Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lohli
Jun 30, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Give information about your death first, then rage or whatever.

Also rage off mic.

Nobody wants to hear you screech "gently caress"/"BULLSHIT"/"HOW THE gently caress DID HE KILL ME" when being unhelpful by not telling folks what happened is bad enough.

While it's totally ok for the precise relaying of information to not be the first thing that comes to mind when you die(it really is a learned skill), that sort of shrill ragey screaming poo poo is something that is so annoying to listen to that it'll cause you to find yourself sitting alone in a voip channel while groups fill up around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Paradigmata posted:

Also people that get angry are usually bad players or wont improve, because they cant control their emotions and seem to be bad at adapting and learning from mistakes or just outright will blame someone else for their incompetence.

The ultimate truth of this game is that in the vast majority of cases when you die it's because you or your team did something very wrong

But still yell out WHAT THE gently caress every time you die because it's always so sudden

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

lohli posted:

In all seriousness, ranked is probably not where you should be if you're still learning the game. Ranked is where people usually go to play the game a little more seriously and it sucks to effectively play the game a man down because someone hasn't yet learned fundamentals like how to deal with various gadgets or general map layouts(let alone the actual rooms for callouts).

There's also the issue of if you queue with good players then it's going to inflate your rating and leave you hopelessly outclassed if you ever play ranked by yourself.

I disagree with this principle. Ranked will drop a new player into Copper league, which is a much easier game than casual 90% of the time. Of course then you'll be matched with people who are both bad and take the game seriously. Ugh.

This is a game where a man down is still fundamentally useful for cameras and callouts.

The single player situations and terrorist hunt should come first though.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The point I made wasn't that "I just got this game and I'm gonna play ranked" because you forget you have to be rank 25 to start playing ranked, it's not like these people still need to learn what key you use to reinforce a wall or that you should reinforce walls. My point is that people get really mad at anyone who isn't already the best player. If I know what I'm doing, and I'm just not skilled enough so I have a low KD or whatever then why the gently caress play this game at all if I can't use Ranked to help get better at playing this game seriously instead of casual where you end up just getting stomped by people way outside your skillset and getting yelled at anyway.

And that's the other thing, people will bitch at me for making GBS threads up ranked, and others will bitch at me for making GBS threads up casual. There's no loving winning and they just expect me to play private matches or play Thunt for the rest of my life until I learn how to be a pro player through osmosis or something.

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

I get mad when I'm pixel shot through something really dumb. For instance, on the top end of the stairs in Club House between the railing and the floor, or between the slots of a pallet on top of something, and so on. Places where the barrel of a gun wouldn't even fit and the optics would be blocked 100%. I don't know if those little no-collision/view spots are there for gameplay reasons or aesthetic reasons. Under a door, above a reinforcement with a hole, and everything else is all fair game, but those little spots are bullshit. I'm sure that having little floating bullet decals or just little flashes would betray the vision of the game, but I think it is too far in the other direction maybe.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ularg posted:

The point I made wasn't that "I just got this game and I'm gonna play ranked" because you forget you have to be rank 25 to start playing ranked, it's not like these people still need to learn what key you use to reinforce a wall or that you should reinforce walls. My point is that people get really mad at anyone who isn't already the best player. If I know what I'm doing, and I'm just not skilled enough so I have a low KD or whatever then why the gently caress play this game at all if I can't use Ranked to help get better at playing this game seriously instead of casual where you end up just getting stomped by people way outside your skillset and getting yelled at anyway.

And that's the other thing, people will bitch at me for making GBS threads up ranked, and others will bitch at me for making GBS threads up casual. There's no loving winning and they just expect me to play private matches or play Thunt for the rest of my life until I learn how to be a pro player through osmosis or something.
You should grow some skin, and just mute ragers. Well, in voice chat at least, Hard does not think it is important to allow you to exclude specific players from chat.

No competitive game has a community where you are not implicitly expected to know your poo poo* before heading out into ranked. In ideal world you learn in casual, and refine in ranked, but casual usually is a steaming pile of afterthought poo poo in general, and even worse than usual in this game.

*Your poo poo as in slightly more than any of your teammates.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I think it's quite obvious that I'm skinless and can never change that.

There's also no such thing as refining. To anyone on your team, if you aren't on the top of the scoreboard you are failing, not refining. Every game of Siege someone or someones have to lose, and whoever loses the most is the target.

Like this one pubbie in ranked I was teamed with for a few matches kept going "Noob team" "noobs" every time we lost a round until I got on the top of the scoreboard for kills and points and he magically shut his goddamn mouth when we lost rounds or games.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I solved my sound problem by installing Equalizer APO and finding settings that made my sound better and louder.

Then I went too loud and blew some of my headset, I get crackles on real bassy stuff now. But I can hear footsteps and other things much more clearly! Any recommendations for $50-75 headsets that won't blow out easily and also have a mic?

EDIT: My current set is the Microsft LifeChat LX-3000.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved
When do the 15 dollar accounts go on sale again, I want to buy some.

