Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

pebble looks cool but it's no moma's space belt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

is it the bearded heavy metal band looking kinda guy?

https://twitter.com/ChambersArt/status/786692462890848256

I assume you mean the above, no, he's boss of Foundry 42 Frankfurt.

If I did know any other names I'd try to trick Moma into toxxing himself before posting them.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Samizdata posted:

The cool kids are all drinking Shaved Roberts. The more you know...

Nah, just you and Sandi. Makes you think...

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

The Titanic posted:

It's been a while, so I may be a bit fuzzy on the details.

This was all at the very outset of everything. Sandi wasn't married to Chris, the ideas were still original. This whole Sq42 thing came around at some point, and everybody was like "Oh! Like Hitchhikers Guide! Haha!" And instead of go with it, Sandi determined that it wasn't in fact a HHGTTG reference, but instead it was her favorite number. So it's all original and totally not cribbing on Douglas Adams.

As for the towel, no idea? I'm sure towels are her favorite bathroom item or something.

Somebody like Beer can probably correct me if I'm way off base. This is some early days stuff when I wasn't really caring too much because the game was still feasible and not a train wreck.

This is just bizarre. I vaguely remember the towel from back when I followed SC as an actual game. I seem to recall it going something like "haha, remember your towel is the most important thing to bring to space! *wink wink*. I mean it was a pretty inoffensive nod, really, and not a pure IP ripoff like some later stuff. Why would you even try to subvert/hide it? It's like they can't help but be shady about everything, no matter how inconsequential.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Samizdata posted:

Actually, I feel the issue is that most people that would actually care about a LGBT option would look at what Bioware was offering and see them throwing something in at the last minute, relatively speaking, just so they can pull a CIG, pat themselves on the back and say "Look how progressive we are!" basically cheapening the thing right down the line.

That's my take as well. I've had two different people tell me (to my face while drinking my booze) I'm a bigot for thinking Witcher 3 is a better game than Dragon Age 3 precisely because DA3 is progressive (and witcher obvious is not) The cynic in me says Bioware does it to prevent internet backlash and get cheap sales.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Thoatse posted:

Nah, just you and Sandi. Makes you think...

<pulls waistband of jeans away from waist, then looks at arm>

Nope. Not the Sandi!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Samizdata posted:

My whole philosophy is that it is a cold cruel universe out there, and if you meet someone you connect with, yay you! Everything else is just engineering challenges. Also, if it is consensual, rock on!

I agree and appreciate your philosophy. I hope many others will pick it up as well. :hfive:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Eldragon posted:

That's my take as well. I've had two different people tell me (to my face while drinking my booze) I'm a bigot for thinking Witcher 3 is a better game than Dragon Age 3 precisely because DA3 is progressive (and witcher obvious is not) The cynic in me says Bioware does it to prevent internet backlash and get cheap sales.

I pretty much agree with you. (Never played any DA but Origins and never finished it due to a HD crash. Also need to play Witcher 2 (the only one I have) more, but the combat system just isn't grabbing me.)

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Ugh this is boring why is nothing funny happening yet?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

Someone post how many people are using Derek's forum he made after he vowed to never return here again. Maybe that will be funny.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

ME1's options were straight, excepting the two spots where you can uh "romance" the asari (one consort, one party member) with Shephards of either sex.

ME2's options were straight Sheps & lesbian/bisexual lady Sheps. I thought male Shepards could romance Thane (the green alien bro), but apparently I was misremembering this because the wiki says he's an option only for ladies. (Disclosure: I totally hated romance in ME2, somehow my Shepard got date-raped by Jack and it was the worst. I don't know how I blundered into an affair with the skinhead option.) Anyway, I'm pretty sure your cynical take is the correct take.

If I ever replay that, I'm totally going for a Jack romance. Can't for the life of me remember why I went with Tali. Scary skinhead chick gonna team up with my butt-ugly Shepard to save the galaxy! Woo hoo!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

CIG is trying hard to keep a lid on things for the December sale, I bet dirty leaver poo poo is going to go crazy in January.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Samizdata posted:

<pulls waistband of jeans away from waist, then looks at arm>

Nope. Not the Sandi!

You're enjoying a Shaved Roberts, not Shaved Samizdata you silly goose.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Samizdata posted:

'S me too. Freaking British Libertarians stealing my nick.

He still hasn't ignored me, but he did report me to one of the mods he called "useless" for brigading. I mentioned I was one person and I was sorry to hear of his innumeracy. And, oh, look! I am still posting!

So, don't you tell me I know nothing of the horrors of Parp, boys. I am out there in the trenches, fighting the good fight, showing the Citizens as the elitist losers they are.

While he may have reported you, it was his post that ended up getting removed there.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

AP posted:

CIG is trying hard to keep a lid on things for the December sale, I bet dirty leaver poo poo is going to go crazy in January.
Lame.

When is the most realistic date for me to be playing Star Marine if I'm not an Operating Evocati XVIII Supreme Being?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sunswipe posted:

If I was a cynic, I'd say it's because of a fear that the average gamer might find two men going at it distasteful, but would be fine with two women making the beast with two clits. And I am a cynic, so that's what I think.

I don't want to get too in depth here because my opinion may not be too popular. But I feel like lesbian is easier for a guy to take in entertainment than it is in real life. Fake relationships are also easy, and guys tend to enjoy two girls going at it like crazy. But if you go beyond "making the beast with two clits" there is a nice drop off of acceptance, understanding, and compassion. The amount of "I'm just experimenting" and "I'm doing it to make my ___ jealous." Is a lot too, and that can be rather heartbreaking at times as well. But that's another topic for another time with lots of tears and drinks! Definitely not for the Star Citizen thread of successful game management techniques! :shobon:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Breetai posted:

I mean, it is fractally dumb. The closer you look at it, the dumber it gets.

