Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wasn't going to pay it much mind but as far as short stories go that's not a bad one. Don't think I'll buy the anthology though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
So, I went out and bought the anthology, and it’s pretty decent. It has the same ratio of hits to critical failures, so it’s really not something you need in your life. When it hits, it’s great, but when it misses, it’s really really really poo poo.

The Great:
- Fee Fi Foh Fum, about a British tribe defending against Titans that crawl from the sea, feels both in character and genuinely offers something new. It’s a great addition to the universe, and the artwork is both magical and straight-up horrifying. Best new titan design.

- Memory Maze, the free comic they posted on io9, remains solid as heck.

- Live and Let Die, about a group of survivors making a wretched existence in the underground city beneath Titan-infested Trost, is pretty solid and feels in character with the series.

- Skies Above is a cool piece about the scientists who designed the 3d gear trying to invent new technology that the government isn’t too keen on.

The Garbage:
- Attack on Attack on Titan - just lovely 4-panel gags where the punchline is violence or vomit. Feels like a zero-effort South Park take on the series.

- Attack on Playtime - A spoilt kid makes her pet titan eat the school teachers she hates in a preteen power fantasy. I can’t help but feel like it’s sort of getting into an uncomfortable school shooting metaphor, and it just doesn’t do anything at all interesting with it’s premise.

- Bahamut - Incoherent and self-absorbed. Notable for introducing actual black characters into the series, which is nice, but I would prefer it if they were in a better story.

The rest of the story fall into the decent-but-mediocre range, and are really only for die-hard fans of the series.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Raws are starting to leak for 88.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Squidster posted:

So, I went out and bought the anthology, and it’s pretty decent. It has the same ratio of hits to critical failures, so it’s really not something you need in your life. When it hits, it’s great, but when it misses, it’s really really really poo poo.

The Great:
- Fee Fi Foh Fum, about a British tribe defending against Titans that crawl from the sea, feels both in character and genuinely offers something new. It’s a great addition to the universe, and the artwork is both magical and straight-up horrifying. Best new titan design.

- Memory Maze, the free comic they posted on io9, remains solid as heck.

- Live and Let Die, about a group of survivors making a wretched existence in the underground city beneath Titan-infested Trost, is pretty solid and feels in character with the series.

- Skies Above is a cool piece about the scientists who designed the 3d gear trying to invent new technology that the government isn’t too keen on.

The Garbage:
- Attack on Attack on Titan - just lovely 4-panel gags where the punchline is violence or vomit. Feels like a zero-effort South Park take on the series.

- Attack on Playtime - A spoilt kid makes her pet titan eat the school teachers she hates in a preteen power fantasy. I can’t help but feel like it’s sort of getting into an uncomfortable school shooting metaphor, and it just doesn’t do anything at all interesting with it’s premise.

- Bahamut - Incoherent and self-absorbed. Notable for introducing actual black characters into the series, which is nice, but I would prefer it if they were in a better story.

The rest of the story fall into the decent-but-mediocre range, and are really only for die-hard fans of the series.

So uh, let's all just go to fanfiction.net then

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I wasn't going to pay it much mind but as far as short stories go that's not a bad one. Don't think I'll buy the anthology though.

Before reading the comic and after hearing it was sad, I immediately thought "bet it's about a child who comes back to its parents as a titan", and it turns out I was right!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Chapter 88:

http://imgbox.com/0ZoWOGIs

There's a pretty big English translation fail, which isn't really the translator's fault: the name of Eren's titan is translated at the "Attack Titan," but the actual name is "Shingeki no Kyojin," which of course is a title drop, but you can't do a title drop in English since it would be stupid to say the titan's name is "Attack on Titan."

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 8, 2016

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Basement delivered. 2016 has at least one positive note.

No idea how the story's going to unfold from here. From day 1, Wall Maria has been the entire battleground. How the hell are they going to cross the ocean and advance with no map? Maybe Annie (possibly Reiner?) will be their guide.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So would the true name be the Attack-On Titan?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly based off the dialogue "Advancing Titan" really makes the most sense but they went for Attack as the translation so you either lose the name-drop or you lose the best meaning. It's a crappy side effect of sticking with the Engrishy name.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Still think it's nanomachines, not magic

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Archenteron posted:

Don't smirk Grisha. It sounds really cool in Ancient Eldian.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Archenteron posted:

I think a more sensible intended interpretation would be Persevering Titan

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm guessing that collecting all the 9 titans into one body will allow the person to live past the 13 year time limit. Which means Eren or Armin is going to sacrifice themselves at the end to save the other.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Hey, that's the name of the show!

Big Boner Stacy posted:

I think a more sensible intended interpretation would be Persevering Titan

The Relentless Titan? It maintains the meaning of always striving forward while also working as title for a horror story.

bondster
May 6, 2007

RatHat posted:

I'm guessing that collecting all the 9 titans into one body will allow the person to live past the 13 year time limit. Which means Eren or Armin is going to sacrifice themselves at the end to save the other.