ItheWelp87 posted:

Hey this is the Rainbow Six: Siege thread, not the Make Penetratingly Accurate Character Assessment thread
Sorry
FIX YOUR GAME HARD! :sparkles:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I solved my sound problem by installing Equalizer APO and finding settings that made my sound better and louder.

Then I went too loud and blew some of my headset, I get crackles on real bassy stuff now. But I can hear footsteps and other things much more clearly! Any recommendations for $50-75 headsets that won't blow out easily and also have a mic?

EDIT: My current set is the Microsft LifeChat LX-3000.
Headsets generally speaking are a very poor investment. You have to go into >$150 range for them to start being worth their money. With your budget, I would get an attachable microphone and, say, these or these. Alternatively you could buy just a desktop microphone, or something similar, for less, I just remember Modmic being recommended by American goons.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I know this is weird, but I'm so used to my good set of speakers that I can tell where sounds are coming from just like headphones most of the time. So what I end up doing is having earbuds for voice chat so I don't have to worry about them hearing themselves through my mic, with the game audio through speakers.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I do have fairly nice speakers but I worry they would be muted with headphones/earbuds in for voice, and it would also restrict my playtime at night and when other people are home.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

People who only externalize their failure are the worst. I used to be bad about that. I always try to be mindful of blaming team mates, and this game doesn't give much else to blame except for my unhoned instincts.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

dogstile posted:

You can compete without being a raging fuckface though. I'm pretty high up in OW but you'll never hear me get angry because its a fun game and I know i'm not going pro anyway.

imo OW players are on average way more saltier and toxic than in R6.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

afkmacro posted:

imo OW players are on average way more saltier and toxic than in R6.
I imagine that younger as well.

BarDown
Jun 20, 2013

Peace among worlds
*burp*BITCHHHH*burp*

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I imagine that younger as well.

That's up for debate these days...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BarDown posted:

That's up for debate these days...
I imagine that going down to childish extremes, Siege is significantly worse than Overwatch both in accessibility and appeal.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Siege hats seem geared towards a certain age group

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Siege hats seem geared towards a certain age group
That's what I said looking at the unveiled elite Thermite skin.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

If i ever do run into a child in Seige they are playing Glaz, with no exceptions.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I think I've heard a kid talk only once, and they were playing Jager/Buck.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Ularg posted:

I know this is weird, but I'm so used to my good set of speakers that I can tell where sounds are coming from just like headphones most of the time. So what I end up doing is having earbuds for voice chat so I don't have to worry about them hearing themselves through my mic, with the game audio through speakers.

So you just have a whole bunch of background game noise playing over your voice chat?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Duggler posted:

So you just have a whole bunch of background game noise playing over your voice chat?
Yeah, unless he has shotgun/cardioid pattern microphone, which is unlikely.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Duggler posted:

I find hearing myself to be way more distracting than some background game noise tbf.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I find hearing myself to be way more distracting than some background game noise tbf.
How do you even hear yourself in R6, even with microphone+speakers?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Have been having some pretty annoying connection problems, get disconnected from matches (uplay servers down) while friends keep playing etc. also getting in a squad is a massive chore. Any easy solutions?

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 7, 2016

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah, unless he has shotgun/cardioid pattern microphone, which is unlikely.

I can't say off the top of my head what mic I have but it's not some lovely desktop or headset mic. I basically have to talk right into it. Constantly I join mumble or discord and am told "Hey I can't hear you can you turn your volume up?" because I leaned back in my chair.

Edit: Actually I do have the microphone name: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/sm/sm48-vocal-microphone

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

If i ever do run into a child in Seige they are playing Glaz, with no exceptions.

I'm surprised I haven't seen a plague of glazs myself considering this is a modern military shooter. I guess with the way gun play works in the game they dont need to be a sniper to have an inflated sense of skill and become operator as fuk.
I wonder who is the people who think they know what they're doing but don't character.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

You don't see many glaz players because glaz is terrible.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ularg posted:

I can't say off the top of my head what mic I have but it's not some lovely desktop or headset mic. I basically have to talk right into it. Constantly I join mumble or discord and am told "Hey I can't hear you can you turn your volume up?" because I leaned back in my chair.

Edit: Actually I do have the microphone name: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/sm/sm48-vocal-microphone
Oh drat, that's one of the better low-end serious microphones. Yeah, with this you won't get much speaker noise, the pattern is similar to the shotgun one. You probably then also have a decent pair of 2.0 speakers positioned well, which would explain how you manage playing without headphones.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Glaz is pretty great, his gun kills stuff really fast and shooting him is like shooting into a big soft pillow

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I'm surprised I haven't seen a plague of glazs myself considering this is a modern military shooter. I guess with the way gun play works in the game they dont need to be a sniper to have an inflated sense of skill and become operator as fuk.
I wonder who is the people who think they know what they're doing but don't character.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say with the last sentence, but Glaz is one of the least useful operators in the game. It's a dead weight on the team in any situation that isn't Plane with defenders going for spots other than the cargo hold. Even then, Glaz will often be just killed from the side by a peeking defender.