Posting from the past because this is excellent.

his nibs posted:

I love it when MoMA gets all feisty

Reminder, MoMA has preordered to the tune of thousands of dollars. He has sunk cost fallacy out the wazoo.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

The Titanic posted:

I don't want to get too in depth here because my opinion may not be too popular. But I feel like lesbian is easier for a guy to take in entertainment than it is in real life. Fake relationships are also easy, and guys tend to enjoy two girls going at it like crazy. But if you go beyond "making the beast with two clits" there is a nice drop off of acceptance, understanding, and compassion. The amount of "I'm just experimenting" and "I'm doing it to make my ___ jealous." Is a lot too, and that can be rather heartbreaking at times as well. But that's another topic for another time with lots of tears and drinks! Definitely not for the Star Citizen thread of successful game management techniques! :shobon:

I hope :reddit: is reading this and feeling strange that they have no idea what you are talking about and it's scary for them :D

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Oleyo posted:

This is just bizarre. I vaguely remember the towel from back when I followed SC as an actual game. I seem to recall it going something like "haha, remember your towel is the most important thing to bring to space! *wink wink*. I mean it was a pretty inoffensive nod, really, and not a pure IP ripoff like some later stuff. Why would you even try to subvert/hide it? It's like they can't help but be shady about everything, no matter how inconsequential.

My bet would be that Chris Roberts knowingly rips this stuff off, but has a hard time admitting that he's creatively bankrupt. It's like if he only uses the Dune sandworm "a little bit" it's still mostly his creation on spectacle. Unfortunately for the whole Douglas Adams thing, it's pretty horrifically blatant. From the towel to everything else.

His whole game, from title to the details, is a rip off from better, original concepts from people far better at it than him.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

two hot girls going at it: loving amazing

two hot guys going at it: loving disgusting

p much accurate more or less for the last 10,000 years

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
which is dumb because most everyone would go either way given the opportunity

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
that's a hint moma, take it
:corrupt:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I've got PWO brain now, so expect even dumber poo poo from me than usual. I also think I missed an Eldragon response to one of my earlier posts? Sorry, man, I can't find it and I'm sorta braindead right now. I'll be happy to chat with you over PMs if you've got plat.

Sunswipe posted:

If I ever replay that, I'm totally going for a Jack romance. Can't for the life of me remember why I went with Tali. Scary skinhead chick gonna team up with my butt-ugly Shepard to save the galaxy! Woo hoo!

I did my best to make my Shep look like Reno from Leon: The Professional. Having a crying girl with a fashy cut come at my digital donger was still one of the most frightening moments in gaming for me.

The Titanic posted:

I think it's a fair enough topic given the rest of our magnificent derails! Especially since it's something that touches on the CIG community one way or another. Having women in game who appeal to the loudest audience segment is a winning marketing strategy; having women who don't appeal to that segment but do appeal to other, quieter segments has less obvious appeal from their marketing dept's perspective. (Whoever makes up their marketing dept now, be it Sandi or an external contractor.)

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

Lame.

When is the most realistic date for me to be playing Star Marine if I'm not an Operating Evocati XVIII Supreme Being?

I'm not sure, it depends I guess on if releasing something broken and poo poo is better than ending 2016 without releasing anything.

2017 is going to be crazy.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
and even if its shoehorned in sometimes, I give bioware a golfclap for even including actually gay, man on man romances

down with the hetronormative patriarchy btw

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

TheAgent posted:

and even if its shoehorned in sometimes, I give bioware a golfclap for even including actually gay, man on man romances

But adding gay dudes is a slippery slope to 63 genders!

That's only 6 away from the funny sex number!!!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
and contrary to what the CW teaches us, gay people are as ugly as straight people

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm writing my lena luther x supergirl ship right now, erryone shut the gently caress up

maybe a schott x olsen if I get another glass of chardonnay in me and I'm feeling a little fabulous

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

I too am down with the heteronormative patriarchy.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
the most fabulous wine is lambrusco

i drink it while browsing jpegs

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Philistine. At least browse TGAs.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Tippis posted:

Philistine. At least browse TGAs.

how am i going to feel fabulous if i don't look at something as lowbrow as possible while drinking my fizzy booze

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

no, prosecco is where its loving at if you want to get trashed and have a weird night experimenting with your best friend

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

TheAgent posted:

no, prosecco is where its loving at if you want to get trashed and have a weird night experimenting with your best friend

that sounds like adventure, agent, and there's no adventure allowed in the stimpire

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

I mean if your best friend is a herald or other ship from the great, skinhead homosexual game star citizen

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
how many of those guys unironically describe themselves as incels

:( thinking about the community just gets me down, time to enjoy some bubbly

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Thoatse posted:

You're enjoying a Shaved Roberts, not Shaved Samizdata you silly goose.

No, was checking to make sure I was still an outie and had not acquired a temp tat. No change on those fronts.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

that sounds like adventure, agent, and there's no adventure allowed in the stimpire
look sometimes we go into the meatgrinder together but its not a sexual thing we just like to be spun around lots of huge manmeats that get into all of our orifices somehow, like any bros from the same frat would do

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mirificus posted:

While he may have reported you, it was his post that ended up getting removed there.

Lovely. It just gets me, above and beyond their Stockholm Syndrome cultishness, how damned :smug: they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TheAgent posted:

two hot girls going at it: loving amazing

two hot guys going at it: loving disgusting

p much accurate more or less for the last 10,000 years
It's really only been in the last 100 years that it's changed from

two hot girls going at it: what the gently caress are you talking about how do girls have sex with each other they don't even have dicks you idiot