Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
loving millennials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
To whoever linked that Sigvald LP, THANK YOU.

I lost it at "The helm gave the Orcs a vision of their greatest fear: Gork and Mork signing the Geneva Convention"

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOlAKqmy0Jc

Overview of the freebies we're getting.

Two new heroes for the Empire: Jade Wizard & Grey Wizard with access to the two new lores of magic: The Lore of Shadows & The Lore of Life which are also going to be added to some of the other races already in the game.

Also eleven new battle maps for campaign and custom battles.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Deakul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOlAKqmy0Jc

Overview of the freebies we're getting.

Two new heroes for the Empire: Jade Wizard & Grey Wizard with access to the two new lores of magic: The Lore of Shadows & The Lore of Life which are also going to be added to some of the other races already in the game.

Also eleven new battle maps for campaign and custom battles.

The Penumbral Pendulum, one of the strongest Wind spells in the game! Incidentally, the second Wind spell in the game.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

SickZip posted:

Mousillion and Middenland both look like their being geared up to become full playable factions in the near future. They appear as factions in custom battle now, the Red Duke has a unique model, and they've changed Middenlands roster (nothing added yet but they've removed all the Sigmar units)

If they give Mousillion the old VCs human auxiliary units I'll poo poo a brick

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Autsj posted:

From what I understand it increases the mass of the unit for the purpose of resisting the penetration and knock-down effects from a charge. Which is nowhere near as good, unfortunately.

At the very least it keeps your line coherent, even if it doesn't help with the fact that your infantry are likely being slaughtered by shock cav with full charge bonuses.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The most exciting part to me is a potentially playable Mousillion, it would be a fun starting location, I just hope they rip off the mod on the workshop that gives the faction bretonnian themed zombies.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah, adding subfactions with weird start locations is a great way to add huge amounts of variety to the game.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So, other than the obvious, does changing the unit size have any effects on the game? I feel like I read somewhere that playing with "ultra" unit size does something to magic. Does it also make the game harder/easier to play, or are all sizes created equal?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So, other than the obvious, does changing the unit size have any effects on the game? I feel like I read somewhere that playing with "ultra" unit size does something to magic. Does it also make the game harder/easier to play, or are all sizes created equal?

I think they've actually fixed magic to scale with unit sizes now. Before, damage spells did the same damage no matter what unit size. So if a unit has 50 models on Small, that could be 2000hp total. If it has 100 on Ultra, that's 4000hp. Naturally, a direct damage spell dealing 1000hp to an enemy unit is MUCH stronger on Small than Ultra.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Magic doesn't change so direct damage spells are more powerful the smaller the unit size though buffs are roughly the same potency. Single Model units like Giants/Lords/Varghulfs etc tend to be worse on larger unit sizes as well since there are more enemy models and they can only engage the same number. Their health and damage is boosted to help compensate though.

Ultimately the game is balanced around Large unit sizes. Smaller and Magic/single model units are hilariously dominant, bigger and they aren't as good. Large is what MP defaults to and has most interactions work properly.

:shrug:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Dwarves have so many research options but a lot of them are pretty mediocre, especially the later civic ones.

Bonus ld during siege defense is meh because the AI rarely initiates sieges in the first place and dwarves already have good ld.

+20% of a certain trade good produced feels like it would net you a trivial amount of money. +10% settlement income and toolmakers seem very good over the course of the game and you get them very early on.

I never upgraded the province ordinances because other stuff seemed more appealing. Master of stone and steel upgrade only giving another 5% discount to units but nothing else is a bummer when all the other upgrades basically double the effect.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

+Whatever% trade goods is basically useless, because why make a trade treaty when you should be confederating or infinite hell-war-ing everyone around you?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

wiegieman posted:

+Whatever% trade goods is basically useless, because why make a trade treaty when you should be confederating or infinite hell-war-ing everyone around you?

I'm pretty sure as the Dwarfs you shouldn't be war-ing the humans if you can help it...

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone played with the 25% larger units mod? It looks like fun if a bit clusterfucky, but then I enjoy some imbalance in my strategy games over Rock Paper Scissors balance.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

wiegieman posted:

I've tried endlessly to make trade-based economies work and it's usually a huge investment of money, effort, and time for minimal returns as opposed to not giving a poo poo about all that crap at all and just spamming whatever your faction's income building is everywhere instead of actually building trade resource buildings. Having your income pegged to the whim of the flighty AI is a terrible idea and I'm basically positive that any increased profit you might make from trade over tinker shops is immediately devoured by all the cash you'll need to spend continually bribing people to not hate you because you own more territory than a van down by the river.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Stephen9001 posted:

I'm pretty sure as the Dwarfs you shouldn't be war-ing the humans if you can help it...

Okay, Dwarfs and Humans don't fight, but the money you can make from trade pales in comparison to the money you can make from income buildings.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

The best success I've had with trade-based play is as the Empire. I just invaded Bretonnia and traded with all the elector counts until Chaos showed up. The Empire's +Growth edict also gives factionwide trade buffs (+5% per province REALLY adds up), and their trade buildings aren't bad as a secondary income, so it stacked up pretty high by the end of it. By the time I was starting to confederate, about a third of my income was from trade, which is a tidy chunk of change.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Trade empowers your allies though, right? It can't be all bad.