~Le Operator~ tryhard instalocks Jager usually. Attack has broader variety.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Have been having some pretty annoying connection problems, get disconnected from matches (uplay servers down) while friends keep playing etc. also getting in a squad is a massive chore. Any easy solutions?

What comes to mind first is NAT type : Open
Also the usual uplay ports forwarded in your router could help.

Speaking of headphones, I personally think it's worth investing a bit in them. If you don't roll your fat dxracer on the wire too often they should last a while.
I use a pair of HyperX's Cloud II (with custom R6 side panels mind you). I can hear your magnificent mouthbreathing in glorious simulated 7.1.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Oh drat, that's one of the better low-end serious microphones. Yeah, with this you won't get much speaker noise, the pattern is similar to the shotgun one. You probably then also have a decent pair of 2.0 speakers positioned well, which would explain how you manage playing without headphones.

Yea, the thing is, I can't really play with headphones anymore because of my chronic migraines. It takes about 15 minutes of headphone use before my entire head is throbbing back and forth and I can't focus my vision or think straight and start getting easily confused and angry. So it would always between the decision of "Do you want to sometimes hear the game/your voice, or do you want to deal with an agitated Ularg. But the answer I would come to is I just wouldn't get on voice chat anymore at that point.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hard posted:

Speaking of headphones, I personally think it's worth investing a bit in them. If you don't roll your fat dxracer on the wire too often they should last a while.
I use a pair of HyperX's Cloud II (with custom R6 side panels mind you). I can hear your magnificent mouthbreathing in glorious simulated 7.1.
Please don't invest anything in ~gaming~ audio or furniture. Also please fix your game Hard, my friend's HyperX Cloud II is still not being recognized by the game.

Ularg posted:

Yea, the thing is, I can't really play with headphones anymore because of my chronic migraines. It takes about 15 minutes of headphone use before my entire head is throbbing back and forth and I can't focus my vision or think straight and start getting easily confused and angry. So it would always between the decision of "Do you want to sometimes hear the game/your voice, or do you want to deal with an agitated Ularg. But the answer I would come to is I just wouldn't get on voice chat anymore at that point.
:rip: Fair enough, video game is not worth a migraine.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cinci zoo sniper posted:

How do you even hear yourself in R6, even with microphone+speakers?

Well, my voice comes out of the speakers and back into the microphone, and then it's relayed to me through their voice chat. Which I find disorienting.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm not sure what you are trying to say with the last sentence, but Glaz is one of the least useful operators in the game. It's a dead weight on the team in any situation that isn't Plane with defenders going for spots other than the cargo hold. Even then, Glaz will often be just killed from the side by a peeking defender.

~Le Operator~ tryhard instalocks Jager usually. Attack has broader variety.

~Le Operator~ usually picks Ash, in my experience. And Glaz can be kinda scary, his rifle does a LOT of damage. You have to be good at the game to clutch with him but he will gently caress you up.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Well, my voice comes out of the speakers and back into the microphone, and then it's relayed to me through their voice chat. Which I find disorienting.
Yeah that's my question, what exactly is the situation that your voice comes out of the speakers? :confused:

Cup Runneth Over posted:

~Le Operator~ usually picks Ash, in my experience. And Glaz can be kinda scary, his rifle does a LOT of damage. You have to be good at the game to clutch with him but he will gently caress you up.
Every operator can be scary, Tachanka's LMG does plenty of damage as well. Problem is that much like Tachanka, you are physically unable to position yourself well as Glaz in the majority of scenarios. Another problem is the inherent weakness of single-action weapons, where they will consistently lose in damage dealt to anything automatic due to personal aim and movement of all parties, so long as we talk about any indoors shooting. That's why it is uncommon to see Twitch or Recruit with 417, or Buck with CAMRS. Sure, the one shot power there is superior to anything short of a shotgun put to your ribs, but in a ~sustained engagement~ they will lose to automatics, especially considering that you can't just spray the head area for an instant kill.

Otherwise I think you have a good point about ~Le Operators~ picking 3 speed attackers, in line with current meta.

Edit: "Position yourself well" as in the optimal way.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 7, 2016

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I got some G430s on sale during black Friday and they are pretty good. Got a few comments on my mic sounding different but other than that they have been great.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Maybe I'm wrong but I always felt it was a trend that people who over estimate themselves gravitate to the "hard to use" class/character to prove themselves. But it ends up being nonsense like 3 snipers on 2fort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but I always felt it was a trend that people who over estimate themselves gravitate to the "hard to use" class/character to prove themselves. But it ends up being nonsense like 3 snipers on 2fort
That's rarely the case, usually the play whatever is "the best" fad at the moment, to maximize their stats. Sure, some try to make point by playing "hard to use" classes, but they usually are over it fairly quickly, and in Siege it's either useless or okay.

• Locked thread