They said in the chapter that Ymir was the first to die at the 13 year time limit, so unless there's some plot bullshit its gonna be a downer ending after all!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Legal link

http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics_read?volume_id=273&chapter_num=88.00

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Legal but paywalled still

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
As far as paywalls go crunchyroll's is dirt cheap. Just use a disposable free month if you have to.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If whenever someone with a titan shifter's power dies without passing it on (being eaten) that power goes on to a random Eldian, then by forcing the entirety (or, the vast majority) of the Eldian population in an enclosed area you can "collect" titan shifters over time.

I wonder if this was the King's plan--to slowly gather back all the shifters in one person by controlling where they incarnate.

Oddly enough, the Marlian's and Eldian's outside the wall coming after the coordinate power actually helps the plan, since it involves shifter's outside the King's control entering his/her territory. And regardless of if they eat the King or the King eats them, the titan shifter power is further concentrated into fewer individuals.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 8, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

change my name posted:

Still think it's nanomachines, not magic

Any sufficiently advanced technology, etc etc.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
So if I'm reading the right translation then if a shifter comes to the end of their apparent lifespan and don't transfer it to another shifter then their power is rebirthed randomly like the Avatar? I can't imagine that the lifespan expiration info is false based on that random plot point thrown out.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Archenteron posted:

Apply directly to the nape.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shneak posted:

So if I'm reading the right translation then if a shifter comes to the end of their apparent lifespan and don't transfer it to another shifter then their power is rebirthed randomly like the Avatar? I can't imagine that the lifespan expiration info is false based on that random plot point thrown out.

It's like devil fruits except they're edible people.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

13 year time limit means Kruger probably didn't have the attack titan's power when he first meets Grisha as a kid? They don't provide a concrete timeline but it seems like Kruger inherited the titan's power at some point between when Grisha first meets him and when Grisha joined the movement.

Kruger said he had a co-conspirator in the Marley government but it's likely that there are more that would have had to have been holding on to the power since it was never under Marley control, which makes you wonder what their plan has been for using the attack titan power over the last several decades.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
With the news that anime season 2 is coming in April 2017, does anyone have a guess as to how far they would cover? I just don't want to bother following it every week if it's as DBZ-esque and dragged out as it was during the Annie arc and if it's gonna look like they can't cover as many arcs and filler the poo poo out of every chapter.

I know it's kinda hard to gauge how "long" an arc is by reading the manga but I feel like I would be horrible at judging it and trying to guess where they can make a clean cutoff for the end of season 2.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Willsun posted:

With the news that anime season 2 is coming in April 2017, does anyone have a guess as to how far they would cover? I just don't want to bother following it every week if it's as DBZ-esque and dragged out as it was during the Annie arc and if it's gonna look like they can't cover as many arcs and filler the poo poo out of every chapter.

I know it's kinda hard to gauge how "long" an arc is by reading the manga but I feel like I would be horrible at judging it and trying to guess where they can make a clean cutoff for the end of season 2.

Probably to the point of Eren's capture.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
End of the Uprising arc (Chapter 69), surely. It fits so well because there's a time skip right afterwards anyway and you have a great post-credits potential in the scene where Zeke makes his first appearance after kicking Reiner's rear end.

The end of episode 13 will be the end of Chapter 50 where Eren uses the coordinate for the first time.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Yeah end of uprisings seems right assuming 26 episodes. The ending credits of the last episode will probably be Bert and Reiner waiting on Wall Maria

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder when Reiner/Bertholdt/Annie got their titan powers. I imagine they don't have that many years left, right? Since at the very least they had them back when the walls were first broken.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder when Reiner/Bertholdt/Annie got their titan powers. I imagine they don't have that many years left, right? Since at the very least they had them back when the walls were first broken.

If they got them right before they broke the walls then they have about the same time left as Eren.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

If Shadis met Grisha 20 years ago and the walls fell 5-6 years ago, that makes Grisha alive for atleast 14 years with the titan power. I guess the curse must be a slow, noticeable death.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

RatHat posted:

If they got them right before they broke the walls then they have about the same time left as Eren.

Probably a year or two less considering how much control they had over their titan forms.
I'd imagine they'd have had to go through some amount of training before being sent into "combat" to make sure they're not wasting titans and potentially giving all the shifters over to the enemy.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sub Harrison posted:

If Shadis met Grisha 20 years ago and the walls fell 5-6 years ago, that makes Grisha alive for atleast 14 years with the titan power. I guess the curse must be a slow, noticeable death.

Seeing how OWL is all kinds of hosed up in the face yeah

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Everyone in the wall has the Titan ability within them, correct?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheKingofSprings posted:

Everyone in the wall has the Titan ability within them, correct?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Everyone in the wall (possibly, but not necessarily excluding a select few of foreign bloodlines) have the potential to become titans if they are injected with titan spinal fluid (or perhaps in some other fashion?). This is something that is unique to people of Eldian descent. They could also spontaneously develop the shifter ability if a shifter dies without being eaten.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Studio WIT wishes us a Merry Christmas - IN HELL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmWAEQ8qIc4

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well dang, i guess i'm still excited for more of the anime after all.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm glad we're getting more fights in which Eren gets utterly wrecked.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Sub Harrison posted:

What I'm here wondering is how much time Zeke has left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.

Squidster posted:

Studio WIT wishes us a Merry Christmas - IN HELL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmWAEQ8qIc4

Here is a link without region lock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8IthrzLP94