Then again I don't really min-max my way through campaigns so much as play how I think the faction should be played.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I found trade to be far more profitable than taking a province and taxing it.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Raiding your own provinces to force rebellions seems like something that they should fix so I stop doing it.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I'm really hoping for more "Race to Karak Eight Peaks" type stuff. As much as I loved CotB (I'm alone in this I'm aware) I think King and the Warlord was my favorite DLC overall because it gave the game more of a point than map painting. And the pressure to get down to K8P was real.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

fnordcircle posted:

I'm really hoping for more "Race to Karak Eight Peaks" type stuff. As much as I loved CotB (I'm alone in this I'm aware) I think King and the Warlord was my favorite DLC overall because it gave the game more of a point than map painting. And the pressure to get down to K8P was real.

It was real for Angrund but I feel like the highlight for Crooked Moon was less K8P and more their fun starting position - probably the best in the game if your goal is to fight as many different factions at once as possible. I didn't make it to K8P til endgame because I was so busy conquering the whole mountain range dividing the Empire and Bretonnia.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I'm super excited that the health potions have been removed in MP. Should make things interesting. CA is doing a pretty good job my bros.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
When is this unlocking? Midnight or the 7pm steam refresh?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Asehujiko posted:

CA forums claim noon eastern tomorrow, but that's the CA forums.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

fnordcircle posted:

CA forums claim noon eastern tomorrow, but that's the CA forums.

All the other DLC has been around that time.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CA has been saying on Twitter and the Steam Community that you should update your drivers for the DLC release, so probably go and do that.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Asehujiko posted:

4pm (ISH!) GMT according to today's stream

Kaza42 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 8, 2016

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Stephen9001 posted:

What? No. Wrong. Those loving lanky shits shortchanged you 2 pennies 100 years ago for that castle you built for them. gently caress them and gently caress their manling loving coins, it's time to take what is rightfully owed.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Korgan posted:

What? No. Wrong. Those loving lanky shits shortchanged you 2 pennies 100 years ago for that castle you built for them. gently caress them and gently caress their manling loving coins, it's time to take what is rightfully owed.
Important. You don't go grudging down their nation or whatever, you just go take the castle walls back. We've got to be honorable about this now.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Most Dwarfs would be okay with the money plus interest. Once the books are balanced and they've gotten an apology they're actually fine.

The fact that no Dwarf would ever pay back the money with interest or ever give an apology is why there are so many feuds between Dwarfs.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Ravenfood posted:

Important. You don't go grudging down their nation or whatever, you just go take the castle walls back. We've got to be honorable about this now.

And naturally, if any dwarf dies in the process of claiming the missing payment, their deaths must also be avenged at a later date. It's only proper.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The trade goods themselves should give global bonuses based on how much you are importing, like having dye make weaving houses more profitable, or salt giving bonus movement in snowy areas. They could have the same resource benefit different factions in different ways:

Salt
Empire/Dwarves: increases growth and recovery in meat producing buildings, for dwarves gives bonus movement for armies moving over snow.
Vampire Counts: Reduces upkeep for zombie type units
Greenskins: Improves recovery for cavalry/beast units

Then it's worth researching production bonuses because you're getting something more than just money that scales with production.

Note that right now some trade buildings are still worth it - gems cough up a lot of money and beer gives growth and public order.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dartonus posted:

And naturally, if any dwarf dies in the process of claiming the missing payment, their deaths must also be avenged at a later date. It's only proper.
Well, yeah. Goes without saying.

wiegieman posted:

Most Dwarfs would be okay with the money plus interest. Once the books are balanced and they've gotten an apology they're actually fine.

The fact that no Dwarf would ever pay back the money with interest or ever give an apology is why there are so many feuds between Dwarfs.
Like, all the Elves had to do to avoid the War of the Beard was say "it wasn't us, bros, and we're sorry that some of your countrymen are dead". But they didn't, so they lost their empire and the Phoenix Crown. Also, isn't that why Thorgrim is in some ways dangerously progressive for a Dwarf? He's all about actually ending the Grudges instead of just grumbling along that they're still there.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Kaza42 posted:

I think they've actually fixed magic to scale with unit sizes now. Before, damage spells did the same damage no matter what unit size. So if a unit has 50 models on Small, that could be 2000hp total. If it has 100 on Ultra, that's 4000hp. Naturally, a direct damage spell dealing 1000hp to an enemy unit is MUCH stronger on Small than Ultra.

They tweaked the DOT spells at some point so that they scale slightly with unit size, in the sense that units with more dudes in them generally take a bit more damage. Magic is otherwise unchanged. It doesn't count for much though and ultimately the game is balanced for Large.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I wonder how the wood elf vs orc matchup is going to play out. Orcs only real decent bet seems like it would be the doom diver, since their cavalry options are the least armored and their infantry seems like it would just be permanently kited. Welves seem like they're going to be extremely obnoxious

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Gay Horney posted:

I wonder how the wood elf vs orc matchup is going to play out. Orcs only real decent bet seems like it would be the doom diver, since their cavalry options are the least armored and their infantry seems like it would just be permanently kited. Welves seem like they're going to be extremely obnoxious

Goblins with silver shields + wolf riders may be helpful

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
A lot of the goblin units have skulk. Seems a good play would be to surround the elves and suddenly attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I'm super excited that the health potions have been removed in MP. Should make things interesting. CA is doing a pretty good job my bros.

Health potions were only removed on heroes, you can still get them on generic lords.
But yeah it owns.

• Locked thread