excitement, he cranked the camera too fast, which is why the battle is so much faster paced than usual Kaiju action.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Choco1980 posted:

My favorite bit about Raids Again is how apparently the Cinematographer let his assistant run the camera for the big fight scene, and in his excitement, he cranked the camera too fast, which is why the battle is so much faster paced than usual Kaiju action.

Except... doesn't overcranking slow the motion when played back at 24fps?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I may have that story backwards and in his excitement he undercranked it? Regardless, it was in inexperience and nerves that made that scene so fast.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
It complicates things when you also figure in that most kaiju scenes were filmed in slomo so that everything would seem bigger and weightier.

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
While not a Godzilla movie per se, Rodan is fairly serious and builds up a decent horror/mystery vibe. I'd suggest it if you haven't seen it and are looking for films more in line with '54.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Rodan is incredible.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Rodan is incredible.

yeah its a top 5 Toho Kaiju movie for sure.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Good photo to show anyone who thinks Shin's second form is too "unrealistic". I still think that SG is a mutated frilled shark or close cousin.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

who the hell complains about Godzilla being unrealistic

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

who the hell complains about Godzilla being unrealistic

You would be loving shocked

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

there was actually a...let's call it "lively" debate when the designs of Godzilla 2014 and ShinGoji were first revealed about whether it's better to go with something vaguely plausible (square-cube law be damned) like G'14, or something weird and outlandish like ShinGoji. I recall quite a bit of arguing about feet, for example. Anyway, mix that in with a good old debate about whether or not Japanese special effects look too "fake" to be taken seriously when compared to $160m Hollwood blockbusters, and you've got a stew going.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Worst Bear posted:

While not a Godzilla movie per se, Rodan is fairly serious and builds up a decent horror/mystery vibe. I'd suggest it if you haven't seen it and are looking for films more in line with '54.

Similarly, the 90s Gamera trilogy is extremely good and no goofier than a movie about a fire breathing rocket turtle has to be on its face.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Similarly, the 90s Gamera trilogy is extremely good and no goofier than a movie about a fire breathing rocket turtle has to be on its face.

hell, by the end of the trilogy they get shockingly intense.

that trilogy kicks so much rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Burkion posted:

You would be loving shocked

"There weren't as many Americans in this film than what I'd like and it's kind of hard to read with all of those Japanese speaking their gobbly gook. 3/5 stars"

You loving know that this review exists somewhere.